Menu

Random Topic: Tiny Houses

Mandylubug

Am I the only one that think these are the neatest things? DH and I have discussed several times how we think it would be much wiser to help our kids build their own "tiny house on wheels" than pay for their college education. Don't get me wrong, we want them to go to college if that is what they want. We just want them to be passionate about whatever they do. Our idea of success for our children is them being able to live the lifestyle they want. I would love to gift them the stability of a home that is paid for. A home that would allow them to pack it all up and chase their dreams wherever they may take them.

I have distant relatives whose mother bought a bunch of land years ago.  She parceled it out and told her kids & grandkids they could build on it if they wanted.  Most of the girls went to college and left, but most of the boys went into construction, built a house themselves without debt, and then went back to community college to become general contractors later. They are not particularly well educated, but they are all financially secure. Even the one who was disabled in an accident is financially secure enough that his stay at home wife never went back to work after his injury.

I am captivated by tiny houses, small living spaces, and houses made from shipping containers. However, I think they work more for young people,retirees, and people with small families, than our multi-generational one with teens and kids constantly around. Maybe I just dream of less house work... :o

If only there were a way to have a tiny house with a huge kitchen. I don't have much stuff otherwise, but I am not getting rid of my popover pan or my parchment rounds or latte frother or panini press. I've successfully pared down clothes, furniture, and even books. But the kitchen is my Waterloo.

I've been lusting over them for about two years.  We have four kids, so I don't really see one in our future for us…but we're hoping that when we can afford to buy a house, we'll have enough land to build one in the back for my parents.

I am captivated by tiny houses, small living spaces, and houses made from shipping containers. However, I think they work more for young people,retirees, and people with small families, than our multi-generational one with teens and kids constantly around. Maybe I just dream of less house work... :o

Oh, I totally agree! I just think this would be the NEATEST place for a young adult. Life would be so much easier to finance if a place to live was provided.

We were given land from my parents as a wedding gift and we are welcome to build on it. However, we never wanted to commit to building a home there. It is between all family and what if we wanted to sell, etc? We just couldn't commit to one house for the rest of our lives. So, we bought our home elsewhere so we wouldn't be stuck and we are probably stuck anyway. We still have 20 years on this mortgage and choosing to live on a one income lifestyle due to homeschooling. We don't regret it, but our hands are tied.

My only thoughts or questions on these tiny homes, is "what makes it different than an rv or camper?" My initial thoughts are the materials are high quality compared to RVs. I know prestige or pride wise, people would proudly state they live in a "Tiny House" but people would turn their nose up to hear a 20 year old something living in an RV/Camper.

I don't think I could live forever in one with my kids. If speaking of how I would use it now or in the future, I do see it as a great opportunity for a vacation home. Hey, you could have it near the beach and when a hurricane is coming, pack up and run! LOL Forest fires in the mountains? No problem, pack it up and RUN! Tired of the same place and dream of a new vacation spot? No problem, pack it up and RUN!

It really depends on what you want to be doing in your house and with how many people.  My grandparents had a four room house...3 bedrooms (parents, boys, girls) and kitchen.  That was it. Could've done with one less room if they'd bunked the beds, but nobody would have room to turn around in.  Some of the tiny houses I've seen are similar in that the toileting & bathing is done in an outbuilding and the cooking is outside or a one-burner.  I don't care to live with just one burner. And I don't want to be running to the outhouse after dark, I like my comfort.

I could see just building a tiny home and being debt free as well such as that. We are in the smallest house our county will allow. 1456sq ft. Our county limits the land lot size to only being so small and the house size has to be so big. These are the scenarios that just baffle me. Why not allow others to build what they wish as long as it is within building code structurally?

Well, from what I see, the town doesn't want to see a return of the unsanitary conditions that result from a lot of people living in a small space.  My neighbors are parking on the lawn, as their lot size doesn't allow them to park all the vehicles they deem necessary for their family to own.

And crowded people get cramped inside, so they go outside. And that causes problems. I turn up the AC to drown it out, but every now and then the sirens cut thru that.

What's wrong with getting an apt or mobile home if you want a smaller space than 1456 sq ft? The problem I see people having is storge space..they live in a smaller space, but they have to rent a storage unit for their stuff.

