Menu

What does mother's day look like for your family?

I just read that the average person spends $172.63 on Mother's Day. :svengo:

We're well below average. Hubby and I bought 3 cards (1 each for our moms, plus his mom has a twin sister who was like a mom to him). Postage was needed for all three.

Then I bought white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies today and we're doing salmon (home cooked) for a meal at some point - probably lunch.

In two weeks when we celebrate with the boys and my mom we'll add in steak (also grilled where we'll be) and a coconut cake.

That puts us a long, long way from $172.63 per person.

Someone out there is getting a really expensive gift/trip/dinner or something to balance out our lack of spending. Enjoy!

That is crazy to me. We do not do gifts for my mom or mil. Dh is making French toast for dinner tomorrow for his mom so we did spend a bit to feed is sibling's families and mil but not even half that amount.

I doubt I'll get a gift. Dh told me he wanted to swap out the picture hanging up with more recent ones but I'm pretty sure if I don't get them printed he'll just forget. I'm OK with that. I'd rather him not waste the money.

• Like 2

My mom and MIL are gone. My kids will make me a card. I'm not really into it. I dislike

planned days like this (Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, birthdays) and I'm not dh's mother. I've never understood why he should get me something. It's much nicer to just randomly have them get me a candy bar or something just because.

• Like 1

I just read that the average person spends $172.63 on Mother's Day. :svengo:

We're well below average. Hubby and I bought 3 cards (1 each for our moms, plus his mom has a twin sister who was like a mom to him). Postage was needed for all three.

Then I bought white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies today and we're doing salmon (home cooked) for a meal at some point - probably lunch.

In two weeks when we celebrate with the boys and my mom we'll add in steak (also grilled where we'll be) and a coconut cake.

That puts us a long, long way from $172.63 per person.

Someone out there is getting a really expensive gift/trip/dinner or something to balance out our lack of spending. Enjoy!

I hope it's me!

I hope it's me!!!

:D

• Like 8

That is crazy to me. We do not do gifts for my mom or mil. Dh is making French toast for dinner tomorrow for his mom so we did spend a bit to feed is sibling's families and mil but not even half that amount.

I doubt I'll get a gift. Dh told me he wanted to swap out the picture hanging up with more recent ones but I'm pretty sure if I don't get them printed he'll just forget. I'm OK with that. I'd rather him not waste the money.

We don't send gifts out either - just cards. 

If the guys get me anything they know it had better be useful.  If they even think about jewelry or paying for cut flowers... well, let's just say they know better.  I think last year they got me a new flowering tree to replace a maple we had to cut down.  It was something we were going to get anyway, so them choosing to get it for MD fit just fine.

Once middle son got creative and made me a coupon book for things like a hug or him doing various chores.  That was fun.  I cashed in the hug one and he gave it back afterward saying it was reusable.   :thumbup1:

I have warned all my guys that many females are far more attached to gifts and other things than I am.  That's as close to practice as they got - well - other than learning that they'd better do all the chores and help hubby with meals on that day.

• Like 2

I used to avoid mothers day because of going through infertility. After DD was born we started a tradition of a day at home watching movies and eating Chinese food. Tomorrow we will have a movie marathon either Harry Potter other The Hobbit and DH will pick up take out for dinner.

I am making embroidered tablecloths for my mom and MIL. I will see my mom on Wednesday and give her the present then. Not sure about MIL that is up to DH to arrange. Most years we just do cards or small personal gifts.

• Like 2

Well, the morning is taken up with church. Dh is going to take me out to lunch afterwards :) My mil usually comes over to our house each year for lunch, but she is away visiting her sister.

I have already gotten flowers and a balloon. I will most likely get homemade cards from the kids in the morning. 

What I love most about mother's day is having my kids constantly come up to me and hug me, and tell me "happy mother's day".

I have a very loving immediate family, and am so thankful for them. 

• Like 1

Small gifts and cards for me at breakfast.

My mom is in rehab following knee replacement surgery so we will go there nd hve lunch with her and give her some small gifts and flowers.

MIL is out of the country this year, so we will call and hope we ge tthe tome zone right and don't wake her in the middle of the night!

Some years my mom treats us me, Dh and kids to lunch out. Some years MIL has all their side of the family over.

