Menu

Sort of S/o from potato thread. Potatoes or no potatoes for holiday dinners.

lynn

or your dinner would not be the same without________________

Since bil came in the family my sister has started bringing kraft mac n cheese, why......bil will not eat potatoes, or corn or anything green or rice.........   It is not a  big deal but drives my other sister nuts that sis caters to him like that.  the guy is 50 years old, stop being so picky and eat what you like, skip the rest.

For me, I'd be sad without the stuffing I'm used to having.  It's a bread stuffing, very simple, in the bird.  No weird things in it (I call it weird).  No meat and no sausage in it.  I've seen that and that would make me sad.  I'd eat the sausage stuffing on any other day, but no don't mess with Thanksgiving stuffing. 

Christmas is another story.  That's the holiday I try out new things.  But Thanksgiving...no don't mess with the meal.

My brother is just like that. He doesn't eat squat. My mom wonders why I don't invite him over for dinner more often. Maybe because I would have to run to Subway halfway through cooking the meal for a plain ham sub on white bread. The poor kid is broke and starving because he can't afford the ten foods he'll willingly eat.

My cousin (31yo) is also picky, so most extended family meals have a frozen cheese pizza for those two.

Oh and a silly one.  I have to have the cranberry jelly in a can.  I've tried homemade, it's not the same.  And I like to see the ridges from the can on the slices.  I only take a very small amount because it has to be eaten in very specific ratio with the stuffing.  This is why I don't go to anyone else's house for Thanksgiving.  They wouldn't get it right. 

LOL

My brother is just like that. He doesn't eat squat. My mom wonders why I don't invite him over for dinner more often. Maybe because I would have to run to Subway halfway through cooking the meal for a plain ham sub on white bread. The poor kid is broke and starving because he can't afford the ten foods he'll willingly eat.

My cousin (31yo) is also picky, so most extended family meals have a frozen cheese pizza for those two.

Ugh...this is my son.  He doesn't eat most of what I make.  And yeah there are about 10 foods he is willing to eat.  It's really difficult.

Ugh...this is my son. He doesn't eat most of what I make. And yeah there are about 10 foods he is willing to eat. It's really difficult.

I do buy my brother packaged food to take every once in a while that he does eat, but 100% of it contains gluten. We are a GF house, so I just can't cook for him. I have a picky eater, but he likes a variety of foods cooked in a very specific way. I think that's almost more frustrating. Rice with parsley and hot sauce, but no other rice. Argh!

Since bil came in the family my sister has started bringing kraft mac n cheese, why......bil will not eat potatoes, or corn or anything green or rice.........   It is not a  big deal but drives my other sister nuts that sis caters to him like that.  the guy is 50 years old, stop being so picky and eat what you like, skip the rest.

I have an uncle or two who only eat certain foods like that. They are eccentric genius types, probably with undiagnosed Aspergers. Why is it a problem to bring an extra dish for him? His own wife is bringing the dish, right? They aren't putting anyone else out. I don't get it. Shouldn't holidays be about being generous, kind, etc? I think it is more weird to be irritated by it.

Over the years, we've spent holidays with lots and lots of people. Everyone has their favorite items. What those items include is *heavily* regional.

I have to have corn bread dressing or I will actually make it after the fact.

I think that anyone married to someone who not only eats Kraft macaroni and cheese, but prefers it to all the things available at a typical Thanksgiving dinner deserves my pity, not my criticism. :)

This year I told the rest of the family that I am making what I want for Thanksgiving and they all can make what they want. Oldest ds and dh will do the potatoes, gravy, and rolls, I'll make lots of pies, middle ds will do the cranberries, and I'll help the youngest make stuffing. We bought a very expensive and not very good ham last year, but I think I might succeed in convincing the family that we need arrachera this year.

I wish my family were willing to branch out on Thanksgiving, but no. Getting them to skip the ham or turkey would be a miracle.

I do buy my brother packaged food to take every once in a while that he does eat, but 100% of it contains gluten. We are a GF house, so I just can't cook for him. I have a picky eater, but he likes a variety of foods cooked in a very specific way. I think that's almost more frustrating. Rice with parsley and hot sauce, but no other rice. Argh!

My son gets specific like that too.  Rice with soy sauce.  And some rice isn't right.  Don't ask me in which configuration.  Only he knows how to get it right.

Drives me crazy.  Although there are some things I make he will eat.  Not many, but some.  Like my pasta and sauce.  He'll eat that.  Eggs...  Most meat so long as it is fairly plain.  No vegetables of any kind.  Some fruits.

