Menu

Hey Joanne, how do you pronounce your name?

Katy

How do you pronounce Joanne?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce the name Joanne?

• Jo Anne
    • Joan-ney
    • Joan
    • Other, explained below
    • Hey! Don't post polls about my name when I'm not online!
    • What? You think about the pronunciations of names on the board? Why?

I've known two people who spell it that way, one of them pronounced it Jo-Anne, one pronounced it Joan-ney.  Every time I read your name I alternate pronunciations, so I thought it was time to ask.

Edited to add a poll because... fun!

I didn't even know there were other pronunciations of that spelling. Now the butchering of my own name makes so much more sense, if even Joanne can be messed with.

And, oddly, my mom gave me the middle name "Joan" and it is pronounced...Jo-anne. Why, you may join me in asking? Because that is her middle name and spelling, and my grandparents were taught that was the pronunciation of Joan of Arc when they were in school in the 1920s. Go figure.

• Like 6

My middle daughter misspelled her middle name Joann on an official state document. She said that she didn't know how to spell it and asked dh and he just said no e, so she put Joan on the form. I told her that's not even Joann (as in Joe Ann), that's Joan! I called and there is no way to change the spelling on this form. It so so stupid!

• Like 1

My middle daughter misspelled her middle name Joann on an official state document. She said that she didn't know how to spell it and asked dh and he just said no e, so she put Joan on the form. I told her that's not even Joann (as in Joe Ann), that's Joan! I called and there is no way to change the spelling on this form. It so so stupid!

My husband misspelled my son's middle name on his birth certificate and now my son is stuck with it. It was meant to be spelled Nicholas but my dh spelled it Nicolas.

At least it was only a middle name.

• Like 2

Joan-ney? so is the "ney" pronounced with a long a or a long e? Or something else I can't even think of?

FWIW I pronounce her name Jo-anne.

ETA: I had a teacher--Mrs Ney--who pronounced her name with a long a. So when I first saw Joan-ney I read it as Joan Nay. But I'm guessing I'm supposed to read as Joan-Nee, like Jour-ney. :D

Joan-ney? so is the "ney" pronounced with a long a or a long e? Or something else I can't even think of?

FWIW I pronounce her name Jo-anne.

ETA: I had a teacher--Mrs Ney--who pronounced her name with a long a. So when I first saw Joan-ney I read it as Joan Nay. But I'm guessing I'm supposed to read as Joan-Nee, like Jour-ney. :D

Yes, I meant Joan-Nee. 

My husband misspelled my son's middle name on his birth certificate and now my son is stuck with it. It was meant to be spelled Nicholas but my dh spelled it Nicolas.

My husband did the EXACT same thing, as that is my son's name.  Fortunately, it wasn't on the birth certificate, it was just a form for the NICU, so his little name tag on his incubator said Nicolas until I pitched a fit!

• Like 1

I didn't even know there were other pronunciations of that spelling. Now the butchering of my own name makes so much more sense, if even Joanne can be messed with.

I'd pronounce it to rhyme with Cheryl/Sheryl.

I didn't know there was any alternative pronunciation of Joanne, but I do know a "jo-ANN" whose name is spelled Joan.

• Like 3

I've known two people who spell it that way, one of them pronounced it Jo-Anne, one pronounced it Joan-ney.  Every time I read your name I alternate pronunciations, so I thought it was time to ask.

Edited to add a poll because... fun!

Are you sure she isn't just using Joanie/Joaney as a nickname?

Your name? Taryl, right? I'd assume that was pronounced Tar-il (short "a", accent on the first syllable), and I can't imagine that any other pronunciation is even possible. Am I wrong?

It rhymes with Carol. I've been called Terrell (emphasis on the last syllable), Tarly, Tara, Tar-Il (first syllable rhymes with tar, last sounds like eel), Daryl, Taryn, you name it. And my last name is a weird German one that gets equally butchered. My kids all have very pedestrian, easy, phonetic names with their most typical spelling as a reaction to this :lol:

And I'm still pulling for Jo-Ann on the pronunciation front for this thread :D

I'd pronounce it to rhyme with Cheryl/Sheryl.

I didn't know there was any alternative pronunciation of Joanne, but I do know a "jo-ANN" whose name is spelled Joan.

Yup, rhymes with those, too. You're apparently smarter than half the people I've met in my life who have been reading it off of forms and attendance rolls ;)

In my melting pot region of the U.S, Daryl, Carol, Cheryl, Sheryl, and Taryl all rhyme.

