Menu

Positive thoughts, Prayer request for my BIL

kitten18

About 7 weeks ago my BIL fell while getting out of his tractor and hit his head.  At the E.R. he was diagnosed with a mild concussion and after a few days he felt fine.  Until the last few days, he has been feeling weak and finally in the last couple days he's had severe weakness in his left leg.

Sister took him to the E.R. today and an CT scan showed a subdural hematoma.  The put him on a medical flight to a bigger hospital and he should be seeing a neurosurgeon soon.  We think they will be drilling holes to drain the blood.

My BIL has been in my life since I was 3 years old, he is truly like a brother to me.  Since my Dad died 7 years ago, he has treated my kids like one of his own grandkids.  He's one of the most wonderful men I have ever known.

Please keep Roger in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers!  :grouphug:

Roger saw the surgeon last night.  Sometime today, between Noon and 3:00 they're going to do the surgery.  They will be drilling two small holes, cleaning out the blood, and putting in drain tubes that will stay in there for a couple days.  If things go well, he could go home by Friday.

The surgeon said that the blood had probably been just a tiny little drip after his concussion and it had eventually built up enough to cause symptoms.  The blood had eventually pushed his brain over by 3cm and that is why he couldn't use his left leg.

Thanks again. 

I will update after the surgery.

Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers.

Roger had surgery this afternoon, the surgeon said it went well.

He has had a bit of a set-back. When he was in recovery, his left side wasn't responding like they wanted so they did another scan and it showed a small bleed. They took him back to surgery and got the bleeding stopped.

There's several possible reasons for the bleeding, could have been where they drilled the bore holes, from the irrigation, or the hematoma could have been like a scab and bled a little when it was removed.

He was supposed to go back to his room tonight but they're going to keep him in icu overnight.

So, please continue to pray for Roger.

Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers.

Roger had surgery this afternoon, the surgeon said it went well.

He has had a bit of a set-back. When he was in recovery, his left side wasn't responding like they wanted so they did another scan and it showed a small bleed. They took him back to surgery and got the bleeding stopped.

There's several possible reasons for the bleeding, could have been where they drilled the bore holes, from the irrigation, or the hematoma could have been like a scab and bled a little when it was removed.

He was supposed to go back to his room tonight but they're going to keep him in icu overnight.

So, please continue to pray for Roger.

Thank you for the update. Although I'm sure it was very frightening, maybe the small setback will end up being a blessing, as after such serious surgery, it seems sensible that he should be kept in ICU overnight. At least you know they will keep a close eye on him while he's there.

Any surgery relating to the brain is always so scary, even when you know the doctors are excellent and they have done hundreds of similar procedures successfully.

Praying for a quick and complete recovery! :grouphug: