Menu

5th Grade Planning

I see second and fourth, but how about a fifth grade planning thread? I could really use some good ideas.

So far:

Math: Don't know. We'll finish up Beast Academy in the next couple weeks and I'm not sure where to go from there. I might just pass time in Zaccaro Upper Elementary Challenge Math and start next year in AoPS pre-algebra.

Science: CPO Life Science

History: Don't know. We'll finish up SOTW this year and I'm not sure where we will go from there. I've bought Human Odyssey, so I guess we will try that.

Language Arts: Apples and Pears, Literature from the Mensa Kids list, CAP Writing and Rhetoric, IEW Fix It

Lots of dance and piano.

What else? What are you doing? Maybe it will give me some good ideas.

Teresa

My 5th grader is a bit behind the curve as we redid 2nd grade after pulling her out of ps school, but here is what I have planned for her.

math:  MM4/5 and LoF

reading: Narnia year! and good books

language arts:  ETC 7 & 8, Spellwell C & Cc, FLL3, and CAP W&R Narrative I and II

science:  Physical Science with Intelligo

history: SotW2/3 (not sure about the activity book yet)

geography:  finish up world geography with Intelligo and start US geography

Spanish:  CM style

Code.org and scratch in place of music.

extras: Cross Country, Girl Scouts, and 4H

• Like 1

We started a new school year in January.  Here's what 10 year-old is doing:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday:

Ambleside Online finish Y2/ start Y3 booklist, continuing with Story of the World series

Singapore Math

MCT's Grammar Island series 

Writing with Ease 2 and 3 (I think she'll move into WWE3 over the winter)

Finish Apologia's Land Animals of the Sixth Day

Tuesday/Thursday:

Story of the Orchestra

Usborne Impressionist Paintings activity cards

Snap Circuits (moving to Creepy Crawlies and the Scientific Method over the summer- when the bugs are out)

Life of Fred Math 

Prairie Primer (unit study based on the Little House books)

• Like 1

Well here's mine. All subject to change, of course! ;) I am having a hard time grasping that I will have a 5th grader. They are growing up so fast!

Math Mammoth 5 - She has finished Right Start E. Hoping, hoping this is a good transition.

Literature - Narnia study!!! So fun! Even DH (not a big reader) is excited about it. Using FUFI, but not just that. Thanks especially to Silver Moon for teaching ideas and resources.

AAS 6 and 7

Finish FLL 4 and jump in with R&S 5

Writing across the curriculum as SWB recommends. I am reading and learning lots this year about teaching writing. Excited about next year for my imaginative girl who enjoys writing!

Latin For Children A (much of this will be review so she may move through it quickly) and into B.

Ancients - K12 HO as a spine for my 5th grader, with some literature to supplement. Dd reads well and fast and loves history.

Life Science: Human anatomy, intro to microscope, botany. (Only very preliminary planning on this so far. Lots of threads marked for future follow-up!) Also she has WP Equine Science and loves working on that.

Typing/Keyboarding

Art and Drama tutorial one morning a week.

Extras: Piano, choir, AHG. Ballet.

• Like 1

Math: Finishing up the ones he is working on than decide

LA: Vocabulary Workshop C, Grammar for writing

Lit: undecided 

History : undecided

Music : Flute

Science: outside class

German: outside class for the 4th year

Chinese(native): outside class if schedule permits, tutor if not. kids need the outside accountability instead of me nagging

PE: swimming, golf

Art: summer class

Grammar:  Hake?  I want to do Analytical Grammar but I think we'll start that next year since it only goes over 3 years.  So for this year we'll do Hake to keep the momentum of FLL 1 - 4 and then switch to AG next year.

Writing:  Writing with Skill 1  & writing across the curriculum IEW style

History:  SOTW 4

Science:  CPO Life

Math:  AOPS Prealgebra.  I bought Lial's too just in case.

Literature:  MOSDOS Coral (already started and *love* it), MCT novel studies, and other various assigned and free reading

Spelling:  Megawords

Geography:  Continue Trail Guide to US Geography

Latin:  Continue Lively Latin Big Book of Latin 1 and eventually start book 2.

Computers:  Continue modding with minecraft, Blender animation, etc.

Extra Curricular:  swimming, drama, piano, fine art class at the local art school, 

• Like 1

Math:  MM 5

Science:  maybe ES Physics (I wish RSO had a Physics though)

Literature:  probably a combination of some MBTP units, some K12 lit., and maybe some "Best" books - all of which I already have

Other L.A.:  GWG, Building Spelling Skills 5, Writing across all subjects

History:  American using Complete Book of US History as a spine/jumping off place and many other resources;  did this with my oldest and it was our best history year

Other:  Begin some Spanish, continue with typing as it has been neglected this year

We began a new year in January as well, and this is what my grade 5 child is doing:

Math- MEP

Spelling- lists from Natural Speller

Grammar- made up my own- she's making a notebook and doing recitations

Phonics- Seton 4

Latin- First Form over two years

Handwriting- pentime

Bible- memoria press

"Units" ( not sure what else to call them)- eight weeks each. Roman history with Bullfinch, Middle East geography with SL core f books, insects with parables from nature. Used MP materials as base.

