Menu

Did you have a home birth (Esp vbac)? Experiences

Jennifer132

I have thus far only had hospital births. Two were vbacs. I just hired a midwife though. I'm nine weeks. It's something I've been considering for some time, and it's kind of common in my circle of friends. So, I was just curious, did you have a homebirth? Would you do it again? If you would never consider it, why?

I personally would never consider it. My first delivery, my baby was in distress and I hate to think what would have happened if we were not in the hospital being monitored and having a doctor right there, prepared to start a c-section to deliver. Fortunately it didn't come to that, but it was really scary. I don't think I would consider having a home VBAC regardless, given that it can be an especially risky procedure. 

Personally, I wouldn't consider it with a VBAC.  Of course plenty of people do it.  A friend of mine had six VBAC deliveries at home.  Not me, but I'm risk-adverse, and had my VBAC in a hospital.  Uterine rupture can happen so fast.

I have had four homebirths (and one freestanding birth center birth), and I'd absolutely do it again. My last two were super fast, and if we hadn't already been planning homebirths, we wouldn't have made it to the hospital anyway. One of my homebirthed babies was slow to start (very fluidy, lots of gunk in his nose and mouth), and one of them was in a very funky position (and it's actually probably better that he arrived before we could call for a transfer, because an inexperienced medical person who didn't know what to do like our midwife did could have killed or seriously injured him in trying to help), and all of them are just fine. I've felt comfortable birthing at home because my midwives have seen nothing concerning during my prenatal visits, and homebirth has been found to be statistically safe for low risk women.

I know women who have had VBACs at home. You would need to talk to your midwife to see if she feels that you are a good candidate for one. Your options for a midwife may be limited, as some cannot legally attend a VBAC at home. Have you talked to people at ICAN?

I've loved all of my births and would never choose to birth anywhere other than home unless medical issues necessitated it.

My last baby was a home VBAC. It went well. It was nice to not need to take the other kids somewhere. My only other choice was a repeat c-section. This was my first home birth. My husband and I spoke extensively about the risks and benefits of both options. We both agreed that this was the best choice. We would choose this way again. The added bonus was I had improved pain relief of the after pains. I get horrible pain after. This time I medicated on a schedule with Advil. It was way better. I worried about not having prescription pain meds but I found keeping things under control works way better than narcotics. I also have my closest bond with this baby. She had a very gentle entrance into this world.

I had my first in the hospital, I had midwifery care through pregnancy but had to be transferred to OB at the end due to pre eclampsia. Midwifery is fully covered in ontario for low risk mothers and they have hospital privileges, you can choose home or hospital birth. I chose hospital for my first but I was very upset with the treatment I got, they did not listen to me, had no respect for me or my dignity, bossed me around, and did everything in the name of "hospital protocol" instead of treating me like an individual and doing what was best for ME and my BABY. I was very angry and somewhat traumatized for a long time afterwards. I chose to homebirth my 2nd child, provided I didn't get pre eclampsia again- I did not! It was a wonderful, empowering, peaceful, healing experience. I had 2 very experienced capable midwives and a student midwife in attendance, my dh and our 2 year old son. We lived just a couple minutes from the hospital, labor was fairly fast, the midwives basically arrived on time to catch. Baby girl was 8.5 lbs, out in 3 pushes, no tearing. I felt SO amazing after birth, I got up and had a bath right after, and was in my kitchen making toast and tea in an hour. ;) I planned another homebirth for my third but it was botched by an anti homebirth OB. I went a week overdue and had to go for a stress test to the hospital, the OB made stuff up that the baby needed to be born in the hospital because I probably had pre eclampsia again simply because I was having another boy and my blood pressure went up a bit due to the stress of being in that hospital again. I had passed the stress test, had no protein in urine and my bloodwork was ok, but he got to call the shots. It was extremely upsetting for me. He did "allow" me to have my midwives handle the birth so I just showed up right before I had to push and left a few hours after. I'd choose homebirth for future babies if I could have more, provided I was in good health, close to a hospital, etc.