They don't allow mobile homes in our county either. There are smaller apartments "in town" but you pay high dollar for that small space. Minimum of 1,000 a month for a one bedroom.

Well, I thought of sharing a link about a homeschooled teen in Marietta GA that built a tiny house with her father/mother (father passed away after the project began  :( ) Well, I can't get the link to paste..

I am sure it is my computer being stupid.

If you're ever able to get that link to post, I would love to read it. Spent most of my childhood in Marietta and two of my kids were born there so it holds a special place in my heart. 

If you're ever able to get that link to post, I would love to read it. Spent most of my childhood in Marietta and two of my kids were born there so it holds a special place in my heart. 

http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/buzz/2014/apr/10/marietta-teens-tiny-house-huge-hit/?ecmp=ajc_social_facebook_sfp

phew, hopefully that will work, I had to write it all down and then type it back, lol

I love them. Very inspiring.

However, I live in a smaller home and want a bigger one. I don't know know whether we will add on, or just buy a larger retirement place in FL. ;)  I want my kids to visit me and have space, and if I have grandchildren someday, I have fantasies of making pizza and baking cookies with them in a bigger kitchen. If having a pony and/or a pool offers incentive, I'll try that as well.  "My mother can be a pain, but she has a pool and will babysit."

If only there were a way to have a tiny house with a huge kitchen. I don't have much stuff otherwise, but I am not getting rid of my popover pan or my parchment rounds or latte frother or panini press. I've successfully pared down clothes, furniture, and even books. But the kitchen is my Waterloo.

I actually wish the kitchen was a separate building everywhere I live, so I'd make a tiny house and a big kitchen, using two trailers!!

I love the idea of a tiny house. DH was just looking at one online a few days ago that someone built for $10,000.

I think those tiny houses are absolutely adorable... for other people. :)

I can understand a single person being able to live that way, provided they didn't have a lot of stuff, but my dh, ds, and I need our space. I can't imagine a weekend in one of those teeny little places, let alone actually trying to live in one.

I love the idea but think it would work much better in a more moderate climate.  I can't imagine being stuck inside a tiny trailer for days on end with 3 kids without the ability to get outside for a while.

The white house linked above is really cute and I would do that if it was just dh and I.

Not while we live in this tornado-prone area. What I love about them, though, is that they're so well thought out. You need less space when it isn't wasted. I would like to design my own house from scratch, with an architect's help. Mine would still probably come out at 800+ SF, though.

DH and I have talked about getting Tiny Houses. One for us and a few for the kids. :lol: I guess that defeats the purpose, no?

hahahah DH and I were just talking about that. The boys have their own, the girls their own and we have ours in the middle. We just wouldn't trust the kids to have their own gas stoves. Maybe a microwave and fridge but not a stove lol

I simply could not do it.  I love having friends over and love throwing parties and love having people I love stay with me.

However, for my more introverted teens, I think they would be thrilled to live in one right after high school while going to college and beyond.  

The story is very touching. I read it the other day in the paper.

I don't think I would do it in lieu of college because it limits them to only places with cheap land. I cannot imagine my oldest being anything but a city girl. Even in the 'burbs, land is crazy expensive. But I really can't think of much I'd do in lieu of college with the kids we have now. Oldest wants to be a lawyer and DS wants to be a vet (after MLB player doesn't work out, ha!).

I've never heard of a place limiting how small your house could be.  Around here they limit what percentage of your lot can be "impermeable surface" and how close to the boundaries and road you can be, so it limits how big your house can be.  We have 750 square feet on just under an acre.  We definitely want more space, not less. 

I agree that the small house on wheels would be limited by the cost of land.  You'd have to buy a new plot of land every time you move it, wouldn't you?

We could probably put in in our driveway area, on the grass.  We have 2.5 acres but city ordinances are fairly strict.  We aren't supposed to do that.

However, we are considering adding a garage and an apt above it that will be attached but could be self sufficient.

Dawn

I don't think I would do it in lieu of college because it limits them to only places with cheap land. I cannot imagine my oldest being anything but a city girl. Even in the 'burbs, land is crazy expensive. But I really can't think of much I'd do in lieu of college with the kids we have now. Oldest wants to be a lawyer and DS wants to be a vet (after MLB player doesn't work out, ha!).

