Menu

What does mother's day look like for your family?

When my kids were here it was focused/centered on me for the most part.  I got to choose what we did, where we went, and they did ALL chores.  We called both grandmas, but that was about it.  We sent cards for the day too.  (Neither live close enough to visit for part of a day.)

Now that we're empty nesting we've "moved" the day off two weeks and will be celebrating (sort of) when the college boys are both home - and we'll be with my mom at the time.  Chances are a steak dinner and coconut cake will be part of it.

Still... for tomorrow... I'm heading to the store today to pick what I want for a main meal.  It's likely to include lamb (if they have it) or steak or salmon.  Any of those tend to be my favorites when I get to choose something made at home.  Sides will all be easy enough for hubby to make - probably frozen veggies reheated.  Dessert is likely to be red grapes.  Time will tell if any of the boys call.  It won't get me upset if they don't, but I'll be glad to hear from them if they do.

• Like 1

A bit for everyone.

On Saturday (today) I prod the kids towards card making and meal planning, and make sure all the ducks are in a row for Sunday.

On Sunday, my kids assemble breakfast, and we go to Sunday school and Church. I get presents and cards (if not earlier -- sometimes I pretend to be a "present fairy" and pre-buy gifts for myself, and often kid-made presents reveal themselves early).

After Church, our family, plus my parents and in-laws meet up at a restaurant for lunch. We give presents and cards to the grandmas. Some years we do an afternoon activity with one or both sets (parents or in laws). Other years, we all just head home after lunch for a relaxing afternoon.

My DH usually makes supper with a nice dessert, or else I guide the kids through helping me with supper/dessert.

We have sent gifts to our moms and we'll call them on Sunday, but they live too far for us to visit. We'll see them in a few weeks.

As usual, I am going to skip church to avoid the Mother's Day-themed service, which I just can't stand.

DH usually cooks. It should be a nice, relaxing day at home.

• Like 1

My mom passed away two years ago and mother in law lives 1000 miles away.  Her card has been mailed and received and dh will call her Sunday. 

Our kids are scattered all over, and I usually get a phone call or text from them. 

Our theater lets moms in free on mother's day so dh and I are going to a movie.  

We've never been big on making Mother's Day a big deal.  I know my kids love me and that's good enough for me. 

• Like 5

This year - I am in school and have class, so nothing going on.

Typically - rarely anything celebrated though may have a nicer dinner. Some years we do meet with MIL and take her to dinner - but we usually prefer to not go out on this day.

My mom is deceased. Before she died, we'd have dinner together that dh, dbil, and Dad would cook for us :)

Since then, dsis and I have gotten together about half the time for dinner (her dh travels a lot, so we don't get together when he has to leave the next day or returns home the day before).

I usually get to do whatever I want :D which means I play in the dirt and talk to my plants, skip church so I don't cry during mass, read a book, and drink cocktails on the deck!

This year we'll be meeting mil and dh's siblings/families at a botanic garden in the morning. We'll be there for a couple hours, but will not spend the rest of the day with them. Dh is going to mix some drinks and cook dinner :)

I told dd15 I'd like her room to be clean for my MD gift :lol:

We live 12 hours from my mom and 7 hours from my mother in law, so other than a phone call that's about all we do for them on Sunday. As for me, it will be just like every other Sunday including me cooking lunch after church and if there are gifts I'll be shocked.

We don't do anything either. My mother never made a big deal about the day and I don't care about it either. My birthday is just before and oldest ds's is either just before, on, or just after so Mother's Day is in the way or redundant. This year we'll be celebrating his birthday on the 10th since he won't be home for dinner and cake on his birthday. Also, he's always been annoyed that people get all gushy when they hear his birthday is on Mother's Day.

Sometimes I remember to email my mother something cheerful.

I send my Mom a card. She lives over an hour away and I don't see her much. My grandmother is hosting a BBQ and they asked me to come over but I just flat out don't want to drive that far. My oldest dd usually gets me some flowers, otherwise we don't do anything special. We'll have our regular Sunday, grocery shopping in the morning and pork chops for dinner.

I can't remember but I think when my kids were small, they made cards. We just don't play up these types of holidays.

