Menu

Quantity carrier for library books in the library - calling all classical lovers of library

My daughter is still young and maybe it is for that reason since she reads a lot of picture books, but we check out a lot of books.  Since we moved the library isn't within technically walking distance anymore, so I'm not going every week, so I check out a great quantity every time I go.  Does anyone have a recommendation of their favorite carrier for library books to and from the library and within the library?   Those little baskets for within the library get heavy

I recently confiscated DH's tool carrier.   It is like a collapsible milk crate with wheels and a handle.   He says it is (was?) a quality item from a good brand.  Petersen maybe?   Anyway since it is collapsible it isn't really that sturdy and plastic parts are falling off.  

Anyone have a better idea?   Price isn't really a factor.  Some things are important.  

We could make one too if there wasn't a good one available to purchase.  

I think the key is using something that doesn't put the weight on your hands. You could use something that puts it on your shoulder instead, like a big tote bag (L.L. Bean makes large, sturdy ones with zippers, for instance) or something on wheels (basically like a small suitcase, assuming your library is laid out in a way you could navigate easily with that).

• Like 1

Before buying something really large check with your library about restrictions. We didn't allow suitcases or other large bags. We had a few patrons who did bring carry-on sized suitcases because of the number of itemss they regularly checked out and returned. Even they would occasionally run into difficulty with a new guard. I was in a large downtown library. Your library may not have an issue with this sort of thing.

• Like 1

Yes, PamJBA, that is precisely what I stole borrowed from my husband.  

I don't think that something really large will be a problem, although something enclosed might be.  They don't have security guards that I can tell, and I got lots of smiles at the existing tool tote.  They all passed the Librarian Test.

The Librarian Test is something I discovered in High School while writing my theme paper.  Carry around a really really large stack of books.  All librarians will be either distinctly smiling or frowning.  Only talk to the smiling ones.  

• Like 11

Also remember not everyone who works at the library is a librarian. :) I'm glad you've found a few smiling ones. If it makes you feel better, I had a hard time during the picture book phase, too. Those things are heavy and slippery.

• Like 2

I prefer canvas tote bags with medium long straps.  I have a bunch from a college bookstore that are perfect.  They hold a ton without being too heavy.

If I were walking, a rolling suitcase would be awesome!

Then again, I keep telling my local librarians that when they renovate the library, which they're actively working on, they really just need a chute out the back.  Then I could back my van up to the door and just have the chute dump in the half ton of books we always seem to bring home.  And then I could do the same when we return them. 

• Like 4

I use wide IKEA bags (.59 each)  with a very compact IKEA trolley http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30129959/($20).   The wheels on the IKEA hand trolley are a dream, and it's easy to pull with one hand while pushing a stroller with the other.  

I can usually fit about 50 picture books in one bag, and about 20 regular books in the other bag.

• Like 1

Also remember not everyone who works at the library is a librarian. :) I'm glad you've found a few smiling ones. If it makes you feel better, I had a hard time during the picture book phase, too. Those things are heavy and slippery.

The librarians at the two library systems I used the last many years have passed 100%.  But, then they are both premier library systems, in my humble opinion.  The main library in Dallas had about a 50% pass rate.  

At our current small town library she smiled when we had 20-ish books, but she did automatically give us the homeschoolers book limit.  Which was both nice and sad at the same time.  I don't need the quantity carrier for the small town one.  I am pretty certain I know people with more books in their personal libraries.  

I use wheeled suitcases for almost everything-hauling books, musical instruments, supplies for classes or co-ops.

I had a European one that exactly fit my large white board, I used it for all my classes. But, when I was teaching people at the home for formerly homeless moms, I got mistaken for a homeless mom because of my suitcase! (Well, I am hoping it was my suitcase and not my apparel or something else along those lines!!)

• Like 3

homeschoolers book limit 

Seriously?

How many is that?

At the first library we used we were told there was no limit.  Then I was quietly told by a librarian that I was near the limit one day, and I said I was told there wasn't one.  She said that's because they never had anyone even get close before!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  But the limit wasn't specific to homeschoolers.

