Menu

Age to start using tampons

Cottonwood

Whenever she wants to! I think girls are way too unfamiliar with their bodies-----for example, the mysterious "down there". I just don't understand.

That being said, dd15 has tried and isn't comfortable yet. Dd20 was probably 16 or so. Both girls began menstuating at 13.25-13.75. I have been using tampons exclusively since I was 20.

• Like 2

I would be comfortable with my daughter using them whenever she is ready to use them.  My 14 year old got her period when she was 12.  She still hasn't tried tampons yet.  She just isn't interested, but she knows that she can try them whenever she is ready.

My 12 year old hasn't started yet, but as soon as she does, she will have to try tampons.  She takes ballet classes 6 days a week.  There is no option for her.  She will need to go to tampons right away.  She knows this and is okay with it.  I hope that her period doesn't come for a while though!

• Like 3

I had my first period at the ripe old age of 9 and was using tampons for swimming by age 12 or so, I think. Obviously I have no problems with letting young girls use them. I do beg you, though, to make sure that your daughter knows that you're available to answer questions--I wasn't comfortable talking to my mom about it, so I ended up figuring it out just from the instructions in the box. It ended up being a painful learning experience.

• Like 4

My ONLY hesitation is if a teen is flighty and might not remember to change them frequently or even forget to take that last one out after her period ends. 

You would think that never happens...but it does. A friend's dd was 17 and she was so ill, and when they admitted her to the hospital they discovered she had a tampon that had been in for weeks. She had forgotten about it.  

But other than that, it's her body and if she wants to use tampons, I'd be fine with it. 

• Like 11

My ONLY hesitation is if a teen is flighty and might not remember to change them frequently or even forget to take that last one out after her period ends. 

You would think that never happens...but it does. A friend's dd was 17 and she was so ill, and when they admitted her to the hospital they discovered she had a tampon that had been in for weeks. She had forgotten about it.  

But other than that, it's her body and if she wants to use tampons, I'd be fine with it. 

Yes this!

I know some very young girls start their periods and I'd worry about safety/health issues. I mean, my dd was 11, and I was still having to tell her stuff like brush your teeth, put on deodorant, comb your hair, etc.

They need to know it's not just about smell or being clean, but it is a REAL health issue!

Other than that, I suppose it's up to the girl.

• Like 9

Wow.  That has got to be unusual though.  I can't imagine that. 

• Like 1

Me? Never because I am not comfortable with the chemicals in them and potential side effects. I would be fine with them using a menstrual cup at any time they're comfortable. So far, cloth pads have been the preferred method in my house by the younger because the cup looks far too intimidating to insert.

• Like 5

Wow.  That has got to be unusual though.  I can't imagine that. 

It's unusual for a girl to forget it for that long, for sure! But when our daughters were teens that they'd go into the city for the day or Six Flags or something and it's was common for their friends to put a tampon in 'in case' they started a period that day.   They didn't want to get caught off guard with white shorts on while they were away from home. 

Our girls didn't have PMS signs like cramping or anything to alert them that their periods were coming. Heck, I didn't either until after I had kids.  So our older girls thought it was a good idea to have in 'just in case' when they suspected it might be time to start. I counseled against that but who knows if they took my advice or not. 

• Like 1

I think I grabbed them on day 2 of my first period, just before my 13th birthday. My mom had thought maxipads would be more comfortable for a teen, but since I used to sit on the couch kind of like that little mermaid statue on a rock in Copenhagen I felt very worried about leakage. The first few periods I used both maxipads and tampons while I figured out how often to change them.

DD unfortunately is like me.  We basically flood.  She was burning through a LOT of pads every day and it was interfering with her activities.  She finally asked to use tampons as well as pads to try and buy more time between changes.  It took a bit to get used to them but she is much happier now.  She was 14 when she started but if she had wanted to try using them at 13 I would have had no issues with it.  

Can you try a small size? If she's using an applicator, try one without, such as OB - they make a slim/junior.  

Agreeing. The OB non applicator ones sometimes work better in this situation. Their slim/junior size is the smallest I've seen, and if you flare the end like they show in the instructions they tend to leak less as well.

• Like 1

Can you try a small size? If she's using an applicator, try one without, such as OB - they make a slim/junior.

