Menu

Moms of 6+ tell me it's almost the same as 5

MomOfABunch

One mom of many told me, the first changes your life. Two really is twice as hard as one, because even though you know what you're doing this time, now you have to deal with sibling stuff. Three is harder, but not that much harder. Four and more, you barely notice. ;) So that's one perspective.

:grouphug:  and congrats... on either result. :)

• Like 7

Our #6 was unplanned and quite unexpected. However, he has been the easiest child and the biggest delight. He is adored by his siblings. The oldest was 16 when he was born. His big sisters doted on him. He became his big brother's best buddy. Today at 21 and 14, they are still close and conspire to do all sorts of games and schemes. 

Aside from needing a car to seat 8 instead of seven, #6 wasn't any harder than already having 5.

• Like 1

For the most part adding one more child after 3 has just been more of the same (we now have 9 living)

However, the thing that made #6 hard for me was the amount of running around I was doing for the pre teen/young teens I had and the fact that EVERYONE had to go EVERYWHERE with me. It's actually easier now with 9 as I have 4 available to watch little ones while dropping off one/two of the older ones.

And I wouldn't change any of it :)

• Like 4

lol Please tell me 5 is as easy as having 4.  We moved from the city to the country, (a farm with all the animals and chores) and now we are expecting #5.  There will be a 3 years and 4 months between her and the current youngest.  That should make things easier, right lol?

Five was the hardest transition for us, except for 0-1. I've heard that from multiple mommies, too, which made me feel better. 6-8 is apparently fairly similar at that point, so here's to hoping that's actually true (because five has been rough rough rough).

I went from 4 to 6, because 5 and 6 are twins. But honestly, besides the unique challenges of twins, it wasn't much different from 4. Often I have my preschool aged nieces here, too. It really makes no difference. The older kids are able to help out more every year, and the baby stage doesn't last forever!

• Like 1

You could be on the threshold of some very nice, easy years coming up!  Do your older kids like to cook?  Get them interested now!  Do you have any neatniks?  Put them in charge of some cleaning tasks (in a fun way) now!  Got an outdoorsy sort?  Get them going with yard care and outside tasks.  Etc. etc.   We have seven kids; the youngest is seven.  Two are out of the house, and the oldest at-home is a 17yo dd who loves to cook; she does 95% of the meal making here.  One of the ones that moved out was my neatnik and she was in charge of laundry, and just took on some other cleaning tasks because she liked things just so.  She also was the animal girl and did the milking of the goats (my 13yo dd has taken that over now and loves it). My 15yo son loves driving the lawn mower.  9yo son is chicken and garbage boy.  We try hard not to pile too much on any one person -- but some things just come naturally to some kids.  At the older ages, if they take on significantly more than normal household chores, we'll pay them.  The last 4-5 years have been pretty easy for me when it comes to home care!! 

Congratulations (maybe)!!!  And I agree with the "it's just one more pb&j!" sentiment.  :)

• Like 3

We think of numbers three and four as being our biggest adjustments.  Three because I was suddenly outnumbered when with the kids by myself . . .not enough hands!

Four was an adjustment just because other people were shocked that we were having that many.  Not everyone, but several family members and friends seemed to be able to accept three as normal but four was over-the-top so number 4 kidlet became an adjustment just because it seemed our family was re-classified by those we know.  It's hard to explain.  We also started homeschooling about that time so it was really a combination of things.

I don't remember the jump from five to six as being a big deal in our family but so much depends on personality.  I had two relatively easy babies in a row for those numbers.  Now number 7 -  I'm not sure we've ever recovered from him :)

Going from five to six was not a big deal for us. Our oldest were 11 and 9 and were a huge help! Oldest dd claimed #6 as "her baby" and would take her into her bedroom and watch her sleep while she did her school work. :-) All the kids helped out because they had to...even the 2.5 yo helped a little bit. They were all very excited to have a new baby in the house. (She is now in college, btw!)

• Like 2

lol Please tell me 5 is as easy as having 4. We moved from the city to the country, (a farm with all the animals and chores) and now we are expecting #5. There will be a 3 years and 4 months between her and the current youngest. That should make things easier, right lol?

This is something I'd love to hear too! I guess I'll find out for sure any day now....

Best of luck, OP, whether positive or negative results. :)

• Like 1

We are expecting #6 in January, so it is good to hear others say it was no big difference. I am hoping that having older kids this time is really going to change the dynamic, too.

Number 5 was by far the hardest for me. We moved 4 times in 5 months while I was pregnant and had only been in our home for a month when she was born. My oldest had just turned 7, so I had a lot of littles to care for. I'm not sure how much these things played into it. I just know that was a rough, rough year.

Awaiting results from OP...

• Like 2

I'll chime in that #5 was also our worst transition. Not because juggling 5 kids 7 and under was difficult, but because of the type of baby he was. He screamed all of the time. Even nursing didn't make him happy. He was huge and heavy to carry. He hated babywearing. He hardly slept. He needed constant counter pressure when holding him.

That whole year was difficult:

After I had him, I got a spinal headache. We did a patch, but I still had residual pain.