CLE math half of level 500 then start the 600's

SOTW 3 with mapwork and written narrations

Apologia Land Animals (nor sure if we'll use the notebook or just practice note taking without it)

Rod and Staff Spelling 5 (probably. . spelling is a weak area for this one and we've never done formal spelling other than the dictation in Modern Speller)

Grammar/Writing-  ???? I'm clueless here. If it's out, I'd like to try Bravewriter's Faltering Ownership program with her.

Bible- maybe Rod and Staff as I've wanted to try these books for years

and Piano

I will have two.

Math: one MM, the other a combination if MEP and BA

Science: third BFSU science book

Writing: finish WWE 4, and the other supplements I've added in to spread out WWE. Then we'll move slowly into WWS.

Grammar: finish the 12 week ALL sample then I'm not sure, AG? Daily Grammar? Grammar Revolution?

History: I will also have a 1st grader, so we will start SOTW again and I will supplement for the olders.

Latin: finish BBoLL1, probably move on to 2

Spanish: continue my mixed study of reading, reading comprehension, listening, and Spanish Now!

Music: piano lessons

Spelling: Spelling Power

Plus soccer, ballet, Scouts, maybe a co-op this year.

We just wrapped up DD's fifth grade studies. 

Math: Key to Fractions, Key to Percents, Khan Academy Pre-Algebra (about 25%)

Literature: Further Up and Further In

Writing: CAP W&R Fable and Narrative 1, Treasured Conversations, The Best Writing Lessons Ever, Writing Magic (no, we didn't do everything in its entirety, the last couple of books were mostly to cover gaps, and for fun)

Grammar: FLL4, Daily Grams 5

Spelling: Phonetic Zoo

History: CHOW (Middle Ages and Early Modern sections only), SOTW4 (I wanted to get through the history cycle at least once, since we'd already done Ancients twice)

Science: WP Equine Science

Foreign Language: Getting Started with Latin

Extracurricular: tumbling, horseback riding, guitar lessons

In hindsight, I wouldn't have stuck so slavishly to the history cycle. SOTW was just a drag. No one enjoyed it. I wish I had just had DD read CHOW (which she liked) and done the social studies lessons with FUFI instead. 

• Like 3

I think we'll do this:

Jousting Armadillos (plus whatever comes after, something about alligators?)

Hogwarts is Here

TOPScience + documentaries/books

Strewed Literature, plus interest-led

Interest-led history, with a historical fiction spine

Violin

Music Theory

Lukeion (either latin or greek - we've done/are doing an intro to both now, so not yet decided on which she wants to pursue first)

Drawing with Older Children and Teens (or whatever it's called - the Monart book)

Weekly homeschool day at a Waldorf school

Writing I'm not sure.  We're going through Treasured Conversations, WWS1, Unjournaling, and some random worksheets/exercises as they come up now, but I don't know what to do for next year.  HiH provides motivation but not much structure.  MCT is just too esoteric and draw-y and cutesy, WWS has been a boring struggle, Unjournaling is fun but not really developing anything.

Suggestions welcome.  She reads at about a 9th grade level.  Writes at maybe 5th.

Math: Key to series? Derek Owens pre-algebra? He needs more practice with the procedures of fractions & decimals (of course we still have 6 months too).

History: Human Odyssey 3, Modern World & additional reading

Science: ?? Maybe an outside class

Literature: I'll create this but I haven't decided on the books yet.

Spelling: AAS 6

Phonics: Either Rewards Secondary or Reading Horizons

Writing: Home2teach classes

Vocab: ?? Wordly Wise is not going well, so I need to find something else or tweak this to make it work better.

Music/extracurricular: piano lessons, programming tutoring, seasonally swimming & baseball

We have several outside classes that aren't set yet for next year also and we do a morning meeting for both kids with Bible, art, poetry, and a read-aloud. That doesn't seem like a lot as I type it out, but we always have plenty to do. We do tend to go in-depth and this kid loves his downtime to build and create.

I cannot accept that my weetle bear is going to be a fifth grader.

However...

My Father's World Exp.-1850 (includes science for her age)

CLE 500 math and reading 5

Rod & Staff grammar 5 and spelling 6

IEW writing for early American history

Discovering the World of geography 5-6

A Reason for Handwriting E (her handwriting is atrocious; she will also do all writing in cursive)

MCP Word Study F

Progeny Press guides for Witch of Blackbird Pond and Johnny Tremain

**I need to find her something for logic; she is very good at it and blows through the books like nothing.  Any novel suggestions?

She does choir with her BFF two sessions a year and loves it.

Am I missing anything?  I always feel like I'm missing something when I write it all out.  Oh, typing.  She's gotten pretty speedy by just playing online games.  Parenting fail.

ETA: She also does Kay Arthur's Revelation Bible study.  She's working through the first part and just got the second part for Christmas.

I was looking to see if someone had started this thread! My oldest son will be a fifth grader next year. Mostly, he's pretty easy; most things are just the next step up from this year.

History: History Odyssey Level 2 Ancients

Math: Singapore Level 5

Literature: As listed for history, plus whatever else I decide to assign from lists of things I think he should read. Maybe a family lit study.

