Menu

Homeschooling At/Near the Poverty Line

I guess this is essentially just a vent, and am new here so I don't know if this goes here or the general chat board.  I guess I just need to know I'm not the only one lol, that it's possible to homeschool well while being poor :)  It's so frustrating being a working single mom at the poverty line trying to afford homeschooling.  I sometimes wonder if I'm short-changing my daughter.  We can't afford co-op classes (not that there are many secular ones here anyway) or other classes (art, music, theater, science camp, etc.)  I can't even seem to scrape enough together to get art supplies for the home, and a decent science curriculum with lab supplies is darn near impossible.

Luckily, I was able to secure a one-time contractor job that will pay me a few hundred, so I can buy a bit of curriculum this year, but I have to be SO careful.  It's demoralizing.  I see something fabulous and then see that it's over $100 for one subject.  I don't have the time to plan something from scratch or to try to adapt a free curriculum to fit our needs.  Last year I made do with finding free public school textbooks online, but it was hit-or-miss.  I want to do classical homeschooling next year for 6th grade.

I've considered partial enrollment in public school for subjects like science, but the schedule doesn't work for me.  I'd have to transport her to the public school every day and it would be disruptive to our school and my work schedule.  I'm still considering it for high school, but that's years away.  The high school is within walking distance and she'll be older.

I'm sorry if this is inappropriate, but I can't say this to anyone in real life.  They always feel obligated to offer something, which is not what I want.  I just need someone to understand and say "dude, that sucks."

• Like 18

Too much of a story to tell but I have been right where you are, financially. We struggled for years after the housing collapse in 2007-2008.

I homeschooled when it looked silly to not "put those kids in school and get a REAL JOB" but I felt like I was meant to continue with our educational goals despite the bottom busting in our finances.

I don't have much advice but wanted you to know you aren't alone. I hear you and I understand.

It's funny in the past couple of years my husband has found a new career and we are no longer struggling like we were. When I mentioned this to my kids the other day (how different life is, how much less stress we have etc) my kids were SHOCKED to learn that we were "poor." They had no idea how lean our budget was. So be encouraged that kids are resilient and I guess even blind to the stress, and lack of "stuff."

Hope this helps a little :)

• Like 10

Pre-kiddo, DH and I experienced a spectrum of circumstances...from being employed with savings to freelancing and juggling multiple small jobs to suddenly unemployed right after we were married and jobless for months...we had just bought a small apartment too prior to being laid off...we struggled but managed to come through. Thankfully, our situation has changed now and we are able to afford curriculum and classes for homeschooling but we have a strict budget and we don't take things for granted. I sometimes think I needed to experience it (just me, not saying everyone should)...we remember the days when we had so little and it influences our decisions every single time we hit a checkout button or discuss finances.

It sucks. The stress is unbelievable. :grouphug: Kudos to you for trying to do the best for your child despite the circumstances.

ETA: in the spirit of sharing...I thought of the ACS middle school chemistry program. It requires supplies though and I am not sure how challenging it will be for you to procure them.

• Like 3

When we started HSing, we were not poor but we were flat-broke because we were paying $$$$ on my DH's grad school loans. If I couldn't find it for free at our local library or on the Internet or at the $3 per grocery bag full of books sale that the local Friends of Library ran, I couldn't use it. A huge THANK YOU to one of the veteran moms in my HS support group who gave me a bunch of materials that her kids had outgrown. I plan to "pay it forward" some day.

Classes and co-ops are nice but they're not necessary to HS effectively.

• Like 10

That does suck.

We have had extremely tight financial years (hello, chemo bills!) and I will say that it IS possible to school well with a very tight budget.  One of the beautiful things is that you are forced to focus, to prioritize, and you have a fair amount of time at home to do stuff.  Utilize your library. Utilize free resources (there are a TON of threads here on those). Prioritize your purchases.  Borrow the Well Trained Mind first edition and read about how she utilizes just a few books to accomplish so much.  A lot can be done with a history encyclopedia, a science encyclopedia, and access to a public library!

Beyond that, prioritize purchasing an inexpensive printer http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L2340DW-Printing-Wireless-Networking/dp/B00LZS5EEI/ref=pd_sim_229_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=170V1AQ4KPAMG1B1ZKBD.  A number of curricula is free for the cost of printing--including MEP math!