Somehow he grows and is healthy so..

My grandma's mashed potatoes. Someone else can do all the work up to adding the milk, butter, and salt, but somehow no one else has been able to get the flavors just right.  Of course Grandma doesn't measure anything so we can't write down the exact measurements to replicate.  I think part of it is that Grandma is the one who made them.  She's 86 and I hope to be just like her one day.

I have started making homemade dressing, but my 25-year-old twin cousins still have to have Stove Top.  They've gotten less picky, but some things don't change.  We also have to have the traditional green bean casserole, but we can add other more interesting vegetable dishes as long as the casserole isn't missing. 

We have a pretty stable menu for TGiving, and it includes some foods from dh's childhood that make me want to hurl.

But I think it's important for my kids to have some traditions from both sides.

Even if his are so very, very wrong.

;)

Oh the sacrafices we make in the name of family traditions and some just because it's for the ones we love the most!

Husband likes green beans in cheese sauce.  We tend to have a four bird roast rather than turkey for Thanksgiving.  I make extra dressing - sage and onion usually.

In the past we have had coq au vin for Christmas, but Husband bought a beautiful piece of beef to roast last year and that went down well.

I guess we are pretty flexible!  We always have Christmas pudding at Christmas, but we don't eat much of it.

L

To me picky is picky, none of my business really, but demanding special food for anything other than health reasons is just plain rude.

He can make his own M&C. Fine. Great. Thanks for helping out!

And he doesn't have to eat what we cook.

But why can't you have what you usually have and just add a dish? Where does "no potatoes" come in?

To me picky is picky, none of my business really, but demanding special food for anything other than health reasons is just plain rude.

He can make his own M&C. Fine. Great. Thanks for helping out!

I didn't read it as demanding them. I read it as his wife bringing them and it annoying the other sister because it wasn't something on her menu.

And he doesn't have to eat what we cook.

I think him not eating what they are cooking is the thing they find irritating?

But why can't you have what you usually have and just add a dish? Where does "no potatoes" come in?

She is referencing a different thread. :)

Oh and a silly one.  I have to have the cranberry jelly in a can.  I've tried homemade, it's not the same.  And I like to see the ridges from the can on the slices.  I only take a very small amount because it has to be eaten in very specific ratio with the stuffing.  This is why I don't go to anyone else's house for Thanksgiving.  They wouldn't get it right. 

LOL

My mother makes the most wonderful homemade cranberry sauce. And DH prefers the canned jello stuff. :confused1:   Maybe you can come over and share a can with him while I snarf down the good stuff.  With my mom's super-special sausage-laden stuffing! :laugh:

My mother makes the most wonderful homemade cranberry sauce. And DH prefers the canned jello stuff. :confused1:   Maybe you can come over and share a can with him while I snarf down the good stuff.  With my mom's super-special sausage-laden stuffing! :laugh:

LOL

My mother took us to her friend's house one year for Thanksgiving.  She had the sausage stuffing.  I was very depressed.  : )

I also prefer to have Thanksgiving at home for the leftovers.  When you go elsewhere you don't get leftovers.  Or you might, but it won't be the ones you want.  Like leftover turkey and gravy.

No potatoes. We've ditched the labor intensive holiday dinner and have stuffed shells, salad, homemade focaccia, and dessert.  

Throughout the fall, we can enjoy those special holiday dishes a little at a time. Bake a chicken and make some stuffing and a sweet potato casserole.   Have a pumpkin pie sometime.   Homemade chunky cranberry sauce goes well with lots of poultry dishes. We like spreading those family recipes throughout the fall season rather than cramming them into one day.  

For me, I'd be sad without the stuffing I'm used to having.  It's a bread stuffing, very simple, in the bird.  No weird things in it (I call it weird).  No meat and no sausage in it.  I've seen that and that would make me sad.  I'd eat the sausage stuffing on any other day, but no don't mess with Thanksgiving stuffing. 

Christmas is another story.  That's the holiday I try out new things.  But Thanksgiving...no don't mess with the meal.

Me, too. Exactly. Gotta have the plain bread stuffing. (And the turkey)

Christmas, Easter, anything goes.

( I would not begrudge anyone their "special" part of the meal. Mac 'n Cheese, whatever. I think it's sad when folks can't or won't try new things--but it's their life. )

LOL

My mother took us to her friend's house one year for Thanksgiving.  She had the sausage stuffing.  I was very depressed.  : )

I also prefer to have Thanksgiving at home for the leftovers.  When you go elsewhere you don't get leftovers.  Or you might, but it won't be the ones you want.  Like leftover turkey and gravy.