Yup, rhymes with those, too. You're apparently smarter than half the people I've met in my life who have been reading it off of forms and attendance rolls ;)

In my melting pot region of the U.S, Daryl, Carol, Cheryl, Sheryl, and Taryl all rhyme.

According to all those regional pronunciation charts, Mary, merry and marry all rhyme in most of the US.  We here in our little section disagree, but at least we have the Brits on our side.  (and maybe the Aussies??)

I didn't think of Sheryl/Daryl as being part of the merry/marry thing, but FWIW, Sheryl has the same vowel sound as merry, and Daryl and Carol have the same first syllable as marry.  And none of them rhyme with Mary.  Nope. :D

ETA.  And Jo-Ann is the only way to pronounce Joanne.  Hopefully Joanne agrees. ;)  Don't know what's up with those other folk.

• Like 3

In my area (west coast south and west coast faaaar north) we pronounce both Daryl and Carol like dare-l and care-l. The L sound is tacked onto the main syllable, no distinct vowel enunciation. In that sense, maybe the best phonetic pronunciation of my name is tare-l.

Again though, waaaaay more difficult than Joanne, which has but ONE pronunciation :lol:

And, oddly, my mom gave me the middle name "Joan" and it is pronounced...Jo-anne. Why, you may join me in asking? Because that is her middle name and spelling, and my grandparents were taught that was the pronunciation of Joan of Arc when they were in school in the 1920s. Go figure.

I know a JoAn (yes, there is a capital A in the middle of the name). The pronunciation is identical to yours.

As for our Joanne, if she is other than Jo-Anne it's going to be a struggle for me. I was in second grade when I learned the proper pronunciation of Penelope. I don't think I stopped saying Pen-eh-lope in my head until junior high!

• Like 3

In my area (west coast south and west coast faaaar north) we pronounce both Daryl and Carol like dare-l and care-l. The L sound is tacked onto the main syllable, no distinct vowel enunciation. In that sense, maybe the best phonetic pronunciation of my name is tare-l.

Again though, waaaaay more difficult than Joanne, which has but ONE pronunciation :lol:

This tangent on pronouncing your name and the others that rhyme with it (or not) reminds me of the confusion surrounding Laurie/Laura/Lauren in my little piece of the world. Some pronounce these names with a strongly "or" sound: LOR-en. Others (including myself) say this as an "ar" sound - LAR-en. Sometimes parents, obviously attempting to clear up all possible confusion, spell it as "Lor-" but I know others who want the "-or" pronunciation, but the name is spelled with the "au" combination. It is emphatically hard for me to see the name "Lauren" yet pronounce it as "Loren."

Lauren was actually one of DH's favortie names, and I liked it a lot as well, but I did not want to use this name for exactly this reason.

• Like 1

This tangent on pronouncing your name and the others that rhyme with it (or not) reminds me of the confusion surrounding Laurie/Laura/Lauren in my little piece of the world. Some pronounce these names with a strongly "or" sound: LOR-en. Others (including myself) say this as an "ar" sound - LAR-en. Sometimes parents, obviously attempting to clear up all possible confusion, spell it as "Lor-" but I know others who want the "-or" pronunciation, but the name is spelled with the "au" combination. It is emphatically hard for me to see the name "Lauren" yet pronounce it as "Loren."

Lauren was actually one of DH's favortie names, and I liked it a lot as well, but I did not want to use this name for exactly this reason.

I answer to all pronunciations of my name.  It really doesn't worry me.  My MIL called me LA-ruh and one friend calls me LAOW-ruh.  It's all the same to me.  I'm not Lauren or Lorna, however.

This is how I say my name, FWIW:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1hgi3lkhGpr

• Like 2

I always pronounced Lauren as LOR en. The au says aww so I am not sure why someone would need to use an or to make it sound like that.

• Like 1

According to all those regional pronunciation charts, Mary, merry and marry all rhyme in most of the US. We here in our little section disagree, but at least we have the Brits on our side. (and maybe the Aussies??)

I didn't think of Sheryl/Daryl as being part of the merry/marry thing, but FWIW, Sheryl has the same vowel sound as merry, and Daryl and Carol have the same first syllable as marry. And none of them rhyme with Mary. Nope. :D

ETA. And Jo-Ann is the only way to pronounce Joanne. Hopefully Joanne agrees. ;) Don't know what's up with those other folk.

In the regional area I came from we do the correct pronunciation of merry, Mary and marry like the Brits too. The rest of the country is wrong. ;) I agree about Sheryl and Carol too.

• Like 1

My friend spelled her Nicolas that way on purpose!