I want to clarify, I want them to go to college. I would want them to make it happen on their own, though. I feel like, at least in my personal experience, that when you don't have to work for something, you take it for granted. I took the opportunity to go to college on my parents dime for granted. They were actually only helping me 50/50 and I still just didn't try too terribly hard. I didn't really want to go. I didn't know what I wanted truly out of life and I felt like I was just doing what I should because society tells me so. I didn't go back to college until late 20s and I footed the bill with no regrets because I was then happy to do so. I think having a roof over your head that is paid for and not living with mom and dad would allow for trial and error. It would allow for you to travel abroad if you want, it would allow for you to pursue a career in the arts, or just work part-time, etc. until you find yourself and experience being an adult for a bit. I just see it as giving you more freedom to choose your passion.

Well, DH has challenged me to find out and plan what we can do with 30,000. He'd be willing to sell our home and build something for 30k (the profit we'd make in today's current market). It wouldn't be a tiny house. It would have to meet county codes where we own our land. The prospect of being fully debt free is exciting, though.

eta: I am sure we will remain where we are. Neat to dream about other things, though.

Well, DH has challenged me to find out and plan what we can do with 30,000. He'd be willing to sell our home and build something for 30k (the profit we'd make in today's current market). It wouldn't be a tiny house. It would have to meet county codes where we own our land. The prospect of being fully debt free is exciting, though.

When looking for ideas, check out mobile homes and esp. RV plans.  They are designed to maximize storage space and have no wasted space.  That might help you come up with ideas.  Things like a bed on a platform with drawers underneath, etc. can really maximize a smaller space.

I think for DH and I to have a tiny house, we would actually need two of them.  I am simply not suited to living in close quarters with another human being.  It's not that I need loads of space, but I need to be able to be more alone more often than I think that would allow.  I don't even like staying in a hotel room with my DH.  And I love my DH.  I love doing things with him and talking to him and being with him. But I need aloneness.  I did live in a tent for an entire summer and loved it.  But it was just me!

I could pretty much live moving from bed to desk to table and back again.

I can imagine days alone spent writing and reading.

I can imagine a friend coming to visit. Many cups of tea at the table, long walks outside.

I can imagine a loft with a window that lets in stars and sun.

Can I imagine dh there with me ? Nope :) The minute the football came on the tiny TV, I'd be out of my tiny mind.

ear buds or headset... I love having that here in the house. I can't homeschool with him watching tv

I find them fascinating. However, the logistics even for a single person could be a big hindrance. Where are they going to park it? RV Park? Buy land, run septic and electric lines? I doubt our small rural town would even allow one to be permanently parked in a driveway here (although you could buy a fixer upper house for 30k). How are property taxes assessed, that's another consideration. 

I peruse tiny house plans and photos quite often, yet I think until someone starts building tiny home communities they will be hard to legally maneuver in some municipalities. 

I find them fascinating. However, the logistics even for a single person could be a big hindrance. Where are they going to park it? RV Park? Buy land, run septic and electric lines? I doubt our small rural town would even allow one to be permanently parked in a driveway here (although you could buy a fixer upper house for 30k). How are property taxes assessed, that's another consideration. 

I peruse tiny house plans and photos quite often, yet I think until someone starts building tiny home communities they will be hard to legally maneuver in some municipalities. 

I agree. It would be difficult and would take some effort. I personally wouldn't want a composting toilet and grey water system, etc. I would want septic, water, electricity, etc.. and that requires more than just up and going.

I think for DH and I to have a tiny house, we would actually need two of them. I am simply not suited to living in close quarters with another human being. It's not that I need loads of space, but I need to be able to be more alone more often than I think that would allow. I don't even like staying in a hotel room with my DH. And I love my DH. I love doing things with him and talking to him and being with him. But I need aloneness. I did live in a tent for an entire summer and loved it. But it was just me!

This is me too. I couldn't do a tiny house with my dh. He'd drive me bonkers. I need my space.

I think they're neat as a vacation getaway or for a young couple. I could live there, but it wouldn't work for my family. They're just too small to be handicapped accessible and there's no predicting when someone will need a wheelchair. It doesn't seem a sound investment for a senior couple.

I have no desire to live in a tiny house though I do think they are neat. What I do have is the desire to be debt free, so we are looking at foreclosures that have the space we need that just need some TLC. We love our huge house and awesome neighborhood, but the thought of being debt free is worth more at this point.

I think they are adorable. However I grew up in a trailer that was about the size of one of them. I would not want to do that long term. They are really just fancy trailers. One article I read, the guy put in a $1,100 stove. Some have hardwood floors, very pretty. They would be a great guest house or vacation cottage. But I think it would be much cheaper to get a trailer if I wanted or needed to live in one to save money, or if I were traveling that could be great, harder to build a tiny house you can pull around as easily as a trailer.

My current home is 1350 square feet in case you think I am used to living in a mansion! I guess having lived in that small a space while growing up, I don't have any romantic ideas about it. But some are really well done, and I can see the appeal.

I also lived in a little trailer growing up and my mom would go NUTS when we would all run around. Fast forward ten years and my dad's friends own it and invite us over for a BBQ. All of a sudden I can totally GET my poor mother and her freak outs, lol. It was a three bedroom double wide, but in the early seventies the first double wides were tiny.

I think they are adorable. However I grew up in a trailer that was about the size of one of them. I would not want to do that long term. They are really just fancy trailers. One article I read, the guy put in a $1,100 stove. Some have hardwood floors, very pretty. They would be a great guest house or vacation cottage. But I think it would be much cheaper to get a trailer if I wanted or needed to live in one to save money, or if I were traveling that could be great, harder to build a tiny house you can pull around as easily as a trailer.

My current home is 1350 square feet in case you think I am used to living in a mansion! I guess having lived in that small a space while growing up, I don't have any romantic ideas about it. But some are really well done, and I can see the appeal.

I think the big advantage over trailers would be insulation. In colder climates it would save a lit off money on heat to have an isolated tiny house rather then a trailer.

I want to clarify, I want them to go to college. I would want them to make it happen on their own, though. I feel like, at least in my personal experience, that when you don't have to work for something, you take it for granted. I took the opportunity to go to college on my parents dime for granted. They were actually only helping me 50/50 and I still just didn't try too terribly hard. I didn't really want to go. I didn't know what I wanted truly out of life and I felt like I was just doing what I should because society tells me so. I didn't go back to college until late 20s and I footed the bill with no regrets because I was then happy to do so. I think having a roof over your head that is paid for and not living with mom and dad would allow for trial and error. It would allow for you to travel abroad if you want, it would allow for you to pursue a career in the arts, or just work part-time, etc. until you find yourself and experience being an adult for a bit. I just see it as giving you more freedom to choose your passion.

I do not see how having a small house would give freedom. It's not like they could take it everywhere they went- it would limit their mobility. They'd have much more freedom NOT having any house of their own at all, but simply renting as needed.

To clarify: it is not about the small size. I moved overseas for two years with a backpack and a suitcase. It is about owning a house at all. You don't know where life/work takes you - you may not have a place to put the house anywhere and it would be useless.

As far as college is concerned: I come from a place where college education is free for all. there are slackers like here, and there are people who work extremely hard, without having paid tens of thousands of dollars or their education.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/products/elm

If you click on various house names you can "tour" the inside. I just mentioned to dh the idea of "Tiny Houses," and he asked: "Why? Are people getting smaller?"

If I was by myself, this is the way to live, less to clean, much less to heat and cool...the only thing that worries me...I have not seen a bathroom in any of the pics.

ETA: here is one: Click on the "Elm" house and scroll through the gallery

There is a 300sq foot home here in town from the 1850s. Apparently, the family raised 7 children in it (yes 7!!). They slept both on the kitchen table and under it.

A few years back, we did live in 300sq ft when my dh was working at home and we had a baby (first ds). My sister and husband came to visit and stayed with us for 3 weeks. It is kind of fun to be forced to be creative with space. We were forced into it because we returned to NZ after 9/11 and there was a massive housing shortage as lots of ex pats came home, and many people planning to go overseas decided to stay at home. We lived there for 9 months, and really enjoyed it. Small spaces encourage communal living and close family interactions.

Now at 600sq ft, our home seems quite spacious.

Ruth in NZ

Not while we live in this tornado-prone area. What I love about them, though, is that they're so well thought out. You need less space when it isn't wasted. I would like to design my own house from scratch, with an architect's help. Mine would still probably come out at 800+ SF, though.

You just need an emergency cellar. If a tornado tips up a tiny house, it's less expensive to repair/replace than a big one.