We don't usually celebrate much, last year I got breakfast and bed by the kids. This year my dh and son are gone and won't be back until late morning and we'll be crazy busy all. I bought myself some strawberries and some chocolate cups (I found some dairy free and I haven't had chocolate in ages- can't wait to indulge!), so I'm planning a dessert of strawberries with whipped coconut cream in chocolate cups for everyone. We usually call both our moms, we're terrible at remembering to buy cards but these days we've been having the kids make cards.

Not different from any other day. We don't "do" mother's day.

DD at college. DH out of town for work. DS with his girlfriend and at a party with friends.

I have planned a day with no plans, just going to do what I want to do.

ETA: I am allergic to prescribed holidays and find it meaningless when people remember on one specific, heavily advertised, day. I refuse to do Valentine's day either, for the same reason.

But I did buy myself some flowers, because Aldi had a bunch of cheap little roses.

• Like 3

Normal day here.

Except for the obnoxious people at church who can't be bothered to say Boo to me 51 Sunday's a year make a point of wishing me Happy Mother's Day.

It's a holiday I would rather skip. Sort of like my birthday but more widely known.

• Like 2

This is the first year in ten years that I will be near my mother. BUT, my stepdad's niece is graduating from college tomorrow, so they will be spending the early morning/afternoon there. We go to an evening service for church, so the day will most likely just be lazing around till church time. I told the kids I want my car cleaned and vacuumed for Mother's Day. :) Dh's mom passed away in 2001, and he will probably call his dad's new wife, but that's it.

We don't send gifts out either - just cards.

If the guys get me anything they know it had better be useful. If they even think about jewelry or paying for cut flowers... well, let's just say they know better. I think last year they got me a new flowering tree to replace a maple we had to cut down. It was something we were going to get anyway, so them choosing to get it for MD fit just fine.

Once middle son got creative and made me a coupon book for things like a hug or him doing various chores. That was fun. I cashed in the hug one and he gave it back afterward saying it was reusable. :thumbup1:

I have warned all my guys that many females are far more attached to gifts and other things than I am. That's as close to practice as they got - well - other than learning that they'd better do all the chores and help hubby with meals on that day.

He ordered the pictures! Family pictures are the only non useful item I like because it is the only thing I decorate my walls with aside from children art work. So he does know me pretty well. He is from a very gift oriented family and even though he doesn't particularly care about giving gifts it is so ingrained in his brain that he feels weird not getting me something.

After 7 years of marriage I think he's caught on that jewelry and flowers aren't my thing. The greatest gift anyone could give me is going on a hike with me.

• Like 3

This Mother's day I will be helping my mom mow my sister's yard, does that count?

I hate holidays, seriously if Halloween and 4th of July were the only holidays I would be happy(costumes and fireworks!).  So for mother's day the kids will often give me a card or make me something small.  I will call my mom and grandmother..... we don't speak to DH's family or to my mom's mother ((MIL and my Gran are made from the same cloth).  That's it.  I know people go all out for holidays and if it makes them happy then that's wonderful, I just don't like the fuss.

• Like 1

Even though we don't usually celebrate Hallmark holidays, we do have a fun tradition on Mothers Day. Typically the weather has just started to warm up, so we like to go to a certain favorite harbor town and go hiking in the hills. We usually have a yummy late breakfast a a favorite cafe, spend time searching for sea glass, discover new trails, and on the way home we stop at our favorite garden center and get new plants for the yard. There's nothing obliging about the day, it's just a very "us" way of spending a spring day together.

This year DS is at a sleepover birthday party so it won't work out. But it's a place we go frequently enough and there will be more beautiful weekends. It does make for a great kickoff to the season, though. :)

• Like 1

Usually much like every other day, only with apologizing from my kids and dh about not getting/doing anything for me for it..lol.  I really don't care.  I'm not a huge fan of Mother's Day because I have mother issues of my own and mostly just find it kind of depressing.  

• Like 2

Before my mom moved across the country she would spend the day with is and we would relax and enjoy brunch together. Now it is just us. We relax. I putter in the yard.

We see my mil the day before when traffic to get to her is less.