• Like 5

How old is your daughter?

I'm about to graduate one child and we've never ever done a co-op class.  The library is our friend but I also realize that we are fortunate to be part of a great library system.  PS - thrift stores are also our friend.  You would't believe how many unused art kits or supplies we've found there for pennies.  

• Like 10

You are not alone.

Do a search for a forum member named Hunter. I think you will find her posts helpful and there is a link in her sig line for a complete curriculum based on books that are in the public domain and can be downloaded for free or purchased inexpensively if you prefer hard copies and/or do not have internet access.

John Holt might also be helpful for your morale, since he discusses the fact that public schools have not exactly done a stellar job of educating children from families at/near the poverty line so the bar is actually pretty low, no matter how much poverty itself sucks.

• Like 14

That is tough.

Though I have home schooled below the poverty line I had a spouse to help. That does make a difference time wise and our situation only lasted a few years so it was temporary. I will say you have it harder but it's doable.

I also hope that you don't feel bad taking stuff unless it is just clutter you don't want. Having lived there I know the tendency of people to unload their junk on you as though you are their personal dump. Over the years I learned to say, no we don't need anything now thank you.

Maybe we needed stuff but it wasn't their old puzzle missing half the pieces or old workbooks half filled in. A gift given in love or trying to be a good steward of quality resources that you do want to pass on is different. Take it freely and maybe someday you can pass it on to a younger mom that could use help.

Library sales are my friend. It's hit or miss but probably over half my current library is from library sales where I got books for 50 cents or a dollar.

• Like 1

Have been in that situation a long time, but do have a spouse to help. I ditto much of what has been said above, including that it sucks. Do you have a Freecycle(.org) in your area? I have been given art supplies, books, texts, an art easel, office supplies like pens, paper, pencils, file folders, 3-ring binders, a computer(!) all kinds of things through that. People have things they want to throw out but are in too good condition, so they give it away. You go to the website and see if there is one in your area. There are various yahoo email groups across the country.

• Like 8

Many Hugs, I am right there with you. I can not afford much of anything right now except the bare minimum and I do mean the bare minimum. But that is ok because I have learned to be creative and it has made me reevaluate many things. Not being able to afford the things you need stinks but I can tell you that there many of us on these boards are going through similar situations.

This may not be true for you or anyone else but I have found I had better results when I used cheaper alternatives or what I already had. For example Websters speller and OPGTR worked great for us but when I switched to AAS it bombed. I have several expensive curricula I bought years ago when I had the money that are now sitting on the bookshelf or HDD collecting dust. Not being able to buy like I use to showed me several things:

For me I needed to stop buying everything I thought I needed or wanted ( like shiny new curriculums)

I do my best work I stay away from the bells and the whistle type programs.

Sometimes less is more - I am getting great results using vintage books like Maxwell's

Things that may help:

Using google books

Going to craigslist

Free book organizations

The Book Samaritan

Thrift stores

Also, what ages and subjects are you trying to find curriculums for so that others can chime in and better help than I could.

• Like 3

It is definitely possible to homeschool well on a budget, but it does take more work and preparatory effort, in my opinion. When you are ready to prepare and plan for each school subject, be sure and post here about what you're looking for, and ask if anyone knows of free curriculum out there. You will get a bundle of answers. There are curriculum out there for almost anybody, and it all sorts of prices. So for example, there are free math programs that are excellent out there, free ACS chemistry that is top-notch for middle school, and ideas for putting your own low-cost programs together, as well as ideas for extracurricular activities that are free or low-cost. And don't worry a bit about not being able to afford co-ops. We attend co-ops and they have next to no academic value; we attend only because my kids like the social aspect of of them. But again, you can fulfill your child's social needs with other lower-cost options and you really are not missing a darn thing by missing co-ops. In fact, coming from a family who is terribly over-extended with the co-op rat race, the co-ops just butt into time your child needs to relax, think about things, and nuture their own interests and talents. Can you tell I hate cop-ops and am I'm trying to get them out of my life? LOL!

ETA: See if you can get on the message board or group website for the local co-ops or local homeschooling organization, even if you don't join the co-op. The value of this is that they often have postings and free or low-cost homeschooling options and ideas and that way you can take advantage of the ideas and activities without actually having to join the co-op. Many local homeschooling organizations also have frequent park days, which allows your child opportunities to socialize with kids of their own age and a local park or pool.