My younger sister has had all 3 at home. All went really well, her youngest was born last week 9 lbs 9 oz, no complications.

My SIL has done it all! Her first was epidural, episiotomy hospital birth, second was natural hospital birth, third was a 10 lb homebirth with midwives, 4th was a planned c section at 34 weeks as she had some freak tumour growing on her ovary during pregnancy- it was removed at the time of the c section and the size of a football (sil is 5 ft and 100 lbs!!)- thankfully it was benign and she's had no other problems since. Her 5th was another homebirth with midwives, her 12 year old dd got to help "catch" the baby. :D

I attempted a home birth with my youngest. The other 2 were csections and my only choice at the he time was to have a repeat csection or find a midwife for a home birth. I labored for 72 hours after my water broke with transition type contractions the entire time. After 72 hours and no progress I was too exhausted to continue without sleep. So I went to the hospital with all intentions of getting an epidural to sleep and try to continue labor. But by the time we got there I was ready to just be done so had a csections. I'm currently 6 weeks pregnant and don't know what I'll do. I don't want to try another home birth but a scheduled csection is not going to happen.

I considered a homebirth with my first, but it made DH nervous, so I went to the hospital and I wound up with a C-section.  In retrospect, I am glad I was in the hospital; it was comforting to have the medical care should my kid need it.  I would do a lot of wild stuff, but I would never try a VBAC at home after a C-section; I'm not afraid of much, but I'd be too afraid of uterine rupture.

ETA:  Why are you considering a homebirth?  Did you have a bad experience in the hospital?  If that's the case, you might want to consider switching hospitals, switching docs, or having a trustworthy and capable person who is a good advocate by your side so you get what you want this go-'round.

I have had six :) and am now a mw myself.

Reality is that once you have had one vbac your risk of rupture is about nil. Your uterus has already withstood labor and was fine and you didn't continue to weaken it by cutting into it again with a repeat c section. And the risk of rupture is quite low to begin with.

I planned a home VBAC. We wound up transporting to the hospital when the baby became distressed (heart rate dropping when I pushed). I had labored at home for 3 days, and was fully dialated and all that. She had me stop pushing, got me onto oxygen, and called an ambulance. Once I got to the hospital they gave me an epidural and I had another 4 hour trial of labor, but wound up with another C-sec. It turned out DS had the umbilical cord hung over his shoulder, so he was basically in a bungee jumping situation where he'd cut off his supply when pressed down into the birth canal. I blame the fact that he didn't stay HEAD DOWN until 39 weeks.

After the fact I went over it with my midwife (who has a very low transport rate), and neither of us could come up with anything that could have been done differently. But then, the #1 job of the midwife is to know when it's an emergency that warrants moving to the hospital environment. That's what I hired her for. (And my midwife was actually a Doctor of Naturopathy. In my state an ND can attend a homebirth VBAC but a licensed midwife can't. So there are a couple of ND midwives in my area. They have the broader license/training of an ND, but also CNM certification and a focus on women/children).

I was hoping to try a birth center with my last, but they rejected me because of my heart medication. I decided not to birth at home because of the distance from the hospital. Both of my VBACs had no complications so I would still consider home birth in the future.

My first birth was at the hospital, I had an epidural and ended up with an episiotomy and vacuum-assisted birth, and there was meconium in the water.

My second and third births were both at the hospital but were natural. The doctors had us stay at the hospital for 2 days after each of those as well - the first because he had meconium and they wanted to monitor him, the second because the cord had been around his neck and they wanted to monitor him as well. I didn't get to see them nearly as much as I would like, simply because the nurses wanted to check on them every 2 hours and didn't want to be constantly fetching him from my room.

With my fourth (born last month), I just got sick of it. I knew I could do it without meds, and ALL of the interventions and monitoring than the hospital had pushed us to do were completely unnecessary. I wanted to be able to keep my baby with me and stop having people act like even the tiniest deviation was a huge deal. For her birth, she had meconium as well - as soon as my water broke and they saw meconium, they told me they'd be paging the paramedics when I got to 9 cm so that they would be at my home when the baby was born in case she had swallowed some and needed resuscitation. Had a normal delivery, the paramedics showed up 5 minutes before she was born and sat in our living room trying to pretend there wasn't a woman screaming in pain in the next room.  :lol: She was breathing just fine when she born, and they left as soon as the midwives confirmed she was fine (though I'm sure the screaming baby was a clue for them, lol).

