Menu

It's official common sense is dead

Flowing Brook

My sister is pregnant and yesterday I took her to try to apply for medicaid.  They told her she needed proof of pregnancy. A signed document from a dr or nurse stating that she is pregnant and an estimated due date.  She is 20 wks btw.  So she called her regular primary care physician that knows she is pregnant. He said he could not give her the note as he was not the one that originally diagnosed her as pregnant. So she went to the er that saw her a few weeks ago when she was having some pregnancy related complications. She got her medical records that states that they did an ultrasound and there is a live fetus approximately 17 weeks. It was not signed and there was no due date. So the medical records facility told her to go to the er and see if someone there would sign it. They told her they could not sign it because they did not do a urinalysis and therefore could not confirm the pregnancy. Forget the fact that they saw a live baby in her uterus. And they have a record of the heart beat.  They don't know for sure she's pregnant.

So my sister calls another place that she had an ultrasound done at. They don't even have her in their records so they can't give her any help.  Everyone keeps telling her to go to an ob. No ob in her area will take her because she does not have medicaid and she does not have 4,000 dollars up front. So tell me folks what's a person to do?  I don't know that I'm really looking for advice just wanted to say that for sure common sense has flown out the window possibly never to return.

eta:I just wanted to clarify in case anyone misunderstood me. I have no problem whatsoever with medicaid and their requirement. I think it is perfectly reasonable. What I have a problem with is the fact that two different doctors know she is pregnant and won't verify it based on what seems to me very illogical reasons.

My sister is pregnant and yesterday I took her to try to apply for medicaid. They told her she needed proof of pregnancy. A signed document from a dr or nurse stating that she is pregnant and an estimated due date. She is 20 wks btw. So she called her regular primary care physician that knows she is pregnant. He said he could not give her the note as he was not the one that originally diagnosed her as pregnant. So she went to the er that saw her a few weeks ago when she was having some pregnancy related complications. She got her medical records that states that they did an ultrasound and there is a live fetus approximately 17 weeks. It was not signed and there was no due date. So the medical records facility told her to go to the er and see if someone there would sign it. They told her they could not sign it because they did not do a urinalysis and therefore could not confirm the pregnancy. Forget the fact that they saw a live baby in her uterus. And they have a record of the heart beat. They don't know for sure she's pregnant.
So my sister calls another place that she had an ultrasound done at. They don't even have her in their records so they can't give her any help. Everyone keeps telling her to go to an ob. No ob in her area will take her because she does not have medicaid and she does not have 4,000 dollars up front. So tell me folks what's a person to do? I don't know that I'm really looking for advice just wanted to say that for sure common sense has flown out the window possibly never to return.

OK...what about she walks in, pulls down her pants, pees on a stick in front of them and waits for the + sign to show up?

Edit to add: congrats to your sister and I hope you can find a clinic to give you the paper work.

With my first baby, Medicaid told me they would reimburse me for the cost of the pregnancy test at my family doctor.  So I paid out of pocket ($25 maybe?) and I think they told me that I could file for a reimbursement for it after I qualified for Medicaid.  Maybe have her look into that...

(I don't know if this is still the case.)

Ridiculous. I would go back to my regular doctor, as that excuse doesn't make sense. So what if he wasn't the person who was the first to confirm the pregnancy. Hasn't he or someone on his staff done any pregnancy-related/prenatal tests since then? If not, why can't they now?

I would go to Planned Parenthood and have it done.  Every PP I've been to was wonderfully helpful, and the people are always great.

I had to apply for state insurance when I was pregnant with dd.  I was something like six or seven months pregnant, largely, visibly pregnant, and when I went it the social services person told me that she couldn't take my word for it that I was pregnant, and I'd have to have the medical records sent to their office.  I suppose they do get the occasional person who lies about being pregnant to get benefits, but still, it was annoying.  It wasn't even having to provide the proof, but that she looked at me so skeptically when I told her I was pregnant.  I don't know if she thought I had a watermelon under there or what, lol.

Yea I got a run around life that with my first pregnancy.  Dr. heard heart beat and all but when it came time for me to get proof of pregnancy for Medicaid they needed me to pee in a cup and take a pregnancy test.  I flat out refused because of how ridiculous it was.  They wanted me to come in, pay for an appointment to pee on a stick and have the result read by the nurse.  I happily told them to shove it and found a new place.  Called the Birth Center (run by midwives) they mailed me the proof of pregnancy before my first appointment since I had already heard the heartbeat.

My sister is pregnant and yesterday I took her to try to apply for medicaid.  They told her she needed proof of pregnancy. A signed document from a dr or nurse stating that she is pregnant and an estimated due date.  She is 20 wks btw.  So she called her regular primary care physician that knows she is pregnant. He said he could not give her the note as he was not the one that originally diagnosed her as pregnant. So she went to the er that saw her a few weeks ago when she was having some pregnancy related complications. She got her medical records that states that they did an ultrasound and there is a live fetus approximately 17 weeks. It was not signed and there was no due date. So the medical records facility told her to go to the er and see if someone there would sign it. They told her they could not sign it because they did not do a urinalysis and therefore could not confirm the pregnancy. Forget the fact that they saw a live baby in her uterus. And they have a record of the heart beat.  They don't know for sure she's pregnant.

So my sister calls another place that she had an ultrasound done at. They don't even have her in their records so they can't give her any help.  Everyone keeps telling her to go to an ob. No ob in her area will take her because she does not have medicaid and she does not have 4,000 dollars up front. So tell me folks what's a person to do?  I don't know that I'm really looking for advice just wanted to say that for sure common sense has flown out the window possibly never to return.

Take her to a "Crisis Pregnancy Center." Hopefully there is one in your area. They usually do free preg test (urine) and she should be able to get a "verficiation letter" there as well which she can take to Medicaid. At least, this is how it works in CA.

Call ahead to make sure you go in on a day when a RN or doc is at the center since medical professionals often volunteer their time at these places, one cannot take it for granted that they are there every day.

A pregnancy help center can give her a free pregnancy test and a proof of pregnancy document.  (I believe a urine pregnancy test should still work at 20 weeks--see americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html.)  They can also help get her signed up for any aid for which she is eligible and provide referrals for prenatal care.  Many also offer free baby clothes and supplies.  You can find one in your area here: optionline.org/get-help

Good luck!

Have her go to a local pregnancy center, they will do a free test and give her proof of pregnancy, for the purpose of getting Medicaid.

Also, most states do reimburse 3 months of health care when using Medicaid. If anything, she makes an appointment with an OB as self pay, then after the appointment she can tell them to send her a bill. If anything, a doctors office may require her to pay a small portion at the visit, but can Bill her for the rest. As soon as Medicaid is approved, she can just tell the OB office to bill Medicaid.

Congrats to your sister, I hope she can get the help she needs quickly!

That's what happens when there are rules to be followed and efforts made to reduce medicaid fraud. Sad but true. It's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

So medicaid needs one signed document with due date--go to a pregnancy clinic and get it; no explanations of earlier happenings needed.  Comments such as "they don't know she's pregnant" do nothing but make you appear as silly as the rules.

Um why is it not equally as silly on the doctors part for them to not be able to sign a confirmed pregnancy note when they have an ultrasound they provided. They can figure out a due date based on their ultrasound. Actually it was the administrator at the hospital that stated they don't know for sure she's pregnant.

I'm not upset by any of this and understand that there are rules to be followed.

I've always gone to Planned Parenthood to get that necessary piece of paper.  That's what they're there for.

I agree with going to PP. I would not go to a "crisis pregnancy center" as many of them in my experience exist solely to talk women out of having abortions and have no medical facility.

I didn't know that about crises pregnancy centers. Thanks for posting that.

Urine test should work throughout pregnancy. HCG levels drop after the first trimester, but not down to anywhere near low enough to be undetectable.

It is ridiculous and untrue that they are saying that they can't verify pregnancy from the ultrasound. This is actually considered a more concrete sign than a urine test, as a positive urine test can result from certain hormonal conditions. 

Good grief!

A friend of mine had a horrible time getting on TennCare when she was pregnant. Took her months of calling, sending forms in triplicate, etc. Finally when she was about 7 months along she called again to ask again if they had gotten her paperwork filed, etc., and the lady on the phone said "Honey, I don't know what the ("blankety blanks") in this office have been telling you, but I can have you all signed up and ready to go in about 15 seconds. And there you go, dear. Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

OK...what about she walks in, pulls down her pants, pees on a stick in front of them and waits for the + sign to show up?

Edit to add: congrats to your sister and I hope you can find a clinic to give you the paper work.

I like this idea. Although they would probably accuse her of using a phony test.

Common sense is dead............at least where government programs come in.

