Menu

s/o Ask a... Who do you WISH you could ask?

Xuzi

I know there's a bunch of "ask a..." threads going on, but is there one group that hasn't started one yet, that you wish would, even though there probably isn't anybody here on the boards that's a part of that group?

For example: I'd be greatly intrigued by an "Ask a FLDS" or "Ask a Scientologist" thread, even though I think there's a slim to none chance of any of members of that group being here. :lol:

I have an Amish friend who designs websites, actually. :)  Yeah, Amish-Amish, horse-and-buggy, no-electricity-in-the-home, Amish.

They don't have children or homeschool though. . . but, there are Amish online.  (This family I'm mentioning loves Ebay--but they only access it where the husband works :D)

I might see if they'd be willing to answer questions, using the computer at one of their Mennonite relatives. They're pretty fun; they may be up for it!

Www.llnoe.com (living like no one else)

Poster's name is reddoor

I haven't read there in a while but I just checked and she is still posting. A while back she posted about a young girl who had gotten pregnant by a young boy ( both Amish) and how it all went down once discovered. Very interesting.

I would like to present questions to modern gypsies. I used to work in a high-end retail store in Atlanta, and they would come in the store in groups of ten-to-twenty, several generations together. They always fascinated me. :o

I would like:

...an ask an ovarian cancer survivor thread...

Also, an "ask a shapeshifter" thread... :o

Looks like some of her older threads are gone but in March of 2013 she posted in the blog section that she had received special permission from the Bishop to blog on llnoe.com

Can this be for real?  Sounds fishy...

We do have one member who's in a polyamorist relatioship but last time I remember that coming up in a thread people got very judgmental. She may be sort of shy about it now. 

That's sad.  We are such a diverse group and while everyone may not subscribe to the same ideologies I would hope a thread like this could be asked and answered in a way no one feels judged.

Can this be for real?  Sounds fishy...

Of course it can be real. Modern technology can be used for business pursuits or when necessary.

Jakob Amman broke away from the Mennonite church because he believed the technology of the time was drawing people away from godly pursuits. His church members were instructed to eshew modern convenience and to strive for a simpler life. The Amish that we are familiar are essentially frozen in time, by choice. Not because it's evil or forbidden, but because it is a distraction. I can see the sharing of knowledge being viewed as worthy. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish

Of course it can be real. Modern technology can be used for business pursuits or when necessary.

Jakob Amman broke away from the Mennonite church because he believed the technology of the time was drawing people away from godly pursuits. His church members were instructed to eshew modern convenience and to strive for a simpler life. The Amish that we are familiar are essentially frozen in time, by choice. Not because it's evil or forbidden, but because it is a distraction. I can see the sharing of knowledge being viewed as worthy. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish

Honestly, it sounds terribly fishy to me too. An Amish person would be very unlikely to go to their bishop about posting on a blog or online. They might post online, but they'd do so in a quiet way and not draw attention themselves, especially to their bishop. Similar to picture taking, etc.  The website Amish American often has Amish posters and Q and As. No Bishop required. Discretion, yes.

Telling a story about an Amish boy and girl who had created a child out of wedlock--I find it surprising that this story would be shared online by a practicing Amish woman as well, though it (out of wedlock  pregnancies) do happen.

Could be true, but I have my doubts.

Honestly, it sounds terribly fishy to me too. An Amish person would be very unlikely to go to their bishop about posting on a blog or online. They might post online, but they'd do so in a quiet way and not draw attention themselves, especially to their bishop. Similar to picture taking, etc. The website Amish American often has Amish posters and Q and As. No Bishop required. Discretion, yes.

Telling a story about an Amish boy and girl who had created a child out of wedlock--I find it surprising that this story would be shared online by a practicing Amish woman as well, though it (out of wedlock pregnancies) do happen.

Could be true, but I have my doubts.

I didn't spend a lot of time reading there today.....that was her oldest blog post....i sort of surmised that her older stuff got deleted....so maybe someone complained or reported her?

I do agree it seems a little fishy...especially going back now and seeing it with fresh eyes after not reading for a year.

I would like to present questions to modern gypsies. I used to work in a high-end retail store in Atlanta, and they would come in the store in groups of ten-to-twenty, several generations together. They always fascinated me. :o

I would like:

...an ask an ovarian cancer survivor thread...

Also, an "ask a shapeshifter" thread... :o

My grandmother was a Gypsy turned housewife. Neat lady. She taught me how to dance and make moonshine. I was 4. Mom wasn't thrilled. She was my favorite family member. She had the neatest things from all of her travels. I think she's the reason I wear bright colors and big jewelry. Her name was Mary.

I have quite a few friends who are either in a polygamous marriage or are children in a polygamous family.  It's more common over here than some might think.  But it's not my cup of tea (Tea? :001_cool: ).

I'd find that interesting since I have a friend who wants a polygamous marriage.

I also have questions for those who live in cities. (Mega-cities, not the local definition of a city :-))

I don't now, but I've lived in Hong Kong and London.  I don't know how much interest there would be, but I'm happy to talk.....

ETA: Calvin reminds me that I've also lived in Taipei, Beijing and Paris.

L

My grandmother was a Gypsy turned housewife. Neat lady. She taught me how to dance and make moonshine. I was 4. Mom wasn't thrilled. She was my favorite family member. She had the neatest things from all of her travels. I think she's the reason I wear bright colors and big jewelry. Her name was Mary.

I know a family who made and sold alcohol during Prohibition. When the grandma older and senile, she always thought the police were coming to search for alcohol. It was really sad.

I'll do a thread if y'all want me to.

Pretty please!?!?!?!?!?  :)

I've always been fascinated by polygamous culture.  I don't think I would want to live it, not because of the multiple wives but because of the multiple children, but I think the lifestyle would be interesting to learn more about. 

I may have done one some time back. I can do one if you like. There doesn't seem to be much interest in Buddhism. It's not very controversial :)

Bahahaha. I would love it if you did. I'm reading Buddhist Bootcamp right now.