My mom wasn't able to come because my dad had medical issues.

Then my husband had one of those ten-days-or-less notification of deployment. Right before he was supposed to deploy, though (the night before), I had to drag him into the hospital for a raging MRSA infection. He was in the hospital for almost a week, but there was lots of wound care and juggling baby while helping my basically crippled husband.

Then we found out we were moving across the continent. We put the house on the market and sold it (so difficult with all of the kids).

On and on. And #5 screamed or fussed everyday.

I've always loved him, but we just started liking him about six months ago.

• Like 4

That would have been my Abigail.  I do NOT have favorites, but if kids have a birth order personality you are REALLY going to enjoy your sixth child! :D

This kid is sweet, sweet, sweet, and her mama's girl and has been  like that from the day she was born.  Nope, it was easy peasy to jump from 5 to 6.  (She was also my easiest birth - neither the doctor or the nurse made it in the room.) ;)

ETA: And now that I think of it, #7 was super easy too.  I'd just go for a twofer! :)

• Like 2

I haven't read through all the replies but I'll be the odd one and say no it's not almost the same as 5.  It's not just another PB&J sandwich.  For me it was extremely hard adding another baby/child to our family.  Maybe it's because it was an unexpected pregnancy, or because my 3rd trimester of my 6th pregnancy was extremely difficult leaving me unable to do much of anything.  Or maybe it was because I've never been good at doing this mother thing and having one more needy person needing me was just too much for me.  So I'll  say there is a HUGE difference from having 5 and having 6.  For me it was harder than going from 1 to 2, which, looking back on it was peanuts from going from 3 to 4, from 4 to 5, from 5 to 6.  Going from 1 to 2 was the easiest it doesn't even compare.  I don't get people who say it's nothing it's just another PB&J.  It is hard. I just don't want people painting you a beautiful picture, painting anyone a beautiful picture and then when reality hits and it's not so beautiful then you feel like something is wrong with you because it's not all sunshine and roses.  

Sorry, don't mean to rain on everyone's parade.  Sometimes you really need to see every side of things to really be prepared for what's to come.  

• Like 4

I haven't read through all the replies but I'll be the odd one and say no it's not almost the same as 5. It's not just another PB&J sandwich. For me it was extremely hard adding another baby/child to our family. Maybe it's because it was an unexpected pregnancy, or because my 3rd trimester of my 6th pregnancy was extremely difficult leaving me unable to do much of anything. Or maybe it was because I've never been good at doing this mother thing and having one more needy person needing me was just too much for me. So I'll say there is a HUGE difference from having 5 and having 6. For me it was harder than going from 1 to 2, which, looking back on it was peanuts from going from 3 to 4, from 4 to 5, from 5 to 6. Going from 1 to 2 was the easiest it doesn't even compare. I don't get people who say it's nothing it's just another PB&J. It is hard. I just don't want people painting you a beautiful picture, painting anyone a beautiful picture and then when reality hits and it's not so beautiful then you feel like something is wrong with you because it's not all sunshine and roses.

Sorry, don't mean to rain on everyone's parade. Sometimes you really need to see every side of things to really be prepared for what's to come.

You know, OP asked for honest feedback and you gave it. I admire you for your candor and for giving authentic answers and not just answers that will make us feel good.

I think many people are equipped to handle large families. Some aren't. It's ok. I think we do people a disservice by sharing all the good and not showing a balanced perspective of what it's really like. Having one child is hard. Having ten children is harder. Here's what I tell people who seem to feel large families are somehow better: everyone's quiver is a different size. My quiver holds four. So, my quiver is full.

(This really shuts down people who are of the "quiverfull" mindset).

I digress. OP, I wish you well whatever the eventual size of your family!

• Like 8

You know, OP asked for honest feedback and you gave it.

No, OP asked to please be told that 6 is just like 5. Which sounded like a JAWM kind of thing. I don't have anywhere near 6, so I can't answer that, but it did not sound like OP wanted honest feedback.

My older neighbor, who had raised 5 girls, said to me when I discovered I was pregnant with #5 "You're already doing the dance. You just do it a little faster."  

I think there's a lot of truth in that! Yes, s/he will be another child and may have very different or individual needs. But, I found that I was able to adjust to meet the demands as my family grew. For me, going from #5 to #6 didn't make all that much difference in our daily schedule, demands on my time (except that whether you have your first newborn or your your 6th, a newborn requires time), vacations, eating out, extracurricular. 

Blessings to you if you are indeed expecting! I'm a mom who freaked out when I found I was expecting #4 and then again with #5. Lol, then years later seriously wished for 6 and 7. 

• Like 3

No, OP asked to please be told that 6 is just like 5. Which sounded like a JAWM kind of thing. I don't have anywhere near 6, so I can't answer that, but it did not sound like OP wanted honest feedback.

I stand corrected. Yes, OP does want people to tell her that six is as easy as five. My apologies.

(I still admire the person who spoke and said it wasn't easy. I think this is hard to admit.)

