Menu

Is this normal? I don't think this is normal...

Gil

One of my sons cat is very "talkative" he walks around "talking" to us. If we are sitting in a room, he'll come in and within several minutes hw will begin "talking" . He will go from person to person, sit and "chatter" or "meow" and then go to the next person, and the next person. He walks up and down the hall way "chattering" at night and that is super annoying. This cat is not hungry, he's not sick. He's fixed. The vet said he's fine, just "talkative".

I do my best to ignore him, but he will follow Buddy or Pal around and "chatter" constantly. Buddy and Pal follow me around so needless to say this cat is always underfoot and "chattering." Its bad enough that Buddy talks all the time, but this cat...it is getting on my nerve, to put it nicely.

If you pet him or indulge him he just makes a happy chattering sound for a few minutes but eventually relaxes, the moment you stop paying him attention you can start the countdown because he will start back to chattering. He wakes up and "talks" in the middle of the night. Whether he's yowling, meowing, grumbling, snuffling, chittering or anything in between.

I don't think this is normal cat behavior--none of his litter mates do this. No other cat I've ever seen does this. Is there any way to get him to stop besides playing with him every single time he demands attention?

I've had cats like that; one of my current ones is almost to that point.

And that's really the only helpful thing I have to contribute to this conversation :)

LOL - love the kitty!  He sounds adorable!  :001_wub:

Truly though, sometimes cats that are really needy as kittens mellow out as they age a little bit.  One of our cats was always within inches of me all day every day the first year we had him.  Now he's WAY more mellow. 

• Like 5

I had a cat that did that, and a few others that didn't. It's a bit... odd... but nothing worrisome.

Especially for a magical wizard cat.

How old is he? If he's anywhere close to being a senior, I'd have him checked for hyperthyroidism, which is extremely common in older cats. I had a cat once who seemed to be bossy, and he turned out to have an overactive thyroid. He calmed down some (though not entirely; some was just his personality) once he started medication.

• Like 3

Ours chatters regularly, sometimes enough to be annoying, but it isn't frequent or constant like you're describing. It usually means, "I want out. Maybe. Yes, I definitely want to go out. Wait. Maybe not. Maybe. Don't close the door. I haven't decided yet!"

• Like 4

The boys say he is almost a year old. He has always been the loudmouth of the group but this is ridiculous. Why--oh why did we have t lose the calm and quiet cat?!

This cat is so friggin annoying. He comes in my room or to my door at night and keeps a running commentary as I try to sleep. If it starts raining he will run home and sit outside the door whining and yelling to come in rather than wait outside under the car or something. And once we let him in he talks constantly...*grr*

I really hope he outgrows this soon or were going to have to rehome him.

Some cats are like that. It's more common in certain breeds (like Siamese) than others (like Persians), but personalities within a breed do vary, and with randombred cats, anything goes!

At a year of age, I wouldn't expect your cat to outgrow this.

Yes. Is he Siamese? They are very chatty!

Siamese are particularly chatty. I had a cat the was part Siamese and everyone commented how much she meowed and how she was dog-like in demands for attention. She even came when I whistled for her. :( When I had dd she would meow plaintively whenever I gave her a bath and would not stop until the she was out of the water. Even when Dd was a toddler the cat strongly disapproved of how I bathed her. :lol:

• Like 7

If he's part siamese, he may have gotten part of that gene. I have a half-siamese who doesn't look Siamese at all in coloration (if I didn't know who her mother was, I would never even think about her being part Siamese, but I was there when she was born, so I KNOW who her mom was!) who seems to have mostly inherited the voice (that and being a really, really small cat).

• Like 4

One of my sons cat is very "talkative" he walks around "talking" to us. If we are sitting in a room, he'll come in and within several minutes hw will begin "talking" . He will go from person to person, sit and "chatter" or "meow" and then go to the next person, and the next person. He walks up and down the hall way "chattering" at night and that is super annoying. This cat is not hungry, he's not sick. He's fixed. The vet said he's fine, just "talkative".

I do my best to ignore him, but he will follow Buddy or Pal around and "chatter" constantly. Buddy and Pal follow me around so needless to say this cat is always underfoot and "chattering." Its bad enough that Buddy talks all the time, but this cat...it is getting on my nerve, to put it nicely.

If you pet him or indulge him he just makes a happy chattering sound for a few minutes but eventually relaxes, the moment you stop paying him attention you can start the countdown because he will start back to chattering. He wakes up and "talks" in the middle of the night. Whether he's yowling, meowing, grumbling, snuffling, chittering or anything in between.

I don't think this is normal cat behavior--none of his litter mates do this. No other cat I've ever seen does this. Is there any way to get him to stop besides playing with him every single time he demands attention?

