Menu

beginning reading age

3rugrats

3 and 4

With my oldest, he was just a spontaneous reader.  My youngest had a couple years of speech therapy where many sounds were over emphasied.  C, C, C-aaaa-ttttt, if we were trying to coach the "c" sound.  It sure made cvc words a breeze, once she could make the sounds.

Since I did Spalding, I wouldn't be able to tell you when my dd began reading cvc words. :-)

However, I did start doing Spalding with her when she was 5 or 6--I forget, 'cuz that was almost 30 years ago, lol--but that little dickens resisted me at every step, and she was not reading at her age level until she was 9 1/2yo.

Apparently, that was not a problem as she started taking classes at the community college when she was 14 and tested into college level in reading and writing.

4 for my oldest three kids (girl, boy, and girl) but they all knew their letters by the time they turned 2. I don't know how or why because all we did was read and point out letters we saw when we were out and about. My newly 3 year old is nowhere near ready despite doing the same stuff so I'm fairly sure he'll be a later reader.

My DS was 6.75 - (he's only 7 now - we are excited about this development!).  He needed a focused, intensive phonics reading program. But hearing him sound out  "n--u---t; n-u-t; NUT!" is music to my ears! I am one proud mama. We keep "reading practice" short, sweet, and slow and steady here! 

My eldest was 2.5 and my youngest was 3 - the eldest knew her letter sounds by 18 months and started blending at 2.5. The youngest knew the letters sounds at 2.5 and was blending by 3 - both without formal lessons, however after the blending started I did have to add in phonics to make sure they knew how to blend more than single sounds (sh - is not s-h as they were trying to do).

About 4. Some a little earlier (old 3), some nearly 5. Oldest took to it quickly and furiously. Second oldest has been a very plodding and steady path. Third is still working on becoming more fluent so we'll see with her.

My fourth child is actually beginning to blend words at just-turned-3 a lot like my oldest. I could begin teaching him now, but I'm in no run and I'm busy so he is happy with what he's got.

Oldest could sound out some words at 3 and could read chapter books before her fifth birthday.

Second couldn't really sound out words until after 6 and wasn't a fluent reader until 7. However, he's a happier reader and enjoys it more than his sister.

Third is going to be next month and is just starting to sound out cvc words. He knows several sight words too.

They're all different, just like they are with walking and talking.

Oh my goodness, you all have some early readers!! 

these were my thoughts!! I am the OP :)

My DD read at 3.5, and I know that was early, but my DS (5.5) still struggles w/ identifying all the letter sounds. Today we worked on some CVC words, and it was pretty painful...for both of us. He's just not ready, and I'm OK w/ that. I'm not terribly anxious about the whole thing, I guess I just wanted to know what some others have experienced w/ their boys. Now, if he's six and we're at this same point, I might start getting a little antsy, but I know 6 is still in the norm. 

mwahahahaha

somewhere between 8 & 10.

YEARS

yup. We were those people.

I'm posting because odds are SOMEONE is reading this thread & has a kid that age who's not reading & I'm here to tell ya - this too shall pass & you too will be griping one day about your kid staying up till past 2 am because they're reading 'such a great book'.

Late 3. My DS4 came to the U.S. when he was early 3yo and spoke no English then. He picked up the alphabets and letter sounds by watching the Leapfrog dvds. Soon he found a great interest in writing down some random cvc words on his magnetic drawing board and reading them on his own. We started our first phonics lesson two months before his 4th birthday.

My younger DD2.5 is receiving an early intervention service due to speech delay. Her communication and fine mortor skills are behind her peers' but she has been able to recognize and say all of the alphabets, letter sounds and numbers 0 to 20 since she turned 2. She recently started to sound out a few cvc words but I don't think she's ready for any formal learning yet.

oldest was reading cvc words at 5 and then regressed when he went to school. We started back at simple words when I brought him home for grade 2. He moved forward pretty quickly though and is now reading well above grade level.

dd started reading cvc words at 4. She asked to learn so I started teaching her.

youngest ds started reading on his own when we was 2 1/2. I have no idea whether to say that's when he was reading cvc words or not. He suddenly started reading the signs for us.