Menu

Educational Philosophy Questionnaire

Embassy

I'm attempting to tweak a new quiz that I recently put together about homeschool philosophies.  Based on some early questionnaires, I'm not sure if the classical philosophy is represented accurately.  If you are very classical in your approach, please let me know if this questionnaire reveals your highest score to be classical education.  You can find the quiz here:  http://eclectic-homeschool.com/what-kind-of-homeschooler-are-you/

I took the quiz twice--once answering according to my honest opinions, and once trying to answer based as much as possible on what I believe SWB seems to indicate in TWTM. Of course, I had to infer and guess on some of them, but I tried to put on my "hardline classical" hat when taking the quiz the second time. :)

The first time, my scores were as follows:

Score for Charlotte Mason Education: 20
Score for Waldorf Education: 0
Score for Traditional Education: 3
Score for Unit Studies Education: 9
Score for Montessori Education: 11
Score for Thomas Jefferson Education: -2

Score for Unschooling: 4
Score for Classical Education: 19

I think this is fairly accurate for me. I do consider myself more of a WTM classical than CM, but I also recognize that there don't seem to be a whole lot of important differences between the two. They seem to agree on the things I find most important.

When I took the quiz the second time, trying to channel my inner Classical Educator (yes, those capital letters are deliberate ;) ), these were my scores:

Score for Waldorf Education: 2
Score for Traditional Education: 0
Score for Unit Studies Education: 12
Score for Montessori Education: 7
Score for Thomas Jefferson Education: 5

Score for Unschooling: 2
Score for Classical Education: 25

Again, I think fairly accurate for what I was aiming for.

Here are mine:  I think they're fairly accurate -- guess I won't be using Thomas Jefferson or A Beka any time soon.  :>

Score for Waldorf Education: 19
Score for Traditional Education: -17
Score for Unit Studies Education: 11
Score for Montessori Education: 19
Score for Thomas Jefferson Education: 0
Score for Unschooling: 16
Score for Classical Education: 11

• Like 1

I took the quiz twice--once answering according to my honest opinions, and once trying to answer based as much as possible on what I believe SWB seems to indicate in TWTM. Of course, I had to infer and guess on some of them, but I tried to put on my "hardline classical" hat when taking the quiz the second time. :)

The first time, my scores were as follows:

Score for Waldorf Education: 0

Score for Traditional Education: 3

Score for Thomas Jefferson Education: -2

I think this is fairly accurate for me. I do consider myself more of a WTM classical than CM, but I also recognize that there don't seem to be a whole lot of important differences between the two. They seem to agree on the things I find most important.

When I took the quiz the second time, trying to channel my inner Classical Educator (yes, those capital letters are deliberate ;) ), these were my scores:

Score for Waldorf Education: 2

Score for Traditional Education: 0

Score for Montessori Education: 7

Score for Unschooling: 2

Again, I think fairly accurate for what I was aiming for.

Awesome!  Thank you!

Score for Charlotte Mason Education: 0

Score for Waldorf Education: 6

Score for Traditional Education: -9

Score for Unit Studies Education: 6

Score for Unschooling: 0

Score for Classical Education: 14

Now I'm wondering how you're defining the "traditional" education that I'm apparently very opposed to. That's the part of the result that surprised me.

The questions related to traditional education were:

Being able to transition back into a classroom is important.

Having a teacher's guide is essential.

I want to use curriculum that is similar to what is used in public or private schools.

I prefer to purchase grade-level curriculum packages that are planned out for me.

Our learning environment looks like a mini-classroom.

I love taking quizzes. ;)

Here are my results:

Score for Waldorf Education: 4 
Score for Traditional Education: -8 
Score for Montessori Education: 14 

Score for Unschooling: 8 
Score for Classical Education: 16 

I think of myself as mostly tending toward classical with a bit of child-led thrown in there, so it seems pretty accurate for me.  I'm amused by my negative score on traditional education though, as I taught in a private school for 9 years and do use A Beka for early phonics/reading instruction. :)

• Like 1

A slightly different comment, but I wondered about the question on short, focused lessons - I assume, perhaps wrongly, that was meant to be a positive for CM.  I am not sure, if that was the case, that it is entirely accurate, as the goal with CM is that students will be able to concentrate in a focused way for long periods of time.

• Like 1

Score for Waldorf Education: 3 
Score for Traditional Education: -10 
Score for Unit Studies Education: 13 
Score for Montessori Education: 15 
Score for Thomas Jefferson Education: -3 

Score for Unschooling: 11 

This is pretty accurate for me with the exception of the unschooling score.  I would have predicted it would be lower.  My guess is that there are some hidden or ambiguous unschooling-weighted questions.  Otherwise, the results cracked me up because they do represent my philosophy pretty well.