When our currently librarian found out we were homeschoolers she signed me up for a teacher card, and made sure that we had a card for each family member in order to maximize our holds.  Would be devastated b a "homeschooler" limit. :mellow:

I have a hot pink heavy-duty canvas tote with a zipper that fits over my shoulder for carrying books back and forth.  Sometimes I need a second bag, but usually I can get by with carrying the overflow. :)

Yeah! What the heck is a homeschooler book limit! Here, homeschoolers can get educator cards which *increases* the number of books we can take out (among other perks). Are you saying that your library forces homeschoolers to check out FEWER books than other patrons? Because... that's just horrible. And discriminatory. I can see not giving us any extra privileges. I mean, fine. But you homeschool so we're cutting your book numbers? So wrong.

• Like 1

The Librarian Test is something I discovered in High School while writing my theme paper.  Carry around a really really large stack of books.  All librarians will be either distinctly smiling or frowning.  Only talk to the smiling ones.  

And...there's another reason I dislike the children's librarian at our closest library. She has repeatedly told me she hates stacks of books. If I start a large stack somewhere (you know, to check out) it drives her bonkers. She wants me to carry the whole stack as I browse. Not happening lady. Not with 3 littles and back issues. 

Anyway, OP, I have no good ideas. For now, I just use cloth totes. I was planning on using a collapsible crate as you mentioned (we have one that isn't used for anything else currently, unless the kiddos are playing with it). 

If that doesn't work, I'd totally use a rolling suitcase. 

Yeah! What the heck is a homeschooler book limit! Here, homeschoolers can get educator cards which *increases* the number of books we can take out (among other perks). Are you saying that your library forces homeschoolers to check out FEWER books than other patrons? Because... that's just horrible. And discriminatory. I can see not giving us any extra privileges. I mean, fine. But you homeschool so we're cutting your book numbers? So wrong.

Oh, no.  Homeschoolers get more.  Normal people is 10 items.  Homeschoolers is 30 or 40, I don't remember.  I've hit it a few times.  I thought it was sad that checking out lots of picture books for a PreK or K kid meant that we had to be homeschoolers.  I went to P.S.  and I checked out lots of books as a kid.  First time mom let me pick out my own books was when I got my library card at 4.  She called to me to bring the books to the counter,  I come staggering out with the maximum number of books I could carry.  Mom said, "You can't check out all those books".  I said, "I have another stack on the kid's table, but I couldn't carry them all."  Mom said, "We are coming back next week like we always do."  Me, "Yes, I know"  

I really don't understand people not using the library a lot.  I guess if you have lots of books at home.  

• Like 2

At the first library we used we were told there was no limit. Then I was quietly told by a librarian that I was near the limit one day, and I said I was told there wasn't one. She said that's because they never had anyone even get close before! :lol: :lol: :lol: But the limit wasn't specific to homeschoolers.

I don't know what our limit is (or even if there is one) and I haven't found out the hard way yet ;). I wondered if it might be 200, but I went over that once, so apparently not ;). I also haven't found out our hold limit yet - thought it might be 10, but I had 13 once, so apparently not. We do have a DVD limit of 10 - they have that posted in several spots. I'm glad I don't have to worry about juggling multiple cards to deal with low limits - I put everything on mine and it's never been a problem yet.

My library had a limit of 50. I got close a few times during the picture book phase. DD had her own card so I could overflow on to hers if needed. I was a librarian there and still had the same limit as everyone else. There wasn't an exception for anyone, but I suppose 50 items are plenty for most people to keep track of at one time. The homeless folks could get temporary cards that had a 5 item limit.

It's a library policy and each library systems sets their own limits based on the library's resources and whatever mattered to the people in charge at the time the policy was set. The limit is usally linked to a user profile setting so the library's ILS, not the librarian, enforces the policy. (I also worked for a library software company for a few years.)

• Like 1

Lucky for us, the libraries in my town are usually glad to see us and our piles of books.  The different branches have "competitions" about their checkouts and our large homeschooling family ups the circulation.  