A friend of mine and her husband had planned to name their daughter Stephanie.  She had an emergency c-section and for some reason the birth certificate people came before she was out of recovery.  He filled it out and they went on their way.  He spelled her name Steffanie.  When she discovered what he had written, she asked him why and he honestly thought that's how it was spelled.  They decided to just leave it.

• Like 1

UGH!  my girls all have friend swith those names!

Lauren and Laurel, and a Laura. I can't keep them straight, and never seem to pronounce them right.

Then there were the two friends names Alana. One was vehemently uh-LAY-nuh, the other uh-lawn-uh. :001_rolleyes:

• Like 2

okay...since we're going off the plantation on "Joanne"... what about Maura.   Is is "Mara", "Mai-rah", or "Moy-rah" (rhymes with "Toy-rah) or some variation thereof?  

Well, my vote re: the OP is Joe-Anne.

As for Maura, it's not any of your options. It's "More-uh." 

Moira is "Moy-rah." 

• Like 6

Well, my vote re: the OP is Joe-Anne.

Moira is "Moy-rah." 

I thought so too, but I have a friend who pronounces it Mara.  More of a Mar-rah though.  Then I've heard people pronounce it Moy-rah.  I'm.so.confused. :willy_nilly:

• Like 1

See, here Laura/Lora sound exactly the same.  Lara would be LAR-a (with the ar from car).  Do you pronounce Laura/Lara the same?

Now you have me thinking further.  Lara I'd pronounce first go with the AR from car, but I think if I saw Laren, my first reaction would be to rhyme it with Karen, not with Lara.  I have a friend of Swedish descent that does pronounce her name Karin with the AR from car, but that's not the normal pronunciation here...

Yes, Maura rhymes with Laura/Lora. :D

• Like 3

That is exactly my mom. My grandparents were taught Jo-Anne of Arc so mom spent her whole life explaining in her case Joan was pronounced Jo Anne. She often just went by Jo.
  • Like 1

I knew a Lara, and she introduced herself as "Lara not Lara." Since I heard her say both lair-a and lah-ra when we met, I couldn't remember which one was right the next time I saw her, so I just avoided saying her name.

I knew a mom of a little girl whom she called, "Bree-AH-nuh!" (Briana) She would become irrationally furious with anyone pronouncing the name as "Bree-ANN-uh." I wondered why she would choose a name that is bound to cause her constant irritation.

• Like 1

See, here Laura/Lora sound exactly the same. Lara would be LAR-a (with the ar from car). Do you pronounce Laura/Lara the same?

Now you have me thinking further. Lara I'd pronounce first go with the AR from car, but I think if I saw Laren, my first reaction would be to rhyme it with Karen, not with Lara. I have a friend of Swedish descent that does pronounce her name Karin with the AR from car, but that's not the normal pronunciation here...

Yes, Maura rhymes with Laura/Lora. :D

Yes, to me they sound the same; I would pronounce it with the "ar" from car. But some people pronounce this more like the "or" from "corn."

Of all the opportunities for a poll regarding the poster named Joanne, I would not have guessed name pronunciation.

I didn't know there were options!

I am named after my maternal grandmother. Her middle name is the Norwegian version of Joanne; definitely pronounced specifically. I named my dd after both her grandmothers.

It's Joe-Ann.

I've had to explain spelling, but never how to say it. "Joanne, only the "j" capitalized, one word, with an 'e'."

• Like 13

That is exactly my mom. My grandparents were taught Jo-Anne of Arc.

Jehanne (which is the spelling, not the pronunciation):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Joan_of_Arc

Incidentally, people seem to insist on mispronouncing Johanna. I introduce myself using American English phonics Joe-Hannah (like mentioned above), but people keep calling me Joe-huh-nah. Not sure why. And then they keep asking me about the correct pronunciation, and I'll say that I don't care, and I listen to pretty much anything, but then half a year later they'll ask again, lol. Should have stuck with my middle name (which I went by since birth), but gave up on because it's too hard for Americans. I thought Johanna would be easier. Apparently not. Of course, it's *really* pronounced yoe-huh-nah, but since I never went by my first name until I'd been living in the US for 8 years it's not like I care about the Dutch pronunciation. Besides, it's a very old-fashioned-sounding name to me in Dutch (slightly better in English, though hardly newfangled). Oh well. I should switch to Jo. Maybe people would be able to pronounce that. Maybe. People can be very creative in mispronouncing things though.

But, regarding Joanne, I figured there might be *some* people out there pronouncing it Joan, but I'd say Joe-An if I had to read it aloud from a list. And apparently I got Taryl right too. Yay! :)