In retrospect I'd definitely have a homebirth again... but only because I'm less than 10 minutes from the hospital. If I were further (farther? I never know which one to use) away and had my risk factors, I wouldn't want to chance it. I did VASTLY prefer the homebirth in pretty much every way.

The various statistics that may establish home birth as safe in certain situations, those are all about low-risk birth. There is not much good research of which I am aware that involves VBACs at home (there aren't all that many births at home to begin with and many people won't do these, and, and, and . . . ). The recent MANA stats about VBACs are deeply concerning.

http://whatifsandfears.blogspot.ca/2014/04/mana-study-part-4-vaginal-birth-after.html

I really feel you on this because I've had two uncomplicated VBACs and I don't _feel_ high risk. But I have an additional risk of uterine rupture that your standard at-home birther does not have.

Yes, I've had 2 VBACs at home. Best thing I ever did. Loved it. Would do it again. Would not voluntarily give birth in a hospital ever again.

The bottom line is you need to feel comfortable. If that's in a hospital then you should be there. If that's at home then give birth at home.

Congrats on the pg!

I've had two home VBACs. Both were immensly better than my hospital births. I would surely have had a repeat c-section at least with one of them if I had been in the hospital, if only because no doctors around here will "allow" you to go past 41 weeks. Both my homebirths were 41 weeks 5 days. My daughter took a while to breathe on her own when she was born, so she was stimulated and ended up getting some oxygen, but it was done in my lap, she was never away from me and I was talking to her the whole time. There was no panic, she was still getting oxygen via the umbilical cord, and her color and tone was fine. In the hospital they would have cut the cord and taken her away from me to work on her, and cutting the cord could have caused more harm. Oh,, and speaking of that cord, she was totally wrapped up in it. Corkscrewed basically, looked like the strip around a candy cane. One of the attending midwives calls it the "crazy cord". 

My son was born at home as well. I stalled at "9.9"cm as the midwife put it, for about 4 hours. Honestly? I just didn't want to push. I hate that part, and knew it was coming, so avoided the whole thing. I kept talking, kept my mind off of things, avoided positions that put more pressure on the cervix, etc. Finally I started getting really hungry and tired and said fine, I had her break my water (which helped relieve some pressure I was feeling, and applied the head to the cervix). She was able to feel then that his head was asynclitic just a bit, so she reached up and straightened it just a bit, and after doing that he was born about 20 minutes later. AGain, not sure that scenario would have played out that way in the hospital...probably vaccuum, or another c-section for the "stall" of so many hours with no progress. Not to mention he was also almost 2 weeks late, and was 10lbs 2oz. Given that my chart says that my 7lb 13oz baby was too big for my pelvis, yeah...that might not have gone over so well. 

As for rupture, the risk of rupture is lower than the risk of cord prolapse or some other things that can happen in women that have never had a c-section. 

There are risks in the hospital, risks at home, you have to figure out which risks you are comfortable with. 

My youngest had crazy cord too. :D  He was born in the water and he was turned and flipped all around under the water to untangle him. Then he was lifted out of the water, placed on my chest, and I rubbed his back with a towel and talked to him until he gave out a cry. He was actually born about 10 minutes before the midwife got there. Little booger came fast. :p

Yes, I've had six VBACs at home, after the cesarean with my first in the hospital. The first was 2.5 years after the c-section. All went perfectly well, no issues. I loved getting up, taking a quick shower, and then crawling into my own bed with my new baby to enjoy them and rest. The last one was six years ago and I'm now late 40's. In the off chance I got pregnant again, I do believe I'd go to the local birthing center, which has a good reputation for being very hands-off.

My last two were born at home and now I am a CPM.

If we were to have more there is no way I would birth in a hospital unless it were absolutely medically indicated.  

