Menu

Mac N Cheese

arnold

Does anyone have a really good, homemade recipe for mac-n-cheese?  I'm looking for one that has some "bit" too it.  I usually use extra shape cheese, but I think it's still to bland.  Maybe I need to switch the cheese up or something, just looking for something with a little kick to it.

When we weren't dairy free, I made a mac and cheese that was so easy and delish and unique tasting.  I got the recipe from a friend.  Basically cook the noodles and then mix then with sour cream, cottage cheese, and regular cheese.  I would freeze it (freezes great just like lasagna) in batches and then just thaw and bake.  I would buy all the cheeses at Costco, so it was so inexpensive to make.  I looked online but all the recipes have egg and other stuff I didn't use.  I'll take a look in my computer files for you, if you're interested.

What if you try a cheese with more flavor, like smoked gouda or gruyere? I think gruyere would have that sharper taste, it's what I use in quiche, but I don't know how well it melts for mac and cheese. I use Tillamook extra sharp cheddar when I make mac and cheese, but I might try some different cheeses myself now that you mention it. 

ETA: Maybe a blend of cheeses would be good. Parmigiano Reggiano would be good mixed in with some other cheeses.

Our homemade mac and cheese is SOO good.  We all really like it and it's my 20yo son's birthday request.

6 Tblsp butter

6 Tblsp flour

4.5 cups milk

4.5 cups cheese

~ 1 Tblsp salt

2 lbs. pasta

Basic sauce procedure:  Melt butter and let get hot, add flour.  Cook for a little bit without browning.  Slowly add milk a little at a time to let it thicken before adding the next bit.  Once all milk is added and it's thickened (get it almost to a boil but not quite if needed), remove from heat and add cheese.  We usually use just medium or sharp Cheddar but it's also fun to mix it up.  We used some feta the other night.  We've used the Mexican blend that is a big kicky.  Use what you have/like.  Once cheese is melted, add salt to taste.  I always seem to add more and my kids like it with less so you have to figure out what works for your peeps.  Go lighter and then add salt in your bowl if needed.  We like to cook the pasta once the sauce is almost done so it's HOT when you add the HOT sauce to it.  It's really really creamy this way.  If you let the noodles cool, then the sauce cools down quite a bit and isn't as creamy. 

That's it!  I've been making this recipe for almost 20 years and haven't messed with it at all or looked for another because everyone loves it.  HTH.

This might sound weird but I grew up eating a ham and noodle casserole that has a bite to it- because it has a bit of prepared horseradish.  My family doesn't care for ham but they like the bite in the casserole so I just add a bit of horseradish to my mac and cheese. It's very good! Oddly enough, I also add a tablespoon or two of ketchup also. 

I've had several mac and cheese dishes with dry mustard added- that's good, too!

When we weren't dairy free, I made a mac and cheese that was so easy and delish and unique tasting.  I got the recipe from a friend.  Basically cook the noodles and then mix then with sour cream, cottage cheese, and regular cheese.  I would freeze it (freezes great just like lasagna) in batches and then just thaw and bake.  I would buy all the cheeses at Costco, so it was so inexpensive to make.  I looked online but all the recipes have egg and other stuff I didn't use.  I'll take a look in my computer files for you, if you're interested.

YES!  This is the recipe from a restaurant we used to love but that closed down.  My favorite mac n' cheese.  It has just what you said:  http://www.food.com/recipe/macaroni-and-cheese-like-hoggys-454436

A really great thing to add for some kick is a small can of diced green chilies!

I add some powdered mustard and a bit of cayenne to the flour/butter combination when I'm making the white sauce.  I just use sharp cheddar but the mustard intensifies the cheese flavor and the cayenne gives the bite.

ETA:  I see some others beat me to that suggestion!  ;)

I just tried the recipe from the Pioneer Woman and it was good even with cauliflower instead of pasta! We used provelone and some Romano to add variety. and like someone else said, add a good, strong mustard powder!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/04/macaroni-cheese/

I use the recipe from Pioneer Woman with a combo of sharp cheddar and gouda.  It is very yummy.  

For something completely different, I made this sweet potato and brie mac and cheese.  So good. 

http://www.healthyfoodforliving.com/sweet-potato-and-brie-mac-cheese/

This is our favorite. Not low cal but nummy!

Ingredients:

1 Tb. oil

1 16oz box Elbow Macaroni

9 Tb. Butter

1 cup shredded muenster

1 cup shredded cheddar

1 cup sharp cheddar

1 cup monterrey jack

2 cups half and half

8 oz. cubed valveeta

2 eggs – beaten

1 tsp. salt

¼ tsp. pepper

Directions:

•Add oil to pasta water and prepare per directions.

•Return pasta to pan after draining and and 1 stick melted butter.

•Preheat oven to 350˚.

•Combine muenster, cheddars and monterrey jack cheeses in a large bowl. Mix well.

Remove 1 cup cheese for topping.

•Add the half and half, cubed valveeta, beaten eggs, salt, and pepper to cheese

mixture.

•Add macaroni and mix together. Transfer to greased 9X13 pan. Sprinkle with

remaining 1 cup cheese mixture and 1 Tb. butter.

•Bake 35 minutes.

Sometimes I sauté diced onion in the butter before making the white sauce,

Sometimes I add 2-4 oz in with 8ox extra sharp cheddar cheese (w 2 c milk, 16 oz pasta recipe).

Sometimes I add a bunch of freshly grated Parmesan to the white sauce w the extra sharp cheddar.

And now I'm hungry...

I had the best Mac and Cheese I've ever had in my life at Dave's barbecue in Richmond last week; it had jalapenos in it!  I am going to play around with that recipe until I get it; it was delicious!

