Menu

I covet a book belonging to the public library

Susan in TN

It's a common classic but you'd have to feel the pages to understand.  I've never touched a book with such incredibly smooth paper.  Soft as fine silk.  Sometimes I stop by it's shelf to visit it and just enjoy turning the pages.  My great fear is that because it is old, they will discard the book and it will be lost forever.  I can't find another copy new or used anywhere.  I have debated for years whether or not I should check the book out, never return it, and pay the replacement fine. 

I would let you come over and hold it, if you like.

I think it would be perfectly ethical for you to pay to replace it and abscond with the original: presuming that replacement copies are available, etc. If you like, you could also make a generous donation in addition to the replacement fine.

I agree that it wouldn't be right to just keep it. What would you think if someone said they stole or "lost" a Bible because of the texture/thickness of the pages?

Is it possible to "steal" a Gideon Bible from a hotel?  Because I've done that - in Norway.  It had parallel Norwegian and English text - so fabulous!

(I'm going to Hell for sure.)

Is it possible to "steal" a Gideon Bible from a hotel? Because I've done that - in Norway. It had parallel Norwegian and English text - so fabulous!

(I'm going to Hell for sure.)

My uncle is a Gideon. They want you to take The Bible from hotel rooms. They give hotels lots, and the hotels replace them along with the tissues and such.

I would ask the librarian. It seems dishonest to keep it if it truly can't be replaced with an identical copy.

My uncle is a Gideon. They want you to take The Bible from hotel rooms. They give hotels lots, and the hotels replace them along with the tissues and such.

Also true if you come across a Book of Mormon in your hotel room :)

I know nothing whatsoever about the Gideons aside from the fact that they place Bibles in hotel rooms. Off to google.

Well, that's interesting. I always thought they just meant for you to take the message with you, not the actual Bible. You know, read some and learn something, but leave the actual book for the next person.

I'm kinda dying to know what the book is.

And who printed it.

Well, that's interesting. I always thought they just meant for you to take the message with you, not the actual Bible. You know, read some and learn something, but leave the actual book for the next person. 

Me too. But I have been in some hotels lately that didn't have one.

I would ask the librarian. It seems dishonest to keep it if it truly can't be replaced with an identical copy.

Also true if you come across a Book of Mormon in your hotel room :)

I know nothing whatsoever about the Gideons aside from the fact that they place Bibles in hotel rooms. Off to google.

Really, it is okay to take a Book of Mormon from a hotel room? I am not a member of the LDS church, but would enjoy having a copy. For whatever reason, never thought it was available to take home from hotel.

Now back to the OP & regular programming.

I once coveted a library book. I can't tell you how badly I wanted it just for the sake of owning it. In the end though, I just couldn't keep it and pay the library its cost. My conscience weighed too heavily with just the consideration of it so I can't image how heavy it would have been had I done it. Follow the great advice above of asking the library. If they say no, start the long hunt for it second hand. One day it may just pop up. Good luck!

Really, it is okay to take a Book of Mormon from a hotel room? I am not a member of the LDS church, but would enjoy having a copy. For whatever reason, never thought it was available to take home from hotel.

Yes, you can take it from your hotel room.

As for the OP, my mother seriously coveted an out-of-print book in the library. She talked to the librarian about it (they all knew her), but I cannot exactly remember what the solution was.  I think she was able to check it out for a very long time.   

I think it would be perfectly ethical for you to pay to replace it and abscond with the original: presuming that replacement copies are available, etc. If you like, you could also make a generous donation in addition to the replacement fine.

Nope

. I would certainly not take the book, without first talking to the librarian. it is entirely possible that they will weed the book for you for a donation IF it isn't a book that is being checked out.

I completely understand :-)

I work for a library and we all share the online catalog. another library has a book that I want. I have every intention on asking if I can buy it from their collection before I send it back. they have had the book for 10 years and it has NEVER been checked out ( since we share an online catalog I can view this information).

I agree that it wouldn't be right to just keep it. What would you think if someone said they stole or "lost" a Bible because of the texture/thickness of the pages?

A book is a book. Why does a bible merit any more 'wrongness' if stolen than any other book?