Writing: since we will finish WWE4 this year, I am planning to use TC next year, before going on to WWS1 the following year.

Other LA: undecided about any sort of formal grammar yet (probably not), Spelling Power (he's done well with it this year), continue typing program, teach him to use Word so he can do summaries and outlines.

Science: Mr. Q Physical Science, coupled with a few supplements (maybe using the LEGO Technic Simple Machines book)

Languages: finish GSWL, continue Mango Italian if he wants, move on to DuoLingo Italian if he desires. Alternately, move to a different foreign language through Mango or DuoLingo, or try French through Nallenart, since I have it on hand somewhere.

Art: ARTistic Pursuits, picture study put together by me, free art (he likes to draw).

Music: composer study put together by me, continue programs to teach piano and guitar

Geography: included with history, but we will also do a group subject of Us Geography using a mashup I'm putting together of Trail Guide to US Geography and 50 States and Where to Find Them.

Logic: will probably throw CryptoMindBenders into the rotation some, maybe some sort of critical thinking book. Haven't really decided yet.

Poetry: Hmm, I don't have a specific resource I want to use for him yet. Might or might not worry too much about that. Might sift through past threads on poetry. I generally have something poetry going in our family reading rotation, so that might be plenty for him.

Bible: I have a couple of Kay Arthur books for kids and an Explorers study, so maybe one of those.

PE and extracurriculars: I expect he will want to continue martial arts; he's earned three belts so far and loves it. Gym class at co-op if possible. Maybe tennis in the summer. Hiking and bike rides. Swimming when possible. Hopefully gardening and cooking with me.

For my 5th grader:

Math: Finish Singapore 5b & CWP 5, then start Singapore 6

Science: Story of Science 1: Aristotle and he'll be studying earth science & astronomy with real books

History: K12 Human Odyssey 1 along with lots of primary source documents

Geography: Memoria Press Geography 1 & 2

Literature: To dovetail with the history. I'm working to tweak the literature list his older sister did, so it's not quite so heavy and girl-centric.

Grammar/Writing: MCT Town (all components), Killgallon Elementary Grammar, and a daily "writing block".

French: Finish Galore Park's SYRWTL French 1 and start level 2.

Logic: Blast off with Logic series and Philosophy for Children

Art: Artistic Pursuits: Upper Elem Bk 1

Extra: Piano lessons, cub scouts, and seasonal soccer & baseball

I cannot accept that my weetle bear is going to be a fifth grader.

However...

My Oh, typing. She's gotten pretty speedy by just playing online games. Parenting fail.

Every year I see these threads and realize "that's us!" I'm starting to feel like a seasoned hs'er. Crazy.

And not a fail, she's typing. Parenting success!

As for us on school... I have no idea. None. Really struggling with what to cover, what to use, etc. I need to get on that, we use tax money. I need a plan in place prior to receiving a check.

• Like 1

I love curriculum planning! :-) Our 5th grade plans are:

History: HOD Creation to Christ

Bible: HOD and Jesus in the Spotlight

Science: Apologia Land Animals as scheduled in CTC and adding in Anatomy & Physiology

Grammar: Rod and Staff Grammar 5

Vocabulary from Classical Roots 5

Literature: HOD DITHOR

Writing: CAP Writing and Rhetoric 3 & 4 and a bit of WWTB

Math: Horizons Math 5

Poetry/Painting: HOD

Math: continue Teaching Textbooks 6 (which she's slated to begin next month), and taking Fridays off to do multiplication and division drills, even if it means she won't start TT7

Literature: I keep a shelf of novels for her to read, and let her pick the next one, reading at least one chapter a day. I'm going to put her in charge of keeping the reading log next year, since I did a bad job keeping up with her voracious appetite. I decided to assign one novel every 4 weeks. If she finishes the book before the 4 weeks is up, she can read whatever she wants during the remaining time.

Composition: I waffle between getting the next Writing Strands or getting a program that lets her write a novel-length fiction. We'll still continue with daily journaling regardless, as this has really improved her writing this year. In between Writing Strands projects, I may have create her own blog.

Spelling: Building Spelling Skills 5 my MIL gave me a 6th grade spelling book and it looks like a similar challenge level to what I was planning, so we'll go with the free option :D

Vocab: Vocabulary from Classical Roots 5

Grammar: I waffle between skipping formal grammar study for a year or trying something new. She's got a great handle on basic grammar, and I don't want to waste her time when we have so many other things to work on next year. We're doing a combination of Easy Peasy grammar, Mad Libs (so she won't forget parts of speech), and some grammar topics from E. D. Hirsch's 5th grade list. Grammar will only be covered 3 times a week every other week.

History: SOTW 4 with activity book and many library books -we may spread this out over 2 years. I'd also like to start doing Current Events on Fridays. I'll have her look at a kids current events page, then discuss it with me. We're going to go through WWII this year, and finish up SOTW4 next year.

Science: definitely doing a semester of astronomy, maybe also a semester of chemistry or history of science, books TBD Astronomy will be mostly library reads, with a few Usborne and DK titles at home, plus Friday night labs with my husband and his telescope. For Chemistry we'll use McHenry as our spine with Gray's The Elements. I'll cobble a kitchen lab together with various sources.

