Menu

Anyone watching 19 Kids and Counting now?

Mom2Two

You know what kind of creeps me out? I just looked at several photos of Jana, Jessa, Jill, and Jinger together and well, it kind of scares me. They have the same hair...one girl's is slightly longer and ever so slightly curlier, but it is the same hairstyle for all four. They all hold their head the same way...and frankly...it's the same pose and look that the Botkin sisters have at every Vision Forum event. Same. I kid you not...between those four and Botkin girls, they could be sextuplets. Even the make-up colors are the same...same pale pink on the cheeks and lips, same color foundation or powder, same nude and pink combo shades on the eyes, you name it. Their pose and body language is EXACTLY like the Botkin sisters, the most famous maidens of the dominionist world.

Not an ounce of individuality. I mean the girls are lookers, big time lookers, and with daddy making a boatload off the show (TLC said a couple of years ago that they pay $95,000 per episode and $100,000 per special) and the notoriety they have, I'm sure this means they are little prizes for patriarchial boys. But, I just have to worry about any young adult who does not appear to have an individual identity. Don't any of them want different make-up, hair, a look that isn't same as their sister?

Never heard of the Botkin girls (I don't follow the Vision Forum things, so I had to google.   Found this...

"Overcoming Botkin Syndrome"...http://botkinsyndrome.blogspot.com

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be clear, I am not judging Jim Bob for stepping in between Michelle and creepy Doug P in that one instance; I'm turned off by the idea that she is some sort of voiceless piece of property, that she is Jim Bob's with an apostrophe s to protect/defend. That's just the impression I get. This one instance wouldn't necessarily give me that impression itself if it weren't known that they are Gothard/ATI/Vision Forum followers. Yes, I am probably projecting a bit on account of that.

I have no idea how Jim Bob views Michelle, but I didnt get any kind of negative impression from that particular video. He acted very sweetly and lovingly toward her, and I didn't get the slighest impression that he was treating her like property. What did you see that I missed?  :confused:

I will say, though, that Jim Bob seems to be truly in love with Michelle, even after all these years and all those kids, and I don't believe he's a good enough actor to have been pretending about his love and respect for her, just for the sake of their image and the TV show. The show has been on for a LONG time, and if he was mistreating Michelle, I think regular viewers would have gotten at least an inkling of that by now.

I don't know, Cat. It just rubbed me the wrong way. I can't explain it very well, I'm afraid.

ETA: and like I said, I don't think Jim Bob did anything wrong, on the contrary--it just seems to be a one-way street, I guess. Like I said, I think it's the whole "vibe."

No problem -- I don't really pay much attention to the Duggars except when someone starts a thread here about them, so that's why I was asking what I was missing!  :)

Here are a couple of pics if I can get them to load properly. One is of the four Duggar girls, and the other of the two Botkin gals.

I can think of a lot of family portraits that look like that.  :confused1:   I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here.

Here are a couple of pics if I can get them to load properly. One is of the four Duggar girls, and the other of the two Botkin gals.

I think it is just the ATI/Gothard approved hairstyle. The Duggar girls do look more natural and approachable.

Again with the judgement in this thread... 

I am not and have never been a fan of Gothard or Phillips.  I also have issues with some of the Duggards' stated political persuasions.  However, Jill and her fiance look like a normal, happy young couple to me.  Her father introduced them; so what?  I had already met my husband at her age, but if I hadn't, I think I'd be thrilled if my father introduced me to an educated, attractive, romantic (according to Jill), dedicated Christian guy.

Many Christian women choose to have long hair and wear modest clothing based on their understanding of Scripture.  Yes, it's going to make them look somewhat similar.  There's nothing wrong with that.  Now, as I understand it, Gothard has over the years given specific instructions to women on hairstyle, makeup, etc.  I do find that creepy and inappropriate.  Teaching Biblical modesty is one thing; it sounds like he was doing something different.  However, I don't know these girls, and neither does anyone here.  I think it's wrong to judge their motivations and thought processes.  We're not mind readers, and we don't know why they choose to look the way they do.  They are lovely, however.

I can think of a lot of family portraits that look like that.  :confused1:   I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here.

Well, two things...one that while I've seen a lot of family photos with color coordination, I've never seen ones with older girls that all had the same hair and same make-up. They were much more individual looking despite color coordination or matching outfits. Since the hairstyle is the same also as the Botkin girls who belong to the same organizations as the Duggars, it struck me as weird or controlling.

Then someone mentioned Gothard. It should have remembered that first hand. In his newsletters (guidelines for followers) he prescribes exact hair styles - long preferably blond or dark blond, wavy or slightly curly, and face framing. He lays out specifics about make up, colors, etc. So, they are all just following Gothard's prescription, which of course means that there isn't any individuality. They are supposed to all look the same.

Around here, even when families do photos dressing alike, the older the kid, the more individual they look...hairstyles, etc. and especially amongst the girls. Even in the family of eight, very conservative, that lives two blocks north, their four teenage daughters though resembling each other genetically, all choose very different things.

However, the one thing about ATI and Vision Forum that one can say is individuality, and particularly amongst the females, is not encouraged. That is what struck me.

Well, two things...one that while I've seen a lot of family photos with color coordination, I've never seen ones with older girls that all had the same hair and same make-up. They were much more individual looking despite color coordination or matching outfits. Since the hairstyle is the same also as the Botkin girls who belong to the same organizations as the Duggars, it struck me as weird or controlling.

Then someone mentioned Gothard. It should have remembered that first hand. In his newsletters (guidelines for followers) he prescribes exact hair styles - long preferably blond or dark blond, wavy or slightly curly, and face framing. He lays out specifics about make up, colors, etc. So, they are all just following Gothard's prescription, which of course means that there isn't any individuality. They are supposed to all look the same.

Around here, even when families do photos dressing alike, the older the kid, the more individual they look...hairstyles, etc. and especially amongst the girls. Even in the family of eight, very conservative, that lives two blocks north, their four teenage daughters though resembling each other genetically, all choose very different things.

However, the one thing about ATI and Vision Forum that one can say is individuality, and particularly amongst the females, is not encouraged. That is what struck me.

I have friends who grew up performing together as a family--singing, music, dance, etc.. The girls all tended to do their hair and makeup the same, I kinda think it was part of the performing together thing. I guess I see the Duggars as essentially performing together...

I really don't see anything weird about sisters having similar hairstyles and makeup, that alone would not be a flag for me of anything unusual going on.

I don't know, Cat. It just rubbed me the wrong way. I can't explain it very well, I'm afraid.

ETA: and like I said, I don't think Jim Bob did anything wrong, on the contrary--it just seems to be a one-way street, I guess. Like I said, I think it's the whole "vibe."

I'm tracking your vibe...

I usually enjoy the Duggars, but Jim Bob's behavior on the double date is in one word....inappropriate!  Sorry-trivial I know, but I just had to get it off my chest.

Yes, my daughter and I watched that one and I totally agree with you.  I also usually enjoy them, but he was way out of line.  I was surprised to see him acting that way.

Thanks for explaining!

Gothard's standards are bothersome to me, but I still know sisters who take photos likes these and they almost look like twins, triplets, and so on.  It's very normal.

Even if we don't agree with the groups the patriarchial families typically adhere to, how they look alike isn't much different from other groups we would support.  People tend to dress and act the same as the people around them.  They make friends with people they share the same interests with.  It's normal.  Just because some groups don't make a public statement about how their group should dress and act, doesn't mean the unwritten rule isn't there.

I disagree with you about it being mostly about the females not having any individuality.  The men feel the pressure just as much, believe me.  They are told being employed by an employer is not as honorable as the man with his own business.  (Yet, they have to employ other men to work their business?  Don't get me started.)  They do have dress standards that, like I said above, are unwritten rules.  Go to one of their conferences and the men won't look much different from each other either.  These men must have a wife, many children (who are biological, not adopted), and homeschooling.  They also have to have a wife that is submissive and children who obey at first command.  This is just a short list, but if any of these things fall short, the men are looked down upon, if not "disciplined".

We need to keep all that in perspective, though, because men get the same unspoken rules written on them in the rest of the world, too, and the pressure is on to conform.  It happens everywhere you go.  When they step out of line, they are also "disciplined", but in a different way.  The same is true for women.

The Duggars aren't different from any of the rest of us.  They have a set of beliefs and they live by them.  Don't we all live by what we believe to be true?  At some point, we've all been hypocritical about our beliefs and how we actually live.  One is free to disagree with them, but that doesn't mean you're necessarily right.  In many cases, it's not right or wrong, but just a preference.  Keep that in mind.  ;)

I find it odd that some of you are using this thread to have a discussion about something that has nothing to do with what the OP was talking about.  You should have done a spin off tread... IMHO.

Good discussion usually works like that in real life.  I find it odd people think all posts in the virtual world should always stay on topic, because somehow that is different from how real life conversations happen.  Didn't you just go "off topic" to make a statement unrelated to the OP?  ;)

Good discussion usually works like that in real life.  I find it odd people think all posts in the virtual world should always stay on topic, because somehow that is different from how real life conversations happen.  Didn't you just go "off topic" to make a statement unrelated to the OP?  ;)

I guess I did.  Anyone read any good books lately? :lol:

In our state, it is considered practicing medicine- hence why any midwife other than one practicing under a doctor (CPMs and lay midwives don't) are illegal in our state. So, anyone attending a home birth not practicing under an MD is doing so illegally here. We are close to the state line, so many people head across the border to find a CPM birth center to birth in (and some in hotels).

Eww. 

Is Jana-the 24 year old courting with anyone?  Her two younger sisters are obviously courting/engaged but I wondered about Jana. 

I think that Jim Bob and Michelle truly love each other and seem like a happy couple, but the things he was doing with her (rubbing up against her from behind, for example) on the double date, were strange to be doing in front of his daughter and her very nervous boyfriend.  Jim Bob commented that he liked doing things with Michelle that "they couldn't do yet" since they were only courting.

Is Jana-the 24 year old courting with anyone?  Her two younger sisters are obviously courting/engaged but I wondered about Jana. 

I think that Jim Bob and Michelle truly love each other and seem like a happy couple, but the things he was doing with her (rubbing up against her from behind, for example) on the double date, were strange to be doing in front of his daughter and her very nervous boyfriend.  Jim Bob commented that he liked doing things with Michelle that "they couldn't do yet" since they were only courting.

Well, now I really think I'm going to have to watch the episode.  Seems like it will spark some good discussion from Dh.  Not sure I want to watch w/ Dc though!

These men must have a wife, many children (who are biological, not adopted), and homeschooling. 

As an adoptive parent this just rubs me VERY wrong.  What about couples that struggle with infertility (and I know that some groups feel that infertility is a result of some STDs that were gotten by immoral conduct before marriage---which might be true in some cases but certainly not all)?  I know that some groups (I think Gothard) are against adoption as you then bring into your bio family the sins of the adopted child's birth family.

What about the Biblical principals of caring for the orphans?  Our own adoption by God the Father------and we certainly came with our own sins, etc.

And as do the father rubbing up against the mom in front of the young man and making comments about "you can't do this yet" just sits VERY wrong with me.  I have NO problem with a mom and dad showing affection in front of their kids, etc. but that just seems a bit over the top and creepy.

Doulas do not practice medicine. Midwives do.

Just clarifying :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwifery_in_the_United_States

I imagine if a midwife is willing to be shown attending births on national television she must have a license to practice in her state.

I am a CPM.   I am educated in and practice midwifery.  I do not practice medicine.  Two very, VERY different fields of practice.  

CNMs don't need to practice "under a doctor's license" bc they are licensed in their own right.  

Depends on the state.  Some states require that they practice under an MD in some fashion. 

I find it odd that an unlicensed person attending a birth can be prosecuted for practicing medicine without a license, but a licensed midwife doing the same thing is considered to not be practicing medicine--if a person without a license is practicing medicine shouldn't a person with a license be practicing medicine if they engage in the same activity? I bow, however, before the vagaries of legal terminology

A lot of it has to do with the medical community not having much of a clue as to what midwifery is, "rogue" midwives who do overstep their scope of practice, a medical community that for some reason thinks we are taking away their business, a medical community that thinks midwifery is dangerous and that we are not properly and fully trained, etc.  So when they do come after midwives, they will say she was "practicing medicine without a license".  It's a really messed up system and I agree that it is odd.  

Some states have a midwifery license available.  So the midwife may choose to be licensed in midwifery, not medicine.  If she wants to be licensed in medicine she can go to medical school and become a medical provider.  

And now back to the Duggar discussion.   :)

I know it's off-topic but I want to say that I was cared for in my last pregnancy by a direct-entry midwife (legal in FL).  They were the only ones who would care for me as I went most of the pregnancy without insurance. I called numerous OB offices and they all wanted thousands of dollars up-front to give me pre-natal care.  Between my endocrinologist who helped me manage my diabetes and my direct entry midwife, I received excellent care. She charged me $100/visit.  My endo charged me $80 for an office visit and then managed me the rest of my pregnancy for free. (Note: I had gone through three prior pregnancies with gestational diabetes.)

One of the most famous midwives, Ina May Gaskin, too, was direct entry.

While, in general, I think that a CNM makes sense, I want to put it out there that there are some excellent direct entry midwives too.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Does anyone watch Sister Wives. Thank goodness Jim Bob doesn't hasn't thought of that...the show would be 76 Kids and Counting.

:lol:

Those sister wives would be lucky to have Jim Bob as a husband, if you compare him with that dolt they were all clueless enough to marry.

And remember, I'm not even all that crazy about Jim Bob. :D

Certified NURSE midwives are practicing medicine (under an MD, the only person who is allowed to officially practice medicine) as a practitioner, but Lay midwives (the apprenticeship that Jill is going through) do not. She did not (and has not) received any training to be a nurse or a nurse midwife.

http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/programsServices/familyHealth/WomensHealth/Pages/LayMidwifery.aspx

Arkansas is pretty laid back about lay midwives, but in many states, they are completely illegal (and arrested for practicing medicine).

Well in my state, lay midwives have to pass the medical board tests for licensing, are able to offer pitocin after birth for hemorrhage, and other medical interventions if necessary. Although I don't consider birth to be medical if there are no issues, the fact that they are licensed through our medical board would lead me to believe they are, in some ways, practicing medicine.

Again with the judgement in this thread...

I am not and have never been a fan of Gothard or Phillips. I also have issues with some of the Duggards' stated political persuasions. However, Jill and her fiance look like a normal, happy young couple to me. Her father introduced them; so what? I had already met my husband at her age, but if I hadn't, I think I'd be thrilled if my father introduced me to an educated, attractive, romantic (according to Jill), dedicated Christian guy.

Many Christian women choose to have long hair and wear modest clothing based on their understanding of Scripture. Yes, it's going to make them look somewhat similar. There's nothing wrong with that. Now, as I understand it, Gothard has over the years given specific instructions to women on hairstyle, makeup, etc. I do find that creepy and inappropriate. Teaching Biblical modesty is one thing; it sounds like he was doing something different. However, I don't know these girls, and neither does anyone here. I think it's wrong to judge their motivations and thought processes. We're not mind readers, and we don't know why they choose to look the way they do. They are lovely, however.

Agreed. I don't really have an issue with the fact that he introduced them. He didn't force them to like one another, and Jill asked Jim Bob to take her to Nepal to meet him because she didn't want to wait 2 months for him to return. Frankly, I'd like him. He's pretty cute! I think they're relationship seems more normal than Jessa's and Ben's. Ben is just so young. Of course, the camera probably makes him seem more awkward than he really is.

Guest submarines

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Agreed. I don't really have an issue with the fact that he introduced them. He didn't force them to like one another, and Jill asked Jim Bob to take her to Nepal to meet him because she didn't want to wait 2 months for him to return. Frankly, I'd like him. He's pretty cute! I think they're relationship seems more normal than Jessa's and Ben's. Ben is just so young. Of course, the camera probably makes him seem more awkward than he really is.

Ben and Jessa are very awkward. It looks to me like she is not in to him like he his to her. I wonder if this courtship will last. Then again I wonder if he is really likes her or he is into the fame of being with someone on tv.

Well in my state, lay midwives have to pass the medical board tests for licensing, are able to offer pitocin after birth for hemorrhage, and other medical interventions if necessary. Although I don't consider birth to be medical if there are no issues, the fact that they are licensed through our medical board would lead me to believe they are, in some ways, practicing medicine.

I looked it up, as this was the first I have heard of a Board of Medicine licensing Midwives, but it looks like the website handles licensing for most allied health professionals.

"Established in 1894, the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners (LSBME) protects the health, welfare and safety of Louisiana citizens against the unprofessional, improper, and unauthorized practice of medicine by ensuring that those who practice medicine and other allied health professions under our jurisdiction are qualified and competent to do so.   In addition, the Board serves in an advisory capacity to the public and the state with respect to the practice of medicine."

http://www.lsbme.la.gov/licensure/index

From the list, it licenses everyone from accupuncture assistants to respiratory therapists to lab techs to radiology techs (pretty much everything but nurses as the board of nursing has done this) as an allied health professional. But, it is interesting! Most states don't license most of those allied health professionals, and it seems like a good idea to help govern like physicians and nurses have for years. They are definitely following their mission statement as quoted above! I think it would be excellent if more states did this. :)

I looked it up, as this was the first I have heard of a Board of Medicine licensing Midwives, but it looks like the website handles licensing for most allied health professionals.

"Established in 1894, the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners (LSBME) protects the health, welfare and safety of Louisiana citizens against the unprofessional, improper, and unauthorized practice of medicine by ensuring that those who practice medicine and other allied health professions under our jurisdiction are qualified and competent to do so.   In addition, the Board serves in an advisory capacity to the public and the state with respect to the practice of medicine."

http://www.lsbme.la.gov/licensure/index

From the list, it licenses everyone from accupuncture assistants to respiratory therapists to lab techs to radiology techs (pretty much everything but nurses as the board of nursing has done this) as an allied health professional. But, it is interesting! Most states don't license most of those allied health professionals, and it seems like a good idea to help govern like physicians and nurses have for years. They are definitely following their mission statement as quoted above! I think it would be excellent if more states did this. :)

Many states license midwives and doctors through their Department of Professional Regulation, which is the same department that licenses professional engineers.  Nothing medical about them as I am married to one (PE that is.)

FWIW, I love watching the Duggars because they fascinate me to some degree, but I thought JimBob was a little over the top on these last couple episodes. I was impressed that he took Jill to Nepal to basically follow her heart and see how she felt about Derick. I do feel like they support their kids (probably only when they are in agreement with their choices). It saddens me because I don't think they are uneducated people. I can't believe they, or anyone who is an independent thinker, can follow Gothard's teachings. That part really saddens me and I hope some of the girls will break away from that a little bit in their own lives.

I will add that in the link about Jill Duggar, they have some pictures that look a little cuddly. I'm surprised this was allowed. The one where Jill has her hand on her guy's chest WHILE side-hugging; kinda close for comfort for JimBob...

I hardly know who these people are, but just looked at the family link. They have a Joy-anna and a Johannah in the same family?

I guess when you have that many kids, you start running out of names, particularly when you insist on all of the names starting with the same letter. ;)

I hardly know who these people are, but just looked at the family link.  They have a Joy-anna and a Johannah in the same family? 

And a Jinger - with a J.  I noticed some time ago they have no kid named Jamie (my husband is named Jamie).  My husband suggested that perhaps Jamie is too sex-ambiguous for them.  They seem to like to have definite male vs. female names even if that means taking the name Ginger and replacing the first G with a J.

And a Jinger - with a J. I noticed some time ago they have no kid named Jamie (my husband is named Jamie). My husband suggested that perhaps Jamie is too sex-ambiguous for them. They seem to like to have definite male vs. female names even if that means taking the name Ginger and replacing the first G with a J.

I'm concerned that if they keep having kids, it's only a matter of time before there's a Jar-Jar Duggar.

And that would be wrong.

I guess when you have that many kids, you start running out of names, particularly when you insist on all of the names starting with the same letter. ;)

I'm thinking Jezebel is out.

The Duggar girls curling their hair wouldn't raise an eyebrow if they didn't all do it as if it was some kind of rule

Do we know for a fact that this is the case? Don't at least some of them have naturally curly hair? The fact that they have particular religious and cultural beliefs doesn't mean that there is a hidden subtext behind every. single. thing. they do.

Do we know for a fact that this is the case? Don't at least some of them have naturally curly hair? The fact that they have particular religious and cultural beliefs doesn't mean that there is a hidden subtext behind every. single. thing. they do.

Long hair on women is a known rule/expectation of the subculture they are affiliated with.

And the show in the past have featured Duggars themselves saying JB prefers it on "his girls".

They said in early years on the show that they all had permed hair.

And Gothard taught that all women should have long wavy hair.

It's definitely required in their ATI culture.