Ask to speak to a librarian and explain that you adore this particular edition of the book. If it is easily replaceable as a text then they might let you purchase it. But, be aware that they will prob as you to pay market value. So, if it is rare or difficult to find it won't come cheap.

My dh is a librarian at a very large university library. Libraries often don't know if a particular edition etc is valuable. That is just too much to keep up with. It isn't uncommon for patrons to both steal valuable copies (by not returning etc) and to alert them to valuable copies. I told our public library that they had a very valuable knitting book on the shelf. They didn't really care and didn't take any measures to protect it. It didn't get stolen and was, thankfully, reissued, so the old edition lost its resale value. 

I disagree and don't think really liking something justifies taking it and lying about it being damaged or lost. The OP already said she hasn't been able to find another copy, new or used. A responsible and ethical way to handle it would be to talk to the librarian(s) and ask if she can purchase it or if they'll call her if they decide to cull it from their collection.

Yes :) and if you'd like a copy before your next hotel stay:

http://www.mormon.org/free-book-of-mormon

If its a common classic if be inclined to borrow it and then say it was damaged and part the replacement fee. They'd lose nothing

Are you sure about that? I have been to library sales where collector's items and rare editions were sold for much more than other books. 

Go ask the librarian. I have been personally responsible for re-homing many library discards (poor thing! Come home with me!). My college's librarians have also asked me to check out certain books (and ask others to check them out) because library policy stated that books not checked out in a certain time had to be culled. We had many old treasures that weren't in frequent demand, but we're hard to come by and periodically needed.

Libraries have to balance the need for shelf space against the risk of discarding something less used, but still good. If they know you want it they might let you have it someday.

Well you have to let us know how this works out!

I am with the ask-the-librarian crowd. If it's a common classic, perhaps they really wouldn't mind at all selling it to you or accepting a replacement copy from you. I couldn't read it in peace if I just said it was lost and paid a fine; the book would always serve as an accusor of my dishonesty, even if only to me.

So...

WHAT'S THE TITLE OF THE BOOK?

(Ahem. Sorry 'bout that. Mystery kills.)

Yes - It's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories, Konemann, printed in Hungary, 1995 (Not sure why I thought it was much older than that).  And wonder of wonders, ABEbooks.com now has a copy of this exact edition.  Moral dilemma averted!

I too covet a certain old book from our local library. I am the only one who has checked it out in years. Since they occasionally purge books, the librarian wrote my name and number next to the card indicating if they decide to get rid of the book, to call me. This summer, after we put in our volunteer hours at several special events, I may ask the librarian (and there is only one librarian)  if she is ready to part with it. :drool5:

Yes - It's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories, Konemann, printed in Hungary, 1995 (Not sure why I thought it was much older than that). And wonder of wonders, ABEbooks.com now has a copy of this exact edition. Moral dilemma averted!

Yay!

they have had the book for 10 years and it has NEVER been checked out ( since we share an online catalog I can view this information).

I feel so sad for that poor little book and all the others that never get checked out. I imagine them being a little like Corduroy bear....just waiting and hoping. If I knew which books had never been checked out, I would pick them!

I recently discovered that when the library doesn't have the book properly cataloged and then do a number check out for me, something that happens LITERALLY every time we check out books at least once, the majority of the time, when I return the book, they're just tossing it in the sale pile.  That book has almost no trace back to me because of the way they do the quick check out and then they get rid of it most of the time because if it hasn't circulated in a certain amount of time, they decide to ditch it.  I was appalled.  I'm hastening the books disappearing.  I thought I was helping the books stay in the system by circulating them!  Argh.  Now I admit that I've been thinking about keeping those instead of returning them.  I won't, but if there's one I want to use again, I'm going to ask the librarian if she's planning to cull it.

There is a book like that at my library (I work there pt-time) ... the kind that you just have to feel the binding and pages every now and then.  I am a tactile person anyway, but this book just feeds my nerdy little soul somehow. 

I'm glad you could find your book at Abe, though.  Because if you'd taken the library's copy, maybe there'd be a sad librarian looking forlornly for her beloved to return someday.