We don't do anything big, I pick dinner and dessert and the kids make cards and pictures (came down to a pile this March during our Mothering Sunday that continued to grow during the day), and we cuddle up to watch a movie together (usually Brave - proper Mother's Day movies for their ages are few it seems). We run a social group on Sundays and Wednesday for our local geeky disabled people so I don't to do anything else big on Sundays or I'll get too worn out and I don't have a desire for more. Cuddles, cards, and cakes are all I want  :laugh:  

We typically send a card and small gift to my mother-in-law (my parents are not in the picture). I used to send my in-laws picture mugs for Mothering Sunday and Father's Day but after a couple of years I found they kept them displayed them rather than used them and didn't want to clutter their house anymore so we now send picture cards instead usually with some consumable treat the kids pick. We tend to do proper lunches with them once in the summer, for our grandparents weekend in October, and sometime during the New Year. We typically send my partner's grandmother and my grandfather photo books which they enjoy, especially now they that are too poorly to cope with all of us at once/travel over here. 

He ordered the pictures! Family pictures are the only non useful item I like because it is the only thing I decorate my walls with aside from children art work. So he does know me pretty well. He is from a very gift oriented family and even though he doesn't particularly care about giving gifts it is so ingrained in his brain that he feels weird not getting me something.

After 7 years of marriage I think he's caught on that jewelry and flowers aren't my thing. The greatest gift anyone could give me is going on a hike with me.

Awesome!

Hubby coordinated with the boys (all still away from home) and bought me 4 pots of African Violets (one from each of them).  Mine died while we were in the Bahamas in Feb, and while I'm not "attached" to flowers, it was disappointing because they remind me of my grandmother who passed away last Nov.  Her house was full of them.  She was super good at growing and multiplying them.

They could not have chosen a better gift IMO - esp since I wasn't expecting any today.

We've already been out on a walk together this nice morning, both around our farm (checking on plants we put in our garden yesterday) and down our private road.  Before getting up I heard our outdoor aviary going strong - owls, (wild) turkeys, geese, rooster, peacock, crows, jays, and assorted songbirds.  To many it's loud noise.  To me it's heavenly spring music.

Hubby's in the kitchen fixing breakfast as I type.

Later we'll probably head down to the creek (our farm borders a section of it - in the woods - absolutely a gorgeous area).

Other than not having my boys here, it's starting off as a near perfect day, so even with the flowers adding to hubby's individual cost for the day, someone else is welcome to the rest of his (and the boys') average $ spent!

• Like 2

Mother's Day is also my mother's birthday!  So she gets to pick the schedule of the day - luckily we all love the restuarant she picked, and she insisted on making a cake (I guess with my food allergies - no one likes my cakes anymore!). My husband just went to Starbucks to get me a special coffee and presented me with my a new phone last night. It was time -past time - for me to get an upgrade. So that was nice. I look forward to getting the kids to do chores without grumbling.

• Like 1

Usually we get together with my mom, aunt and Grandma, and whichever of my siblings and their families who are in town to celebrate all the moms and Grandma's birthday. DH usually calls his mom and sends a card if I remind him to buy one.

This year, we had DS's First Communion yesterday, so we gave cards and small gifts and sang "Happy Birthday" to Grandma as part of the party. Today we'll meet up with DH's family at their hotel for breakfast to celebrate FIL's birthday coming up since everyone is together. The rest of the day will be for me relaxing and DH and the kids cleaning up from yesterday. I have SWB's new book waiting to be picked up from the hold shelf at our library, so I'm looking forward to reading that while drinking good coffee :-)

We're pretty low key around here about most holidays and mothers day is no exception. This morning, we're having MIL over for pancakes and fruit salad. DH and DS are out getting her flowers and a card right now actually. DS made me a card and brought me coffee this morning. That's about it. My mom is out of town for the weekend, so we'll make sure to have a card for her tomorrow and I might splurge and make appointments for us to get pre-summer pedicures together. 

Well, Mother's Day is the final performance of our big ballet weekend, so I've spent the entire weekend being "Mom" to the 100+ dancers in the lower levels (I coordinate the volunteers and manage crowd control for the youngers).

I've already cooked my breakfast and am waiting to wake up the big ballerinas for a quick church service before we go to the studio.

Since we moved here, Mother's Day has been a very small affair because of ballet; some years we'll celebrate the weekend after, but not this year, as that's eldest dd's graduation weekend.

I did send cards to mother and mother-in-law.

Honestly? Mother's Day and my birthday are my two least favorite holidays. Ever. I feel like the expectations are SOOOO ramped up. My dh is a great, amazing guy, but he doesn't do romantic or gifts. At all. My kids sometimes do, sometimes don't. I'd rather just skip the days all together. Anyone else like that, or is it just me?