• Like 1

This is my score.

Score for Waldorf Education: 19

Score for Traditional Education: -14

Score for Montessori Education: 23

Score for Thomas Jefferson Education: 8

I laughed so hard because it really nailed me, and maybe that's why I have found it hard to have an overall philosophy. I know I'm not a fan of traditional education, but I see some positives to unit studies and unschooling, just not quite enough for them to really work for my family. Don't really know a lot about TJ Education. But I like a lot of elements from Classical, CM, Montessori, and Waldorf (yes, aspects of both Waldorf and Montessori appeal heavily to me), so the quiz really did hit me well in my ideals, even if in reality, we aren't all of those things most days. :)

• Like 1

Score for Waldorf Education: -3
Score for Unit Studies Education: 3
Score for Thomas Jefferson Education: 6

Score for Unschooling: 3
Score for Classical Education: 12

Don't know much about half these categories to be honest. 

• Like 2

Wow. That's a pretty good quiz, Embassy!

Here are my scores, re-ordered from highest to lowest. The top results are pretty darn accurate although I'd have said a bit lower for Waldorf and a bit higher for unschooling. And I'm definitely far more opposed to Tjed than to unit studies or traditional ed.  :)

Your Results:

Score for Waldorf Education: 15

Score for Unit Studies Education: -3
Score for Traditional Education: -15

• Like 1

Here's mine...

Score for Montessori Education: 9 

Score for Unschooling: 14 
Score for Classical Education: 9 

I'm not highly classical... I think this represents me reasonably. I'm not surprised I got CM as the highest and that I got unit studies and unschooling sort of high. The only thing I would disagree with is that I feel I should have a negative number for Waldorf because I loathe Waldorf as an educational philosophy.

• Like 1

I got Montessori 19, Classical 17, and Unschooling 8.  All others were far, far behind.  Interesting. 

I didn't expect unschooling.  Montessori is not a big surprise.  I have a 7yo and a 3yo.  I'm in the preschool world, here.

While I don't really need a label, I thought this was a good quiz because it inspires me to look into resources I didn't think were my cup of tea.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Score for Waldorf Education: 9 

Score for Traditional Education: -11 

Score for Unit Studies Education: 21 

Score for Montessori Education: 16 

Score for Unschooling: 8 

Score for Classical Education: 12 

It was interesting to take the quiz, since it made me think about my educational philosophy a bit more. I have a list of subjects for each day that I expect my son to complete, followed by chores and free time.  I am happy to ditch the list any time he wants to go off on rabbit trails, but he doesn't do that on a regular basis.

• Like 1

Here's mine...

Score for Unschooling: 14 

I'm not highly classical... I think this represents me reasonably. I'm not surprised I got CM as the highest and that I got unit studies and unschooling sort of high. The only thing I would disagree with is that I feel I should have a negative number for Waldorf because I loathe Waldorf as an educational philosophy.

I do, too, but the questions were about nature, natural materials (which I interpreted to mean beeswax for sculpture play and acorns as math counters), not about anthroposophy, etc. Possibly also some of the q's about a later start to formal lessons, although those q's only mentioned chronological age and not Steiner's ideas on developmental readiness.

Most of the questions that I think were scored Waldorf in my case were misfires; except for the "natural materials" question I was thinking CM.

• Like 2

Here are my results, which I think are reasonably accurate, mostly:

Score for Waldorf Education: 10 
Score for Traditional Education: -3 
Score for Unit Studies Education: 14 
Score for Thomas Jefferson Education: -1 

Score for Unschooling: 10 

I didn't really know much about Charlotte Mason until after we had settled into our own adapted version of "classical." However, in the intervening years, I've done some reading and I feel a definite attraction to her methods, too.

The on that puzzles me is the negative score for "traditional education." I always thought that, if we could have found the right rigorous private school that we could have afforded, my kids could have thrived in that environment. And we often borrowed ideas from information we found online about the curricula of local private schools we admired. So, I really don't think of myself as being that negative about traditional schools.

• Like 1

I liked taking it but I found some difficult to answer. I didn't stay in the quiz to keep all my results. My three highest are: Montessori, Traditional, and Classical.

I struggled with a few and chose "neither agree or disagree" on several because the answer depended on the situation. For example, the question about teacher's guides being essential was difficult. There are programs that I would find it essential while others I wouldn't.