ETA: Sent you a PM.

I guess this is essentially just a vent, and am new here so I don't know if this goes here or the general chat board. I guess I just need to know I'm not the only one lol, that it's possible to homeschool well while being poor :) It's so frustrating being a working single mom at the poverty line trying to afford homeschooling. I sometimes wonder if I'm short-changing my daughter. We can't afford co-op classes (not that there are many secular ones here anyway) or other classes (art, music, theater, science camp, etc.) I can't even seem to scrape enough together to get art supplies for the home, and a decent science curriculum with lab supplies is darn near impossible.

Luckily, I was able to secure a one-time contractor job that will pay me a few hundred, so I can buy a bit of curriculum this year, but I have to be SO careful. It's demoralizing. I see something fabulous and then see that it's over $100 for one subject. I don't have the time to plan something from scratch or to try to adapt a free curriculum to fit our needs. Last year I made do with finding free public school textbooks online, but it was hit-or-miss. I want to do classical homeschooling next year for 6th grade.

I've considered partial enrollment in public school for subjects like science, but the schedule doesn't work for me. I'd have to transport her to the public school every day and it would be disruptive to our school and my work schedule. I'm still considering it for high school, but that's years away. The high school is within walking distance and she'll be older.

I'm sorry if this is inappropriate, but I can't say this to anyone in real life. They always feel obligated to offer something, which is not what I want. I just need someone to understand and say "dude, that sucks."

• Like 1

We can't afford co-op classes (not that there are many secular ones here anyway) or other classes (art, music, theater, science camp, etc.)  I can't even seem to scrape enough together to get art supplies for the home, and a decent science curriculum with lab supplies is darn near impossible.

They always feel obligated to offer something, which is not what I want.  

Check the YMCA.  There is financial aid for summer camps making it free for some kids. For art class, there are some non-profit who could waive the fee for group classes on a needs basis.

The YMCA and the music and art center my kids go to have lots of funds raised every year for financial aid.  They have music scholarships as well.   As long as your child is interested, just call and ask if there is still financial aid available for the year.

Are any of your friends able to help tutor your child in a subject you are not as strong at?  I'm not sure if you are not comfortable accepting material goods, or if you are not comfortable with accepting help in general. 

Also, what ages and subjects are you trying to find curriculums for so that others can chime in and better help than I could.

OP is planning for 6th grade in her post.

• Like 3

Our family took a massive hit in 2008 also, and my husband had to find an entirely new career.  There were years that we homeschooled far below poverty level.  It's better now, but we're still "poor."  I understand some of your frustration.  Music lessons and co-op classes were more affordable for low-income families before the public charter programs became popular.  Now, so many families in my area use funding for classes, that vendors can keep their prices high and get plenty of students.  We can't do it.  It's frustrating because not everyone can or wants to use a public charter program. (This is also one reason why one of the local homeschool groups excludes charter school students -- poor families can pool their resources together more fairly).  

We have at least a dozen science kits with lab equipment, microscopes, etc., and we never paid more than $5 for each.  We get everything at thrift stores.  You would be amazed at how many kits people buy with good intentions for their kids or grandkids or whatever, never use them, and then donate them to a thrift shop.  We just make regular trips and buy stuff as it becomes available.

Sometimes I will buy just a teacher's manual for something if I can't afford the whole curriculum, and we do the lesson orally and with a whiteboard.  Other posters above gave some really good advice that is pretty much the same things we've done.  

• Like 5

Like I said, I'm in a great area but our library has programs for teens and tweens as well as little ones.  This past year they had Maker workshops for free on weekends.  Our parks department in the neighboring city has some great free nature hikes and programs.  The Y has a sliding scale but also has some free programs once or twice a year.  

Check out Belltower Books before you buy somewhere else.  They have mostly textbooks but will sometimes have stuff for the younger ages.  Shipping is $1 per book and many books are under a dollar.  I understand that you don't want to take handouts but keep an open mind about being the recipient of others old curriculum.  They will often give it away to another HSer before trying to sell it (which can be a serious PITA).  I have boxes of books we will never use again taking up space in my garage because I'm to lazy to list them on ebay.  And then what Jean in Newcastle says.  Libraries are great for activities, sure they're geared toward PSer's but still useful(we go for Anime Club and D&D games a couple times a month).  Call the YMCA and see if you qualify.  Even if you don't do classes going swimming a couple times a week will make most kids ecstatic. 