Spanish: probably Spanish for Children B, but we'll slow down the pace to make it last 2 years, and spend some time with Spanish readers We'll be using half an old high school Spanish text from the 1980s that was given to me many years ago. We'll also be watching videos and using readers at least once a week.

Art: various projects from Deep Space Sparkle and other blogs

Logic: not sure yet, maybe Logic Countdown and Logic Liftoff? In addition to Logic Countdown, we'll do Mindbenders, a variety puzzle book, and Easy Peasy's thinking links on Fridays.

Study skills: Learning to Study, Book E Learning to Learn

Life skills: She'll work on more cooking and other household responsibilities. I may start assigning her one night a week to plan a meal and cook it, so she can learn what she wants to cook/eat.

Co-op classes will include drama. We'll continue with Girl Scouts and our local library homeschool group. My husband and I are also starting a Lego Robotics team for Girl Scouts in our county.

One thing that struck me about this year was that I scheduled too much to do. On days when we were mostly out of the house due to co-op classes, field trips, Girl Scouts, etc, we still had hours of schoolwork to be done. I want to plan for a 4.5 day school week this year, instead of a full 5 days, even if it means we won't finish our history or Spanish books. My goal shouldn't be to finish a textbook in each subject each and every year. I am very goal focused, so it's been hard for me to see that she'll actually have a better chance to learn stuff when I'm not stressing her out with a crazy pace. Now I just need to figure out how to explain that to my husband, who only agreed to homeschool the girls if I could provide a "better" (i.e. more rigorous) education than the public school...

Ruth

ETA: I can't believe how much I changed my mind between planning and actually buying books.

DD will start fifth next year too. I'm still playing around with things, mostly writing, but so far I have...

Language Arts:

Hake 5 (it looks incredibly dry and repetitive but w/DD grammar repetition is everything)

CAP 3 and 4 (I bought WWS but might poke my eyes out trying to like it)

Sequential Spelling 2 (it's AMAZING what this has done for her spelling this year)

Cursive practice

Math: Singapore Standards 5A/B and 6B

History: Middle Ages w/ History Odyssey 2

Science: My Pals are Here 5/6 Interactions and Energy, lots of labs

Latin: Latina Christiana I

Logic: Building Thinking Skills 2

Art: Meet the Masters Track C and D

Music: Meet the Great Composers 1

English: R &S for English

Writing: CAP Writing and Rhetoric Narrative

Math: Saxon, with Beast Academy as a supplement

History: SOTW

Science: Astronomy and Space (not sure exactly what program yet)

Latin: Latina Christiana and Famous Men of Rome

• Like 1

Math: MM5a/5b and mathreflex.com 

Spelling: Sequential Spelling 

Grammar: FLL4

Writing: Still undecided- maybe an online class? Maybe continue with CAP W&R? Maybe WWS? Probably some Killgallon too? 

Literature: Lots and lots of quality literature that we select together one book at a time

Foreign language: Weekly Japanese tutor supplemented with Mango Languages online 

Music: Piano lessons and choir 

Art: Deep Space Sparkle for art 

Science and history: Still undecided for both. We've always kept them very loose and interest based. Not sure if whether we'll start a formal curriculum for either of those areas or continue with a more interest based, eclectic approach. 

Other: nature/survival classes, continue learning to code (currently using codecademy.org)

Morning basket: Bible reading, catechism, poetry and Scripture memory

Math: MM5B-?

Grammar, Writing, and lit: Narnia

Spelling: SWO Or PZ

Reading and Reasoning 1

History: VP self paced NTGR

Science: Science in the Beginning (outsourced)

Spanish: Middlebury Interactive

Art: Mark Kistler

Music: piano

It will be a full year before we do these plans, but in general:

CLE 500 for Math, LA, Reading, Bible, Social Studies, and Science

Working with Words 5

CLE Music Theory 5

Artpac 5

Pentime 5

Hey Andrew 5

Latin's Not So Tough 5

Home library and memory work topics will include world literature and history (ancients, Africa, Asia, South America, Canada, Native Americans) and biology and geology.  But this rotates every three years (following Classical Conversations) so it will vary depending on what year it is.

It will be my second and last time with a 5th grader...and no more grammar stage for me.

Math: Beast Academy and SM CWP and SM Math Sprints. We didn't start  BA until February of last year (3rd grade) so I am running a bit late, lol. We are just starting 4th grade now. B/c they don't have 5th grade BA yet, I am not hustling to catch up. If we don't finish BA until 6th grade I am fine with that. He just loves BA so much and I love no math fighting!

Language Arts:

R&S grammar 5

R&S spelling 5

Well Trained Mind academy Preparation for Expository Writing (my goal is to use WWS 1 in 6th grade, like I did with his brother)

Literature: Ancient World reading list

History:

Ancient history: my own concoction using K12 Human Odyssey and some Oxford Press and some other books. I could cry over leaving SOTW

Science: a general science course covering life, earth and physical. It will be heavily informed by BFSU2. And various and sundry other resources

Latin: continue with Lively Latin

Logic: the Logic Liftoff series, all three books over the course of the year

Piano, trumpet, choir and lots of ballet. He'll have four classes a week next year!