Some of the answers would vary by child as well.  I would allow a child's passion to drive their education as long as it included a passion for all the essentials of a good education, but I wouldn't allow it if the passion was very focused in one or two subjects. 

I wasn't sure how to answer with Latin and Logic in the same question. I think Logic is important, but I don't think Latin is. 

• Like 6

I meant to add when I posted my results - I think this quiz could be really useful for someone who's new to homeschooling and trying to figure out where she should focus her attention in all the many, many options that are out there.  Even if you're unfamiliar with the names of the different philosophies, you can use this as a starting point to find out more.

• Like 5

I do, too, but the questions were about nature, natural materials (which I interpreted to mean beeswax for sculpture play and acorns as math counters), not about anthroposophy, etc. Possibly also some of the q's about a later start to formal lessons, although those q's only mentioned chronological age and not Steiner's ideas on developmental readiness.

Most of the questions that I think were scored Waldorf in my case were misfires; except for the "natural materials" question I was thinking CM.

Yes, thought the same thing. The Waldorf questions were the ones that really weren't targeted IMO. All of them - nature, delayed academics, screens, and handicrafts could all be different things. I guess if you answered Waldorfy for all of them you'd get a Waldorfy score.

• Like 3

I also got a high number for Waldorf, but at a basic level I am not in line with their philosophy.

I think those there are a lot of the externals of Waldorf - like relationship to nature, or delayed academics compared to North American norms - that I think are important.  But I often think of those more as "European".

• Like 3

I liked taking it but I found some difficult to answer. I didn't stay in the quiz to keep all my results. My three highest are: Montessori, Traditional, and Classical.

I struggled with a few and chose "neither agree or disagree" on several because the answer depended on the situation. For example, the question about teacher's guides being essential was difficult. There are programs that I would find it essential while others I wouldn't.

Some of the answers would vary by child as well.  I would allow a child's passion to drive their education as long as it included a passion for all the essentials of a good education, but I wouldn't allow it if the passion was very focused in one or two subjects. 

I wasn't sure how to answer with Latin and Logic in the same question. I think Logic is important, but I don't think Latin is. 

Ditto to the Latin and logic question and the teacher guide one. I want a TM for algebra, thank you. I don't necessarily need one for, say, history, depending on the program.

Since the Latin and logic question was clearly targeting classical types, I wonder if something else that more classical types really believe in would be better. Like "Studying history in chronological order is important." or "Formal grammar is an important subject."

• Like 5

Score for Classical Education: 20

Score for Montessori Education: 8

Score for Waldorf Education: -3

Score for Traditional Education: -7

Interesting.  I am and always have been a Sonlight user, with a classical bent.  I use the Guides as a convenience since I have so much on my "plate" but could just as easily put my own curriculum together.  I sometimes do add/subtract from SL.

No idea what Waldorf or Thomas Jefferson Education is.

I think this is a fairly accurate representation of my educational views.

• Like 1

Yes, thought the same thing. The Waldorf questions were the ones that really weren't targeted IMO. All of them - nature, delayed academics, screens, and handicrafts could all be different things. I guess if you answered Waldorfy for all of them you'd get a Waldorfy score.

I did score extremely not Waldorfy and that part is definitely accurate.

The rest, I'm not sure.  I don't really know much about stuff like Charlotte Mason.

• Like 2

I did score extremely not Waldorfy and that part is definitely accurate.

The rest, I'm not sure.  I don't really know much about stuff like Charlotte Mason.

She was also into nature. And "living books." That question was probably too buzzwordy for anyone new to homeschooling though. OP, if you're going to tweak the quiz, I'd probably change that one to something that describes living books. Maybe just "fiction and nonfiction that isn't textbooks" though that sounds awkward.

• Like 2

I had difficulties answering the questions because I found most of them weren't something I felt strongly about.  My top three were Classical (no surprise there), Montessori (eh, I tend to use Montessori resources so I guess that makes sense), and Traditional (whatever that means).  That I got zeroes on Charlotte Mason (still don't get it), Thomas Jefferson, and Unschooling doesn't surprise me.  Although, seeing the results some posters got, I think I understand why some of the things they tend to suggest in other threads fell so flat for us.  :0)

• Like 3

I answered with "neither agree or disagree" on many of them.  I just didn't know what else to say.  I either didn't have an opinion or felt like my answer was too complicated to be summed up by agree or disagree.

• Like 5

Thought you might find mine interesting. :)

Score for Waldorf Education: 9 

Not surprising coming from someone who describes herself as a Classical Trivium/CM hybrid. I also prefer a unit study format when possible because I like as much subject integration as possible.

