What do you think of Luna?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Cute or wacky

• Cute
    • Wacky
    • Neither
    • Ok, but not my style
    • Other. Please explain.

With Harry Potter being so popular and widely read, there's no way I would name a child "Luna." Nope, nope, nope.

It isn't a bad-sounding name, but its being the name of a character in Harry Potter, especially a character who is called "Loony" by her classmates and deserves it, would make it a terrible burden.

I think of Belinda Carlisle's song La Luna especially the chorus

"Ah La Luna La Luna

The night that we fell under the spell of the moon

Ah La Luna La Luna

The light that will being me back to you

The light of La Luna"

Awww, I LOVED that song. Had totally forgot that one. Thanks for bringing it back to memory. It's such a pretty song.

I voted for "cute" but I also think it's a little wacky (which isn't really a bad thing, in my opinion).  I like the name.  I don't know if you realize this or if anyone else has said it already, but there is a wacky character in Harry Potter with this name...which is probably why "wacky" goes well with it for me. :)

What are your other options?

I don't know.

We won't talk about names until birth is imminent. I want to have a very short list ready when D is ready to talk. If I throw a lot of names at him, we won't get anywhere. We've been through this a couple of times. We always settle on something I don't like very much. I don't want that. 

Middle name would be Amelia, after my mother. 

I'm considering :

Luna

Alina

Lyra 

Verity

Nothing is jumping out at me. I'm even on the fence about these names. They are unusual, and I'm taking them for a test run in a safe, anonymous place :)

I don't know.

We won't talk about names until birth is imminent. I want to have a very short list ready when D is ready to talk. If I throw a lot of names at him, we won't get anywhere. We've been through this a couple of times. We always settle on something I don't like very much. I don't want that. 

I'm considering :

Luna

Alina

Lyra 

Verity

Nothing is jumping out at me. I'm even on the fence about these names. They are unusual, and I'm taking them for a test run in a safe, anonymous place :)

I like Verity Amelia.

L

I like Luna. I think it could sound like a fine adult name -it has a permanence to it. I'm sitting in a college classroom with a bunch of 18-20 year olds with names that aren't too far from that. 

Kids can make nicknames (good and bad) out of any name, that wouldn't be a basis for picking a name. 

I agree, I would watch Harry Potter so you understand the reference. 

Jack,  in the sitcom 30 Rock ;), has strong opinions on this. If it doesn't sound like a good name for a president, skip it. President Brandy? 

I have similar rules.  I didn't aim as high - It was the CEO of a major corporation. :D

there are some awful names out there . . . . .

I think the name itself is nice, but it is likely to invite reactions I would not want to invite.

Kinda like when I decided against my first choice of name because it would result in my daughter having the initials ASS.  Just thinking ahead a bit .... ;)

A friend of mine had always had the name Preston in mind for a boy. Her husband adamantly vetoed it. He'd grown up with the initials TP and there was no way a son of his was going to be PP.

I don't know.

I'm considering :

Luna

Alina

Lyra 

Verity

I like Lyra Amelia.  :)

I don't know.

We won't talk about names until birth is imminent. I want to have a very short list ready when D is ready to talk. If I throw a lot of names at him, we won't get anywhere. We've been through this a couple of times. We always settle on something I don't like very much. I don't want that.

I'm considering :

Luna

Alina

Lyra

Verity

I like Alina, but not with Amelia.

Would Lyra be pronounced LIE-ruh or LEER-a?

I think Verity, out of all listed options, goes best with Amelia.

I'm due next Thursday with a little girl, and we're planning on naming her Verity!  We have all Bible/virtue names, but with this being our 10th kid, and we don't repeat initials, we were running low on ideas.  We had a friend several years ago who was originally from Great Britain, and she had a daughter named Verity.  And since we focus a lot on Latin in our homeschool, and I'm even teaching a Henle course this year and next, it seemed perfect!  So obviously that is my vote out of your choices, lol.    :)

I don't know.

I'm considering :

Luna

Alina

Lyra 

Verity

I love all of those. I also like Juniper.

I like it and have known a couple Lunas in my time, but they are all older.  Due to Harry Potter, it is a bit iconic these days. Everyone is going to assume you are a big Harry Potter fan, which is fine. I know I am, lol.

eta: LOVE LOVE Verity! Love it!  Full stop, that is the one I would pick, hands down over Luna. I really like Luna as well, just the HP overwhelms it

I like it. It isn't on my list of names but I think it is a nice name. I met a little Luna and no one who was introduced to her had anything negative to say. It is a bit hippyish but that is fine. It isn't that unusual and it is kind of silly to think of things that rhyme with it. There are plenty of good names that have funny things that rhyme with it.

I really like Amelia! In my opinion, that middle name would sound better with a name that doesn't end in -a so you don't have a double schwa sound—almost like uh-uh (e.g., Luna Amelia).

I was thinking the same thing. With one name ending an -a and the next one beginning with the same sound, it sounds awkward when you say it out loud.

I would pronounce it LEE ruh, but I wouldn't correct anyone who said LIE ruh. Or whatever. I'm not touchy about that.

See how people are still wondering how to pronounce Lyra? ;) :D

One of my friends named her dd one of those "more than one way to pronounce it" names, and while she doesn't mind if people mess it up, her dd gets very upset about it when people don't say it the "right" way. So even though you won't care one way or the other, your dd might care very much.

That said, if your dh had the most influence over what names you chose for your other kids, I think you should demand final veto rights this time around. Why shouldn't you get to choose a name you really love??? I don't think you should have to settle on a name you're not crazy about.

Both? I assume that everyone will think of Luna Lovegood, but since Luna Lovegood is clearly the best character in Harry Potter, then that's not bad.

I thought Neville was the best? Falls short, always screws up, but still has the courage to do what's right. I'm going to have to think about this...

Honestly, if you're considering it as a name... I would take the time to at least watch some of the movies with this character in it. Not because they're awesome movies, but because people will INSTANTLY associate the name with the character and you may want to know exactly what that means for how it may cause her to be perceived.

Our dd shares a nickname with a well-known movie character. Every female babysitter we have has said, "Oh, you mean like [movie character name]."

Yes, but that's not why we gave her that nickname.

Her full name passes the prime minister test ;)