Menu

Laura Ingalls Wilder fans, who has read Pioneer Girl?

Runningmom80

I read the introduction then skimmed the rest. The notes about how stories were changed to make them more kid friendly or interesting were fun to read.

My favorite part was a map of my hometown from the late 1800's. All the streets had actual names instead of numbers like they do today. The home of one of the prominent families in town was marked, I've walked by house many times but had no idea how long it had been there. That particular family is still prominent in the area, I thought their legacy had begun the generation before my parents, I had no idea it was so much longer than that.

I don't think it would work very well as an ebook but that could be because I have an old school Kindle.

I read the introduction then skimmed the rest. The notes about how stories were changed to make them more kid friendly or interesting were fun to read.

My favorite part was a map of my hometown from the late 1800's. All the streets had actual names instead of numbers like they do today. The home of one of the prominent families in town was marked, I've walked by house many times but had no idea how long it had been there. That particular family is still prominent in the area, I thought their legacy had begun the generation before my parents, I had no idea it was so much longer than that.

I don't think it would work very well as an ebook but that could be because I have an old school Kindle.

Yeah, some books don't make great ebooks, but it's better than nothing.  With good editing (which is rare in ebookdom) and a tablet, I think it could work.

I would buy the e book, I'm number 34 on the library hold list :(

I am 2 of 17. 

I might order it if the price goes down.  I just replaced my lasagna pan and broken camera, plus indulged in several paperbacks (used) of my favorite mystery author, so trying not to buy EVERYTHING  I want from Amazon ;-)

I'm reading it now, and really enjoying it. It's a fairly slow read because the notes are EVERYTHING and it takes some time to absorb them all. One page of LIW's manuscript can easily have three pages of notes. But it's fascinating!

The copy I have is a library copy and I probably won't finish before it's due.  Back in line to get it again...

• Like 1

Number 92.  And that may take a while because most of the libraries in our system do only local reserves.  Our library is one of the few "generous" libraries, so it may take a really long time.  I have considered buying it.  I haven't bought a book for myself in a LONG time.

At least those of you waiting on the library hold have numbers. I still don't have a number even though the book is listed in the system and I placed a hold as soon as I'd read the other thread that the book was out. I'm starting to wonder if our library even has its copies yet or if they're on backorder. They tend to be a bit behind on getting new books into circulation. :glare:

I just looked up my library account and I am now #2! You can check out books for 3 weeks and it lists the book as being on the hold shelf. I am optimistically thinking the #1 person in line will pick up the book this weekend and I will get notified in three weeks.

• Like 1

My library has "lucky day" books. When they have new or popular books they will label some with a clover and these copies cannot be requested or renewed. You can go into the physical library and this copy would be on the shelf and it is your lucky day!

That being said, I'm still #72 on the wait list.

• Like 3

My library has "lucky day" books. When they have new or popular books they will label some with a clover and these copies cannot be requested or renewed. You can go into the physical library and this copy would be on the shelf and it is your lucky day!

That being said, I'm still #72 on the wait list.

Our library used to do that and I thought it was a great idea. When we first moved here, they had what I thought was an even better program- hot new releases were $1 a week to check out! The librarians said they earned enough off some new releases to buy a couple new books.  It was $1 for up to 7 days, so hot novels that people read in a few days could be checked out by another person, and the library made $2-3 a week on a copy. That seems like a small amount but it adds up, and really helped their budget. 

But alas, enough people complained so they ended the program, and now we have such a wait list for hot books...

• Like 1

Mine arrived a few weeks ago. I'd ordered in November but didn't get it for months. It's wonderful. It's not something I could sit and read straight through. It's more like meandering through a museum and reading all the signs. I'm enjoying it, but I put it down and got busy.

I'm snowed in, so maybe I'll read more today. I thought I knew most of the facts that never quite made it to the books, but this has even more and lots of photos I've never seen. I'm getting a lot of insight into Rose's personality. I'm not sure if I like her or not. I go back and forth. She definitely seems like one of those larger than life personalities. I am fascinated.

• Like 3

Oh, I get it! I was so confused! You mean this book; I was thinking you mean this book ! -- I got it from the library but I have to return it today b/c there's a hold on it -- so that part fit! But there are no photos, annotations, etc. And I was thinking it was curious that there'd be so much interest on this board about a Vietnamese-American girl's childhood ... :) 

Well, my book ("Pioneer Girl" by Bich Minh Nguyen) looks like a good read (I only had time to skim it) for some folks who are anxiously awaiting the Pioneer Girl book under discussion! :)

It's funny how two books with the same title were published within weeks of each other!

It's not something I could sit and read straight through. It's more like meandering through a museum and reading all the signs. 

That's exactly how I feel about it. I've had others ask me why I haven't finished it yet since I'm enjoying it, but it's just not something I can read for long stretches. Your description is perfect!

• 1 month later...

I just picked up the book from the library today after being on a waiting list for two months. So I have three weeks before I have to return the book. If you read the book did you:

1) Read through the book first without reading the notes on each page?

2) Read every single note as you read each page?

I am not sure I can make it through reading every single note on every page in three weeks.

KungFu Panda summed it up best in her post. It is a meandering read with all the notes.

I just picked up the book from the library today after being on a waiting list for two months. So I have three weeks before I have to return the book. If you read the book did you:

I am not sure I can make it through reading every single note on every page in three weeks.

KungFu Panda summed it up best in her post. It is a meandering read with all the notes.

The notes add so much - sometimes the notes were much more interesting than the manuscript.  I ended up reading every word, and not finishing the book. I'm back on the wait list at the library.  I was pretty bummed that when my turn for the book came, it was at a very busy time for me and I had little time to read. I wanted to finish it!

• Like 1

Mine just FINALLY came on Friday! (became an anniversary present. Ordered Late November. Yay!)  I'm reading the notes as I read the book.  Honestly... The value in the book is in the notes. The text itself is quite a bit the same story she's already told. Its all the other information that makes the book so fabulous in my eyes!  Yes, this is going to make it hard to read in 3 weeks. See what you can do?

my copy I ordered in late november came on Friday.  I have not looked at it yet because I need TIME.  I will read it this week.  Probably the whole thing :)  It's a beautiful book.

Amazon still shows out of stock, so I'm not sure why they shipped mine :)

b

Amazon shows out of stock becasue they have a LONG backlist. They have to ship all those before they have any books for new orders.

• Like 2

I read the entire introduction and started reading every page and the notes, it was SLOW going. I ended up skimming the chapters and reading the notes. I'd like to either purchase it or check it out from the library again because I feel like I missed a lot.