I've attended several VBAC (home and hospital).  While I am selective in who I take on as a HBAC client, I have no issues attending HBAC.  

There's a nice little VBAC group on FB:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/vbacfactscommunity/ 

Op here--I chose a homebirth this time because I'm just tired of the hospital atmosphere (various policies, lack of parental choice, long wait times for appointments, etc). I wouldn't be devastated if I had no choice but to birth in a hospital (though I would be terrified of another c section, my recovery was horrible, and I actually had panic attacks for several months afterward); my doctor is okay with vbac. But I know I will be more comfortable and less stressed in a home environment. Both my doctor and my midwife said that since I've had two vbacs already, my vbac risk for rupture is much lower. My midwife has been practicing since 97 and attended hundreds of births. She spent 15 years at a birthing center and then started her own practice. I trust her. And we do live near the hospital just in case. That being said, I appreciate the differing points of view, so thank you to all who have replied.

My last two were born at home and now I am a CPM.

If we were to have more there is no way I would birth in a hospital unless it were absolutely medically indicated.

I've attended several VBAC (home and hospital). While I am selective in who I take on as a HBAC client, I have no issues attending HBAC.

There's a nice little VBAC group on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vbacfactscommunity/

Heather, small world--we actually live in OK. We are in OKC though. You may even know my midwife.

Well I've had two home births (9 lb and 11 lb), so I'm all the way pro home birth.  That said with 2 VBACs, I'd want a pretty real plan and to be near a hospital if there's any likelihood of problems.  (some people live farther out in the country than others, kwim?)  If you don't live within say 10 minutes of a hospital or some sane distance, then I'd consider a midwife at a birthing center or CNM in a hospital.  But I guess talk with your midwife about her plan.  You'd be horrified how non-concrete (as in non-existent or even illegal) their back-up plans sometimes are. Don't be bashful on this.  ASK.  

I changed midwives early on with my 2nd dc.  Pregnancy is a really hard time to deal with that, because you're so emotional.  Talk it through with your dh and get really rational.  Sometimes midwives get really mystical/spiritual about it and figure whoever isn't meant to home birth won't end up with them.  You really need a fact-based decision, and men can handle that.  You can have a good birth in a facility.  It doesn't *have* to be at home to be good.  The thing you really want is SAFE.

Op here--I chose a homebirth this time because I'm just tired of the hospital atmosphere (various policies, lack of parental choice, long wait times for appointments, etc). I wouldn't be devastated if I had no choice but to birth in a hospital (though I would be terrified of another c section, my recovery was horrible, and I actually had panic attacks for several months afterward); my doctor is okay with vbac. But I know I will be more comfortable and less stressed in a home environment. Both my doctor and my midwife said that since I've had two vbacs already, my vbac risk for rupture is much lower. My midwife has been practicing since 97 and attended hundreds of births. She spent 15 years at a birthing center and then started her own practice. I trust her. And we do live near the hospital just in case. That being said, I appreciate the differing points of view, so thank you to all who have replied.

Sorry, I missed all this!  Sounds like you're covering the things I was concerned about.  As long as she has a CLEAR back-up plan that you're happy with, you're good.  Enjoy your birth!  And yes, it will be more empowering and peaceful!   :)

PS.  I knew who I wanted with me at my birth as the assistant, because it was the lady who said she was "looking forward" to birthing in that birthing pool again.  Oh yeah, positive vibes!  :D 

That said with 2 VBACs, I'd want a pretty real plan and to be near a hospital if there's any likelihood of problems.....

Confused here -- she's had two successful v^aginal births after having had a c-section previously. Did you think she meant two cesareans?  Sorry if I'm missing the meaning -- I can be dense that way! 

I had a c-section with my first, a VBAC with a midwife at a birth center with my second, a VBAC that was a birth center to hospital (transport due to lack of progress with posterior baby - about 30 minutes of pitocin, she turned and I delivered within the hour with ob and midwife present), and a third VBAC at home with my 4th.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. My homebirth was wonderful!

