Menu

Feeling a little nervous -- medical test today

MyThreeSons

I really thought I was okay with this, but I woke up feeling nervous this morning.

I am having an echocardiogram this afternoon. I don't have any obvious symptoms of anything going wrong, but 30 years ago my Dad was diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome, and last month my youngest son was also diagnosed with it. The probability of me not having it is pretty low -- like one in 40,000. A lot has become known about this condition in the last few decades. Family doctors years ago ruled out both me and my son having it, based on a now-outdated set of criteria. I do have many markers for the condition, although they are all presenting mildly right now. 

They will be looking for leaking valves and an enlarged aortic root. Ds has the enlarged aortic root, and will be monitored as it continues to enlarge. When it reaches a certain size, they will do preventative surgery so that it doesn't rupture. An optimal outcome for me today would be that there aren't any issues with my valves or aorta. Short of that, I really don't want to find that I need surgery anytime soon. The enlarged aortic root doesn't present outward symptoms until it starts to dissect, and then it becomes a life-threatening emergency and immediate surgery is needed. 

I observed ds's echo last month, so I know what to expect. It's not painful or anything, although I will have to lie on a table half naked while a stranger prods my chest. I hope I get the same tech who did my son's scan -- I liked her. I also know that the cardiologist reads the scan herself, so I will have to wait until next week to get the results. I expect the waiting to be the hardest part. 

Thanks for reading this far. Prayers appreciated, if you are so inclined. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

You are correct in that you likely have Marfan's, as you are the direct link between your father and your son.

So, you know what you are working with.  The echo will let you know if you are having any specific problems right now.

I was evaluated for Marfan's years ago as I also have several of the markers.  (It turns out that I have a different genetic defect that has some similar markers.  The cardiologist missed it and I wasn't diagnosed for several more years.)  IIRC, women with Marfan's are especially susceptible to aortic dissection during childbirth, which is why I went to be evaluated.  (I was expecting my 4th child.)

Anyway, you will probably have to get an echo at least every year so that they can continue to monitor everything.  Yes, it's kind of scary; but I think it's better to know exactly what you're dealing with.

Prayers.  And another  :grouphug: .

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone. It went really well. I had the same tech who worked with my son a few weeks ago and she sort of remembered me. 

I got to wear a hospital gown with the opening in the front, so I didn't feel terribly exposed. It wasn't painful, but it was more uncomfortable than I had imagined. Lots of pressure in sensitive places. 

It took about one-third of the time as ds's echo, which I believe is a good sign. The tech couldn't really say anything, but I got the impression that she thought things looked good.

I am well past child-bearing years, so that isn't a concern for me. It would have been nice, though, to have been screened before I did go through three births. 

• Like 9

Thanks, everyone. It went really well. I had the same tech who worked with my son a few weeks ago and she sort of remembered me. 

I got to wear a hospital gown with the opening in the front, so I didn't feel terribly exposed. It wasn't painful, but it was more uncomfortable than I had imagined. Lots of pressure in sensitive places. 

It took about one-third of the time as ds's echo, which I believe is a good sign. The tech couldn't really say anything, but I got the impression that she thought things looked good.

I am well past child-bearing years, so that isn't a concern for me. It would have been nice, though, to have been screened before I did go through three births. 

So glad that it went well.  

And so annoying that the techs aren't allowed to say anything.

As for childbearing, I'm so glad that you got through that without any heart difficulties.