Menu

Why DO Women Wear Make Up?

Gil

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why does anyone groom and try to look their best?  to look attractive. (which can affect how people pay attention to you e.g. think of the difference in the way you are treated if you go into a high end store well-groomed vs not well-groomed:, and feelings of self-confidence)  make-up goes back a long way.  cleopatra wore make-up.  even male pharohs wore make-up.

The same reason some men wear makeup.

Because some of them want to. Just because I am not one of the ones who wants too doesn't mean I get to or need to parse someone else's choices. Culture, fashion, to look nice, to enjoy your appearance. All boils down to because some people want to wear it.

I really don't wear make up other than moisturizing lipgloss and a little mascara which I can put on in less than sixty seconds.  I've been blessed with my mother's wonderful skin so I've never needed anything more and I tend to find a lot of it overdone anyway. 

A lot of people I know wear it for the art - it can be quite beautiful, and it's just fun to play with and experiment with. In my opinion, it's another way to express creativity and uniqueness.

However, lots of people also use it to cover up what they think are flaws, or use it to feel more confident in public.

The same reason some men wear makeup.

Because some of them want to. Just because I am not one of the ones who wants too doesn't mean I get to or need to parse someone else's choices. Culture, fashion, to look nice, to enjoy your appearance. All boils down to because some people want to wear it.

We didn't know that straight men wore makeup outside of acting. (I knew some men did but the only men I've ever seen wear it are the ones who want to appear feminine for their own personal reasons.)

We didn't know that straight men wore makeup outside of acting. (I knew some men did but the only men I've ever seen wear it are the ones who want to appear feminine for their own personal reasons.)

Why are you whispering? ;) Straight or gay or not anything in particular men wear makeup, just like all sorts of women don't wear any makeup.

Because in our culture women are valued for their appearance.  Right or wrong, it's the way it is.  Though, some pockets of the world may escape it, it is the world women live in.

People treat me differently when I wear make-up vs when I don't wear make-up.  Everyone from my own kids & dh to perfect strangers.  A well-made face garners respect.

Maybe it's b/c I have very light eyelashes and splotchy skin...but probably it's b/c our culture has been trained to respect physical beauty over most other things.

Why are you whispering? ;) Straight or gay or not anything in particular men wear makeup, just like all sorts of women who don't wear any makeup.

I probably should have used () instead, but I didn't want someone to point out what is, too me, the most obvious exception to the "Men don't wear make-up" argument. I have never seen (noticed?) a man wear make up unless he was also wearing heels and a dress, so this was news to me.

I don't have any issue with people not respecting me because I don't wear makeup. That said, I am lucky to have a very good complexion. I don't need makeup. It looks weird on me and my skin is sensitive enough that trying to find a makeup that won't bother me is difficult. I didn't wear makeup on my wedding day even.

I probably should have used () instead, but I didn't want someone to point out what is, too me, the most obvious exception to the "Men don't wear make-up" argument. I have never seen (noticed?) a man wear make up unless he was also wearing heels and a dress, so this was news to me.

Rock musicians, goth and emo boys, boys who like nail polish. It's certainly not a very common thing but it's the same reason why any woman wears makeup.

Because they do.

A lot of people I know wear it for the art - it can be quite beautiful, and it's just fun to play with and experiment with. In my opinion, it's another way to express creativity and uniqueness.

However, lots of people also use it to cover up what they think are flaws, or use it to feel more confident in public.

I agree.

I do wear makeup to cover "flaws". Cover under eye circles and make my skin look smoother.

I also wear makeup because I LOVE it. I love to experiment with it. I frequently buy new eyeshadows, lipsticks, lip glosses, etc. I also love to watch makeup videos on YouTube and experiment on myself.

I'll admit I wear make up. Why? Because I like to. I wear it for the same reason that I sometime spend time arranging my hair into a style it would never do on its own, for the same reason that I wear cute jeans instead of comfy sweat pants when I go out, and for the same reason that I paint my nails and wear jewelry. I enjoy the process much like someone else enjoys the process of turning a blank canvas into a painting. There is something fun about "dress up" where I can make myself look different by doing a few little things. I always enjoyed playing makeover with my friends when I was younger, so it's not so much personal vanity as it is the art in it.

Men think women wear makeup for them but that's rarely true. Most women who wear makeup will be just as careful about it when going to an all ladies event as they would when going on a date- maybe even putting in extra care when going out with other women because the other women will be more likely to notice if they have done a good job.

