Menu

Would you ever have just a Lego room?

Elisabet1

My children can play for hours in the old small bedroom we have not finished clearing out. It is full of Legos. That is what they are playing with. There is still a book shelf in there. They are making stop motion videos with the Legos too. Even the 3 yr old has been playing for a long time.

It is tempting to put 3 yr old in the large bedroom with the boys, and just leave the small room as a Lego room. I haven't wanted to do it because they already have a game room and a media room. BUT, Legos around the house and mixed in with everything is a pain. 

Would that just be a totally crazy idea?

We do, effectively. According to the floor plan, it's the dining room (but we have a big kitchen, so our table lives there). Playmobil also lives there, as does one of DD's snakes, but for the most part, it's the lego room. A full wall of sets of the preschool toy bins with sorted legos, small shelves/tables around the edge to hold finished creations (and the snake), and empty floor space in the middle for building. I've had 10 kids in there, all building at once, and it works well.

We have a "project room" that is largely oriented to Lego (and snap circuits, mecchano, etc), plus puzzles, family games, and craft supplies.

It's nice to have the 'toys' that require care and attention kept separately from the more random, active and durable toys in the basement/playroom with the TV.

I set aside a large area of our storage room as the Lego room and it was helpful to have most of the stuff in one location.  It migrated, though.  

I have friends who have 5 children and 5 bedrooms in their house.  They have all the kids in one bedroom, a chapel in another, a study/workout room in another, a homeschool room in another and a Lego/toy room in another.  I think they are brilliant for making the house work the way THEY want it to.  :0)

We have a carpeted, finished room in our basement that serves as our Lego room.  It's all my boys want to play with.  It has a table for building and shelves up high to protect projects from the terrible toddler.  It can stay a mess and no one has to see it.  Works great for us.

We don't have one at the moment, but it is a definite for the Addition that is in planning at the moment.  

Honestly, I think even if we were childless we'd have one for DH.  

I'm not into Lego, but the little pieces on the floor are driving me bat-poop crazy, so I am all for the idea.   How do OCD parents cope?  Wait, maybe they are like mine and never buy them.  

Is there any reason the three year old can't go in with the expected baby? I'd probably do that before putting her in with the older boys, especially since autism and aspbergers are involved. Do you think those two boys will be able to deal with four in a room with such diverse ages?

We have a playroom, but the main focus is Legos.  There are long building tables along two of the walls with all of the bins stored underneath.  The third wall has a floor-to-ceiling shelf with all of the other toys.   The fourth wall has the giant bunny condo & supplies.

What would your Lego rooms look like, beyond a shelf to hold the creations? I also wonder HOW IN THE EVER LOVING WORLD you keep all of those sets separate? We have several sets of Lego education, but very few sets. The sets we do have are mixed in with the other stuff because apparently my kids are not capable of keeping the pieces together. Finally, what's the point of buying something, building it and displaying it, and then never touching it again? Is that what happens in your house? Clearly, I am Lego ignorant.

If it would work for your family go for it.  I have a large Little Tykes castle in what is supposed to be the living room.  Ds has lung issues and if the weather is too hot or too cold it makes breathing very difficult for him.  We set that room up so he could run, climb and bounce year round.  When he gets a little older it may easily become a lego room.

We have a Lego room. It used to be a kitchen, so there are counters (for working / building) on 3 sides. Shelves on the wall hold creations, but they don't stay there forever, just for the duration of their enjoyment. Sets are not usually kept separate, but we do keep general areas for individual owners (i.e., DS's Legos on one side, DH's on the other, girls' in the middle, etc.).

My Lego lovers love to display different books about Lego, cool pictures (often cut out from the Lego calendar), and the fronts that they cut out of the boxes when they get new sets. It's a "do whatever you like" room, so they are free to tack up stuff on the walls, etc. There's a coffee table in the middle of the room for more building space, and - yes, they all spend hours and hours and hours down there. It's tiny, and only partially-finished, and not at ALL professional-Pinterest-magazine looking, but it is quite the Popular Spot when Lego friends come over.

There's a radio / CD player for listening to audio books, etc.

We all love it.

What would your Lego rooms look like, beyond a shelf to hold the creations? I also wonder HOW IN THE EVER LOVING WORLD you keep all of those sets separate? We have several sets of Lego education, but very few sets. The sets we do have are mixed in with the other stuff because apparently my kids are not capable of keeping the pieces together. Finally, what's the point of buying something, building it and displaying it, and then never touching it again? Is that what happens in your house? Clearly, I am Lego ignorant.

My brother and I decided to share a room for a few years in order to turn the other room into our Lego room!  It is one of my best memories as a child.  We spent hours in that room.  Each Lego type had its own lands and we would make scenery to go with that groups lands. So I say do it!

Here the sets get made and then after awhile are broken down and subsumed into the rest of the Lego collection. The instruction manuals are filed in a binder in case someone wants to rebuild it later but we don't keep the sets seperate or on display for more than a few weeks. The stuff that gets displayed longest is the more impressive free build things they dream up.

I don't see the point of keeping the sets all separate. My boys would find that very lame.

Here the sets get made and then after awhile are broken down and subsumed into the rest of the Lego collection. The instruction manuals are filed in a binder in case someone wants to rebuild it later but we don't keep the sets seperate or on display for more than a few weeks. The stuff that gets displayed longest is the more impressive free build things they dream up.

I don't see the point of keeping the sets all separate. My boys would find that very lame.

You just gave me permission to not keep the sets separate and I feel so relieved! Question though-can they actually FIND all of the right pieces when they want to build something? My Lego builder is only 6 so maybe he's just not old enough for that yet.

We had one after our fire for about a year after we moved back in. We didn't have the floors done on the 2nd floor  floors refinished and lived in the basement/ first floor. One of the smaller bedrooms was totally legos- no furniture, just old sleeping bags and bins of legos. The kids LOVED it and played for hours in that room -along with whatever friends came over. 

You just gave me permission to not keep the sets separate and I feel so relieved! Question though-can they actually FIND all of the right pieces when they want to build something? My Lego builder is only 6 so maybe he's just not old enough for that yet.

Yes. Though my 6 year old needs help. Which he gets from his 11 year old brother. It's a longer process (and sometimes we resort to subbing a brick of the same size but a different color in a pinch) but it is fun.

One of my best friends is one of four boys. They were born from the late 70s to late 80s and collected the number of Lego sets you might expect for a middle class family of four boys where mom majored in math and dad was an doctorate level engineer. His mom, several years ago, found herself with all of the Legos and manuals and rebuilt them ALL by herself. It took like a year. As she finished each set, she zip locked it with the instructions so she could delight all the grandkids she hopes for (so far just 2, older one is 6). My son recieved a vintage 1980s pirate ship from his godfather, one of the many sets his mom recreated. That's one kickass granny in my book! (And she homeschooled all of them, lol)

If my kids were that much into Legos, and it kept the Legos contained, and I had the space, then YES.  I would do it.

My old kids were totally into their wooden train set.  We had a room that was lined with bookshelves, and no furniture.  Just trains.  Called it "The Train Room".  

I could totally see having a Lego Room.