Oh good heavens! I read too fast and thought you were asking if your SON'S chattiness was normal and I was nodding along thinking 'yes, normal' until I go to the part where you said "meow".  :lol:

Now that that is out of the way, I agree with others---- Siamese cats are 'talkers', often times to the extreme. I once had a cat who was part Siamese and the only visible signs were her beautiful teal-colored eyes and a slight elongation of her chin. She was very, very vocal, and very dog-like. She was a gem.

As far as I know (I have been around cats for, uh, oh my.... more than 40 years), there is no way to hush a cat. Sorry. It may get better as she ages.... my cats have all settled down over the years and are quite mellow until they get a 'wild hair' and think they are kittens again. A one-year old cat is still young.

Can you post a photo of "Chatty Catty?" I'm really thinking there is Siamese in there based on your stories. Cat photos are awesome. :thumbup1:

ETA: I see Jasperstone also missed the part about this being a cat. I am on a laptop, though, so I really have no excuse.

• Like 5

Lol... I'm at the park and on my phone, and I missed the part (due to glare) of it being a cat! So I was picturing your son talking and meowing down the hall at night!

Thinking. ..no...no... totally *not* normal. ;-)

I did this, too, but I'm on my laptop. At least you had an excuse!!  :blushing: 

• Like 3

I don't even like the cats, they are just the boys pets because apparently it takes more intestinal fortitude to get rid of animals that your spawn love but you do not want, than I happen to have on hand, so oh well, the cats stay.

As for this Chatty Cat--he is one of 4 cats, the boys do play with him every day, he spends hours outside every day and there are other cats in the area--he's not exactly starved for interaction or stimulation.

Re: putting him in another room so that we can sleep--We have a small house with thin walls. Heck, if I put him out of the house he is only slightly more likely to just go roaming as he is to do any of the following

a) pace beneath the windows and yowl or call repeatedly

b) go onto the roof and get into the attic crawlspace--where he bounces around like a crack fiend jonsing for a high for several minutes before he settles directly over the boys bedroom and "talks" for an hour or two.

Of course it doesn't help that often times Buddy will spend several minutes yowling and meowing back to the cat. I have told Buddy repeatedly NOT to engage the cat that way as it only seems to encourage him. I have told both Boy and Cat to shut up and cut it out, but neither one is very obedient on that front...

This cats talking is just so obnoxious--the boys think he's great, of course, but many times I can't stand him. When he's not talking then he's fine, I don't even mind his playfulness or the time he threw up in the doorway and I had to clean it up, but he just can not seem to keep his mouth shut. Did I mention he purrs like a Harley? Because he does. Everything about this cat is just loud and its....uh, NOT charming.

Some cats are like that. It's more common in certain breeds (like Siamese) than others (like Persians), but personalities within a breed do vary, and with randombred cats, anything goes!

At a year of age, I wouldn't expect your cat to outgrow this.

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:  WAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!! Say it isn't so? Somebody--anybody--please tell me that he can still outgrow this.

He's handsome :) We had a tom kitten like that once but he mellowed some as he got older. I would trip over him constantly because he was always trying to rub on my legs and follow me, weaving in and out and doing his happy growl purrs or whatever it was. He was one of my favorite cats. Dh called him a dog because he acted like a dog more than a cat. I would go get him checked out by the vet though just in case.

• Like 1

Post some youtube videos, hope they go viral, cat becomes a star, and makes millions $$.

Then buy a bigger house and the cat can have his own room. :lol:

Grumpy Cat is old news -- soon it will be all about Noisy Cat!!!

Go buy a video camera, Gil, and start filming. :D

• Like 2

We used to have a talkative cat. He would come into a room and meow. If you meowed back, then he would meow. It could go on for a long time and it was usually one of us humans who gave up. He would meow as he walked down the hall, meow while you were getting his dinner, and meow if he was being ignored. 

Yes it could get annoying, but now that he's gone I miss him and his incessant meowing. :(

• Like 1

I had a cat that did that.  Her favorite activity was to yowl in the stairwell where the sound echoed loudly throughout the whole house.  At night we had to close her in the laundry room in the basement and also close the door at the top of the stairs to minimize the sound if she started talking while we were sleeping. 

We used to have a talkative cat. He would come into a room and meow. If you meowed back, then he would meow. It could go on for a long time and it was usually one of us humans who gave up. He would meow as he walked down the hall, meow while you were getting his dinner, and meow if he was being ignored. 

Yes it could get annoying, but now that he's gone I miss him and his incessant meowing. :(

Ditto. :( We had one like that. He would get louder at night if a door stood between him and his people. We finally just started letting him into the bedroom at night so we could sleep. If you looked at him he meowed. If it was dinner time, he meowed. But he was the sweetest, cuddliest cat I have ever had. I didn't think we could miss that, but once he was gone, we missed it a lot.

:( When I had dd she would meow plaintively whenever I gave her a bath and would not stop until the she was out of the water.

And this is why we should read the entire response and not just glance at it before moving on.  Also, why we should be clear that our pronouns refer to an appropriately clear noun. :leaving:

• Like 4