Menu

What's for dinner at your house tonight?

TammyinTN

Cake. Really. I let my girls make dinner while I went for a run. They made a cake with fresh strawberries. They added extra eggs to be the protein and strawberries had the honor of being the vegetable. It probably won't help you plan new meals, but it was good.

• Like 7

Cake. Really. I let my girls make dinner while I went for a run. They made a cake with fresh strawberries. They added extra eggs to be the protein and strawberries had the honor of being the vegetable. It probably won't help you plan new meals, but it was good.

I'm pretty sure that any day that features strawberries as vegetables is a really good day.

• Like 4

What movie?  If it is/was a decent one we should have just gone to your house!

Treasure Island, actually. Made a nice change of pace from the constant reruns of Riders of Berk. :tongue_smilie:

And the pizza was pretty good, too. 

• Like 2

Tonight's dinner is going to be even less imaginative for us (we were the folks who had left-over Chinese last night... so this will make three nights in a row of not cooking  :hurray: ).

Tonight we pick up youngest son at BWI (returning from college for the summer) and he gets to pick a fast food joint for supper (comes back around 8pm - hence - fast food fits our schedule).  Dinner might not be the most creative (he tends to like Taco Bell), but it ought to be superb for other reasons!   :party:

Monday night will be similar - except it will be middle son and he tends to like Hardees.  

For those of us who aren't actually fond of cooking, this is akin to a vacation in itself.  I doubt it does much on the health meter though.   :glare:

• Like 3

Tonight's dinner is going to be even less imaginative for us (we were the folks who had left-over Chinese last night... so this will make three nights in a row of not cooking :hurray: ).

Tonight we pick up youngest son at BWI (returning from college for the summer) and he gets to pick a fast food joint for supper (comes back around 8pm - hence - fast food fits our schedule). Dinner might not be the most creative (he tends to like Taco Bell), but it ought to be superb for other reasons! :party:

Monday night will be similar - except it will be middle son and he tends to like Hardees.

For those of us who aren't actually fond of cooking, this is akin to a vacation in itself. I doubt it does much on the health meter though. :glare:

No shame...I am perhaps related to a young man who says, "Exam week is when you wear your comfy clothes to school and eat fast food."

:lol:

• Like 1

Tonight we are having a retro dinner - pork chops with mushroom sauce and rice, probably with a salad and carrots.

Last night we had baked beans and cornbread and salad.

The night before that we had chicken legs where i stuffed butter and garlic under the skin and on it, with potatoes and veg.

The night before that we had a stir fry of veg and roasted sweet potato over udon noodles.

Tonight it's Creole Red Bean Quinoa Oat Groats from "OATrageous Oatmeals."  The recipe is a slow cooker one, but I'm going to make it in my InstantPot.  I usually convert slow cooker recipes to be made in the pressure cooker.  I like beans when they're presoaked so I'm presoaking the beans right now and I'll add a strip of kombu to the pot when I make it.  I've got salad I made earlier in the fridge that we'll add to the side.

Are we doing this today, too? Because I'm excited about a new meal I am going to try.. we are having a curry chicken and basmati rice casserole, herbed Italian green beans and cesaer salad.

I'd love to hear how you liked the basmati rice casserole, and the recipe if you'll share. 

Last night dh was working swing shift and ds had dinner at his girlfriend's house, so I picked up a calzone for myself from a nearby pizzeria. Tonight is one of the rare nights all three of us will be here and I plan to make picadillo.

I don't know how authentic it is, but it's MIL's recipe so I think's it's at least close to real. They lived in Key West before Castro, and she got the recipe from a Cuban friend. 

Tonight we are having a retro dinner - pork chops with mushroom sauce and rice, probably with a salad and carrots.

I considered a retro dinner - meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and carrots or green beans. When I gave dh the choice between that and picadillo, he chose picadillo. It's just as well. I won't have to heat up the kitchen by turning the oven on. It's going to get close to 90 today, and won't have cooled off much by dinner time.

No shame...I am perhaps related to a young man who says, "Exam week is when you wear your comfy clothes to school and eat fast food."