Not a huge deal here, but we are making an effort because my dd5 is excited. I shall lie abed pretending to sleep (ie feeding baby) until hubby and dd bring me a bagel and fruit in bed:)

First MD as a family of four so I plan to take the pictures I have been meaning to take:)

• Like 1

My mother is 1000 miles away, so my husband and kids make it a nice day for me. It usually involves a day trip to a place I pick, kids behaving well, and my husband going along with whatever it is (even shopping at Ikea one year!) with a smile on his face. :D

• Like 3

It's pretty much a normal Sunday at our house.

I don't like Mother's Day (or any of the Hallmark holidays) and prefer to not have attention focused on me.  The boys and DH may (or may not) wish me a "Happy Mother's Day."  I'm fine either way.

We go see my MIL in the afternoon, but we do that almost every Sunday.  We take her a card and will take her out to eat in a week or two.  We don't take her out on MD because restaurants are too crowded, and because sometimes DH's brother takes her out for lunch.  She doesn't expect anything -- she's just happy that we come see her every week. :)

When my mother was alive we always got her a card and a small gift (a potted plant, etc.) or would take her out to eat some day other than MD.  We didn't make a huge deal out of it because she (like me) preferred it that way.  Like MIL, she was content knowing that we were a constant part of her life and always would be. No special day required. :)

• Like 1

I am feeling like a cranky brat about Mother's Day this year. There's a ton of expectations about how I should be happy all day because "it's my day." Whatever.

I'm celebrating with my Mom Monday night, my mother-in-law tomorrow at lunch. I will get gifts tomorrow at breakfast, before we rush out the door to church.

Next year, I think I'm going to ask for a quiet day at home with nowhere to go. Or maybe just skip the day altogether. First world problems, I know.

• Like 3

Pretty much a normal day here.  My mom died a long time ago, and my MIL lives far away.  We sent her a gift and my husband will call her. 

I have mixed feelings about these days.  I don't really care about them.  But I like some sort of acknowledgement most because I want my son to see how these things are done.  I know a lot of women who feel hurt that their husbands don't do anything for MD (and similar days) and I don't want my son to be that man.  He is not one to notice stuff like that unless it's obvious - he needs clear "lessons," kwim?   So I like a little bit of "pampering" (for lack of a better word though I hate that word) so the boy sees it.  My husband will grill dinner.  My daughter might make a card.  

• Like 1

I actually kind of resent how I have to spend Mother's Day. Usually we see my mil on Saturday (today) but this year it's our anniversary and I'd rather not spend that with my mil who lives an hour away. She is fine with seeing us another time. My own Mom, otoh, expects everyone to see everyone on the exact day of each holiday and will not take no for an answer. Every birthday, Christmas, Easter, Mother's and Father's Day she must see us in person on that day, regardless of any plans we may have. So tomorrow I will be preparing and hosting a sit down dinner for 8...when what I really want to do is go to the local garden (my kids got me a membership for my bday) and enjoy the day looking at flowers. My poor sil suggested that instead of having Christmas on Christmas Day (she has a larger family, as does my husband) we have it at her house Christmas Eve- it was immediately and irrevocably shot down.  

My mom has been dead 20+ years.

My mil never hangs out with us and that is unlikely to change for Mother's Day.

Most mother's days we (me, dh, and all the kids) go to a carnival for the entire Saturday as a family and have a great time together and eat lunch at a restaurant near the carnival.

It's rare I get gifts aside from the carnival, but sometimes I do and that's great either way.

If I'm too pregnant to go ride carnival rides or the carnival is rained out, we don't do much else. Usually stay home and watch movies and dh or the kids will make whatever for me to eat or let me nap, which I rarely do. I'm not a nap person. Usually the little ones will draw me some pictures or cards and that's always sweet.

Last year I was ridiculously spoiled with gifts and way too much money was spent, but it was lovely and I don't expect it every year.

No pressure. No big expense, other than the all day ride pass for the carnival.

We invite my mil to join us or offer to bring the kids over for a visit, but in 22 years, she has never once wanted to do that. I can't comprehend it personally, but she is the way she is.