Of course, we do it because we want to feel attractive too, but it doesn't mean we think we aren't attractive or good enough without makeup, it just means that we want to wear makeup. I would never deliberately apply makeup to look unattractive, unless maybe it was Halloween and that's what I was going for, but it doesn't mean that I think I'm less attractive without it. It's just different. Also, makeup give off the impression that I care- it is a signal to others that I care about the impression I give, and in return, I tend to get treated more kindly and respectfully when I wear makeup and have my cute clothes on. I like to be treated with extra kindness and respect. As a college student, I did experiments where I went to the same stores dressed nicely and with good hair and makeup sometimes and I'd go other times wearing slacker college kid clothes, no makeup, and hair that was neat but unfixed. The difference in the treatment I receive was significant. I was treated fine when I wasn't dressed to impress, but when I put effort into my appearance, I was treated exceptionally. And I preferred the exceptional treatment. I don't care if its right or wrong- I care about what's really going to happen.

Because in our culture women are valued for their appearance. Right or wrong, it's the way it is. Though, some pockets of the world may escape it, it is the world women live in.

People treat me differently when I wear make-up vs when I don't wear make-up. Everyone from my own kids & dh to perfect strangers. A well-made face garners respect.

Maybe it's b/c I have very light eyelashes and splotchy skin...but probably it's b/c our culture has been trained to respect physical beauty over most other things.

The above is why I wear it.

Now I have a few extra issues maybe other people don't have. When I was young I was considered unattractive by pretty much everyone who knew me. My hair was always a tangled mess because my mother had odd issues about grooming and thought that if you groomed throughout the day you were "vain." So, even brushing my tangled hair in the afternoon was frowned upon.

My clothes were bought at the local Goodwill and they were not cool clothes at all. They were old lady clothes. No, really, they were. They were horrid. I had 4 outfits each school year. Whatever I wore on Monday is what I wore on Friday. If you know anything about females in school then you know that the same 4 old lady outfits worn from Sept to May was social death.

I had one pair of off-brand big clunky sneakers.

I never wore makeup.

I had glasses.

I was shy.

I was a total outcast. I really was. When we all had to walk across the stage one by one to get our school rings in the Junior Ring Ceremony I was the only kid that the other kids called mean names as I walked across the stage in front of everyone. They really hated me. And it was all based on looks. I was so shy that no one knew me. They just knew the didn't like the way I looked.

In my late twenties I just flat out got tired of being ugly. I lost a little bit of weight that I'd gained in my 20's, I got eye surgery, I started reading about fashion and buying clothes that were flattering to my body.

And now that I'm 41 I just can't go back to the ugly days. When I wear makeup I look good. When I don't wear makeup, I look bad. Sure, people might not agree or say that my looking "bad" is a social construct, but I'm just tired of being the ugly girl. I can't do it anymore.

I wear eye liner and mascara. That makes my eyes look bright and well rested. I wear brown eye shadow which also brightens my eyes. I wear a light lipstick that makes my lips look smooth. Once in a blue moon I'll wear that face makeup you smear all over and when I do, wow! My skin looks amazing. I've been starting to wear it more and more because I look so nice with it. And if I remember, I'll add blush because that makes me look flushed and healthy.

I never go out without my little bit of makeup.

However, I draw the line at plucking hairs out of my eyebrows and I don't see the point of nail polish. I just like to brighten the eyes and skin. It makes a huge difference in how pretty I look/feel.

My question--in the rest of the animal kingdom, it is the male that needs to put on the show to attract a mate. Why are humans the opposite??

To answer the OP--I wear make-up because it is fun and it makes me look better. I have small facial features--make-up brings them out and helps me look lively.

Umm ... to look better?  Less tired??  Less old???  I've worn make up since the day I could sneak out of the house with it.  I don't feel dressed without it.  I don't wear a lot and nothing dramatic, but whenever I don't, everyone asks me if I am feeling OK.  Without it, I look pale and worn out.

Who really cares anyway?  What is the big deal?   Most of my friends don't wear make up (too crunchy for it, I guess) and I'm cool with it.  They only comment when they see me without (see above.) 

Because it's fun!  I love the creativity.  I think it makes me look better...more awake, less sallow, prettier.  I think women look better with some makeup on.  I understand not all women care, or have the desire to wear makeup, or they're making a statement by not wearing it (they don't like chemicals, they feel it's artificial, they feel it's demeaning to women...there are all sorts of reasons women aren't into makeup, and that's their choice), but I still think all women look better with at least a little bit. 

And let me clarify that by saying women look better with makeup IF they know how to apply it, what colors flatter them, and how much is too much.  And that is a big "if".  I was fortunate to be able to take advantage of the teaching of several professional makeup artists as a teen, and it made all the difference in the world in how I applied my makeup. (80s blush streaks, anyone?)

The boys asked me this question a couple of days ago and they asked again today. Being a guy, I honestly have no clue.

I told them I'd look it up but the info gleaned from Wikipedia didn't stop them from saying "Yeah, but why?"

One of the things that first endeared my now dh to me was when I heard him say that he didn't like makeup on women. 

When I was about 12yo, I could hardly wait until I'd be allowed to wear makeup. It didn't take me long to get over that, LOL.

Umm ... to look better?  Less tired??  Less old???  I've worn make up since the day I could sneak out of the house with it.  I don't feel dressed without it.  I don't wear a lot and nothing dramatic, but whenever I don't, everyone asks me if I am feeling OK.  Without it, I look pale and worn out.

Who really cares anyway?

Pal (6) and Buddy (7) care, so I guess I got roped into caring by osmosis.

What is the big deal? 

I don't think it is a big deal but they are growing up in a house of men, raised by their single dad. Make-up is a novel thing to them that they don't understand and have grown curious about. They asked me about it twice now and I didn't know what to tell them. We looked it up on wikipedia and they still wanted to know 'why?'  Most of my friends don't wear make up (too crunchy for it, I guess) and I'm cool with it.  They only comment when they see me without (see above.) 

Because it's fun and I like it.  I have never noticed being treated differently if I don't wear makeup; I think that may be more in the attitude, as usually I forget when I'm not wearing it.  I am far more interested in looking nice for other females than I am for males.  It's not a competition thing, but I would prefer they think that I look as nice as I can.  I honestly don't care what men think (which I'm sure my husband appreciates!), and they probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

I don't.

My almost 80 year old parents are SCANDALIZED!!!!! To them, "forgetting to put on your lipstick before you leave the house" is a sign of insanity, or at least extreme laziness. Only a very low class person would do something like that.

My mother is a three time cancer survivor. I am aware of all the toxins she exposes herself to every time she "puts on her face", as well as how much money she spends, but it would be extremely cruel for me to cut her off or force her to go against such a deeply ingrained habit.

My daughters wear the stuff. I have no idea why and I wish they would drink or get arrested for shoplifting instead. I thought I raised them better than that, the same way my parents think they raised me better than to open the door to the UPS man without slathering myself with lead and toxic chemicals first.

The easy way out would be to say "women are weird" but I hope you empower your sons to follow in Laura (MyThreeSons)'s DH's footsteps instead.

So the stage lights don't wash your face out :-). It's also a way of accessorizing . . . like wearing jewelry or nice shoes with a special outfit. It everyday life, it's a way to define the features, especially eyes, and make them visible especially if you have very light eyelashes or brows. Tell your boys it's like a frame on a painting :-)

Ha! Then there's THIS explanation:

I've always seen make-up as a way to enhance nice features. Some girls see it as a way to cover up things that they are not so fond of.

For me, it helps lesson how noticeable the bags under my eyes can be sometimes, It makes my blue eyes show up a little more, and it evens my skin tone so I look younger and healthier. I didn't start using make-up until I was in my early 20's. I'm very careful about the brands and types I buy and try to take care of my skin. Make-up only goes on if I am going somewhere. I don't wear it around the house or if I'm just picking up a few things in town. It's for meetings, get togethers, and other times and places where I would dress a little nicer. I put on nice clothes, I try to make my face look nice too.

I've always seen make-up as a way to enhance nice features. Some girls see it as a way to cover up things that they are not so fond of.

For me, it helps lesson how noticeable the bags under my eyes can be sometimes, It makes my blue eyes show up a little more, and it evens my skin tone so I look younger and healthier. I didn't start using make-up until I was in my early 20's. I'm very careful about the brands and types I buy and try to take care of my skin. Make-up only goes on if I am going somewhere. I don't wear it around the house or if I'm just picking up a few things in town. It's for meetings, get togethers, and other times and places where I would dress a little nicer. I put on nice clothes, I try to make my face look nice too.

I'll own up to taking advantage of the magic of color. I use one palette to make my eyes look blue, and another to make them green. I even use green make-up to remove redness from my face . . . which leaves me SUPER pale, so I have to then add a little color.

Everyone else has already talked about the history and current state of make up.  I'll just say I have mixed feelings about the whole concept. Sometimes I wear it, sometimes I don't.  My younger boys, having big sisters, have enjoyed playing with make up.  My 3yo ds has been caught painting his toe nails several times. (And by caught, I mean a 3yo shouldn't be trusted with a bottle of nail polish!)

Women wear makeup because in our world women are valued more for their appearance than for anything else.

Which is why I won't wear make-up.

I agree. Except that I feel strongly I should continue to wear it for work. I look less than the expectation of "professional" without it. I am not in the life space to make a statement; I need to make a living.

I wear it because I don't like my appearance without it. I have genetic dark circles under my eyes and my skin tone is naturally flat. My eyelashes are naturally very short and I don't like the way it looks.

You know, it's not wrong to adhere to cultural standards of attractiveness. It's not wrong to choose not to adhere, I.e. To decide not to cover gray, to choose not to shave, or whatever. But there's nothing wrong with taking a few minutes to achieve even skin and more prominent eyes.

Because it's fun and I like it. I have never noticed being treated differently if I don't wear makeup; I think that may be more in the attitude, as usually I forget when I'm not wearing it. I am far more interested in looking nice for other females than I am for males. It's not a competition thing, but I would prefer they think that I look as nice as I can. I honestly don't care what men think (which I'm sure my husband appreciates!), and they probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

In my case, whenever I have been out without makeup, others have asked me if I'm ill, sleepless or getting over the flu. I'm not kidding. Even when I was a young twenty-something, I remember my boss saying, "are you feeling okay? You don't look well," when I once came in without makeup. I've been duly chastised. I would much rather capitulate to cultural expectations than continuously verify that I am NOT sick, just ugly.

I was a total outcast. I really was. When we all had to walk across the stage one by one to get our school rings in the Junior Ring Ceremony I was the only kid that the other kids called mean names as I walked across the stage in front of everyone. They really hated me. And it was all based on looks. I was so shy that no one knew me. They just knew the didn't like the way I looked.

Garga, :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: .  I think you're cool.

I would much rather capitulate to cultural expectations than continuously verify that I am NOT sick, just ugly.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(But I really don't think that you would be ugly.  You can take it for the compliment that it is, that makeup transforms your face, not that it was ugly to begin with!)

Still laughing at your comment, though.

I don't wear make-up everyday, but I do put a little on for special occasions because my face tends to be rather red and blotchy. Lovely rosacea, sigh.

In college I had a straight male roommate, and he kept make-up hidden in the back of a drawer in our bathroom. He used it to cover acne scars on his face. There were times that he didn't have it blended in quite well enough around his jawline, thus looking very obvious and not well applied, but I never once said a word because I didn't want to embarrass him. In retrospect I probably should've said something since he then went to class with his clumsily applied make-up...

Its all just some big social paradox people who are ugly aren't helped by make up and so could (and should) spare themselves the money and time involved while beautiful people don't even need it so whats the point of make up?

I remember an aunt (my Uncles girlfriend at the time) was always giving me a very hard time when I was younger about not wearing make up. I have atopic dermatitis and broke out a lot. She was constantly commenting on it: Why not? What was the matter, didn't I want to wear make up? Why didn't I want to wear makeup and if I wore make up I could be more confident, blah, blah, blah. So, with all the social graces of an un-socialized homeschooler I finally told her. "Well...I'm not ugly. I always thought make up was for ugly people who don't have any inner beauty."

My mother was mortified (and livid!) when she found out but that woman let the subject alone after that.

We get along quite well now, actually .

PS: That is not how I truly perceive people who wear make up. I simply wanted her to stop bugging me about it because I wasn't self conscious nor did I lack self confidence--even with my face riddled with eczema outbreaks and minor scabs, I didn't feel ugly. I felt like I had eczema. The truth is I don't LIKE make up--the way it feels, smells or tastes. Even if I did many of the commercial cosmetics will break me out if I even walk down that aisle of the drug store.