Sorry, I read the post yesterday and decided not to reply, that I should keep my mouth shut.  But it nagged at me all night.  I just couldn't keep quite.  She may not even be pregnant so in hindsight OP I am sorry.  I should have kept my opinions to myself.

I stand corrected. Yes, OP does want people to tell her that six is as easy as five. My apologies.

(I still admire the person who spoke and said it wasn't easy. I think this is hard to admit.)

Thanks, I appreciate your kindness. 

• Like 1

Jawm or not, it's your choice. I was just wanting to connect for a min with moms of larger families and not get the "do you know what causes that!?" Type of response I get irl.

ETA: When I was pregnant with #5, a coworker actually asked if I had cable "because then you'd have something else to do at night"!

• Like 4

It is much the same. I will advise you NOT to put your house on the market for the 6 months before and/or after s/he is born. If it can be helped. My 6th has been my easiest baby - eating, sleeping, etc. So let that give you hope :) .

We just moved in April. I plan on never moving again. Unless it's to an estate with a pool and a live in maid!

• Like 3

lol Please tell me 5 is as easy as having 4. We moved from the city to the country, (a farm with all the animals and chores) and now we are expecting #5. There will be a 3 years and 4 months between her and the current youngest. That should make things easier, right lol?

I would think so! I have found 5 and 4 to be quite similar. Congrats to you on #5 and your move!

My #6 is by far my hardest child, which is saying a lot.  For me, I don't think it was the number of children, but the personality of each.  If some of my middles had been born later in birth order, my tune would likely be very different. ;)

6 is hard, but if #6 were #1, I'd say 1 is hard! lol

• Like 2

That would have been my Abigail. I do NOT have favorites, but if kids have a birth order personality you are REALLY going to enjoy your sixth child! :D

This kid is sweet, sweet, sweet, and her mama's girl and has been like that from the day she was born. Nope, it was easy peasy to jump from 5 to 6. (She was also my easiest birth - neither the doctor or the nurse made it in the room.) ;)

ETA: And now that I think of it, #7 was super easy too. I'd just go for a twofer! :)

Lol. My first 2 are twins. That's been my only real concern for the OB ever since - I want the early ultrasound to know how many there are!

• Like 1

Test was negative....

But I did it in the afternoon. I'll try again in the morning tomorrow. Still late, which is not usual fo me at all!

Thanks for the support :). You guys are the best.

It must be so nerve-wracking for you to have to keep waiting to know for sure! :grouphug:

• Like 1

Jawm or not, it's your choice. I was just wanting to connect for a min with moms of larger families and not get the "do you know what causes that!?" Type of response I get irl.

ETA: When I was pregnant with #5, a coworker actually asked if I had cable "because then you'd have something else to do at night"!

I get it. I've been asked that question by a total stranger. (if I knew what caused it) As for the cable statement, I would say..well do YOU have cable? Hopefully the other person will say yes. Then you say, "Oh. So you never. .."

You can also use the response my snarky midwife told me. "Well we THOUGHT we knew what caused them, but if that were the case, we'd have thousands of them by now!" Look perplexed.

• Like 5

You know, everyone has a number. One that was hardest. Or where the balance tipped and the logistics became a bigger challenge. That number is very individual. My number five is a sweet baby, one of my best natured, but he was my tipping point. My house can't stay clean enough, my school day isn't smooth enough, I'm late to everything still, etc etc. Now, I think it was that my health crashed with him, and the combo of the number of kids and my own frailty has really done me in. Im not expecting future babies to be as hard- he really was my 'number'.

Six might be that one for you.

Or not.

There is no good way to tell.

But whether six is bliss or awful, you won't regret another little person in the long run. Really. Somehow these things work out, even when there are moments we'd rather run away than do another load of dishes or nurse again in the night. I'm a fan of having as many babies as one can stand, because they grow up and become fascinating, interesting people. Even when the days are hard, the years are short. And if anything is worth the struggle, it is husbands and kiddos :)

You know, everyone has a number. One that was hardest. Or where the balance tipped and the logistics became a bigger challenge. That number is very individual. My number five is a sweet baby, one of my best natured, but he was my tipping point. My house can't stay clean enough, my school day isn't smooth enough, I'm late to everything still, etc etc. Now, I think it was that my health crashed with him, and the combo of the number of kids and my own frailty has really done me in. Im not expecting future babies to be as hard- he really was my 'number'.

Six might be that one for you.

Or not.

There is no good way to tell.

But whether six is bliss or awful, you won't regret another little person in the long run. Really. Somehow these things work out, even when there are moments we'd rather run away than do another load of dishes or nurse again in the night. I'm a fan of having as many babies as one can stand, because they grow up and become fascinating, interesting people. Even when the days are hard, the years are short. And if anything is worth the struggle, it is husbands and kiddos :)

Very well said!

I have a friend who has seven kids.  She had them all in the grocery store with her one day and the man behind her in line asked how she was going to pay for college for all of them.  She immediately asked, "Are you offering to help?!"  He was then speechless as his wife laughed.  Zing!

Somehow, people are fascinated with large families and don't always know when to keep quiet.

• Like 4