To the OP: From your question, I'm not able to tell if you are wanted to hear other people's VBAC stories to help you decide whether or not to have a VBAC at home or if you are merely interested in people's VBAC at home stories.

Many people find it enjoyable to read other people's birth stories. Many people enjoy relaying detailed accounts of their childbirth.

I'm hoping you'll receive data and some well-done scientific studies which will show you the safety of VBAC home births. That is a far better question to ask when it comes time for you to make the decision. The fact that many people on the board have not had any complications with VBACs is interesting but does not prove or disprove the safety of this choice.

I just cringe a little when people are asked about the safety of a medical procedure and answer with, "Well, I had this done and nothing bad happened!"

I seriously considered a home birth several times, but was never comfortable with the specific circumstances (distance to hospital etc.). I have had five intervention-free hospital births. Personally a VBAC at home would be outside of my risk comfort zone. Clearly my risk tolerance when it comes to birth is very low.

In many places in this country (my city for one) the choice is repeat ceasrean or home birth. A repeat cesarean is vastly more dangerous than a vbac although I do not know of studies to point you to regarding vbacs at home. Part of the balance of risks is also weighing the chances of actually getting the vbac at the hospital. Even if you are "allowed" you are often sabatoged. In comparison, the midwife who trained me has been a mw for over 30 years and has attended hundreds of vbacs and has *never* had a mom need a repeat ceasrean. And this includes many many many moms who were told they couldn't birth a baby due to a small pelvis etc. they most certainly could and have. I personally would take those odds over a 42% c section rate any day. And do ;) although I have never had a c section.

Eta: I mentioned her stats because I am too new to have any of significance of my own :)

I'm hoping you'll receive data and some well-done scientific studies which will show you the safety of VBAC home births. That is a far better question to ask when it comes time for you to make the decision. The fact that many people on the board have not had any complications with VBACs is interesting but does not prove or disprove the safety of this choice.

At the same time, a mama needs to also develop, as mentioned above, her own intuition in the matter as well as determine what her comfort level is and why.  In my case, and I think for many others, reading the successful stories that others had to tell went a long way in helping me find my own comfort level with birthing babies at home. Birth isn't all statistics and science, as I know you know (just stating it in the context of this topic).

To the OP: From your question, I'm not able to tell if you are wanted to hear other people's VBAC stories to help you decide whether or not to have a VBAC at home or if you are merely interested in people's VBAC at home stories.

Many people find it enjoyable to read other people's birth stories. Many people enjoy relaying detailed accounts of their childbirth.

I just cringe a little when people are asked about the safety of a medical procedure and answer with, "Well, I had this done and nothing bad happened!"

I think I'm pretty well decided, and I'm not asking if there are risks involved (I already know that). :) but I do think hearing other people's reason for not doing a vbac homebirth are worth considering. My sil wanted to do a homebirth years ago, and I thought she was nuts. Mainly because I had never been around anyone who had had a homebirth, and I didn't know much about it. Now, I've met a lot of people who do it (as I said, it is very common in my circle), and have learned more about it, it doesn't seem so crazy anymore. I understand there are risks, but a hospital vbac has risks as well, and I was made very aware of those the first two times I had a vbac. Not to mention, another c-section, for which there is a greater chance of if I birth at a hospital, has risks as well.

At the same time, a mama needs to also develop, as mentioned above, her own intuition in the matter as well as determine what her comfort level is and why.  In my case, and I think for many others, reading the successful stories that others had to tell went a long way in helping me find my own comfort level with birthing babies at home. Birth isn't all statistics and science, as I know you know (just stating it in the context of this topic).

When I hired a midwife for a VBAC (1st cesarean for breech), home birth stories were a big influence on me. Then I had the birth--long labor, little progress, some fetal distress, hospital transport at midwife's insistence, cesarean and healthy baby, but learned that the distress was worse than we had thought when we decided c-section (meconium, infection starting). It could have easily gone the other way and I am very thankful we were lucky enough to get the healthy baby that has grown into my 14-year-old.