Score for Unit Studies Education: 23

Score for Waldorf Education: 12

Score for Unschooling: 7

Score for Thomas Jefferson Education: -5
Score for Traditional Education: -10

I think some territory covered in each question was too complicated for a single question, but overall I think it's a good measure of where a homeschooler is.

• Like 1

What kind of homeschooler are you? Take this quiz to see which educational philosophies best match your homeschool.

Your Results:

Score for Waldorf Education: 21 

Score for Traditional Education: -15 

Score for Unit Studies Education: 2 

Score for Unschooling: 5

Score for Classical Education: 13 

Pretty accurate for me as well.

• Like 1

I did find yours interesting, SWB. I would love to know if yours or anyone else's had changed over the years. (I think mine would have been different when my children were younger. I was more drawn to unschooling and Waldorf pretend play and the like when I had just a couple of young children, and I am still very much like that for my littles. I very much believe in delayed academics and learning at their own pace and interests, but after a certain point, I'm also of the belief that they don't know what they don't know or will need to know, and a somewhat firmer, parent-led if need be, approach fits me better.)

I am finding it interesting where some people are very different in CM and Classical, while others are very similar.

• Like 4

Well, that was a surprise.  I think my answers may not be quite accurate because I always want to clarify my reasons, and I can't.  My views have definitely changed over the years, as I was more classical when my dc were younger and have gotten more eclectic over time.

Score for Waldorf Education: 11
Score for Traditional Education: -2
Score for Unit Studies Education: 14
Score for Montessori Education: 23
Score for Thomas Jefferson Education: 15

Score for Unschooling: 18

• Like 1

Here are my scores:

Score for Montessori Education: 12 

Score for Thomas Jefferson Education: 3 

Score for Traditional Education: -2 

FWIW, Since I'm new here, I guess I could explain how I homeschool a little bit.  My dc are 14, 12, 10, 8, 7, and 4, so I am homeschooling everything from 10th grade to preschool.  

My oldest, DS 14, is in 10th grade a year early because we homeschool year 'round and he got ahead.  He loves reading history and I basically just let him read as much of it as he wants.  This is the first year I have steered his reading at all.  We are learning about the 20th century, one decade at a time, and we are both really enjoying it.  We have "unschooled" science up until last year.  However, he doesn't like science -- at all -- and so I am now structuring his science with textbooks in order for him to have what he needs before college.  Algebra II is using a textbook.  Literature is reading and study guides of American Literature.  I am having him work through WWS I this year.  He is not a good writer and I felt that I finally needed to structure this as well.

All of this to say that we started out mostly unschooling, but in the later years it has come back to haunt us a little bit in that he is playing catch-up with the subjects he doesn't really like.  Because of this my approach with my others will be slightly different.  I think that I will begin more structure in 7th grade rather than in 9th or 10th.

We have always used math textbooks and we use language workbooks through 6th grade.  Most of my kids read voraciously.  

The littlest one wants to do "homestool" w/ the others.  We tried a workbook -- tracing letters, etc. -- but she still isn't ready.  Everything looks like a lopsided oval. :)  My current approach is paper, crayons, and a glue stick.   :)

OK, long enough post.

Junie 

ETA:  Thanks for the survey!!

• Like 1

I, too, found some of the questions difficult to answer depending on what ages we're talking about. Some of the questions explicitly stated elementary or younger, but others were more ambiguous. For instance, I definitely teach my youngers; however, though I teach my teen, I also try to facilitate his learning. Too, some subjects (math, languages, how to write an essay) require more explicit teaching for most kids.

I scored highest on Classical (23). The next highest was Montessori (4) and Waldorf (3). I had a number of negative scores as well.

• Like 3

Charlotte Mason: 0

Waldorf: 0

Traditional: -23

Unit Studies: 9

Montessori: 8

T.J.: 1

Unschooling: 3

Classical: 18

Many of the questions were about things that I have no strong opinion about, but you sure can tell that I am not a fan of traditional schooling, can't you?

Me too.  I had a minus 20 on traditional education.  I came down heavy on CM and classical, which is right on the nose.  A lot of the answers to the questions though change depending on if I was thinking back to when my kids were elementary vs. now in high school.  

• Like 3

Unit studies are harder to peg.  I use unit studies as a format along with living books to cover the content and scope of Classical Education whenever possible, so the Classical Education is primary and unit studies and living books are secondary.  I have a very strong preference for them in that way, but there are people who use unit studies as a primary approach based on the interest of parent or child, so 2 approaches to unit studies can be very different.  I'm not sure how that could be differentiated in a quiz like this or if it even needs to be.

Latin and Logic (by that I assume the quiz meant formal logic and not "critical thinking skills") don't necessarily go together. Some people do Latin and Greek word roots and focus on a modern language instead while still doing formal logic.

I think it would be interesting to have people divide up subjects that are skills based and content based and see if their approaches differ, but that's an entirely different quiz.

• Like 1

OK - that was an education!  Dd13 took the quiz.  She is CM all the way.  She came out with negative scores for everything else including classical - which explains why I've gone more and more CM with her because I was hitting my head against a brick wall with her on the clearly classical stuff.  

Ds17 is taking it now.  My prediction is that he will come out more on the classical side but we'll see if I am right.

ETA - Ds came out classical all the way and 0 for CM!  Which explains why what worked with ds did not work with dd and vice versa.  

• Like 7

I find myself very CM-influenced, and yet I scored a 0 for CM lol. This quiz felt a bit odd. And I don't think the results really are accurate for our family.

There's no way I am more unschooly than CM or Classical. I think some of the questions were difficult to answer, and I agree with those who've mentioned Waldorf. I don't find any of the questions that I assumed were targeting Waldorf, actually addressed their basic Steiner philosophy, which kind of skews the result, IMO. I answered things thinking "CM" and scored fairly high on Waldorf which is a philosophy I don't really align with at all in real life. I mean, we're planning to use OM next year, but we want NOTHING to do with the Steiner method itself. I can not get behind some of his "spiritual belief" stuff. 

Anyway, as a quiz it was a bit tricky to answer, probably because I am decidedly ecclectic in my homeschooling lol. I tended to answer mostly the "inbetween" answers like "somewhat disagree" and "somewhat agree". 

Score for Waldorf Education: 13 
Score for Traditional Education: -12 
Score for Unit Studies Education: 0 
Score for Thomas Jefferson Education: 16 

Score for Unschooling: 19 

• Like 1

My scores were

Charlotte 20

Waldorf 15

Traditional 6

Unit study 6

Montessori 21

TJ Ed 9

Unschooling 7

Classical 12

They do reflect my teaching fairly accurately if you look at my history of homeschooling as a whole. Especially the elementary - middle school period, but if I were to retake the test thinking solely of my two college bound high schoolers (their plans...not forced) I suspect it would look more classical/traditional as we have shifted to mostly online classes which use Literature and/or textbooks. I'm trying to prepare them for the workload and culture of college ie. Papers, tests/finals, projects. Directed learning. I miss the elementary learning days :) but I love not being the main teacher for my older two. Especially number 2. We have a happier harmonious family now that I am a lot more mom and a lot less teacher

• Like 1

I like my scores.  I think they're pretty accurate.

Score for Waldorf Education: 6 

Score for Unit Studies Education: 0 
Score for Thomas Jefferson Education: 2 

• Like 1

The targeted Waldorf questions were:

Children should spend plenty of time in nature and use natural materials in education.

Early childhood should emphasize creative play and formal learning should be avoided before age 7.

Social responsibility and empathy are important in my children's education.

Self-expression through art, music, role-playing, and movement is an important part of education.

Avoiding screens for children who are elementary age or younger is important.

If anyone feels these are incorrect, please share.  I'm not familiar with Waldorf so I compiled this list from reading about the approach.

:iagree:

I couldn;t get my scores- some kind of error.  Maybe it was because I answered "neither agree nor disagree" for the overwhelming majority of the questions.

But my kids are much older- 10th & 8th grade. I would have answered very differently when I had a preschooler, 1st grader, and a 5th grader all together.

• Like 1

Here are my scores:

Score for Waldorf Education: 11
Score for Traditional Education: -16
Score for Montessori Education: 17

I was surprised that my Waldorf and CM scores were so high.  I guess valuing nature and living books influenced those scores.   I know enough about Waldorf in practice to know that it would not have been a good fit for our family.  I don't know enough about CM ... every time I looked into it, there were just too many books I was supposed to read for me to understand it.  Instead, I gravitated to Growing Without Schooling and TWTM - somewhat diametrically opposed but both touched me.  I have no use for TJE,   I just called myself eclectic. 

• Like 1

I consider myself to be more of a classical educator and answered according to how we run our show here.  Here are my scores:

Score for Waldorf Education: 14
Score for Traditional Education: -16
Score for Unit Studies Education: 3
Score for Montessori Education: 17
Score for Thomas Jefferson Education: 3

Score for Unschooling: -1
Score for Classical Education: 23

I guess I really don't like the very ends of the traditional school or unschooling spectrum, LOL!

• Like 1