:)

I put our books in several! canvas bags.  The kids tend to fill a bag for themselves and are typically responsible to carry it out. 

Our state and city is one of those dead last in line or next to last for whatever metric of social disfunction and crappy public schools metric you can find.  But somehow or other, we have simply the most outstanding library system you can imagine. 

Every time I hear folks on the forum talk about their libraries, I am reminded of this gift we have.  I wish I could give you all my library system.  I really do.  

• Like 4

We live within walking distance of our library, so I use a utility wagon. It is designed for gardening so it's quite large. Our library has a limit of 100 books that can be checked out by any patron at a given time. We are part of the Hundred Club.

If I'm driving, I use a rolling suitcase.

• Like 1

I have a sturdy little collapsable luggage cart, the kind linked below, and sometimes I'll strap a milk crate to it and wheel it into the library. 

http://www.amazon.com/TravelKart-Travel-Luggage-Cart-Black/dp/B0020ND4QM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434340078&sr=8-1&keywords=luggage+cart

It's not pretty, but I have seen people strap plastic kitchen garbage pails onto these luggage carts, for library books.

31lEgFRyp9L._SY300_.jpg

Here in the city we need rolling things that really and truly maneuver well on public transportation and can lugged at least a mile.

Older Chinese couples often use umbrella baby strollers.

The Rolsers bags are the most popular with people that care about how they look. Even the similar but cheaper brands are much easier to maneuver than a suitcase on tiny wheels and that has to be unzipped to add anything.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've used the wagon (I LOVE having a library within walking distance!), but my normal equipment is sturdy canvas bags and the van. That can get heavy going across the parking lot, though!

I've never heard of a limit here. I topped 100 books out once. No holds limit either. And our library has an app, so I can renew on my phone and therefore keep low-demand books for 9 weeks. Our library is just about my favourite thing.

• Like 1

I roll up to the library with one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Dbest-00-011-Two-Wheeled-Collapsible-Handcart/dp/B000G1KTMM/ref=sr_1_3?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1439234595&sr=1-3&keywords=rolling+cart 

I use it for the farmers market too its small enough I can pick it up and put it in the trunk of the car but not worry about a bag ripping which has totally happened.

:lol:  Totally OT, but we have a county-wide library system. One particular library has the most beautiful children's section I've ever seen, with big picture windows overlooking the  river. One day I was hanging out there while my 5yo brought me stacks of books. Before we left I made her pick just a few of them to checkout, and I looked for a cart to return the others. There was no cart, so I asked the children's librarian. She was frowny  :glare:  and told me that in the future, I need to keep my daughter from choosing more than 5 books at a time. Seriously?  :confused1:  I've talked to friends that frequent that library and they agree she's awful. I have no idea why she's a children's librarian. Maybe she's just in it for the gorgeous view and resents any interruptions from...children.

I use a heavy canvas bag my mom got at a quilt show, but wish I had something easier on my shoulder. I only have one, and now that we're out of the picture book stage, it's easier, but it was pretty touch and go there for a while.

I was with another homeschooler at one of our branch libraries once, and one of the librarians came over and made a point of thanking the other mom for checking out such a huge stack of books. Apparently it helped their circulation numbers, so the librarian loved it!

We use a rubbermaid bin. When we lived in the city I used this system for shopping and library trips: 

I just used a bike lock to lock the dolly to the bike racks and would take the bins inside.

In our library there are a bunch of really old older children's books that the library hasn't bar coded because no one has taken them out in ages. Our family always seems to pick out one these books. I've taken out books that were last checked out in the 1970's. The sad thing about it is that some of those books are the best books in the library. They just don't have all the flashy pictures like DK books.

I use my stroller with the seat reclined all the way.  I put in a rubbermaid bin and fill it with the books.  This works for walking home and for transporting to the van if we are driving.  It also works for groceries when walking.  I did this even when my baby was small.  He went in the baby carrier and the groceries went in the bin in the stroller.  

Our library limit is 30-40 per card.