Do you know what they are called? I can't find any special teen sizes in the store.

There should be  coupons on the webpage if you decide to try them.

You can use either Pro Comfort or Original regular to get the tiny one. The Pro Comfort have a smoother outer layer that helps them slide in.

These are the smallest tampons I've ever seen but absorb as much as any other regular if you flare the base like the instructions tell you.

Good luck!

http://www.ob-tampons.com/

Whenever she wants. Before my dd started her period (age 10?) I explained how to use each item and purchased a variety of these things for her to have one hand when it did start. At the time she swam competitively summers and did some swimming year round. She was also a dance who spent about 8-10 hours a week in the studio back them. So, she had to use tampons most of the time.

Anyway, I just left her with a variety of supplies. When the time came she used what she wanted and told me what she wanted me to buy again when things ran out.

Sorry to criticize, but the idea that there would be an age for a girl to decide on this issue is antiquated to me. It was a pain for me to be a competitive swimmer in the 70s with a mom who thought it bad for a girl to use tampons.

• Like 2

I used them from the very beginning because I hated the "diaper" feeling of pads.

I'd "let" my girls use them whenever they wanted, and stress that they change often.

There's nothing necessarily "adult" or "sexual" about having something in your vagina.  The only concern for me is TSS.

• Like 4

As soon as she wants to use them.....and sooner rather than later is my advice. 

When I was 17 I got my period unexpectedly on a flight home from Europe and the only thing the flight attendant had were tampons.  30 minutes in the airplane bathroom trying to figure things out.  AND I was wearing a white skirt.  AND there were 5 more hours on the plane. 

I still have nightmares.

The question concerns me. Not saying this to the OP but to the general 'you'. If you have a reason to be uncomfortable with tampons that isn't health related, you need to sit and have a long, hard think about your antiquated notions about women and their bodies.

• Like 10

I am baffled by the "tampons aren't for young girls" thought process.  Kids deserve to be comfortable too.

of course they do. However, it really depends on the kid, whether they are able to manage this. I have some kids who are totally flaky and could see them completely "forgetting" about it.

My logic is only concerned with health.

I have a 13 yo who "forgets" about the eczema caused by milk products, even though she has soymilk right in the fridge.

:)

• Like 2

My mom forgot about a tampon but she didn't get sick. She would prob kill me if she knew I was telling anyone. She says is is easier to forget than you might think.

If I had a daughter I would get her a menstrual cup ASAP. It catches the blood, it doesn't absorb the blood, so the risk of TSS is highly reduced.

• Like 3

When she is mature enough to use them properly.  I think for most girls, that would be as soon as she has had one or two periods.

I started my period at 13 and started using tampons on maybe my 2nd or 3rd cycle.

If my kid started menstruating very young, I might be reluctant.  It would depend on the child.

• Like 2

Regarding "only for married women," I had an adult woman (from another country) tell me that she believed tampons could not be used by virgins.  I was flabbergasted.  :p

I did start with what were called "slim" tampons in those days.

I know some people who could not use tampons until they were older, or at all, because it was too difficult / painful for them.  Everyone is different.  I sure wouldn't force it, but I would offer it as a possibility to try.

Well, I'd encourage them to use a menstrual cup instead of a tampon because with cats I'm big on not throwing bloody things into the trash (how many times as a kid did we find the cat had a new toy? I shudder to think!), they already sneak into the garbage more than I like, like little furry ninjas. Also, TSS. Sometime prior to them using tampons I'd want to go over why you really must be diligent about changing those.

Regardless, the answer is "whenever they want to do it". It's their bodies. However they want to deal with menstruation, that's their business, not mine. I don't need to be looped in on all their hygiene decisions, and I certainly don't want to be. Obviously the first time you get your period you benefit from somebody who's been there walking you through the choices, but I don't need to know what they actually choose long term! Give 'em the options and let them do the deciding is my motto.

• Like 1

If you are on the city sewer system, they are flushable, unlike disposable pads.  Which is indeed a plus if you have pets who like to dig in the garbage.  :P  I know someone who has a horror story about that happening at her boyfriend's shared apartment.  :P  I will spare her the publicity.

• Like 1