Menu

Suggestions for teen/family board games

sheryl

DD made a point the other day that we haven't bought board games in a while.  She's right.  So, I asked one of her friend's (my friend's son) for a recommendation.  He's 18 and suggested Blokus.  I have never heard of this one.  DD and I went to Walmart and there we find these classics with a few new ones. 

Need interactive and fun game to be played by mid-teens to adults.  Which one of these would you recommend?  Do you have any other ideas? 

Quelf Obey The Card   adult

Apples to Apples Junior 9+

Cranium  ages 16+

Clue The Classic Mystery Game  ages 8+

Blokus  family ages 7+

Trivial Pursuit Party ages 16+

Of those listed, we like Blokus (don't own it, but have played it); my teens enjoy Quelf, but the adults find it very annoying; we've enjoyed Cranium; the rest are less interesting to me.

We do enjoy Settlers of Catan, though don't play it often.

We just discovered Munchkin, and its many expansions & versions, and we all enjoy it. 

Apples to Apples is a lot of fun but it's more like a party game.  With teens and adults buy the regular version ... not junior.

A few of these have been mentioned earlier but we love:

Carcassone

Ticket to Ride

Bohnanza

Stone Age

Blokus (only really plays with four people)

We love Munchkin and Catan.  Also, Fluxx is a great game.  We just got a game called Takenoko for my dd's birthday and that is really fun.  It says 13+, but my 10 year old is doing well with it, but fun for adults too.

There is an online board game show called tabletop.  Actually, all the above games are played in an episode and many more.  It's a good place to watch game play to see if it's of interest.  The show is comedic and rated PG-13+ as a warning though.  The extended versions tend to be even more inappropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4F80C7D2DC8D9B6C

Fluxx is a card game, but it's fun because the rules change every time anyone takes a turn. 

Settlers is definitely for teens and adults. My son and husband like it, but I just tolerate it. I don't really get the appeal. 

We've gone old school lately and have been really into Yahtzee. We play the regular game, but we also throw in all manner of dorky variations (you get one roll instead of three; you get three rolls but have to declare what you're going for after the first; three rolls, but you declare before the first...that sort of thing).

A second vote for  Fluxx  or one of its variations:

A few other favorites include:

Quarto

Iota

SET

Bananagrams

My teen and her friends loved Save the Whales (a co-operative game).

The Game of Things

Our favorite game to play with company (with all players aged ten and up) is Wise and Otherwise

My teen enjoyed playing Loot with her friends.

Regards,

Kareni

Ticket to Ride - different versions - gets played the most around here

Clue Mystery - we own about 8 or 9 different versions - these are played the 2nd most

Whoonu is my favorite game of all time.

And cards.  We love cards. 

We love games. I have 2 cabinets full.  But those 3 above are the most played.

SET is a really good game.  Beware - teens and young adults tend to be more flexible in their thinking (or something like that) and may be VERY good at it.   I've found the game is good with tweens/teens/adults who are flexible thinkers.  The older a person gets, and the more rigid/less creative a person is, the less likely they are to be able to keep up and play.

I must admit, we're kind of obsessed with Settlers of Catan.  It's almost the only game we play nowadays.

That, and the card game "Up and Down the River," also known as "Oh Heck" (or worse!).  There are MANY versions.  Here are the rules according to Wikipedia:  (Sorry about the name they list!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh_Hell

The rules make it sound so much more complicated than it really is!

SET is a really good game.  Beware - teens and young adults tend to be more flexible in their thinking (or something like that) and may be VERY good at it.   I've found the game is good with tweens/teens/adults who are flexible thinkers.  The older a person gets, and the more rigid/less creative a person is, the less likely they are to be able to keep up and play.

When DD was 4 years old we played this game with her and she wiped the floor with us.  DH and I are both engineers so patterns/math are strengths of ours.  

Thanks.  Good for adults too?  So, she can play with her friends and other times dh, dd and I can play?  Or is it to young for dh and I? LOL!

Oh, no! I love Catan, and I'm generally not a huge fan of board games. (The thought of Monopoly makes me cringe.)  But I really get into Catan, and I play to win no matter how old my opponents are. :coolgleamA:

Qwirkle is a favorite here. We bought 2 so the game would last longer.

Ds recently took Qwirkle to game night with the guys--19-25yos--and they found they all liked it a lot. So much so that the host's parents bought one too. Catan is another of the guys' favorites.

Go to boardgamegeek.com and dicetower.com. They will have many lesser known suggestions for you. First, decide what category of game you would like - word, party, strategy, card, abstract, cooperative, etc, and then look over the reviews.

Mid teens are ready for more complex games. Catan is great but can be too long. I agree with ticket to ride, forbidden island, Stone Age. I'll add in Pandemic, Survive- Escape from Atlantis, King of Tokyo, and For Sale.

Our new favorite is Tenzi. It's a dice game, not a board game, but is so much fun! Each player has ten dice and the goal is to get all of your dice to the same number. It's a race and when you get that, you yell "Tenzi!" There are variations of how to play.

You can buy it on amazon or go the cheap way like me and buy lots of dice at the dollar store. :-)

Balderdash is fun and also Say Anything (there's a family and an adult version that would probably be fine for teens and up).  We like games like that where you can be a little silly and create your own answers.

Also, I'll just put in a plug for We Didn't Playtest This At All, which takes like five minutes to play and is completely bizarre and hilarious every time.  Also, it's very cheap.

How long do you want to play? 

How do your teens feel about aggressive head-to-head competition (what I means is games where you can hurt each other vs. cooperative games)?

How many people would you like to play at one time? 

This is a fairly common topic. I remember this thread recently looking for games for teens who like Apples to Apples. Many of the suggestions are good for light, party-type games. From your list, I like Blokus.

I agree with a lot of the suggestions above. 

Bohnanza...simple card game where you spend a lot of time negotiating and trading with others, lots of players can play, and there's no waiting because every turn could be useful to you.

Sushi Go!...simple card game with cute anime art where you make sets of sushi. With each turn you choose one card and pass the rest to the left. Everyone does the same. The winner is the player with the best sets of sushi after 3 rounds. 

Archaeology...simple card game where you collect sets of treasure and sell them to a museum before sandstorms destroy your work. You can also discover a pyramid by following maps and trade your treasures in the marketplace. 

Pandemic...a cooperative game where you try to save the world from disease by curing outbreaks and collecting research for a cure. This designer also made 2 other cooperative adventure games (collecting treasure or other objects) using the same mechanic. They're easier to play (and win). Forbidden Island. Forbidden Desert

Dixit...has really beautiful cards and is great for developing the skill of abstracting (you have to pick something from the card and say something which will make some people--but not all--realize its your card, then everyone else chooses a card which most closely matches what you said and everyone tries to figure out which is yours). The artworks is unusual and this can be quite funny. 

Dominion...a card game where you use money to buy actions, land, more money. After you use it you shuffle it back in your deck and continue reusing it. The person with the most land at the end wins. 

Escape: Curse of the Temple...real time game where players are rolling dice to explore a temple to find the exit. It comes with a CD/MP3 track. It's only 15 minutes but it can be nerve-wracking! Everyone plays cooperatively so if you get stuck someone can come rescue you but it gets really crazy. 

Stone Age...great game where you build the civilization of a stone age tribe. Hunt, collect resources, build tools and buildings, have babies, farm. Lots of interesting choices. 

Most of these games can accommodate larger groups (not Escape or Stone Age), but for lighter party games Wise and Otherwise, Crappy Birthday or Faux-cabulary would work with teens who may not generally play board games. 

All links go to Boardgamegeek.com to the pages of the individual games. You'll find videos, reviews, question and answer forums, and links to places you can buy them on their pages. 

For people interested in more game suggestions or game reviews, there is as group here on WTM called The Gamer's Table. There are some discussions called I Just Played and I Just Played 2014. Lots of reviews in there. Feel free to post!

Another vote for Bohnanza and Carcassone, with Bohnanza being my absolute favorite. I agree that you should definitely use the normal, not junior, version of Apples to Apples. 

OP, I'd say that Clue is better for a younger crowd. Trivial Pursuit is definitely aimed for teen to adult, so it might work well.

A couple more to try:

RoboRally - use directional cards to plan the route your robots will take, then all of the robots move (sometimes throwing each other off track, or even off the board). This one is great for teens and adults. Keeps you thinking, and despite being a bit long, the pace of the game is good.

Quiddler - word card game - I love it, but only with a crowd that's not likely to challenge every word. Then it takes too long.

WOWSER!   My dd and I read all of these replies and like ALL.OF.THEM!  

Thanks for the suggestions!   These are GREAT!  I'm going to research these ideas and links. 

I'm a little irritated at each one of you though....my husband will not appreciate the credit card bill!  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :laugh:

Let me add here b/c I forgot earlier - we do have Quiddler (love this), Bananagrams and Uno.   We like each one and play them often.  We just need more of a mix now with card and board games. 

To answer a pp - we're interested in getting card and board games that are winners with teens to adults.  Yes, cooperative is good.  Head to head demolition :)  what does that mean? 

Head to head competition...I mean games where you actively work against each other and take away each other's items and inhibit each others progress. More like a fight and less like a race. Some people really enjoy this. Others really dislike it. Some like it in small doses as long as its not vindictive. 

I'm okay with some direct competition. I can play Survive: Escape from Atlantis! a game where you try float your little guys off Atlantis but other people are upsetting your boats and making sea monsters eat them. It's just silly. I don't really do well in war games or games of intrigue where people lie to each other. I know other people that can only compete separately (like a race--no direct competition everyone just tries to get to a goal first), and others still who thrive on direct competition and fighting and find other games boring. 

I love Pandemic, Castle Panic, and Forbidden Island. They are all cooperative games which makes them more fun for me because instead of all of us just taking our turns, we have to work together to win the game. It just makes the games much more interactive.

Other games that have been fun around here are Set, Sleeping Queens, and Castle Keep.

All of these are fine for all ages.

Echoing the love of Catan.

We play it almost daily.  We play 3 player, but we use the expansions for the bigger board, and then raise the points to win to make it more difficuly.  Lots of room to sprawl, but then a game can take us a couple of hours.  We love it.  We currently have the Cities and Knights expansion, and are looking to get one more to add on.

When we don't have time for a lengthy game we just play the 4 player version and it goes quickly, but we really do play it almost every single day.  What I marvel at is that no one person wins all the time- we all equally end up having a great game and winning. 

I'll add to the votes for both Bohnanza and Dominion.

Phase 10

Mexican Train is a dominoes game that is a lot of fun. We have this edition, but you can skip the sound effects and get a basic version.

In A Pickle - older kids (not teens) can also play this one. 

There is an online board game show called tabletop.  Actually, all the above games are played in an episode and many more.  It's a good place to watch game play to see if it's of interest.  The show is comedic and rated PG-13+ as a warning though.  The extended versions tend to be even more inappropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4F80C7D2DC8D9B6C

We love TableTop!