Bible: Continue Teaching Hearts, Training Minds; memory verses; Apologia's Who is God?

Math: Saxon 6/5

Writing and Grammar: Rod and Staff 5 (I think it is Following the Plan) and finish up Progressive Composition Book 1 and start Book 2.

Spelling: continue alternating Modern Speller and Wheeler's Speller

Latin: Latina Christina

History: SOTW 2, working on reading independently and beginning outlining

Science: AIG God's Design for Heaven and Earth, again working toward independence

Reading: finish up McGuffey Third Reader and start the Fourth (working on vocabulary, elocution, and summarizing passages); working through book list and                       writing 2  one page narrations per week.

Art: continue working through Barry Stebbings I Can Do All Things, AO artist rotation

Music: Harmonica maybe?, AO composer rotation

PE: I laid this responsibility on my husband (along with any gardening, chickens, reading their science lessons with my boys, and the birds and bees                                    conversations).  :001_smile:

• Like 2

Math - MM5 with BA fridays

Science - Layers of Learning Ancients built our science out of Ellen Mchenry Elements, layers of learning and science in a nutshell kits

History - Biblio Plan Ancients and Layers of Learning VP SP Ancient w/ some activities from Layers of Learning

Spelling - Phonetic Zoo

Vocabulary - vocabulary from classic roots

Grammar - undecided, we are going to get into JAG by the end of the year so we might finish it off next year or R&S 5 CC Essentials and AG on the weeks off

Writing - W & R Narration 1 (IEW during CC)

Reading - Memoria press 6th grade literature pack or Ambleside books using Teaching the Classics workbook some literature from VP History list, Iliad and Odyssey, working on the mensa reading list

Spanish - Espanol para chicos y grandes

Elective: Dance, piano, gymnastics, homeschool PE class

I pretty much changed everything I originally planned on doing.... I'm also hoping to add a poetry tea time but I have a feeling that is something we won't get around too.

Assigned Independent Reading

• Bible (Egermeier [OT]; Victor Journey [OT]
  • Science (Apologia Zoology 1 & Zoology 2, with or without CDs, her choice) -- plus a one-page written notebook page per week
  • Biography (6 biographies) -- plus a one-page written biography grid every 5th week
  • Civics (30 short books, one per week)
  • Literature (10 chapter books)
  • History (SOTW 1; History Bookshelf) -- plus a one-page written notebook page per week
  • Math (Exploring the World of Mathematics)
  • Composers & Artists (complete the independent portion of our C & A study materials)

Grammar (1/2 year) & Analogies (1/2 year)

FLL 4 (complete second half, grammar only)

Analogies workbook

Composition

WWS 1 (continue) + a bit of this and a bit of that....

Spelling & Vocabulary

Phonetic Zoo, Level C

Wordly Wise 5

Memory Work

Beautiful Memories 5 (homemade memory packets)

Typing Skills

Typing Instructor (continue)

Math

CLE Math 500

Music

Instrument lessons & practice

Children's choir

Latin

LC 2 or FF

French

EP 3 & 4 (review with workbooks)

First Start French (begin?)

Group Subjects

Bible & Christian Discipleship

Junior Bible Quiz (at home only)

Hymns & Worship

Bible Memory Work (from church midweek)

History & Geography: Ancients

MOH 1; History Bookshelf

Wall timeline, map work & a few hands-on projects

VP timeline cards

Literature

Book Club (we read aloud chapter books & discuss them a bit)

1. Shakespeare -- A Midsummer Night's Dream
  2. On the Banks of Plum Creek (our next Little House book)
  3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader (our next Narnia book)
  4. Tucker's Countryside (our next Tucker book)
  5. Betsy & Tacy Go Over the Big Hill (our next BT books)
  6. Caddie Woodlawn's Family
  7. Tales from Beatrix Potter (continue from 2nd & 4th)

Science

MP's Birds course + Bird Book Basket + Field work & hands-on projects

I think we will have time for RS4K's Middle School Chemistry (someone will loan it to us)

Maybe some study on Germs? OR Science Work (choose topic, investigate on your own, write report)

Composer & Artist Study

Zeezok Press materials for Bach, Handel & Haydn

SCM materials for Michelangelo, da Vinci, and Monet

Home Skills, Handicrafts & Art (nothing formal, just as we go along)

Practical skills around the home

SCM Handicraft DVDs (crocheting, knitting, hand sewing)

See the Light DVD art lessons

• Like 1

My middles child (DS10) will be in 5th next year. This plan is tentative, but here it is:

Math: Beast Academy 4C, 4D, 5A, 5B (I've allowed him to work at a slower pace due to release dates. If we kick things up a notch, he may be able to finish 5C as well, and then do 5D over summer break if it's out by then)

LA: Magic Lens 1 (We'll be doing the entire set. He started Island a year early because his sister was doing it, and he liked it so much. He does real well with MCT. He's in the middle of Voyage right now and doing great)

Along with the 4 papers in the writing portion of Magic Lens 1, he will do short research papers. I'm thinking one per month, but we'll see how that goes and tweak as we go.