• Like 1

I guess this is essentially just a vent, and am new here so I don't know if this goes here or the general chat board.  I guess I just need to know I'm not the only one lol, that it's possible to homeschool well while being poor :)  It's so frustrating being a working single mom at the poverty line trying to afford homeschooling.  I sometimes wonder if I'm short-changing my daughter.  We can't afford co-op classes (not that there are many secular ones here anyway) or other classes (art, music, theater, science camp, etc.)  I can't even seem to scrape enough together to get art supplies for the home, and a decent science curriculum with lab supplies is darn near impossible.

Luckily, I was able to secure a one-time contractor job that will pay me a few hundred, so I can buy a bit of curriculum this year, but I have to be SO careful.  It's demoralizing.  I see something fabulous and then see that it's over $100 for one subject.  I don't have the time to plan something from scratch or to try to adapt a free curriculum to fit our needs.  Last year I made do with finding free public school textbooks online, but it was hit-or-miss.  I want to do classical homeschooling next year for 6th grade.

I've considered partial enrollment in public school for subjects like science, but the schedule doesn't work for me.  I'd have to transport her to the public school every day and it would be disruptive to our school and my work schedule.  I'm still considering it for high school, but that's years away.  The high school is within walking distance and she'll be older.

I'm sorry if this is inappropriate, but I can't say this to anyone in real life.  They always feel obligated to offer something, which is not what I want.  I just need someone to understand and say "dude, that sucks."

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I feel your pain. We were always a single-income family, so although there were two parents in the house, we still didn't have much disposable income. My dc did not do any co-op classes, ever (they weren't invented at that time), they only had a dance class, not music, definitely not science camp or theater. Art supplies consisted of random crayons and markers and paper and whatnot, nothing official. Lab supplies? For an elementary-aged child? I don't even know what those would look like. o_0

I understand your frustration, but I promise you that you are not shortchanging your dd because you cannot afford all those extras.

• Like 4

We are there to. We do swim lessons at the YMCA - we have their assistance. We do scouts through a group that works hard to allow kids in the area who want to do Scouting but can't afford it the opportunity to do it. (And scouting is more expensive in Canada... $210 a year just for registrations for one youth....)

Book Samaritan is helpful. Easy Peasy homeschool is free. There are various curricula on the internet based on public domain books. And with patience, you can sometimes find used programs inexpensively. Some areas also have homeschooling libraries.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We have definitely homeschooled at the poverty line, but I can't say I feel your pain. I can't say I've BTDT, because I haven't.

I've had to worry about money, scrounge for curriculum, fret over groceries, and find cheap to free activities for kids, but I have never done all this as a single mom. I can't pretend, even for a moment, that "making do" at the poverty line with a life partner is even in the ballpark of doing it alone. My hat is off to you. I admire single homeschooling parents so much. Your love and sacrifice will bring good fruit in the life of your child, and in your lifelong relationship with her.

Now, because I've never climbed the hill that you're climbing, I don't think my experiences in poverty are what you need to hear. But I do hope these thoughts and opinions will be of some use:

1. If you do choose to go with the public school part-time or even full-time option for high school, that's a very reasonable and wise plan. You'll get your child through the middle school years at home, which is nothing but good, and be able to give her a very, very good foundation for high school and college.

2. If she does part-time at school, plus activities available there, by the high school years your situation will be so much easier. She'll be independent and busy, and mature enough to work *with* you concerning the courses (and lifestyle) you want to pursue at home. You both might end up with the best of both worlds.

3. Between now and then, IMO the free stuff available is frequently a lot better than most homeschool castoffs. "Classical" is the way to go if you need to be frugal but amazing...depending on a couple of things. #1. How is your library, for books, free activities and classes, and networking? #2. How is your computer setup? #3. Have you totally beat the bushes to find secular-neutral-nice homeschoolers in your area? #4. I have to second freecycle. If I saw a post on freecycle that said, "I'm looking for art and craft supplies for my homeschooled kid," I'd have a box of materials to you almost instantly, with no judgment or nosiness to "help" in ways you didn't want -- I just always have extra crayons and paints and such.

