Menu

Artificial sweeteners

Night Elf

Well. I use Splenda and/or Aspartame. Honestly, I fell that if I am giving up sugar and starches (which I am ) and doing the low carb thing (which I am) , then I am not going to drive myself crazy about artificial sweetener use.   

Now, I tried Stevia once and it tasted awful. I am considering trying it again maybe in a different form like a liquid. 

I have given up so much that I refuse to use yucky sweeteners. 

• Like 1

Well. I use Splenda and/or Aspartame. Honestly, I fell that if I am giving up sugar and starches (which I am ) and doing the low carb thing (which I am) , then I am not going to drive myself crazy about artificial sweetener use.   

Now, I tried Stevia once and it tasted awful. I am considering trying it again maybe in a different form like a liquid. 

I have given up so much that I refuse to use yucky sweeteners. 

Same here, except I'm not ever giving up on sugar and starches (the healthy carb kind).  Trying to cut back a little yes,  But giving up -- never.

We use Splenda.  I found Stevia to be totally vile tasting, and I've never had that happen with any of the artificial sweeteners.

• Like 2

Stevia, if you don't mind a bit of a licorice aftertaste. (DH gave stevia a good long trial in tea and couldn't get used to it; he detests all forms of licorice, though.). I use the flavored stevia in my coffee, plain liquid stevia or plain powdered stevia in lemonade, and I like it fine, but I also like licorice.

Stevia isn't actually artificial, it is merely high potency.

ETA -- not sure if the "artificial" in the thread title is meant to focus on that or not, though.

I used the word artificial to mean anything that would replace sugar. That's the only term I've ever heard. I've never tried Stevia.

I use Splenda and avoid Aspartame.  Except most diet sodas have Aspartame so that's a tough one to avoid if I want a diet soda once in awhile.  I'll drink a diet soda any day with aspartame over a full sugar soda. 

You'll get 1000 different opinions about this one as well. 

Yeah, different answers. I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. I feel like I use such a little amount that it won't matter which one I use. I just heard that Splenda is worse than anything else but I don't remember where I heard that. It might have even been on this board.

• Like 1

Stevia, if you don't mind a bit of a licorice aftertaste. (DH gave stevia a good long trial in tea and couldn't get used to it; he detests all forms of licorice, though.). I use the flavored stevia in my coffee, plain liquid stevia or plain powdered stevia in lemonade, and I like it fine, but I also like licorice.

I found liquid Stevia to work better in my coffee than powdered because for me the powdered had a strong aftertaste that was not noticeable with the liquid.

• Like 1

I know that I cannot use them. They all give me horrible joint pain. As a result, I did not allow my chidren anywhere near them. I know they are not safe for me; I figure I am human and similar (though not as intense) results probably are occuring with most everyone else.

Interestingly, my dd is choosing to do a study on them (on offspring when used during gestation) for her research project next year.

I use honey or sugar in the raw if I am sweetening tea.

I stay away from splenda/sweet and lo/aspartame.

Once, a friend gave me a box of splenda because my husband uses it sometimes. I forgot about and left in my garage for months. The mice didn't touch it. That made me think maybe I shouldn't either.

• Like 4

Splenda is fine. It's far, far healthier in my opinion to use a little Splenda than to use sugar. Two teaspoons a day is certainly nothing to worry about. Stevia does not taste as good to me, but some people really like it.

• Like 4

I won't use stevia anymore--I am perimenopausal, and skipping periods. If I use stevia, my period comes back. It may totally be a coincidence, but I have heard stevia is a hormone-disruptor.

I use monk fruit. Unfortunately, the brand I use mixes it with a little sugar. It is less sugar than I'd use otherwise, though, so it's the best option I've got at the moment.

Stevia/stevia blends, xylitol, erythritol are all plant-based (i.e., natural, in spite of their chemical-sounding names) replacements for refined white sugar.

I buy erythritol from Trim Healthy Mamas. I have bought the THM Sweet Blend, which is a blend of stevia and erythritol, but I haven't learned to ignore the stevia taste, so I'm going back to erythritol.

Xylitol can be made from either birch or corn. The major caveat for xylitol is that it is poisonous to pets.

The major caveat for xylitol is that it is poisonous to pets.

Another major caveat for xylitol (and sorbitol, and all other sugar alcohols) is that they act as a strong laxative in some people.  If I eat even one tiny sugar-free mint, I'm running to the bathroom.

This doesn't happen to everyone.  But, if you're one of the un-lucky ones, be aware.

• Like 3

Another major caveat for xylitol (and sorbitol, and all other sugar alcohols) is that they act as a strong laxative in some people.  If I eat even one tiny sugar-free mint, I'm running to the bathroom.

This doesn't happen to everyone.  But, if you're one of the un-lucky ones, be aware.

Xylitol seems to bother me a little, but erythritol does not. :-)

nope. 

I refuse to use artificial sweeteners of any kind.  

I don't use aspartame (Sweet 'n' Low) or sucralose (Splenda). Happily, I did find xylitol and erythritol, which are not artificial sweeteners any more than honey is, in spite of their chemical-sounding names. :-)

• Like 1

Given the current body of research, I am absolutely comfortable using normal serving sizes of any number of low GI and low to no calorie sweeteners, including stevia, xylitol, erythritol, sucralose, aspartame, saccharine, etc.