History: We'll be back to the beginning next year, so Ancients. I'm not a huge fane of SOTW (sorry), but we listen to the CDs by Jim Weiss in the car to supplement. We actually do Classical Conversations memory work (not part of a community). My favorite History to do is Simply Charlotte Mason, so we'll go off of that schedule for readings and books for him to read.

Science: I actually don't know yet. That is the one thing I dropped the ball on this year, so I may just do what he should've done this year for Science. Well, there is the CC memory work that we do. Maybe I'll just do the Apologia books coordinating with the memory work.

Spelling: I totally dropped the ball this year. I think I need a new system for this because what I wanted to do the last two years has failed miserably. What is it they say? "The best curriculum is the one that gets done."? Yeah, I need to find something that will actually get done. He does vocab through MCT, so that's getting done. It's just the spelling...

Geography: Mapping the World with Art. I'm not actually going to require this of him, but his sister is going to do it next year, so I may have him start out doing it too. I'm just not sure if I want to bog his day down with work that isn't necessary at his stage. KWIM?

Reading: He's been reading the second book in a series I bought last Spring. Adventures in Reading, or something like that. He does okay, but he has been progressing so slowly. I hope to focus on fun reading this summer (viz: below reading level), and hope that he will pick up speed next year with this.

I feel like I'm missing a lot, but I also think that this list is a lot. If only there were more hours in a day. ;)

Angie

• Like 1

History: We'll be back to the beginning next year, so Ancients. I'm not a huge fan of SOTW (sorry), but we listen to the CDs by Jim Weiss in the car to supplement. We actually do Classical Conversations memory work (not part of a community). My favorite History to do is Simply Charlotte Mason, so we'll go off of that schedule for readings and books for him to read.

I'm so glad you posted this! We're also starting Ancients, SOTW works only as a supplement on the CDs, we plan to start the CC History cards, and I'm really liking the way the SCM modules are laid out. Have you done any of them? Pros? Cons? Do you do the Visits to ____ for Geography?  :bigear: 

Science: I actually don't know yet. That is the one thing I dropped the ball on this year, so I may just do what he should've done this year for Science. Well, there is the CC memory work that we do. Maybe I'll just do the Apologia books coordinating with the memory work.

Science is up in the air for us, too. We have Wile's Science in the Beginning, so we may just do that. We have all the Apologia books, but they're not my favorite for actually working through -- read a bit, do this, read a bit, do this, read a bit, do this. Drives me nuts. And some of those activities would take us half a day to do! Grr. I think I'm going to simply purchase more living books, that the girls would actually pick up and read (on their own) or that we could read aloud without the "get up, do this, come back, read more, do this" exasperating nonsense. Just books that "read through," if that makes sense. I have been looking quite a bit at the CC Science cards, and think we'll get all the sets. They would really add some fiber to our Science line-up!

Spelling: I totally dropped the ball this year. I think I need a new system for this because what I wanted to do the last two years has failed miserably. What is it they say? "The best curriculum is the one that gets done."? Yeah, I need to find something that will actually get done. He does vocab through MCT, so that's getting done. It's just the spelling...

We switched from AAS to Phonetic Zoo this year for my 4th grader, and it's going well. Other than two or three minutes at the beginning of her lesson, it is totally independent and student-directed. We are both happy with that aspect. Once we got set up (I set up a binder with all she needs) and practiced the routine a bit, she was good to go. We needed to change from Spelling being dependent on me to really not needing much at all.

Geography: Mapping the World with Art. I'm not actually going to require this of him, but his sister is going to do it next year, so I may have him start out doing it too. I'm just not sure if I want to bog his day down with work that isn't necessary at his stage. KWIM?

Oh, now I want to look at this! :biggrinjester: Mapping the World with Art.... hmm.... kill two birds with one stone, huh?

Reading: He's been reading the second book in a series I bought last Spring. Adventures in Reading, or something like that. He does okay, but he has been progressing so slowly. I hope to focus on fun reading this summer (viz: below reading level), and hope that he will pick up speed next year with this.

I feel like I'm missing a lot, but I also think that this list is a lot. If only there were more hours in a day. ;)

Angie

It all looks so good and solid. Hope you enjoy your year with your 5th grader.

We are just finishing up 5th grade

Reading was a remedial mish-mash of Horizons Phonics, MP literature and CLE

Spelling-Rod & Staff 4

Grammar-Rod & Staff 4

Math-CLE 500-600s

Science-BJU

Geography-Trail Guide to World Geography  <--I would not recommend this resource

Spanish for Children A

Thankfulness journal from MP

Morning meeting-Bible, Fables/Poetry, Latin chants, Singapore CWP, Handwriting

• Like 1

We're mostly just continuing along with what we are already using.  My kids ended up being strange and really like worksheets.  They also learn much better when they can see/read it for themselves, rather than being read to.

Math

Math Mammoth - he's starting 5A very shortly so will probably get through 5A, 5B, and 6A next year

Daily Word Problems 5th grade - he'll probably have started this before the end of this year too

Skill Sharpeners Math 5th grade - just started 5th grade level

Algebra Readiness Made Easy 5th grade

some form of logic puzzles - he LOVES the grid puzzles.