4. Are you networking with single homeschooling parents online? That might be valuable, if you have the time. These boards are awesome support for everyone, so I'm glad you joined and I hope you like it here.

Finally, let me just say, "Dude, it sucks." But you sound like a great mom and I'm sure you're doing a great job.

Tibbie

• Like 11

A couple more ideas from these mentioned:

* check to see whether your local school system has a book depository that gives away their unused/used books. In 2 counties I've lived in, amazing library discards were given away as well as workbooks, textbooks of all kinds. Another county sold them very inexpensively -- $5 for a textbook. 

*Make friends with your librarian. S/he will be a great resource for all kinds of resources. Even if your library doesn't have a book or video course, they can order by ILL. 

*see if you can barter for music or dance or extracurricular. You'd be surprised. I have a local friend who loves to barter with parents for music lessons. I've known moms that work off dance lessons by offering administrative help. 

*Ambleside Online has is a wonderful, free resource for an at-home Charlotte Mason education. Many of the books used are pubic domain and available online.

*See if your daughter can volunteer at a place where she may be interested in the resources -- a science or natural history museum, a colonial history spot, an art center for example. Volunteer work is free, is super helpful when applying for college scholarships and can give her hours of a hands-on education. 

*This site (Free Homeschool Deals) pulls together all kinds of free homeschool resources. 

*Khan academy  is a free site with amazing resources. Entire math programs, SAT study, and lots of other courses are available. 

As far as curriculum goes, some of it is expensive. Some of my favorite curriculum over the years (I've been at this 18 years) is very inexpensive, can be resold and bought used. Rod and Staff is excellent for grammar and soooo much less expensive (and more effective IMO) than the Shurley English we started with years ago.  

Hope some of this helps. From one single mom to another, I'm sending you a virtual atta girl and you can do this. 

• Like 1

Two thing to consider are (1) using an umbrella charter school because you would get funds for your school/activity purchases, and (2) try looking into the Foundation created by HSLDA for cases such as yours.  They can provide funds for you to get what you need. 

Hot Lava Mama

Charter schools are in no way "umbrellas." They are home-based public schools. Umbrella schools are one way to comply with the homeschool laws in some states. Enrolling one's children in a public charter school relieves one of having to comply with homeschool laws, as the children are public school students, not homeschooled children.

HSLDA's Homeschool Foundation is for widows who were already members of HSLDA when their husbands died.

• Like 2

Everyone, your encouraging words are so very needed and appreciated!  As much as I dislike that other people have been, or are currently, in this situation, it's still good to know that I'm not an island.  

Although I've been a "homeschool sympathizer" for a decade, I pulled DD on a whim halfway through last year.  So, I am new to homeschooling, and even newer to classical homeschooling.  It took me a while to realize that this method jives best with my educational philosophy.  Every link and lead offered is so very helpful.  I tend to be a potent mix of obsessive, indecisive, and perfectionist, so solid leads help me concentrate my efforts lol.

We are very fortunate to be fairly well-equipped with technology from before the divorce.  We have an older but still very operational laptop, and wifi is thankfully included in rent.  I also work in a bookstore, so I get a discount on stuff we sell in the store.  I spend every break curled up with one of the store's copies of The Well-Trained Mind :)

I definitely will look at Freecycle for art supplies.  That's an excellent idea.  Also, I sent out an application for financial assistance to the YMCA just last week, so hopefully we'll hear from them soon.  DD has also repeatedly expressed interest in Girl Scouts, which I think is very cheap, so I'll look into that too.

Our public library is...not awesome.  I hear the library in the next town over is much better, so I'll definitely check them out.  I am definitely having a hard time finding state-level support for homeschoolers.  I am in a few facebook groups, but there simply aren't a lot of homeschool programs.  I am not sure if we have a lower than average homeschool population or what.  Maybe it's because we have a far-flung population in this state (Maine).  As far as I can tell, there aren't charter schools here yet, although I think I remember hearing some political hoopla over the establishment of a new charter program.

My ex-husband isn't supportive of my homeschooling, so there's the added stress of feeling that DD and I have to perform in order to avoid trouble.  Like we don't have room for error.  Last year he kept telling DD that homeschool doesn't count and that she'll have to repeat 5th grade  :thumbdown: .  But that's a whole nuther story.