You should be aware that the natural birth community censors home birth stories. People with "bad outcomes" (dead or damaged babies for preventable reasons, or even in my case a healthy baby with a hospital transport) are marginalized, blamed for "their" failure, have their comments deleted from natural birth Facebook groups, blogs, and Mothering.com. There's a lot of magical thinking in the natural childbirth community: people think that not thinking about bad things somehow protects them. 

My point is: even though stories can feel like truth, don't interpret it that way. Or go out of your way to look for stories where things go wrong. Those stories are on the internet now in a way they weren't back in 2000. Unfortunately many women have had bad outcomes because of poorly trained US midwives. Homebirth midwives don't carry malpractice insurance, so if you have funeral or hospital bills because of the actions of the midwife, you have no recourse.

When I hired a midwife for a VBAC (1st cesarean for breech), home birth stories were a big influence on me. Then I had the birth--long labor, little progress, some fetal distress, hospital transport at midwife's insistence, cesarean and healthy baby, but learned that the distress was worse than we had thought when we decided c-section (meconium, infection starting). It could have easily gone the other way and I am very thankful we were lucky enough to get the healthy baby that has grown into my 14-year-old.

You should be aware that the natural birth community censors home birth stories. People with "bad outcomes" (dead or damaged babies for preventable reasons, or even in my case a healthy baby with a hospital transport) are marginalized, blamed for "their" failure, have their comments deleted from natural birth Facebook groups, blogs, and Mothering.com. There's a lot of magical thinking in the natural childbirth community: people think that not thinking about bad things somehow protects them.

My point is: even though stories can feel like truth, don't interpret it that way. Or go out of your way to look for stories where things go wrong. Those stories are on the internet now in a way they weren't back in 2000. Unfortunately many women have had bad outcomes because of poorly trained US midwives. Homebirth midwives don't carry malpractice insurance, so if you have funeral or hospital bills because of the actions of the midwife, you have no recourse.

Sara, this is a helpful post. This is precisely why I'm not sure asking for stories is a helpful way to making sure someone is making a wise health decision. Particularly with births, people could be reluctant to share a bad outcome due to grief or guilt--even if that guilt is unfounded.

If it helps to know, my second c-sec (the one following 3 days of labor at home then emergency transport) had a MUCH MUCH easier recovery after than the first did (which followed a high-intervention induced labor with 12 hours of labor with pitocin). The main difference going in was that I had a gut feeling going in to #1's induction that if left alone I'd go into labor on my own, but the OB bullied me into induction at 41 wks 6 days. With #2, I did go into labor on my own, right at 42 weeks, and knew in my gut that the C-sec was really necessary.

Which is to say, I'm a big fan of first doing research so you have solid information to work from, then going with intuition, once your subconscious has processed the data. Birth is part instinct, if we let it be.

I've had one hospital birth, one birth center birth, and one home birth, about to have another home birth. 

If you've already VBAC'd twice, it seems like a good sign your uterus healed very strongly.  I personally would be willing to do it in those circumstances. 

My home birth was awesome and crazy fast.  Had I been planning a hospital birth, it would have been a car birth.  :-) 

Proof?

Here is a summary from a loss mother about the Not Buried Twice campaign: http://safermidwiferyformichigan.blogspot.com/2014/06/not-buried-twice.html. Lots more links in there.

I'm aware of that and similar campaigns, but I was aiming for proof of posts being deleted, as well as being marginalized online.  I'm sorry I wasn't more clear as I was (and stiill am) holding an infant with one hand free to type.  In my experience, I have not seen that online and would be upset if it does occur.

On a side note, I will say that when I tell people my babies died in the hospital after a non-emergency CS under the care of negligent OBs, I am marginalized having been told the doctors "must have done all they could do".  :glare:

My point is that there is "magical thinking" in all groups, as well as coverups on both sides.  OBs forget to tell you mothers and babies have died or been seriously harmed on their watch, too.  Birth carries risk no matter what you do and the most educated can (and do) make mistakes.  It's a very sad reality.  :crying:

More on why there is so much anti-homebirth sentiment on the internet these days and why you might not be getting replies from TWTM members who have BTDT with HBACs:

http://veillifted.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/twws/

I'm not sure if this post was for me, but I read it and I'm thoroughly lost on where this person was going with their post.  I read other entries to gain understanding, but honestly, it sounded like internet drama that is far out of my league.  I can't imagine getting myself caught up in an internet situation like that.  (I don't take things so personally from people on the internet, as I would from someone I know face-to-face.)