• Like 3

My mother and mil have both passed and none of my children have married so the day is all about ME!! :)

I have adult children on down to the youngest who is 8 so they have been planning on making mother's day special. I don't have to do anything - no cooking, cleaning, etc. and plan on:

1. watching movies (Jane Austen-y types and NO superheroes, aliens, fistfights, shootings, etc. type movies allowed)

2. knitting, knitting, and more knitting

3. yummy snacks involving chocolate

4. coffee and different teas served throughout the day

It really bugs me when I hear that some families don't do anything special for their mother. :(  If the mother truly doesn't care about Mother's Day then that's one thing, but if she is always left hoping  then that makes me indignant on her behalf. Even when all our kids were little my dh would try to make Mother's Day nice. It wasn't the utopia it is now :laugh:  but he did put forth effort.

I hope all the moms here have a lovely day!

• Like 3

Well, I'll come off sounding like a downer, but it doesn't look like anything here.  My mother is no longer alive.  My MIL lives in another country.  DH usually asks what gift I want.  I wanted a vegetable spirilizer and I already got it.

So..could be worse.  I did get a fun kitchen gadget.

They'll make me breakfast, then we'll all go to church. We all go to my MIL's for a couple hours, and spoil her. I used to go home and take a nap while the boys all worked in her yard, but her yard is in pretty good shape now that she's retired, and I am more rested now that the boys aren't little, so I think we'll all go for a hike together. They'll probably make dinner for me, too. :)

• Like 1

When my mom and MIL were still alive, we made Mother's Day a big deal for both of them and although I still got gifts and attention, it was really all about my mom and MIL. I would give just about anything to go back to those days, because I took it for granted at the time that there would always be a "next Mother's Day" with them... until there wasn't. :(

But these days, Mother's Day is all about me. My dh and ds15 both buy me cards ans some great gifts and we eat out for all three meals of the day, and we go wherever I want to go unless they surprise me with something special.

So I guess you could say we do the Hallmark Holiday thing. I love it.

We make a big deal out of every holiday, so this isn't just a Mother's Day thing. :)

• Like 3

Well, DH bought me a firearm this week for Mother's Day...but I gave him the stink eye...so a few days later I got tulips from ProFlowers, which I'm pretty sure were a "Sorry I bought you a firearm for a Mother's Day gift" gift.   :D

We'll probably go to the early service @ church so we can beat the crowds at the local eateries.  

I'm thinking I want a good steak...

ETA:  MIL will probably get a phone call from DH.  My mom will get a amazon gift card, which is scheduled to deliver tomorrow. I'll probably give her a call, too.

Growing up, we spent Mother's Day cleaning out either the garage or the basement. I'm carrying in the grand tradition by asking my husband to keep the house child-free for four hours so I can tackle a complete re- org/de-clutter/clean up if the master closet and storage area. Someday my own minions will be big enough to actually help; this year cleaning by myself is a treat.

My MIL and mom already got cards in the mail and will receive phone calls tomorrow.

• Like 1

We'll go to church tomorrow.  Can't skip even if I really wanted to sleep late because I'm a Sunday School Helper tomorrow. 

MIL lives 2 hours away so we don't usually see her, but DH took the kids down to see her last weekend and gave her something (I don't even know what, I guess I should ask).  We would usually have brunch or dinner at my mother's house but she's in Florida until June.  I sent her a card with some gift cards and we'll try and go out to dinner when she gets back.

Dh got me a cactus garden that I'll bring into work to have on my desk.  It replaces one he got me when I was hired that had philodendrons and similar greens that outgrew its basket and he repotted into a big ceramic pot that is way too big for me to haul into work.  It fits very nicely in front of our fireplace now.

My mother sent me a card that I'm sure contains some form of gift card.  The kids made me something that is sitting on my mantel with a big sign "DON'T OPEN UNTIL SUNDAY" on it.  Probably a nice handmade card.   Not sure about oldest dd.  She's perpetually broke.   :tongue_smilie:

Oldest dd is coming home for dinner tonight before she has to run to work.  But dinner is for my dad's birthday so not about me.  I picked my stepmother up a plant to give her at dinner for Mothers Day.

Both mothers are dead.  :(  and :(   Mine died on March 5 of this year, so tomorrow will feel -- (abnormal).