Language Arts:

he's almost finished with the 6th grade level of his spelling, which is the highest they go.  I'm thinking of switching to something that goes into etymology, word roots, etc. instead of strictly spelling.

His spelling also included a lot of grammar and writing and he's doing Writing With Ease 2 and More Proofreading Practice Please, which we'll continue next year until he finishes them.  He's also just starting to do book reports.

Daily Reading Comprehension Grade 5 - already started 5th grade, probably will finish 6th next year

Word-A-Day 5th grade - just started the 5th grade level

He does a ton of reading - some picked for him (from WWE selections and others), some he gets to pick

Science

He does together with his sister, just with harder books and worksheets.  Using a little bit of RSO, lots of books, posters and demonstrations.

History

They are working through US History, using a little bit of everything especially lots of books.

Geography

They cover some through History but we are also participating in a postcard swap and I plan to start doing some geography using the postcards very shortly on weekends.  In the Fall, they are also going to do Highlights Which Way USA (I think that's what it's called).

Music

Another one of those things I plan to do on weekends once I get situated.  Also start with some keyboarding.

Art

They go to a monthly tour and class at a local art museum.  They are also doing some Draw/Write/Now and I plan to do some Art on those well organized weekends. :thumbup1:

Physical Education

They do bowling, swimming lessons, Zumba, fencing, archery, ice skating, and some form of calisthenics for at least an hour a day. 

Foreign Language

??? Not sure when they will start this.

We just found out ds qualifies to take classes at our local college through the Gifted/Talented program.  We're going to give it a try with one class this Spring and see how he does.  Then he may do their 1/2 day summer camp and summer classes in the Fall.

Science is up in the air for us, too. We have Wile's Science in the Beginning, so we may just do that. We have all the Apologia books, but they're not my favorite for actually working through -- read a bit, do this, read a bit, do this, read a bit, do this. Drives me nuts. And some of those activities would take us half a day to do! Grr. I think I'm going to simply purchase more living books, that the girls would actually pick up and read (on their own) or that we could read aloud without the "get up, do this, come back, read more, do this" exasperating nonsense. Just books that "read through," if that makes sense. I have been looking quite a bit at the CC Science cards, and think we'll get all the sets. They would really add some fiber to our Science line-up!

We switched from AAS to Phonetic Zoo this year for my 4th grader, and it's going well. Other than two or three minutes at the beginning of her lesson, it is totally independent and student-directed. We are both happy with that aspect. Once we got set up (I set up a binder with all she needs) and practiced the routine a bit, she was good to go. We needed to change from Spelling being dependent on me to really not needing much at all.

Sahamamama,

Thanks for reminding me about Wile's Science curriculum. I think we may give that a try. I feel the exact same as you about Apologia. We actually skip all the activities because I got so sick of them disrupting the flow of the material. Otherwise, I love the Apologia books. I've heard some great things about Wile's curriculum, so I think I'll look more into it.

I'm going to look at Phonetic Zoo too. I need something like you mentioned. Something that isn't dependent upon me nagging the kids to remember to do. We have been doing words from the McGuffy's Speller, but they are solely dependent upon me to get their list as I have them spell words verbally for me, and I only give them ones they miss. It worked great at first, but right now I need a "get-er-done" curriculum. Thanks for sharing that.

Take a look at Mapping the World with Art. It's by Ellen McHenry. I've wanted to do this for a while now, and I'm finally doing it. I can't wait. I'm going to do it too. Is that sad? LOL

Angie

• Like 1

I just have a tentative idea for the moment:

Math -----Math in Focus (I have already ordered it and I hope it won't be too big a switch from TT that we have done so far)

Geography--- Beautiful Feet Geography through literature

History ----Veritas Press self paced( waiting for it to go on sale)

Writing ----Classical Composition by Memoria Press

Grammar-----R & S 5

Spelling----Spelling Power

Science--- Apologia Anatomy and Physiology and Botany( maybe)

I have no idea about what else we'll be doing.

My sons also swim 3 times a week, private piano lessons and gymnastics so they stay busy?

Any recommendations on everything that I have missed?

• 2 weeks later...

Math: Beast Academy 5

History: American History using consolidated Joy Hakim.

Writing: Attuneup.com Time Capsule

Science: interest-led using a variety of books on the human body, interpreting scientific data, understanding science articles, "science mysteries" and illness.

Latin: Henle Latin

CNN student news and discussion

Vocab: SAT vocab with his brother

Project-based school 3 days a week, 9-3 pm.

Sport: Tae Kwon Do

Suggestions welcome.  She reads at about a 9th grade level.  Writes at maybe 5th.

How about CAP? My 9 yo reads at a high school level, writes at about a 7th grade level adn this has been good for him--he enjoys the stories and he just has to do a bit "more" in terms of writing than what they ask for me to feel he's challenged. He is going to start attuneup in the fall, so that should be fun for him, too.

Math: CLE 600

Language Arts: CLE LA 500, CLE Reading 400, CAP W&R books 3 and 4

History: VP self paced Explorers-1815 with literature pack

Science: Science Detective and various classes at zoo and science center.