The other day I tried to update my son's earnings statement on line.  He is on disability (mental impairment) but has a 3 hour a week job.  The computer wouldn't let me continue so I called the help number.  The lady on the other end of the line said that I could NOT file this for him online as that would be fraud since I am not him.  He though can not do it on line as I am his legal guardian and therefore he can not handle his own legal matters.  She was adamant though that I could NOT do this but then again neither could he.....................we ended up mailing in the proofs.  He put them in the envelop and I addressed them so hopefully that was legal :-)

I agree with going to PP. I would not go to a "crisis pregnancy center" as many of them in my experience exist solely to talk women out of having abortions and have no medical facility.

Almost all crisis pregnancy centers give free pregnancy tests.  I've never known one that didn't.  This does not, of course, make them medical facilities, but then neither are WIC offices, and several people have recommended those.  Many pregnancy centers also have volunteer ultrasound technicians and nurses on staff and will provide free ultrasounds in their office.  In addition, they very often provide material assistance and prenatal and parenting classes and can help women sign up for programs like WIC and low-cost insurance.  All their services are free.

They are undeniably pro-life and do not perform or give referrals for abortions.

ETA:  Not all pregnancy centers are religious.  Birthright centers, for example, are not.

Common sense is dead............at least where government programs come in.

The other day I tried to update my son's earnings statement on line. He is on disability (mental impairment) but has a 3 hour a week job. The computer wouldn't let me continue so I called the help number. The lady on the other end of the line said that I could NOT file this for him online as that would be fraud since I am not him. He though can not do it on line as I am his legal guardian and therefore he can not handle his own legal matters. She was adamant though that I could NOT do this but then again neither could he.....................we ended up mailing in the proofs. He put them in the envelop and I addressed them so hopefully that was legal :-)

We need to know how the envelope was sealed, and if it was licked, please submit DNA samples from everyone in the house.

Almost all crisis pregnancy centers give free pregnancy tests. I've never known one that didn't. This does not, of course, make them medical facilities, but then neither are WIC offices, and several people have recommended those.

The OP stated, "A signed document from a dr or nurse stating that she is pregnant and an estimated due date.

A pregnancy test won't do anything for the latter half of that statement. And just because *you* have experience with some that provide pregnancy tests doesn't negate my personal experience.

Many pregnancy centers also have volunteer ultrasound technicians and nurses on staff and will provide free ultrasounds in their office.

I didn't say "pregnancy center." I was speaking specifically about *some* centers (I never said all) that advertise themselves as "crisis pregnancy centers."

In addition, they very often provide material assistance and prenatal and parenting classes and can help women sign up for programs like WIC and low-cost insurance. All their services are free.

Planned Parenthood can refer women to all of those things without taking your chances at what you are walking into.

ETA: Not all pregnancy centers are religious. Birthright centers, for example, are not.

Nowhere did I say all of anything was anything. But, you usually don't know ahead of time what you are going to get. Most of the crisis pregnancy centers *I* have encountered cannot do ultrasounds and would therefore not be helpful to the OP. PP works on a sliding income scale and is specifically there to help women without a primary agenda of preventing abortions.

When we took our first overseas posting, I had one child and another on the way.  The extra child would allow us larger living quarters but the baby wasn't due to arrive until after we were already on post. I was told to bring 'proof of pregnancy' to verify that we would qualify for the larger quarters. I walked into the housing office 8 months pregnant and they still asked to see the paper work! :001_rolleyes:

:svengo:

Another example of good intentions (to prevent fraud) which actually end up making it much harder for people who qualify and deserve services to receive them. 

I am not sure these rules are always well-intentioned, frankly. I think they're often roadblocks to reduce the number of people willing to deal with the hassle, and therefore fewer people to get the medical care they need. Another stupid one is after the baby is born, the parent is required to prove the child is a US citizen in order to enroll the child in Medicaid. Guess what, being born in the US makes the baby a citizen. Not really an issue. But no, there has to be a separate paper for that. 

The OP stated, "A signed document from a dr or nurse stating that she is pregnant and an estimated due date.

A pregnancy test won't do anything for the latter half of that statement. And just because *you* have experience with some that provide pregnancy tests doesn't negate my personal experience.

I didn't say "pregnancy center." I was speaking specifically about *some* centers (I never said all) that advertise themselves as "crisis pregnancy centers."

Planned Parenthood can refer women to all of those things without taking your chances at what you are walking into.

Nowhere did I say all of anything was anything. But, you usually don't know ahead of time what you are going to get. Most of the crisis pregnancy centers *I* have encountered cannot do ultrasounds and would therefore not be helpful to the OP. PP works on a sliding income scale and is specifically there to help women without a primary agenda of preventing abortions.

Thanks for your reply, Mrs. Mungo.  I worked for many years, in different states, in a position tangentially related to crisis pregnancy centers.  I've researched many, many CPC's. I've spoken to college nursing classes specifically about crisis pregnancy centers and related topics. I don't know of any that don't provide urine pregnancy tests.  There may be some; I'm obviously not omniscient, but I do know a fair amount about the topic.   ;)    

The terms "pregnancy care center" and "crisis pregnancy center" are generally used interchangeably.  "Crisis pregnancy center" is falling out of favor due to its negative connotation.

I searched the pregnancy care centers close to my zipcode.  Nine provide ultrasounds and two do not.  That's actually more than I would have expected.  The OP could search in her area to see what's available.

I've also done extensive research, over many years, on Planned Parenthood, using their own information.  I personally don't think Planned Parenthood is without their own agenda.  Many people, myself included, would not be comfortable walking into that environment or taking a friend or family member there.  That, of course, is up to the OP.

My statement about not all pregnancy centers being religious was intended as a general informational comment, lest anyone think that all centers are religiously affiliated.  Some explicitly are not, and some women might be more comfortable going to those.

Have a good Sunday!

This is through your social services department?  If she is already covered under anything like Plan First, I KNOW that it is NOT a federal requirement that a person must provide proof of pregnancy.  I don't know about new applicants, but *in my state,* existing MC clients are routinely back dated for coverage.  You're six months PG and you have Plan First? Call to report your pregnancy, and you'll automatically be back dated to the estimated date of conception.

If she's applying for the first time through the office, that would require proof. I would call SS and ask exactly what constitutes proof under the law. What if she brings in a positive PG test done at home? (Seriously. People have, but I don't know if that fell under "proof" or not.) It seems like she should be able to speak to the right person to get her ultrasound dated, or some other record made that date regarding her PG.

And I know the OP is not questioning the reason for proof, but to respond to some others that did:  There has to be some sort of set requirements in programs that are so massive. Every rule will not necessarily be convenient or fair to everyone across the board.  They can't be--the scope is too huge.  I'm in no way condoning or defending, because I see the holes all the time. The inefficiencies of federal programs are, imo, mind boggling, but there has to be something in place to prevent people easy abuse.

I searched the pregnancy care centers close to my zipcode. Nine provide ultrasounds and two do not. That's actually more than I would have expected. The OP could search in her area to see what's available.

I searched in my area. There were a few that had ultrasound. However, some of their websites explicitly stated the ultrasounds were performed by a nurse with limited training and are intended for women to have the joy of seeing their baby alive and moving in the womb, but were not diagnostic in nature and could not provide due dates.

I've also done extensive research, over many years, on Planned Parenthood, using their own information. I personally don't think Planned Parenthood is without their own agenda. Many people, myself included, would not be comfortable walking into that environment or taking a friend or family member there. That, of course, is up to the OP.

I used PP for well woman care when I was in college. I saw a nurse practitioner. She did a bunch of tests for me because I was very anemic. They gave me iron and helped me get my periods regulated so that I wasn't bleeding constantly. I think I paid around $30 for each of the two appointments? The PP I went to did not do abortions, most of them don't. They mostly provide low cost gynecological care for women to include everything from pap smears to breast cancer screening.

I searched in my area. There were a few that had ultrasound. However, some of their websites explicitly stated the ultrasounds were performed by a nurse with limited training and are intended for women to have the joy of seeing their baby alive and moving in the womb, but were not diagnostic in nature and could not provide due dates.

I used PP for well woman care when I was in college. I saw a nurse practitioner. She did a bunch of tests for me because I was very anemic. They gave me iron and helped me get my periods regulated so that I wasn't bleeding constantly. I think I paid around $30 for each of the two appointments? The PP I went to did not do abortions, most of them don't. They mostly provide low cost gynecological care for women to include everything from pap smears to breast cancer screening.

I'm glad to hear some of the pregnancy care centers in your area offer ultrasounds.  I checked my local center, and they are able to provide the "proof of pregnancy" certificate needed for social services after a positive pregnancy test.  Perhaps they provide an estimated due date based on the date of the mother's LMP.  Their website also states that their free ultrasounds can help date pregnancies.  The OP would need to check what is available in her area.

All Planned Parenthood facilities provide abortion referrals.  In 2011, about 40% of their facilities performed medical abortions (using mifepristone) and about 22% performed surgical abortions.  They say only 3% of their services are abortions; however, a close look at their numbers shows that about 1 in 10 of their clients receives an abortion.  They reported approximately 3 million patients and 327,166 abortions in 2012.

I'm glad to hear some of the pregnancy care centers in your area offer ultrasounds. I checked my local center, and they are able to provide the "proof of pregnancy" certificate needed for social services after a positive pregnancy test. Perhaps they provide an estimated due date based on the date of the mother's LMP. Their website also states that their free ultrasounds can help date pregnancies. The OP would need to check what is available in her area.

The reason I brought it up is that my experience is that not all of these places are up front about their mission. Their hope much of the time is that women seeking abortions will show up, and they will talk the women out of it. Nobody should really go to most of those places hoping for prenatal care.

All Planned Parenthood facilities provide abortion referrals. In 2011, about 40% of their facilities performed medical abortions (using mifepristone) and about 22% performed surgical abortions. They say only 3% of their services are abortions; however, a close look at their numbers shows that about 1 in 10 of their clients receives an abortion. They reported approximately 3 million patients and 327,166 abortions in 2012.

So? The woman in the original post isn't seeking an abortion. Those stats have nothing to do with the OP. Those types of stats are also misleading as the medical/legal term "abortion" includes removal of fetuses that have already died in utero.

The reason I brought it up is that my experience is that not all of these places are up front about their mission. Their hope much of the time is that women seeking abortions will show up, and they will talk the women out of it. Nobody should really go to most of those places hoping for prenatal care.

So? The woman in the original post isn't seeking an abortion. Those stats have nothing to do with the OP. Those types of stats are also misleading as the medical/legal term "abortion" includes removal of fetuses that have already died in utero.

You were the first person to mention abortions in this thread. And you connected PP with abortions in one of your posts.

You brought it up.

Find a local crisis pregnancy center or local womens clinic at your health dept. You can get a proof of pregnancy at both of these places locally here. The womens clinic charges a small fee but the crisis pregnancy place is free here. Our hospital used to do them for free as well. Proof of pregnancy is always required for medicaid. Generally people apply much sooner than 20 weeks of pregnancy.

I just wanted to clarify in case anyone misunderstood me. I have no problem whatsoever with medicaid and their requirement. I think it is perfectly reasonable. What I have a problem with is the fact that two different doctors know she is pregnant and won't verify it based on what seems to me very illogical reasons.

You explained your reasons for recommending Planned Parenthood; I explained some of my reasons for not doing so.  Some people prefer not to patronize organizations which perform abortions.  Only the OP knows if that has anything to do with her.  

I've never, in all my years researching and speaking on these topics, heard a D&C (or medication) given during or after a miscarriage called an "abortion."  Yes, one medical term for a miscarriage is "spontaneous abortion," but I've not heard that term used for procedures used to remove the baby after he or she has already died.  I've never seen anything in Planned Parenthood's own information to suggest that they call these procedures "abortions," either.  In fact, since they tend to downplay their association with abortion, I doubt they would do so.  I'll look into it.  (ETA:  There are two major sources of national abortion statistics.  They are the Guttmacher Institute, founded by a former president of PP,  and the CDC.  Both appear to separate miscarriages and induced abortions in their statistics.)

I really don't want to further derail the thread.  OP, congratulations to your sister on her pregnancy.  I hope she finds the help she needs.

I've never, in all my years researching and speaking on these topics, heard a D&C (or medication) given during or after a miscarriage called an "abortion." Yes, one medical term for a miscarriage is "spontaneous abortion," but I've not heard that term used for procedures used to remove the baby after he or she has already died. I've never seen anything in Planned Parenthood's own information to suggest that they call these procedures "abortions," either. In fact, since they tend to downplay their association with abortion, I doubt they would do so. I'll look into it.

Nearly everyone I know and associate with has insurance from the federal government. Federal dollars cannot pay for abortions. I personally know many women who have therefore gone to PP (or elsewhere) and paid out of pocket for procedures to remove dead babies. This includes one woman I know who was pregnant with triplets and one died. She had to pay for the procedure to remove the dead fetus out of pocket because the military insurance would not pay for it, even though not removing it would place the other two fetuses at risk.

We once visited a church that ran a "crisis pregnancy center" like that, which is the only reason I know about it.

This is quite different from what CA calls a crisis preg center or a Resource Clinic. They all have licensed medical personnel as volunteers but are not always staffed every day since it is volunteering...

Nearly everyone I know and associate with has insurance from the federal government. Federal dollars cannot pay for abortions. I personally know many women who have therefore gone to PP (or elsewhere) and paid out of pocket for procedures to remove dead babies. This includes one woman I know who was pregnant with triplets and one died. She had to pay for the procedure to remove the dead fetus out of pocket because the military insurance would not pay for it, even though not removing it would place the other two fetuses at risk.

That's bizarre, and another example of common sense being dead.

Proof of pregnancy is always required for medicaid. Generally people apply much sooner than 20 weeks of pregnancy.

I wonder if you are posting this in direct response to my comment that Plan First participants do not need proof.  Client statement is acceptable verification, and while some report it earlier, it is also not unusual for Plan First clients to report pregnancy much later than 20 weeks.  They can call on the phone, advise of a current pregnancy, no further proof required. You can go into MMIS while they are on the phone, change their coverage code and mark it effective beginning with their first month of pregnancy--instant, full Medicaid coverage.

And it is problematic, it shouldn't be so easy for someone to get full Medicaid coverage based only on their statement.  It leaves the door open for potential abuse. But that's all a part of the bigger problem, the inefficiencies of such a huge program run by the government.  :(

I wonder if you are posting this in direct response to my comment that Plan First participants do not need proof.  Client statement is acceptable verification, and while some report it earlier, it is also not unusual for Plan First clients to report pregnancy much later than 20 weeks.  They can call on the phone, advise of a current pregnancy, no further proof required. You can go into MMIS while they are on the phone, change their coverage code and mark it effective beginning with their first month of pregnancy--instant, full Medicaid coverage.

No actually I didn't read all of the posts before I commented. :leaving:  That is just my experience with our state medicaid. Here you just go into whatever clinic you like and ask for a proof of pregnancy. They have you give a urine sample, dip the test strip right in front of you, and then fill out a form for you to use with your medicaid application. I have gotten these from a hospital, a womens clinic(may have been planned parent hood but it is just in the same building as our WIC and doesn't say anything about PP.), and at our local crisis pregnancy center. I prefer the crisis pregnancy center because it was free and fast. At the womens clinic I was charged a fee based on my wages and had to have a consultation and fill out a questionnaire which I did not care for. I believe my OBs office would also provide you with the proof paper as well but you would have to pay for it out of pocket.

All that to say I understand your frustration OP. :thumbdown:  I'm curious why your sister didn't apply sooner? Also did she ask the OB for a proof of pregnancy test/paper? She may just not be communicating effectively with the receptionist. Sometimes you need to know the jargon.

No actually I didn't read all of the posts before I commented. :leaving:  That is just my experience with our state medicaid. Here you just go into whatever clinic you like and ask for a proof of pregnancy. They have you give a urine sample, dip the test strip right in front of you, and then fill out a form for you to use with your medicaid application. I have gotten these from a hospital, a womens clinic(may have been planned parent hood but it is just in the same building as our WIC and doesn't say anything about PP.), and at our local crisis pregnancy center. I prefer the crisis pregnancy center because it was free and fast. At the womens clinic I was charged a fee based on my wages and had to have a consultation and fill out a questionnaire which I did not care for. I believe my OBs office would also provide you with the proof paper as well but you would have to pay for it out of pocket.

All that to say I understand your frustration OP. :thumbdown:  I'm curious why your sister didn't apply sooner? Also did she ask the OB for a proof of pregnancy test/paper? She may just not be communicating effectively with the receptionist. Sometimes you need to know the jargon.

She did not apply sooner because her "baby daddy" would not "let" her. He was afraid if she applied for medicaid they would come after him for child support. Now that he sees how much a hospital birth costs he has "allowed" her to as long as she does not put him down on the paper work.  However he is very adamant that she put the baby in his last name. He "loves" her and the baby and does not want to be without them(he says not me) but he won't pay a penny for any of their expenses. But that's a whole nother story. One that I don't want to go into because it make me too angry.

Also no ob will see her unless she has medicaid.