All in all, I wouldn't change this for the world.  I love educating  DD and she loves it too, and all the sacrifice doesn't even feel like sacrifice.  Both my kids are so amazing (younger DD loves public school and is thriving there for now) and have really stepped up their game to make our family a true team.  Some days (like when I posted here lol) I feel defeated, but most days I feel so very lucky :)

• Like 7

If there is something in particular you are looking for, you might ask here and second else has it to give away.

We've had some very lean years, especially when gas went up, our property taxes went up, and my husband's industry collapsed with the housing crash. It was rough. As Tibbie said, not even close to doing it on your own, but I do know how frustrating it can be. We joined a small support group that offered enrichment classes (like art study and PE), rather than academics, and I paid for them with my time by teaching classes. For a few years, that was the only extracurricular activity my children did, and they were fine! Kids don't need co-op classes or activities to homeschool successfully!

For art, paper and pencil will get you pretty far. Maybe someone else can post the links to free art lessons online. At one point dickblick.com had some free plans too. If you join the free yahoo group, AOPrints, you will have access to very nicely formatted 8x10 prints of famous works, several per artist. You could even view them on a computer screen and not need to print them at all. A little time with Google for commentary, and voila, art study is covered for free. For a little more work, you can put together music study as well; I usually use Wikipedia to get a feel for the composer's most famous works, and then I use YouTube to find samples.

Do you have a local support group? Ours offers a lending library where you can borrow books for free for a year, and we have a decent selection. We also offer a lot of free activities for our members. If you can't afford dues for a group, ask if they have scholarships available. We have scholarshipped some people for some of our activities, and I know that's been a blessing to them, as well as to us.

• Like 1

reply to other post from you--

there are some charter schools that may be available nationwide   ....   ?     for computer based learning    that might not fit your ideal, but it could help with costs.   a person we know did one for a while that provided all needed materials, books, etc.  OTOH it was like doing public from home, not much flexibility

Hugs.

Dude, that sucks.

You are more likely to get curriculum suggestions etc. here than on chat.

Watch for things that are free or low cost or have scholarships.

plain old paper and pencils are good for art

lab supplies not really needed imo for science till high school...  sure others differ    ...   a food garden is a great learning tool if you have any room at all for one, even a container on a balconey from an apartment... and it provides food too.

If you can access things well on computer, you should be in quite good shape! KhanAcademy.com (or org?) has some wonderful free things not only for math--art history, science, history all worth checking out in addition to its math.  Duolingo.com for language.  K-12 *not sure if I have that name right--I mean the maker of free digital textbooks, not the online charter school--for some textbooks for free download, etc.  A couple of years ago I started a thread that included some history archives sources online, but cannot recall what they are right now...usually via university sites like Stanford.  MEP has free math online.  Brave Writer has some ideas that can be used for writing that are free (in addition to ideas/materials/classes that are not free)

If you can afford a netflix subscription a lot can be learned from documentaries.  And if you put that together with research that can be done online that would be a lot for science, history, etc.

Library can be big help.  for classical you likely can find all the history and literature at least, if it is decent or will interlibrary loan for you.  We have a very small library, but it will get things on loan and has enough that it took a while before its resources were starting to be exhausted.

What are the fabulous but too expensive things you have been seeing?

• Like 1

Check if your nearby libraries have teens knitting, chess, computer, book clubs. My boys learn knitting and found people to play chess with through library programs.

As Crimson Wife mentioned, Girl Scouts do have aid programs. Give the local troop a call and asked. I am still friends with schoolmates from my troop 27 years later :)

K-12 *not sure if I have that name right--I mean the maker of free digital textbooks, not the online charter school--for some textbooks for free download, etc. A couple of years ago I started a thread that included some history archives sources online, but cannot recall what they are right now...usually via university sites like Stanford.

The free textbook site is CK-12

http://www.ck12.org

The history one could be this Stanford one

https://sheg.stanford.edu/rlh

• Like 2

Hey there dude, it really does suck! This single mum is offering much sympathy and empathy.

It's great that you and your girls have pulled together through your challenges. I've seen it go either way with some families, and the alternative looks beyond exhausting.

If you'd like to share which expensive ideas and curricula have captured your heart, perhaps folks here can suggest cheaper (or free!) alternatives which you might also like. If you started a thread called something like "6th grade on a budget", you might save yourself a lot of time sorting through dodgy cheap curricula, leaving you more time to get on with the fun stuff.