This weekend is always my birthday weekend, so we usually do birthday related things. DH and the boys did make me breakfast in bed (complete with a printed menu!) and are letting me veg out in the bedroom, reading and watching TV shows on Hulu. I haven't been asked for anything yet today. Best gift ever.

Normally Mother's Day leaves me feeling down. Most years I get very little recognition, which isn't so bad in itself but makes me really aware of the contrast between how society says the day is "supposed" to be for me, and how it really is. Last year there was nothing except a decorated bag of M&Ms my 5yo made in co-op. I literally had to tell my husband to tell me "Happy Mother's Day."

This year I got breakfast in bed (Dunkin Donuts and tea) and handmade presents that the kids put a lot of effort into. Now my husband has taken them to church and I am home enjoying another cup of tea in silence. This afternoon we will go see Avengers 2: Age of Ultron together. (My choice. Really.) And I will call my mom, of course.

I swear middle son is going to make someone the perfect husband someday. (This is the same lad some of you met at our get together in March. He turns 21 Tuesday.  He's the one I'm holding in the pic - cousin to the left, oldest brother to the right.)

Even with our "mild" celebration of Mother's Day, when I got off the phone with him just now he told me to check my e-mail.  That said to kick hubby off Facebook and look at his (son's) new profile. This is what was there (caption below pic):

Stephen%20M-day.jpg

Here's to the woman who constantly supports me and helps me stand when I lose my balance in life, who always believes in me and encourages me to reach for the stars and not sell myself short, and who loves me unconditionally as only a mother can! I love you so much Mom! Happy Mother's Day :)

Honestly?  That present means far more to me than anything he could have paid money for.

• Like 7

I swear middle son is going to make someone the perfect husband someday. (This is the same lad some of you met at our get together in March. He turns 21 Tuesday. He's the one I'm holding in the pic - cousin to the left, oldest brother to the right.)

Even with our "mild" celebration of Mother's Day, when I got off the phone with him just now he told me to check my e-mail. That said to kick hubby off Facebook and look at his (son's) new profile. This is what was there (caption below pic):

Stephen%20M-day.jpg

Here's to the woman who constantly supports me and helps me stand when I lose my balance in life, who always believes in me and encourages me to reach for the stars and not sell myself short, and who loves me unconditionally as only a mother can! I love you so much Mom! Happy Mother's Day :)

Honestly? That present means far more to me than anything he could have paid money for.

It would have meant more to me, too. That email brought tears to my eyes and it wasn't even my email! :)

The photo was the perfect choice, too -- it probably took him quite a while to find it. You are so pretty, and your boys are adorable -- I'll bet they are very handsome now that they are older!

• Like 2

It looks like me sleeping in and waking up to a homemade breakfast AND a clean kitchen. I am usually given presents on and a card on Saturday or a different day, because DH shops at the last minute and has a terrible time having to wait to give me things. :). This year it was a couple geeky Firefly things and some candy.

My kids are young enough that I get pictures torn out of coloring books or presents made in HS art class plus lots of hugs as gifts.

Now I am alone with full control of Netflix and the kids are at a movie with DH. Later we will go to my in laws for an early dinner. My in laws and parents are good friends, so my parents will be there too. We have flowers and cards for our moms.

Every year looks different, but so far I have always gotten to sleep in, breakfast with no dirty dishes, and a few hours to myself.

• Like 1

It would have meant more to me, too. That email brought tears to my eyes and it wasn't even my email! :)

The photo was the perfect choice, too -- it probably took him quite a while to find it. You are so pretty, and your boys are adorable -- I'll bet they are very handsome now that they are older!

He took a bunch of his youngster photos back with him as his dance troupe was using a couple for a performance they gave at the end of the year.  This must have been among them.

Here's the most recent sharable online pic I have of him. It was from a year ago when he was getting ready to head to the Ivory Coast on a medical mission trip (he had been trying on scrubs to be sure they fit).  What a difference 19-20 years makes, huh?  He can finally stand on his own for a pic!

2014-06-26001.jpg

• Like 3

He took a bunch of his youngster photos back with him as his dance troupe was using a couple for a performance they gave at the end of the year. This must have been among them.

Here's the most recent sharable online pic I have of him. It was from a year ago when he was getting ready to head to the Ivory Coast on a medical mission trip (he had been trying on scrubs to be sure they fit). What a difference 19-20 years makes, huh? He can finally stand on his own for a pic!

I was right -- he did grow up to be very handsome! :hurray:

• Like 1