:lol:

I'm in jeans and sneakers at school on a Thursday as we type.  Casual dress (for teachers and staff) is only allowed on Fridays and a handful of other special days.  Yesterday was one of those.  Today is not.  No one has said a word...

I plan to wear pretty much the same next Tuesday and Wednesday too...

My job during testing has me doing more laps (or sections) of the school than I can count. The exercise is good, esp since I'm going to miss our daily walk this evening as we'll be in the car...

This just happens to be a lull at the moment (when actual testing is happening, but I'm not in a room overseeing that) and I snagged a laptop to fill the time.

steak, ribeye, porterhouse and sirloin, (I just picked up my 1/2 a beef and I'm trying to finish up the last of last's year's as well as make room in the freezer) sauteed with mushrooms and onions

pesto noodles

broccoli

Tomorrow for breakfast they will have something with applesauce as I needed to pull a dish of it out of the freezer to make room and for supper we will have pork tacos with meat that was taking up space in the freezer. They also each a a HUGE bowl of ice cream for lunch because I was trying to empty two partial gallon pails of ice cream that were also taking up much needed freezer space for my beef. For snack they are eating some frozen fruit that was in the freezer.  Does anyone sense a theme here? But I did get all the beef in, I just won't let anyone else open the door for a while because if anything shifts they will never get it closed properly.

• Like 2

Tonight is turkey roast, mashed potatoes, and corn.  This is assuming I can get DD to peel the potatoes for me (no one will eat them with skins).  I am having a partial sick day today, so kids get to help with meals.  If they don't help, then I will have DH pick up take out.  Tomorrow DH and DS will be going to a merit badge clinic so it is just me and the other two so we are doing bacon cheeseburgers and strawberries.  It was kids' choice night.

Chicken and salsa cooked with cheddar cheese for me and dh. DDs get chicken noodle soup since they are fussing about stuffy noses. DS get pbj because I just want him to eat.

ETA: I do not typically make 3 different things but today I've just had it and want a drama free dinner.

Last night we picked up tamales from the stand on the corner and I made a raspberry crumble. Today's meals have been more on Mexican time with tacos and ice cream and raspberry pastries around 2 and we'll have pizza around 7 tonight with friends.  

Also, I had passion fruit sorbet today and it was pretty much heaven.

• Like 1

Tonight it's soft pita bread (from Costco) loaded with hummus, ham, diced cucumber and tomato, black olives, and feta. I usually use alfalfa sprouts too but none of the grocery stores near me carry them. That's one thing I miss in CA :P

Youngest went out with his girlfriend last night, so there was no pressure at home regarding dinner.

Since we had Subway for lunch (break from doing things outside), I wasn't particularly hungry at suppertime anyway - hence - it ended up being a bowl of Great Northern beans (my favorite type to eat by themselves).

I'm beginning to think I should just read this thread earlier in the day and start hunting some of you down...

Or, once kids actually are here and STAY for dinner, then I'll go back to cooking more - maybe.

I've gotten pretty spoiled by empty nesting.  It sort of reminds hubby and me of of our college days.

Since my family finally ate their way through the Costco Sandwich Platter (We got FOUR meals from that thing.) I'm trying a Chicken Cordon Bleu caserole that I pinned a year ago. I'm using chicken breasts in it instead of rotisserie chicken. Here's the recipe. I'll let you all know how it turns out. It looks infinitely easier than making 'real' chicken cordon bleu. I'm a little conflicted about using halal chicken in this recipe, but a sale is a sale.

http://www.freshdreamer.com/2015/01/low-carb-chicken-cordon-bleu-casserole.html

College boy has girlfriend coming over for dinner tonight - and we'll be watching the Preakness (horse race).  I let him pick what we'll eat.  Home-made chipped beef & gravy over mashed potatoes was his choice.  Apparently she doesn't get that at her house and loves it.  It's amazing how young lads in love can be. ;) 

He likes it too, so it's not really that much of a sacrifice to be honest.  I would have gotten more of a chuckle if she'd requested something with brussels sprouts or kale.