Latin: Self Paced Latin for Children

Other: Greek Code Cracker

Allstar Cheerleading and Lacrosse to round it out ;-)

• Like 1

I've enjoyed reading the other 5th grade plans! I think I can finally put ours on "paper."  This is for my bright, but VERY active child.  This year is the first that we've actually been able to get through history and science.  In years past I could never keep her attention long enough to get to those subjects.  Still though, history is not internalized at all.  Hoping that the change to VP Self-paced will match her learning style.

Math: Horizons

Grammar: Rod & Staff

Writing: CAP W&R

Spelling: SWO

History: VPSP - Middle Ages plus literature

Science: 2 Apologias of her choice

Spanish: La Clase 2

Latin: will try to add it, I have LFC and LC1, not sure which I'll try yet

Geography: continual review with Geography Songs

She plays year-round soccer and taekwondo. Attends a co-op for enrichment and fun with friends.

• 3 weeks later...

I might be ready to commit to next year... here goes!

Math: RS G. Possibly video text, still undecided here.

Science: CPO earth science

History: first semester, finish SL E. Second semester: change to world geography. Undecided.

English: FLL4. WWS.

AAS intensive this summer. We need something extra for spelling this fall. Something that isn't mom intensive. Something that will get done.

I'd like to start formal logic, but no idea what that will look like.

Also considering a root study - perhaps this will help increase vocab and spelling skills?

Typing, violin, AWANAS.

After typing all that out, maybe I'm not ready to commit. There are a lot of blanks. :-)

I see second and fourth, but how about a fifth grade planning thread? I could really use some good ideas.

So far:

Math: Don't know. We'll finish up Beast Academy in the next couple weeks and I'm not sure where to go from there. I might just pass time in Zaccaro Upper Elementary Challenge Math and start next year in AoPS pre-algebra.

Science: CPO Life Science

History: Don't know. We'll finish up SOTW this year and I'm not sure where we will go from there. I've bought Human Odyssey, so I guess we will try that.

Language Arts: Apples and Pears, Literature from the Mensa Kids list, CAP Writing and Rhetoric, IEW Fix It

Lots of dance and piano.

What else? What are you doing? Maybe it will give me some good ideas.

Teresa

How quickly plans change, huh?

This week we are starting Jousting Armadillos, so I guess we will just continue with that next year. Finished SOTW too.

New plan:

Math: Jousting Armadillos, then Crocodiles and Coconuts

History: OUP Ancients Just started this and we love it!

Spelling: Apples and Pears

Writing: CAP W&R, IEW Fix-It

Science: CPO Life

Then company dance and music.

Reading lots of quality literature...and some just for fun stuff too.

That's it...for now. ;)

My dd is sort of 4th/5th this year! Here's what we're doing:

Maths: finish Beast Academy 4. We've been meandering through these as we wait for 5. She also does Singapore, life of Fred and Kahn. I expect we'll probably jump into Singapore 5 sometime later in the year.

Language Arts:

Finish MCT town level and Classical Writing Aesop B. I assign literature. We combine cursive and spelling, with lists I pull from her reading.

History:

History revealed, Romans, reformers and revolutionaries. We're actually really enjoying this. Covers some geography too though we all do legends and leagues with our meeting time.

Science:

She and younger brother (2nd/3rd) are working through bfsu 2 in kind of a unit study way.

Latin:

Prima Latina

Russian:

Homemade workbook

Art:

Project based + artistic pursuits (I forget which book)

Bible:

Stick figuring through the bible.

Logic:

Primarily through games, puzzles & muscles of the mind.

Music:

Violin lessons, some at home piano lessons.

PE:

Family time fitness and general stuff, swimming, bike riding etc.

That's about it. Keeps us very busy!

• 3 weeks later...

Reviving this as I contemplate next year. All tentative:

Math - wish BA 5 was ready

Lain - Latin Prep or an online class would be great

Writing - W&R Narrative I and II

Lit - LLtLOTR with sister, co-cop book group

Grammar - MCT Paragraph

History/Geog - SOTW 3

Science - RSO Biology 2, First Lego League, Science Olympiad

I've posted on some of the other threads, but our plans have changed quite a bit in the last month or two.   :blush:

Math: MUS Epsilon?

LA: ELTL level 3?, finish up Cheerful Cursive (or not, he's picking it up quickly)

History: SCM Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation plus their Geography guide for Europe 

Science: Burgess Bird Study from SCM, Exploring Planet Earth, 365 Starry Nights

piano lessons

Drawspace art lessons (DH is teaching this)

Charlotte Mason studies

Latin:  Latina Christiana?

SilverMoon, which Booklamds volume were you considering for fifth grade? I have the books on my tablet but haven't looked at them much yet. That might make a good anthology for DS1.

I haven't decided yet, but your post inspired me to flip through them. She's read plenty from My Book House and a couple volumes from Collier's Junior Classics already. Journeys Through Bookland is more mature though. She's already read 90% of volume 1's content elsewhere, so probably volume 2 and/or 3. 3 looks like it would interest her more, but 2 has some good stuff that she likely wouldn't read on her own.

• Like 1