Looks like we are of one mind on this thread. LOL

I prefer having T'giving at home, too, bc of the leftover. However, SIL has a SO who doesn't like to be far from his dd (divorce situation)on holidays, so we go to MIL as it's closer. So, sadly, I forgo the leftovers bc I want to be with dh's family (we do xmas with my family as his doesn't keep Christmas). Sometimes I cook a Turkey anyway.

Oh and a silly one. I have to have the cranberry jelly in a can. I've tried homemade, it's not the same. And I like to see the ridges from the can on the slices. I only take a very small amount because it has to be eaten in very specific ratio with the stuffing. This is why I don't go to anyone else's house for Thanksgiving. They wouldn't get it right.

LOL

Yes! I barely eat any of it, but I HAVE to have that circle slice on my plate or it's not Thanksgiving. My MIL got it with chunks in it. :glare:

I would not invite anyone who brought Kraft Mac and Cheese. Seriously.

You would specifically *disinvite* your sister and her husband because he brought mac and cheese? That seems insanely petty to me. I've hosted dozens of people for holidays over the years. People like to have their own special things. Even when we end up with 2 different dressings or homemade cranberry sauce AND canned AND cranberry relish, I'm fine with that. The point of the holiday is to spend time together as a community-friends and/or family.

There's a bit of "if then" logic involved in ours.

If there is to be ham (which I dislike, but it's a go-to if the group surpasses 8-10 people and includes certain ham loving kids), there must be Mac and cheese (homemade, lest anyone wants to indict me for Kraft). I can't serve ham without mac.

If there is mac and cheese, it needs to be baked with a crispy top.

If there is stuffing, it must be bread stuffing and not rice. Shudder.

If there is to be fish, then it needs a certain sauce.

If there is to be a duck, then it needs to be crispy and we need to have Brussels sprouts.

If there is to be a rib roast, there must be a mustard brown sauce, horseradish and a pile of greens.

If there is turkey, there must be homemade cranberry sauce.

Fortunately, I lucked into a group that accepts all of this neurotic logic.

And, there must be pie. It must be homemade, and there needs to be a sweet potato or pumpkin pie, a chocolate cream pie and one or more fruit pies. Come to think of it, I am pretty sure my group accepts my neurotic logic because I bake them pie.

Oh, Christmas dinner is a rib roast.

You would specifically *disinvite* your sister and her husband because he brought mac and cheese? That seems insanely petty to me. I've hosted dozens of people for holidays over the years. People like to have their own special things. Even when we end up with 2 different dressings or homemade cranberry sauce AND canned AND cranberry relish, I'm fine with that. The point of the holiday is to spend time together as a community-friends and/or family.

I agree. Dh has to have homemade cranberry relish bc of an allergy. My mother has to have the kind with chunks. So, we have 2 kinds, no big deal.

My grandfather had to have rutabega. He was the only one who ate it. My grandmother brought it. As long as BIL is saying, "I'm coming but hate turkey so everyone has to eat Mac n Cheese" or "You have to make Mac n Cheese for me" I don't care.

I don't like pie--and shouldn't have it bc of blood sugar issues. I bring pumpkin cheesecake--only SIL's SO and I eat it--but I bring it bc if I made it for my family only I would eat it and that isn't good for me. My MIL says she's making pumpkin pie every year and really makes squash pie so sometimes I also bring a pumpkin pie. The more food the better.

No potatoes. We've ditched the labor intensive holiday dinner and have stuffed shells, salad, homemade focaccia, and dessert.  

Throughout the fall, we can enjoy those special holiday dishes a little at a time. Bake a chicken and make some stuffing and a sweet potato casserole.   Have a pumpkin pie sometime.   Homemade chunky cranberry sauce goes well with lots of poultry dishes. We like spreading those family recipes throughout the fall season rather than cramming them into one day.  

I'm not sure how homemade stuffed shells, focaccia, and dessert are less labor intensive than a traditional turkey dinner?  :huh:

This!

In our family it goes without saying that we have Thanksgiving together. I know it isn't like that for everyone, but even so, it would be so sad to let the food drive people apart.

Frankly, I just can't imagine disinviting my sister (any of them) from Thanksgiving dinner on nearly any basis. But, we lost our baby sister to breast cancer a year and a half ago. She wasn't even 30 when she was diagnosed. I know the whole family would give anything to spend another holiday with her. I cannot fathom being so mean and petty to my sister.

I would not invite anyone who brought Kraft Mac and Cheese. Seriously.

???

