Menu

I had a breast reduction

Mom in High Heels

I'm on drugs, so be warned.  So, on Thurs (Oct 16), I had a breast reduction.  I was barely a B cup when James Bond and I got married, but after the boys came along, the girls just wouldn't stop growing!  I went to spilling out of a DD. I got terrible back pain from the weight.  My doc finally sent me to the plastic surgeon, and he said I was a good candidate for a reduction.  It was such a strange appt.  He was holding my breasts, moving them up and down and drawing photos of breasts on paper.  I tried not to laugh, but I couldn't help it.  I told him he had every teenage boys dream job.  We got to talking about scifi, and it came out that he has never seen Firefly!  Well, I couldn't have anyone operating on me who hasn't seen Firefly.  At my next appt, I brought him the DVD.  He cracked up, but when I saw him at the hospital the day of the surgery, he said he's watched several of them and quite liked them.  Well, that's much better!

So, anyway, the day of the surgery, I got my IV and all that good stuff, and the doc came in to measure me and drew marks and lines all over me.  I asked James Bond if that was weird for him, since he was in the room.  He said "A little bit."  I got my knock out meds and then I remember NOTHING.  They put me under at 11am, my surgery was through by 3pm, and I didn't wake up until 8:30pm, and even then they had to pull me out of it.  I vaguely remember getting home.

The pain isn't that bad, but it's no walk in the park.  I'm trying to manage the pain with the lower pain meds, and stay away from the Oxycontin, but I may have to take one, as every now and then I hurt a lot..  Even though they are all bruised up and a little swollen, I have to say the girls are definitely smaller, and way, way higher, since the did a lift at the same time.  Once I'm healed up, they'll be nice and perky! ;)

I don't regret mine. I remember recovery. It was hard for the first week. We had a recliner that we squeezed into the bedroom and I just stayed in it for a week. I was very frustrated. But yes, I did end up perky. They didn't stay that way though. I also have some light scarring. But I figured that since I wasn't going to pose for any magazines, I didn't mind. :)

Thank you for sharing! I am actually awaiting a consulation appointment for the exact same thing. It's wonderful that you educated a poor, miseducated soul who has never seen Firefly! Was he raised by wolves? :D

I hope you continue to heal quickly! It must be wonderful to have all that weight off your back!

Sorry, my fumble fingers accidentally gave you only four stars! I was trying for five, but tablets are my nemesis. :o

Best wishes for an easy recovery!

Did your surgeon have any idea why the girls keep growing? Is it blamed on estrogen? I am kind of wondering if they would shrink once the body is post menopausal, just like after weaning, but it didnt work that way for my neighbor.

He had no idea why they kept growing, but he said with removing the tissue and rearranging the muscles, they shouldn't grow any more.  I hope not.

Wishing you a speedy, uncomplicated recovery! (Did you save the extra? I could use a little more....) ;)

LOL!  My cousin asked if she could be on the table next to me and have them pump with they took out of me, into her.  She's had 3 kids and is still flat as a pancake.  

I've heard people wake up with a sense that something is missing (excluding the obvious, of course) and that they realize it's the back pain they've gotten so used to. Was that your experience? My sister said she couldn't figure out why she felt weird until she realized that such a familiar pain was gone.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!!

I have had upper back problems for years and just thought about this in the last year or so, but I it may be to late in life now. I bet it feels wonderful! I'm sure bathing suit shopping come spring time will be fun!

Thanks everyone.  Tues and Wed were really rough for some reason, but I'm a little better today.  Of course Tues and Wed could be because I insisted on going to the grocery store with James Bond on Monday, even though JB told me I shouldn't.  I hate it when he's right.  

I've heard people wake up with a sense that something is missing (excluding the obvious, of course) and that they realize it's the back pain they've gotten so used to. Was that your experience? My sister said she couldn't figure out why she felt weird until she realized that such a familiar pain was gone.

No, no sense of loss yet.  I don't really know if it's made the back pain better yet, as I've been on some pretty strong pain killers.  Once I'm off of them, we'll see how it goes.  I'm certainly smaller, now that the swelling has really gone down, and honestly, they're quite perky. ;)  Of course I'll really be able to tell, once the tape and glue are gone.  They didn't use stitches, but glued the skin together (it's a bit puckery still) and covered in waterproof tape,  I think they're either taking the tape off tomorrow or next week.

I'm so glad to hear this went well!  I've been seriously considering it, as I went from a DD before kids to an H after kids.  My back is shot and my shoulders, too.  DH would be terribly sad, but understands :)   I mostly just wanted to wait until I knew I was done with babies, so I could breastfeed them all without worrying about problems. 

Best wishes for smooth book mending :)

I'm so glad to hear this went well!  I've been seriously considering it, as I went from a DD before kids to an H after kids.  My back is shot and my shoulders, too.  DH would be terribly sad, but understands :)   I mostly just wanted to wait until I knew I was done with babies, so I could breastfeed them all without worrying about problems. 

Best wishes for smooth book mending :)

You know what's funny?  Almost every person I saw at the hospital asked me what James Bond thought.  I was like, "Um, what does it matter?  He doesn't have to carry this weight around."  FTR, JB was perfectly fine with it.  He said I should do whatever I needed to to make sure my back was feeling better.  I was definitely done having babies, so that's wasn't even an issue.  

I had a follow up appt today, and they took some of the medical tape off, which HURT.  The tape pulled off the glue fragments and the top layer of skin that had shed.  Ouch!  Other than being bruised to bits, they look quite nice.  There is a weird bit of lumping on the outer edges of both, but they said that should go down, and if not, they'd lipo the extra fat under it, or take some of the skin off.  They would do that in the office, under general anesthetic.  Yikes.  That sounds scary.  Aside from the 2 weird little lumps they are perfectly round, high and lovely.  Yay!  I won't be able to lift anything over 10 lbs until Jan, which sucks, and I can't do any upper body work outs until mid Jan.  Boo.  On the up side though, I can now drive, as long as I don't take my narcotics.  I've had to resort to the OxyContin a few nights, because the pain was pretty high.  I can totally see how people can become addicted to OxyContin.  It makes me feel lovely and so relaxed.  Not like sleepy or buzzed relaxed, but happy relaxed, like nothing can bother you.  KWIM?