• Like 2

In your other post, you mentioned that you're considering History Odyssey's Middle Ages 2. I just wanted to let you know, if you didn't already, that they generally have a big September sale, where their products are 25% off. However, the past couple of years, at least (that's as long as I've been buying them), they've also offered 40% off at Black Friday. If you can wait that long, it makes the e-book version very economical, although you need to print the maps and maybe the worksheets. They do give the first several lessons, which is several weeks of work, for free, though. You will need a good library to use HO, but the reading list can also comprise a large portion of your literature for the year. You need Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, but you will use it for all of middle school for HO. We didn't care for Story of Mankind, so we went with k12's Human Odyssey, which runs less than $10 a volume for good condition used from Amazon; you'd need volume 1 for Middle Ages (and you might need volume 2 also, for Renaissance, but you can wait on that).

• Like 2

I I agree with this and didn't mention it in my post; K12 Human Odyssey is excellent; DD uses it to read along with her HO assignments.  If you are good at putting together assignments and essays, it could stand alone as a Middle Ages curriculum for you.

In your other post, you mentioned that you're considering History Odyssey's Middle Ages 2. I just wanted to let you know, if you didn't already, that they generally have a big September sale, where their products are 25% off. However, the past couple of years, at least (that's as long as I've been buying them), they've also offered 40% off at Black Friday. If you can wait that long, it makes the e-book version very economical, although you need to print the maps and maybe the worksheets. They do give the first several lessons, which is several weeks of work, for free, though. You will need a good library to use HO, but the reading list can also comprise a large portion of your literature for the year. You need Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, but you will use it for all of middle school for HO. We didn't care for Story of Mankind, so we went with k12's Human Odyssey, which runs less than $10 a volume for good condition used from Amazon; you'd need volume 1 for Middle Ages (and you might need volume 2 also, for Renaissance, but you can wait on that).

• Like 1

I can totally relate!  I'm a single mama, through adoption and have two girl's with some special needs.  I homeschool because I feel like it's the best for my children.  I am constantly reminded that we could have more/bigger/better "things" if I was working.  But you know what, this is my choice and I don't think I will ever regret the time with my daughter's over things.  I try to pick stuff up for cheap at yard sales/thrift stores, etc. and if I can't use it, I sell it to buy things that I can use.  God has always provided.  Big hugs to you...it's hard, but totally worth it!

• Like 2

We're not below the poverty line but we were very close for quite awhile.  It was hard.  It is very different to choose a small budget because you have certain saving or investing goals and having a small budget thrust upon you with no other option.

Please consider asking Book Samaritan for help, esp. with math, which is hard to do without a formal program.  It's why the organization exists.  Blessing people in need with curriculum is really, really fun, so in a way, you're doing THEM a favor.   :001_smile: Someday you'll be able to pay it forward.

If your DD reads widely, works on math consistently, can write a coherent essay (eventually) and has a basic level of scientific and cultural literacy she'll be more than ready for high school.  Nearly all of that can be accomplished using resources from the public library.  

I'm not suggesting you unschool, but do some research about this philosophy because, if nothing else, you'll realize that we humans don't need shiny boxes of prepared curriculum to learn new stuff.  We need access to interesting books and helpful people.  The rest is just gravy.  Learning doesn't come in a box.  If fact, the best learning often doesn't.

Have you researched Charlotte Mason's philosophy?  A CM Education is challenging for the student and can be done on a very modest budget.  If you have a decent e-reader, it's even cheaper.  Look at the booklists on Ambleside and see if some of that would work for you.  While you're at it, find a first edition of TWTM at the library (or super cheap on amazon).  

Do you have a printer that's cheap to use (or a kind friend with a printer) and home internet access?  There are some good (or good enough) resources that are free for printing.  I personally like the Glencoe Spelling and Vocab workbooks.  I could buy other workbooks, but they look more or less what I was considering buying, so I'm just going to print out those.   

Youtube videos are insanely useful.  There's a video about EVERYTHING.  For science or history, consider letting her choose a topic and then use the internet and library to learn everything she can about it.  It's more fun to do it that way than with a textbook, and she's gaining valuable practice with academic research.  You can print out a page that explains how to evaluate web sites and authors for credibility, etc. for her to use as a reference.  Then she can talk to you about what she's learning, or write a research paper or complete a creative project or presentation about it.  She's more likely to remember it because (1) she's interested in the topic and (2) she's actively pursuing information instead of passively reading what someone else wrote about it.  

And this is the part where I'm pretty much looking in the mirror and talking to myself, because I *so* need to hear this:  Don't worry about gaps.  Everything will be covered again in high school.  

Watch the news together.  If you have a globe, keep it in the living room and find the places they're talking about. 

:grouphug:  You've got this.  Don't give up.  Your daughter is so blessed to have mom who cares so deeply about her education.   :grouphug:

• Like 3

Angelina Jolie referred to a health crisis as polarizing and peaceful. Poverty can be the same way. If you let it be.

Upward mobility and an excellent education are two different things. An education designed to ensure upward mobility is difficult to afford for lower income families; an excellent education is not.

• Like 11

I had the opportunity to run into a family last week, that I first met last fall. They have recently been housed after spending almost a year homeless. Those kids barely did any "school" but they read and read and read, and they worked and volunteered. They might just be the most amazing kids I have ever met.

If they had been doing "school" they wouldn't have been doing what they were doing, and that would be a loss. I don't know what fate has planned for these kids, but I think it would be impossible for them to fulfil their destiny and have completed a curriculum.

• Like 6

It was about a year ago, when talking to a social worker, that I referred to my education as inferior. She was so shocked. She really pressured me to reevaluate "education" and what would have happened to me and others I have influenced if I had had a "better" education, instead of the one I did receive.

What if I'd been learning more standard punctuation instead of reading the books I read? What if I'd been learning more math instead of working and interacting?

It scares me to think what would have happened if I'd had a "proper" education.

• Like 6

Sorry for the choppy posts. I'm on a phone. I'm too poor for WiFi. :lol:

Life kinda smacked me in the face AGAIN just recently, and I think there is more upheaval on the horizon and it's funny. I think I might be more at peace right now than I ever have been.

I so get what Angelina was saying. It's peaceful and polarizing.

• Like 2

Dude, that sucks.

As someone who often has way more homeschool stuff than we can use, I would say that if someone offers you stuff, it's because they hope it will bless you.  It is perfectly ok to say thanks and accept.  

Maybe it's something they loved but have outgrown.  Maybe they thought it would fit their kid's interests and learning style, but it didn't.  Maybe they just bought too much.

I've especially wanted to find good homes for things like curriculum guides.  I've often had binders full of great stuff that I know a thrift store or library sale would just toss.  In some cases I've been given it for free and want to pass it along for free too.

• Like 2

If your library isn't great, I would look for used copies of books, and if you have any sort of tablet, e-reader, or maybe even a laptop, the Kindle app is free, and there a LOT of public domain books available there. Several of the History Odyssey books have been free, though I don't know specifically about Middle Ages. You might also see if any of the libraries around you have e-books, or maybe suggest a subscription to the Free Library of Philadelphia, which has tons of e-books, as a gift? But again, if you have a list you'd like to have, post it, and maybe people will have them to give away.

• Like 1

You see that nice lady named Hunter in this thread? Follow the link in her signature. She fashioned a great program that would be so helpful to you and your budget woes (which suck. I agree). Please consider spending what little resources you have on a solid math program and trying language arts through recommendations like hers, which are free and publicly available.

Most capital cities will give a free library card to anyone in the state. Even if it's a major field trip to that library, its worth it to go once if they have a large catalog of downloadable books. Some capital cities offer subscriptions to hulu which has streaming bill nye videos. Some have a subscription to free downloadable magazines.

• Like 2

I have various 6th grade materials that were purchased with Charter school funds that I am not allowed to resell. I am allowed to give them away. If you want to PM me and let me know what kinds of things you are looking for, I will be happy to pass on anything that might be useful to you.

• Like 4

In the past, I have done both the work harder method to keep up with the Jonses, and the more relaxed method of just using and settling for what was plopped in my lap.

I think we often fail to recognize the richness of what is readily available to us, thinking that the exotic and artificial and expensive is better.

I'm not working harder right now. And in the past, some of my most fruitful times self-educating and teaching were not spent working harder.

You definitely do need to work harder if you are attempting upward mobility. That requires obtaining and mimicing things that are NOT in YOUR environment.

• Like 6