Does anyone have a really good, homemade recipe for mac-n-cheese?  I'm looking for one that has some "bit" too it.  I usually use extra shape cheese, but I think it's still to bland.  Maybe I need to switch the cheese up or something, just looking for something with a little kick to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Our homemade mac and cheese is SOO good.  We all really like it and it's my 20yo son's birthday request.

6 Tblsp butter

6 Tblsp flour

4.5 cups milk

4.5 cups cheese

~ 1 Tblsp salt

2 lbs. pasta

Basic sauce procedure:  Melt butter and let get hot, add flour.  Cook for a little bit without browning.  Slowly add milk a little at a time to let it thicken before adding the next bit.  Once all milk is added and it's thickened (get it almost to a boil but not quite if needed), remove from heat and add cheese.  We usually use just medium or sharp Cheddar but it's also fun to mix it up.  We used some feta the other night.  We've used the Mexican blend that is a big kicky.  Use what you have/like.  Once cheese is melted, add salt to taste.  I always seem to add more and my kids like it with less so you have to figure out what works for your peeps.  Go lighter and then add salt in your bowl if needed.  We like to cook the pasta once the sauce is almost done so it's HOT when you add the HOT sauce to it.  It's really really creamy this way.  If you let the noodles cool, then the sauce cools down quite a bit and isn't as creamy. 

That's it!  I've been making this recipe for almost 20 years and haven't messed with it at all or looked for another because everyone loves it.  HTH.

I made this today, it smelled and tasted great, but my texture was a bit off.  It was creamy but also had a slightly grainy texture.  Did I do something wrong?  I used medium cheddar and just a touch of Parmesan since that's what I had in the fridge.  My husband thinks it was the Parmesan but I wonder if it was too much flour.

I made this today, it smelled and tasted great, but my texture was a bit off.  It was creamy but also had a slightly grainy texture.  Did I do something wrong?  I used medium cheddar and just a touch of Parmesan since that's what I had in the fridge.  My husband thinks it was the Parmesan but I wonder if it was too much flour.

When I've made mac 'n cheese in the past I used a similar cheese sauce and it came out grainy. Which is why I never made homemade mac 'n cheese until I tried the Pioneer Woman recipe linked earlier. She adds egg to her cheese sauce and I think that may be what makes the difference in the texture. She does add a lot of dry mustard which I've reduced to 1/2 tsp to suit our tastes more. Otherwise her recipe is my first mac 'n cheese success.

I asked my daughter who makes this regularly and she said she's had that happen too -- but can't remember when it happened.  She *thinks* it might be overcooking once the cheese is added.  (Did you remove it from the heat and just let the cheese melt on its own without additional heat?  And then pour it over the noodles soon after that?) I think it does sound like it could be something with the flour, so that's another option.  If it was plenty thick, maybe try a little bit less flour.  Maybe it's not cooking the flour enough?  The graininess happens rarely, so maybe try it again if you liked it otherwise. 

I asked my daughter who makes this regularly and she said she's had that happen too -- but can't remember when it happened.  She *thinks* it might be overcooking once the cheese is added.  (Did you remove it from the heat and just let the cheese melt on its own without additional heat?  And then pour it over the noodles soon after that?) I think it does sound like it could be something with the flour, so that's another option.  If it was plenty thick, maybe try a little bit less flour.  Maybe it's not cooking the flour enough?  The graininess happens rarely, so maybe try it again if you liked it otherwise. 

I'll definitely try it again.  I did remove it from the heat, maybe I just need to experiment with the flour.  The texture didn't bother anyone, but I'd prefer it to be smoother.

We have that same issue when using our raw milk or regular pasteurized store milk. We've discovered that if we use evaporated milk in the sauce, it will come out super smooth. Not sure why this is, but it works like a charm! 

Now I'm hungry! :drool5:  

I'll definitely try it again.  I did remove it from the heat, maybe I just need to experiment with the flour.  The texture didn't bother anyone, but I'd prefer it to be smoother.

I just googled a little bit and it said too high of heat can cause it -- did you do the step of bringing it almost to a boil when doing the thickening part of it?  I usually don't need to do that -- just slowly add the milk while it thickens between additions, over a medium ish or just above medium temperature.  Just another thought. 

I sauté a little garlic in with the melted butter. I also use a little dry mustard and make half my cheese pepper jack. I like the cheese sauce to taste just a smidge (a tiny smidge) too salty when I taste it plain because then it's just right on the noodles. When I'm feeling especially naughty, or going to a potluck, I use half n half instead of milk.

My mac and cheese has a bit of a cult following among DDs high school friends. At the last potluck she sent me a photo of a friend eating the last serving right out of the pan. My DS prefers kraft. I'm not sure he even loves me.

Did you grate the cheese yourself? Sometimes pre-grated cheese doesn't melt quite right. They coat it with something. Sometimes it's just the cheddar. Cheddar isn't always the best melter.

I just googled a little bit and it said too high of heat can cause it -- did you do the step of bringing it almost to a boil when doing the thickening part of it? I usually don't need to do that -- just slowly add the milk while it thickens between additions, over a medium ish or just above medium temperature. Just another thought.

It was starting to bubble as I added the milk, the temp is really hard to control on my stove. I'll try leaving it a touch cooler.

Did you grate the cheese yourself? Sometimes pre-grated cheese doesn't melt quite right. They coat it with something. Sometimes it's just the cheddar. Cheddar isn't always the best melter.

Yes, I grated it myself. Very true about cheddar, maybe I'll try a different type of cheese next time.