I'm equally feeling dense on why one might not be getting replies on this subject from the ladies here on TWTM?  Can you help a woman out here?  What am I missing?  :o

I'm not sure if this post was for me, but I read it and I'm thoroughly lost on where this person was going with their post.  I read other entries to gain understanding, but honestly, it sounded like internet drama that is far out of my league.  I can't imagine getting myself caught up in an internet situation like that.  (I don't take things so personally from people on the internet, as I would from someone I know face-to-face.)

I'm equally feeling dense on why one might not be getting replies on this subject from the ladies here on TWTM?  Can you help a woman out here?  What am I missing?  :o

I read her master list of trolls and now I get it after recognizing Dr. Amy's name.

Is that sort of trolling happening here, too?  Is that what you mean?

I have thus far only had hospital births. Two were vbacs. I just hired a midwife though. I'm nine weeks. It's something I've been considering for some time, and it's kind of common in my circle of friends. So, I was just curious, did you have a homebirth? Would you do it again? If you would never consider it, why?

All my children were born out of hospital.  1 in a Birth Center and 5 at home.  I *loved* having home births.   Surely, there's got to be a homebirthing WTMers group here? 

Call your midwife, read good books on birth stories.  Know what to expect.   They'll probably have some good resources.

Well I am in a different country. VBACs are encouraged here though you are given the option of an elective cesearean (I chose VBAC) and all women (well 99.9) are transferred to midwife care at or before 12 weeks pregnancy (gp's don't do births and obstetricians only get involved if there is a problem or if you have had a problem. BUT i have never heard of someone having a home birth VBAC and i have trouble imagining a midwife agreeing to it. Women i have known who had several homebirths then a C-section had future births at hospital.

More on why there is so much anti-homebirth sentiment on the internet these days and why you might not be getting replies from TWTM members who have BTDT with HBACs:

http://veillifted.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/twws/

I didn't realize there was organized trolling going on. Sheesh.  Who has the extra time in their day for that?  

I've done a little bit of everything. My first 2 were hospital births, but I wasn't a fan of their required interventions so #3 was a homebirth because I had no other options. I loved my midwife and it was an amazing experience!  We moved states and #4 was born in a fantastic hospital (30 mins away!) with no required interventions!  #5 was a birth center waterbirth just a mile down the road, and it was a great experience.  I think all that's left is to deliver on the side of the road in the car and I'll have done it all. :P

First child-homebirth no complications.

Second child-planned homebirth but transferred to a hospital for a c-section in labor at home for several hours at 40 weeks when the placenta started tearing off. We anticipated the possibility of that and were watching for it from week 14 on with the full knowledge and support of the back up OB. We had an unheard of complication a few minutes later as we were leaving the house when my fallopian tube spontaneously ruptured. 

It was a 10 minute transfer to the hospital while the midwife informed by phone as we left and they were ready and waiting when we got there.  The OB on the floor had us stable and respectfully suggested an epidural and c-section within half an hour of arrival as the placenta was staying put for the first few minutes we were there.  Then it resumed tearing off and I had a general with a c-section right away.  The placenta came out before my daughter did.  Her apgar 5 minutes was 8 and she has no brain damage at all. The fallopian tube complication was discovered as she was delivered.  They repaired it.  I had to have blood transfusions.  I got a life threatening infection from the surgery itself (a known risk in any surgery and not a failure on the part of the hospital) which was eventually fixed.

At that time the recurrence rate of complete placental absorptions was unknown and little studied.  Several years later a study came out and it looked like it is something that recurs and no one was sure why.  There was no medical information about spontaneously rupturing fallopian tubes-it seemed unheard of.

We opted to adopt #3.