Unless you're diabetic, I can't see how using a small amount of real sugar to enjoy your morning coffee is worse than using Aspartame. Buy real sugar without bleaching etc., and enjoy it. 

My dh convinced me years ago to try coffee without sugar, I finally did, and coffee tastes better without sugar now. On the other hand, if I wanted to add a little sugar to my coffee, I would. It's not a tiny amount in coffee that it is the problem, it's that sugar is added to everything. If you're limiting or eliminating processed foods, I wouldn't worry about that cup of coffee.  Same as I wouldn't worry about the occasional croissant with coffee.

• Like 5

I guess I would probably ask myself how I felt after my usual cup of coffee with real sugar in it, then I would look at the impact of the 30 calories of sugar on my overall carb consumption if that was a concern for me.

I don't do sugar in my coffee, but I do like my half and half. I have learned through long years of dietary trial and error, error, error, that a small, well-thought sin can keep me from inflicting far greater damage on myself. Instead of drinking the contents of my french press with as much half and half as I desire, I've "settled" for one perfect cup of coffee with x number of tbsps of half and half in it. I make sure that I am sitting down and enjoying that cup without distractions. I've tried a different roast and milk in my coffee, blah!

As long as your sugared coffee doesn't prompt you to go eat 12 donuts, why not just plan for it in your day and enjoy it. Remember it's about making choices you can live with. If I had sugar in my coffee, I 'd probably just make sure I was drinking it alongside something with protein in it.

• Like 7

I used the word artificial to mean anything that would replace sugar. That's the only term I've ever heard. I've never tried Stevia.

Then if you are not committed to artificial, I'd give stevia a try. Different brands have very different flavors. All are extremely sweet--just a pinch goes a long way.

My favorite is Sweet Leaf organic stevia extract. I got a pinch size spoon for it.

It took a little while to develop a taste for it, and for a few things I still will use sugar or honey, but I got used to it in hot cocoa, coffee, herb teas, lemonade and some baking.

Yes, the sugar alcohols cause bloating for me.  :(  Sad, because it was a good choice for me otherwise!

Polyols don't bother me much, especially xylitol. With the tin of Orange Cream Ice Chips here, this is a bad thing for the sake of limiting servings.

/no self control.

I would not use an artificial sweetener rather than sugar, I would just use less sugar.  For 2 tsp a day, I would not be worried - that is not much sugar.

I would have made an exception for a diabetic, but IIRC there was some research that came out recently suggesting that some artificial sweeteners can actually affect the body in a way that means it is less able to process sugars than it was before - it seems to affect the micro-organisms in the gut.  Anyway, I didn't look any farther into it because it doesn't really matter to me, but it might be something to think about for a diabetic.

• Like 4

If the only time you're using a sweetener is for your daily cup of coffee, then unless you're following your doctor's advice - in which case, follow it - it probably doesn't matter what you use. (I'm assuming you don't have a bad effect from any particular sweetener. Obviously, if $SWEETENER gives you migraines or hives or something, it does matter, but I hope you don't need me to tell you that.)

• Like 3

I use stevia (low calorie but not artificial). I went with one that was organic and didn't have much in the way of 'extras' going by the ingredient list. I don't find any aftertaste when used in coffee. It's a powder and I use less than the equivalent of sugar - 1/2 to 1/4.

I would not use an artificial sweetener rather than sugar, I would just use less sugar.  For 2 tsp a day, I would not be worried - that is not much sugar.

I use 1 tsp of Splenda in a cup of coffee and have two cups of coffee a day. If I use regular sugar, I have to use more, like 4 teaspoons to make it as sweet as when I just add 1 tsp of Splenda. I'm on Weight Watchers and 4 tsp of sugar is 2 pts. which is way more than I'm willing to add into my cup of coffee that is already 2 pts. because of the half and half and heavy whipping cream I use. 4 pts. for one cup of coffee is crazy for me. It's just not doable.

Another major caveat for xylitol (and sorbitol, and all other sugar alcohols) is that they act as a strong laxative in some people. If I eat even one tiny sugar-free mint, I'm running to the bathroom.

This doesn't happen to everyone. But, if you're one of the un-lucky ones, be aware.

Yes! I bought my little girls a package of mints to eat while Grandma watched them during big brother's First Communion. That did not work out so well for Grandma.

• Like 1

That is funny, because for me they are a very strong ... ahem ... anti-laxative. I spent an incredibly miserable 4 days after finding that out. 

Yes! I bought my little girls a package of mints to eat while Grandma watched them during big brother's First Communion. That did not work out so well for Grandma.

That is funny, because for me they are a very strong ... ahem ... anti-laxative. I spent an incredibly miserable 4 days after finding that out. 

Interesting!  Poor Grandma!  And, kiana, at least you know!  I guess the lesson learned on all counts is to be aware of what we put in our bodies.  Even tiny little things can cause big problems!

1. If you are using a small amount - 2 teaspoons - I don't think sugar would harm you. There are unrefined types of sugar.

2. If you use more in baking, etc. you can try "Rapadura" or Organic Whole Cane Sugar like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Rapunzel-Organic-Whole-Sugar-Ounce/dp/B0046HEPRM

It's unrefined and unbleached yet nothing artificial about it. I use a teaspoon in my coffee every morning and I use it for baking. The ratio is 1: 1. No appreciable taste difference compared to white sugar (at least I cannot discern any).

I am not touching aspartame or splenda - but that's just me. I am a little vigilant about these things...  :)