I haven't bought boxed mac and cheese, uh, ever. Seriously, never. I still will welcome anyone who I love into my home regardless of the food they eat.

Honestly, anyone that controlling and rigid might end up not having anyone with whom to share any meal.

I'm not sure how homemade stuffed shells, focaccia, and dessert are less labor intensive than a traditional turkey dinner?  :huh:

For me it is. Shells can me made a day or two in advance and then just baked. Takes me about an hour to make them.  The bread gets tossed in the machine and then when the dough is ready I do the rest by hand. Like 5 minutes to roll it, make indentations, and add olive oil and seasonings.  So maybe ten minutes hands on time.   Salad is easy.   Dessert is often a pie made a day in advance. 

For me the difficult part of a holiday dinner is twofold- getting everything done at the same time (and keeping it all hot!) and the clean up. 

But here's probably why we prefer a non-traditional holiday meal: we live 850 miles away from our families, including our oldest two kids and the grandkids. So it's just a meal for four people...this year five with ds's friends spending the holiday with us since it's too far for him to go home to his family.  If we had a large crowd, I'd probably find a large meal easier...especially if I could ask guests to bring something. 

I have no attachments whatsoever to components of holiday meals. I like prawns and ham at Christmas, but I'm not cut up about it if we don't have them.

I've been sick this week and potatoes are the only food I feel like eating. These potato threads have been nice to read :)

I didn't think I did either, but I've been in situations where something was missing and then I realized how much it meant to me.  I mean sure rationally I'm not going to have a nervous breakdown and need therapy over it, but I feel like there are so few "traditions" in my life.  Mashed potatoes with turkey on Thanksgiving is one of them.  And I particularly like Thanksgiving because it's not a religious holiday and it doesn't involve spending too much money on stuff.  So that's my idea of a good time.

I am attached to scalloped oysters. To me, the smell of that is the smell of thanksgiving, and the taste of scalloped oysters is the taste of thanksgiving.

I think it is sweet that your sister honors her husband's preferences, as long as she isn't forcing anyone else to eat that. Of all preferences that are easy to indulge, that has to be the easiest, right? It's a ten minute process to make boxed macaroni and cheese. I hate the stuff, but it isn't much trouble or expense to give him what he likes.

I didn't read it as demanding them. I read it as his wife bringing them and it annoying the other sister because it wasn't something on her menu.

I think him not eating what they are cooking is the thing they find irritating?

She is referencing a different thread. :)

Ah. Well I could not care less whether our guests eat any or all of what we make. We make it as an offering, not a condition for friendship.

As for not inviting people... it is time for The Thanksgiving Letter. If you have not read it, you MUST read it. It is a real e-mail sent by a woman to her family regarding Thanksgiving. Has me laughing out loud every last time.

I'm most definitely with the Amy Misto family.

Looks like we are of one mind on this thread. LOL

I prefer having T'giving at home, too, bc of the leftover. However, SIL has a SO who doesn't like to be far from his dd (divorce situation)on holidays, so we go to MIL as it's closer. So, sadly, I forgo the leftovers bc I want to be with dh's family (we do xmas with my family as his doesn't keep Christmas). Sometimes I cook a Turkey anyway.

I've done that.  Cook a turkey anyway.

I usually stock up on turkeys anyways because that's when they are the cheapest.

Frankly, I just can't imagine disinviting my sister (any of them) from Thanksgiving dinner on nearly any basis. But, we lost our baby sister to breast cancer a year and a half ago. She wasn't even 30 when she was diagnosed. I know the whole family would give anything to spend another holiday with her. I cannot fathom being so mean and petty to my sister.

Agreed. If someone is going to be nasty to the crazy person then we would just change TG to be without rude person rather than be mean to the crazy person. Crazy person probably gets enough crap about it, they don't need it at the holiday table.

Agreed. If someone is going to be nasty to the crazy person then we would just change TG to be without rude person rather than be mean to the crazy person. Crazy person probably gets enough crap about it, they don't need it at the holiday table.

Except in our family, it's crazy *people*. ;) 

I have to have corn bread dressing or I will actually make it after the fact.

This! Me too!

Homemade pumpkin pie.

Homemade cranberry sauce.

Thanksgiving is my favorite dinner. I love almost all variations of the traditional foods, but the dressing and the pie are my favorites.

My life got so much happier when I decided I could make homemade cranberry sauce with a bit of orange peel any time the spirit moved me.  I buy the store out at Thanksgiving and ration them from the freezer for the rest of the year.  

Yeah, little pleasures...   :laugh: