Menu

s/o...Americans, what percentage of your net monthly income goes to food.

Ann.without.an.e

What percentage of your monthly income goes to food?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What % of your monthly income goes to food (groceries, eating out, anything food related)

• 0-5%
    • 6-10%
    • 11-15%
    • 16-20%
    • 21-25%
    • 25-30%
    • 31-35%
    • 35-40%
    • 41% or higher

I guess Americans are viewed as spending very little on food.  I wonder how true the assumption is?

I am seriously curious about this :D  Just humor me.

NET - as in "after taxes" and not after retirement, charity contributions, etc.  Whatever you have to spend after taxes are taken out, not the additions that aren't required.

Please don't vote if you have no idea.  I had a friend once tell me that they eat organic for $400 or less for her family of 5.  I questioned her on it and she admitted that she had no clue, but that she spent around $100/week at the grocery.  She wasn't including co-op food, farmer's market, or local farmer pick ups, etc.   

Net or gross?

And if it's net, define net. After taxes only, or after other things deducted from paycheck such as health insurance, 401k and contributions to charity?  ( dh's employer still has a program to donate to charities from his salary)

There can be a large difference between gross and net!    

It changes our numbers:

9% spent on all food if compared to gross

14% spent on all food if compared to net (taking out everything I listed above)

I didn't vote because I'm Canadian.  For a family of 6, we're spending $249/week av. in the last 52 weeks.  That's about 25%.  Way off US figures.  Hmm.

I wondered about rolling Canadians into this poll, but I have no clue how ya;ll are viewed in food spending in comparison to Americans.  I have a feeling that the US poll will be all over the place.  There are super cheap food options in the US because we allow so much crap in food that other nations (including all of Europe) simply don't allow (like GMOs, etc).  If you don't eat the cheap, crap food the cost goes up substantially.

ETA:  I am not saying that you eat bad if your percentage is low.  It might be that you have a higher income for the amount of people in your family, etc.

Right at 10% of gross, 15% of net (using your definition of after taxes but before 401k and insurance deductions). However, that includes dining out, food, toiletries and paper goods. I pay for it all in the same grocery store trips so there is no way to separate it out. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the paper/toiletries is 25% of the non-dining out portion of the food budget. Dining out is actually a separate line item in our budget, but I added it in for the percentages.

I do think Americans spend a smaller percentage on food that most people in the world are able to.  Yes, Americans' costs are higher, but US salaries are often way higher, and food is relatively cheap in the US.  Even at our very poorest on a very tight budget, we still were spending less than 20% of our disposable income on food.  Most people in Kyrgyzstan would be delighted to have food take only 20% of their income.

I wondered about rolling Canadians into this poll, but I have no clue how ya;ll are viewed in food spending in comparison to Americans.  I have a feeling that the US poll will be all over the place.  There are super cheap food options in the US because we allow so much crap in food that other nations (including all of Europe) simply don't allow (like GMOs, etc).  If you don't eat the cheap, crap food the cost goes up substantially.

I'm not so quick to declare that people who spend low amounts for groceries are buying cheap, crap food.  There are lots of areas where food costs are low, and people who are able to buy locally grown foods for a good price. Additionally, people who eat seasonally can easily spend less than someone who doesn't. 

Our food costs are reasonable partly because we have no special dietary needs and because we eat seasonally, preserve food in season to eat during winter, and buy local meats and veggies.   

I knew we spent a good bit, but I'd never paid that much attention to the specifics.  I did now.

I'm defining net income as the total amount of our paychecks that are actually deposited into the checking account, before we spend/allocate it anywhere else.  Note that health insurance premiums, 401(k) contributions, and automatic savings account deposits have already been removed before the money goes into the checking account, so this is basically our working cash.

26% of our net income goes to a master category we call "Everyday Expenses".  That category is further broken down into the following categories:

• Groceries/Household Items
  • Restaurants
  • Clothing
  • Entertainment
  • Beauty (hair/nails/skincare....that sort of thing)
  • Gas
  • "Mad Money"....money for DH and I to spend on whatever we feel, without having to track in individual accounts.  It's a small amount of money
  • The Dreaded Miscellaneous...basically, stuff we completely forgot about but that doesn't make sense to create its own category for.  Also a small amount

Of that total, Groceries are 42% and Restaurants are 29%, or 71% total.  So, 71% of 26% =  18.4% of total net income spent on groceries and restaurants.

Disclaimer:  We do include household items that we buy at the grocery store in the Grocery budget, so cleaning supplies, vitamins, that bottle of Advil....whatever it is you may pick up at the grocery store.  Pet food and supplies are also shoved in that category, so we could probably subtract a percent or two.  

Does that sound right?  Somebody keep me honest and make sure my math is right.

We budget $1000/month but usually go a little over. I put 21-25% but that also includes eating out. We live in a VERY high col area and eat a lot of organic, we try to buy in bulk when we can and we also order beef through a co-op in bulk. It is definitely something I look forward to as far as moving goes. I spend relatively little on household goods because I make many of them and we don't use paper towels or napkins, so it's mostly just tp.

I'm not so quick to declare that people who spend low amounts for groceries are buying cheap, crap food.  There are lots of areas where food costs are low, and people who are able to buy locally grown foods for a good price. Additionally, people who eat seasonally can easily spend less than someone who doesn't. 

Our food costs are reasonable partly because we have no special dietary needs and because we eat seasonally, preserve food in season to eat during winter, and buy local meats and veggies.   

no, that is not the assumption, but in general Americans can choose to eat much cheaper because some of the food options that are available.  I have extended family who live primarily on top ramen, hotdogs, and dollar restaurants.  If you are higher income then your food percentage will be lower and it doesn't mean that you are eating crap to get it low.  It just depends on your income really.

I knew we spent a good bit, but I'd never paid that much attention to the specifics.  I did now.

I'm defining net income as the total amount of our paychecks that are actually deposited into the checking account, before we spend/allocate it anywhere else.  Note that health insurance premiums, 401(k) contributions, and automatic savings account deposits have already been removed before the money goes into the checking account, so this is basically our working cash.

26% of our net income goes to a master category we call "Everyday Expenses".  That category is further broken down into the following categories:

• Groceries/Household Items
  • Restaurants
  • Clothing
  • Entertainment
  • Beauty (hair/nails/skincare....that sort of thing)
  • Gas
  • "Mad Money"....money for DH and I to spend on whatever we feel, without having to track in individual accounts.  It's a small amount of money
  • The Dreaded Miscellaneous...basically, stuff we completely forgot about but that doesn't make sense to create its own category for.  Also a small amount

Of that total, Groceries are 42% and Restaurants are 29%, or 71% total.  So, 71% of 26% =  18.4% of total net income spent on groceries and restaurants.

Disclaimer:  We do include household items that we buy at the grocery store in the Grocery budget, so cleaning supplies, vitamins, that bottle of Advil....whatever it is you may pick up at the grocery store.  Pet food and supplies are also shoved in that category, so we could probably subtract a percent or two.  

Does that sound right?  Somebody keep me honest and make sure my math is right.

Your math is probably right, but I would include the amounts you have automatically deducted for 401K and savings in your net when making your calculations.  Those are things you choose to do with your disposable income.  We don't have anything going into savings, and when times are extra tight we cut out the 401K contributions.  For comparison purposes that needs to be included in net.

Your math is probably right, but I would include the amounts you have automatically deducted for 401K and savings in your net when making your calculations.  Those are things you choose to do with your disposable income.  We don't have anything going into savings, and when times are extra tight we cut out the 401K contributions.  For comparison purposes that needs to be included in net.

Probably, but that's way too much work for me.   :lol:

I don't track those things in my working budget.  So, then, if you add those things back in, then the percentage will be a bit lower.  

Percentages aren't really going to give you a good idea. Some have large incomes and spend what some would consider a lot but ends up being a small percentage and some have small incomes and spend a high percentage.

I know. All polls are faulty like that ;). I keep seeing figures regarding the percentage of income though so I went with that.

~25.3%  We are not high income but upper lower class. We spend more than we can afford on food, less than what a lot on here state as spending, but a high percentage of our income.  Even then, we eat a lot of cheap low-quality foods and very little fresh or organic because we can't afford it.

Additionally, people who eat seasonally can easily spend less than someone who doesn't.

I think eating seasonally and shopping weekly specials is the key for us. I rarely buy things that are not on sale. And I get great things on sale -- not cheap, low-grade stuff. We don't eat all-organic, but we eat lots of veggies from the Farmer's Market, and better quality healthy meats and fish. We do eat some processed stuff and some convenience foods, but mostly we eat pretty well, because I buy what's in season and what's on special.

I know exactly because I was feeling that I could do better. I did the math and it's 8% net . That's not nearly as bad as I thought and much better than most. We are very lucky to be able to buy good food and mostly from locals. ETA: I did not factor in eating out. We do not eat out lots, although we do. I agree with those who get this is not a fair assessment. The more money you make the smaller your percentage. So spending a greater percentage of your income on food does not mean you're not careful, frugal , or eating garbage. Poorer people are screwed everywhichway.

ETA:  I am not saying that you eat bad if your percentage is low.  It might be that you have a higher income for the amount of people in your family, etc.

I'm not sure of our percentage, but we have a modest income, and spend very little, because I cook inexpensive, healthy foods from scratch. We eat lots of fruit and veg, grains, beans, potatoes, homemade bread. Very little crappy food. Very little meat and dairy.

I just went shopping today and bought more prepared and convenience foods (we call it pregnancy food, because I have a hard time cooking and eating real food). I am spending WAY more than usual on the cheapest packaged foods than I usually do on whole foods.

I wouldn't assume that junk is cheaper than wholesome foods, or that a family who eats healthy is rolling in it.

We live in a heavily agricultural area and can eat organic fruits and veggies preetty cheaply. We buy an organic quarter beef (120 lbs of beef plus the weight of bone) for 480.00 each autumn. Even fish such as tilapia is only a dollar per serving. On top of that, we have a huge garden with my parents and we can, freeze, and dehydrate probably 3000 or so servings of veggies and fruits every harvest for a lot of hardwork but negligible money.

So really 10 - 15% of net and that includes some pizza for the rocket team occasionally and a couple of date nights a month fornus with unsweetened ice tea from Mcd's when I'm running errands or Tim Horton's coffee when I am in the city. Oh and tp, parchement paper, canning lids, garbage bags, and kleenex comes out of that as well.

Good food is very cheap here. Empty calories is of course bizarrely cheap.

What do you mean with "not the additions that aren't required"?  I just want to be sure I know what you mean with that before answering.

Some have retirement or charity taken out.  I was thinking (income - taxes) because not everyone puts into retirement.

Ok so just taxes, or also medical, dental, vision, and life?

Sorry to be so dense. 

Just taxes because not everyone pays medical, vision, dental, or life.  Some do not pay that out of their checks, are without insurance, or are on government medical, etc.

I'm not sure of our percentage, but we have a modest income, and spend very little, because I cook inexpensive, healthy foods from scratch. We eat lots of fruit and veg, grains, beans, potatoes, homemade bread. Very little crappy food. Very little meat and dairy.

I just went shopping today and bought more prepared and convenience foods (we call it pregnancy food, because I have a hard time cooking and eating real food). I am spending WAY more than usual on the cheapest packaged foods than I usually do on whole foods.

I wouldn't assume that junk is cheaper than wholesome foods, or that a family who eats healthy is rolling in it.

I've had the same experience with buying "cheap" convenience foods.  We couldn't afford them for a long time and ate homemade food that was less expensive  But it took a lot of time that isn't available to many people on small incomes, and it takes some skill and knowledge. Also, I like to cook, and that makes a huge difference too.

One person's wholesome is another person's crap. I am not calling your food crappy, in fact it sounds like we eat somewhat similarly but for many people grains and legume based diets are not a good idea.

Hmm.. I was trying to follow the suggestions but it got complicated, so I just decided to look at our net paychecks. That's after everything, including retirement, is taken out.

Groceries about 16% and that includes non-food items like OTC meds, TP, etc.

Eating out about 8% (we eat out twice a week)

LOL

Reminds me of some of the weeks we were heavy into moving and renovating.  One shopping trip was truly loads of crap by anyone's standards.  I was so embarrassed I felt the need to explain myself to the cashier.  LOL

I used to feel that way, but we shop at Walmart and I see carts that are much worse than mine!

LOL

Reminds me of some of the weeks we were heavy into moving and renovating.  One shopping trip was truly loads of crap by anyone's standards.  I was so embarrassed I felt the need to explain myself to the cashier.  LOL

I used to feel that way, but we shop at Walmart and I see carts that are much worse than mine!

Oh no. Not the shopping cart analysis! Anything but that!

:p

It could always be worse.  There was a lady in front of me one time who had tons and tons of crap food.  Sodas, boxed meals, etc and she had a few cartons of cigarrettes and then she had....wait for it....a bag of organic lettuce and a bag of organic carrots (her only fruits/veggies).  As she was putting them on the belt she looked at me and said, "I try to avoid pesticides".   :banghead:

no, that is not the assumption, but in general Americans can choose to eat much cheaper because some of the food options that are available.  I have extended family who live primarily on top ramen, hotdogs, and dollar restaurants.  If you are higher income then your food percentage will be lower and it doesn't mean that you are eating crap to get it low.  It just depends on your income really.

Yeah, there's a lot of variation to how you spend your grocery dollars and what things cost.  I could get us down a lot, if we gave up most meat and ate primarily grains (because no matter how you slice it, rice and pasta are cheap and filling).  But we choose to eat better and are fortunate enough to be able to do it.  I wish we could eat only farm raised, organic meat, but that's just not in the budget for us now, or in the forseeable future (though there is some discussion of a piggy coming to live with us, for a season).

Right now in the fridge are the leftovers of the last of the frozen turkeys I bought back in Nov.  I *think* I paid $.69/lb for those.  :hurray:

One person's wholesome is another person's crap. I am not calling your food crappy, in fact it sounds like we eat somewhat similarly but for many people grains and legume based diets are not a good idea.

It wouldn't work for everyone, but it isn't pop tarts and hamburger helper, either. My point wasn't that we eat the ideal diet, it's that real food can be cheap, too. Sometimes cheaper than low quality boxed food.