This morning, DD woke up early and sneakily prepared a "candlelight breakfast" for DH and me to enjoy.  As we neither eat nor drink prior to the Divine Liturgy on Sunday mornings, today was her chance.  It was SO sweet and enjoyable to get up for this!  I teased her that the only thing lacking was the strolling violinist playing love songs.  (DD is a violinist.)

If the rains are not too heavy tomorrow afternoon, DD wants to take me to see "Cinderella".

• Like 3

Both mothers are dead. :( and :( Mine died on March 5 of this year, so tomorrow will feel -- (abnormal).

This morning, DD woke up early and sneakily prepared a "candlelight breakfast" for DH and me to enjoy. As we do neither eat nor drink prior to the Divine Liturgy on Sunday mornings, today was her chance. It was SO sweet and enjoyable to get up for this! I teased her that the only thing lacking was the strolling violinist playing love songs. (DD is a violinist.)

If the rains are not too heavy tomorrow afternoon, DD wants to take me to see "Cinderella".

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. :crying: The first Mother's Day without my mom was very rough, and she had passed away the previous fall, so it had already been several months. It will be so much harder for you because it's so recent. :(

Your dd sounds like a wonderful girl!

• Like 2

Usually we go out to lunch with my parents and then I send my dh and sons off to visit his mom. It's the best of both worlds! I either binge watch Netflix, or nap. I like to honor my mom. My mom is awesome. I'd be ok just celebrating her, but my dh always does great stuff for me, too. His mom is getting ready to start chemo and we are all sick, so I know it will be a sad Mother's Day because we can't see her and support her in person. We'll probably Skype and then take her some gifts after we're well and she recovers from the first treatment.

Me, I guess. 

My mom isn't very local (a few hours from us). DH's mom passed when he was still a child, and I think Mother's Day is hard for him...

but he still makes sure it's special for me. 

We generally go out to dinner sans kiddos a day or two after Mother's Day; this year it'll be the weekend after. He is planning on making dinner tomorrow (a special dinner, as he calls it, lol), and he generally has the children buy me a gift. 

If I get to go to visit my family, we order out and eat at my mom's house. If we're home, I pick where I want to go eat after church. DH usually gets me a card and whatever I ask for (in the price range we've set for mother's/father's day gifts). 

This year, dh is flying out to Vegas for a conference. So, I'll be going to church 1st service, doing my volunteer shift second service, and coming home to veg on the couch. lol Maybe pick up something to go for lunch. (We did our dinner celebration last night instead.)

My oldest son is in jail and has been since October 2nd of this year. It has been a really tough year, getting through all the holidays with my son missing...and this is just one more to survive. It won't truly feel like Mother's Day to me. 

I see my mom and mil on mother's day. We go to my mom's for lunch where my dad make pizza and we go to my Mil's for dinner. Usually we order food so no one has to cook but this year dh volunteered to make French toast and bacon for dinner. We will also be celebrating my dd's bday tomorrow.

I love how mother's day is celebrated here. I love being able to spend time with everyone but I don't really want a day just for me.

Rjmakmom - :grouphug:  :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

The Army National Guard gave me my present last night: my child is home safe and sound. :) <3

Tomorrow will be just another day, since my mother lives far enough away that I mailed her card and present last week. My digital native has been asking me when Mother's Day is, but I stay vague since my millenials aren't great about remembering such things and I don't want them to feel bad about it.

We aren't churchgoers, so we'll probably do school tomorrow, but we might take today off to celebrate big brother's homecoming.

• Like 4

Since I live several states away, I mail a gift and make sure to call my mom.

Until recently, we had to go be with my MIL on Mother's Day.  PLUS my youngest was born May 11, so it is also b'day time for her.  Now MIL is no more, but dd expects a nice meal, dessert, gifts....birthday's out rank Mother's Day ;-)

Will probably get a gift or two from the kids, no big deal. 

We live in a different state from my mom and mil and since my kids are all older I get to relax all day.  They usually make me breakfast in bed and dinner and after dinner we watch a movie or take a beach walk together.  During the day I usually stay in bed and read.

My oldest son is in jail and has been since October 2nd of this year. It has been a really tough year, getting through all the holidays with my son missing...and this is just one more to survive. It won't truly feel like Mother's Day to me. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: 

• Like 1

We get something small (usually a bouquet of flowers) for my mom and MIL, but DH and the kids mostly focus on me.  We sort of make it a weekend event, since we are LDS and observe the Sabbath.  I'm actually headed out for a massage in a few minutes (DH's gift to me this year) and we'll probably go out to dinner tonight.  We'll attend church tomorrow.  Usually I get to take a nap and DH and the kids have plans to make dinner. 

• Like 1

It's a Sunday,where I am working most of the day. Dh is taking ds to Special Olympics and visiting his mom not because it's Mothers Day, but because she is 80 and so he started a routine of calling her to see if he can stop by her place once a week. My mother is out of town at my niece's med school graduation.

Dh said he wants to get take out for a nice dinner with our family tomorrow. So, I guess that means it's focused on me.

I just read that the average person spends $172.63 on Mother's Day.   :svengo:

We're well below average.  Hubby and I bought 3 cards (1 each for our moms, plus his mom has a twin sister who was like a mom to him).  Postage was needed for all three.

Then I bought white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies today and we're doing salmon (home cooked) for a meal at some point - probably lunch.

In two weeks when we celebrate with the boys and my mom we'll add in steak (also grilled where we'll be) and a coconut cake.

That puts us a long, long way from $172.63 per person.

Someone out there is getting a really expensive gift/trip/dinner or something to balance out our lack of spending.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

I just read that the average person spends $172.63 on Mother's Day.   :svengo:

That blows my mind.  But, I think about the ads for fine jewelry and such this time of year, so I guess there are some people giving and getting big gifts. 

We need a car pretty badly, and I admit I was sort of hoping... but my husband would never buy a car without me driving it first. It wouldn't really be a gift anyway, just a much-needed but also desired thing that was also presented on a traditional gift occasion.   But it would put us over the average, for the first and only time!  :-)

• Like 1

Mothers Day usually means a get together with family for us. Sometimes it is DH's Mom but this year we are doing a BBQ at my Grandmas house. We are taking MIL out to dinner on Monday. My kids are still young so they don't really do anything for me and DH is a hit and miss when it comes to Hallmark holidays so I don't expect anything. He asked what I wanted and I told him I wanted him to not show any houses (he is a realtor) on Sunday and to finish painting our bathroom cabinets so they can get installed!

Are you the center of it or is it focused on your mom and/or mother-in-law?  or is it a bit of both?  Do you see your mom and/or mother-in-law at all?  Do you do something with them on a different day?  How do you balance it? 

We ALL are!

Diamond (20 this week!) was born on Mother's Day. So we have always had the 2 Grannies (and my step-dad when he was alive) over for Mother's Day Brunch combined with Diamond's birthday. Anyone who is not a mom has to contribute- cook, clean, serve, or bring something. Moms just relax!

This year, we are throwing in Diamond's college graduation dinner, too.

We just don't have enough days in the month to do separate celebrations for everyone and everything.

This year I hosted a big Mother's Day brunch for my mom, MIL, two grandmothers, several aunts, and one Grammy-in-law. It was a blast! The weather is finally warming up around here (we hit 73 today!) and we had great food, great company, and sat around in the sun watching the kids play.

Then, after all the family had gone home, DH ordered pizza and we chilled out some more. Perfect day.

While I certainly get not wanting to buy into the hype of some of these holidays, I want to teach my children (especially my boys) that it's an important thing to really go all out for their moms and wives sometimes. I want them to know how to pamper their wives, even if it's for a cheesy holiday. All of us hard-working moms like a little special attention sometimes!

• Like 4

It's a working day for me, which means I can't go see my mom without getting grief from work.  Though my mom's birthday is around this time, and I do insist on going at least once (if feasible).

I am unmarried and have two 8yo daughters.  I'd rather not have a fuss made.  But my friends "sneak" with my kids and make a fuss anyway.  I will be forced to overeat and pretend to be thrilled.

Sorry, I am just not into it.  A few greetings would be appreciated; but a whole party atmosphere is too much.

I don't have any in-laws, so I don't have to worry about that part of the equation.

• Like 1