Menu

RIP Phillip Seymour Hoffman

PrincessMommy

My wife watches a lot of movies. A few minutes ago, when I saw that as "Breaking News", I asked her if she knew him. She told me, "don't tell me one of my favorite actors is dead"...

He died with a needle in his arm. He was a long time drug abuser. Apparently, "sober" for a time and then back into it. SAD...   R.I.P.

The weird thing is that there was a rumor yesterday or Friday that he had died, and his publicist denied it.

I know that he's really dead now, but suspicious me wonders if somebody sold him some bad heroin, or was with him when he died, and started the rumor.

Very sad.  Very talented actor, who had been sober for 20+ years.

Very sad.  Do you think Hollywood attracts people with this kind of addictive personality or does the fame somehow change a person??  I can't imagine what life is like when you have enough money to do whatever you want--does that lead to a kind of boredom??

Very sad.  Do you think Hollywood attracts people with this kind of addictive personality or does the fame somehow change a person??  I can't imagine what life is like when you have enough money to do whatever you want--does that lead to a kind of boredom??

I don't think you have to have an "addictive personality" to become addicted to heroin.  Unlike other substances (like alcohol) that seem to more readily affect those with a supposed genetic predisposition, heroin doesn't discriminate.  I do think the Hollywood culture does increase the availability and the acceptability of drugs.  Many communities of highly creative people have a drug subculture (art, music, theater.)

ETA:  I, too, was saddened when I saw this news.  He was one of my favorite actors - so versatile, from subtle to over-the-top performance. 

I can't imagine what life is like when you have enough money to do whatever you want--does that lead to a kind of boredom??

Unlike other substances (like alcohol) that seem to more readily affect those with a supposed genetic predisposition, heroin doesn't discriminate.  I do think the Hollywood culture does increase the availability and the acceptability of drugs.  Many communities of highly creative people have a drug subculture (art, music, theater.)

I think all of these things play a factor. I think not having a daily struggle of life, being able to do basically whatever you want probably does lead to a type of boredom. The availability and acceptability of drugs make it an easier choice than it is in many other communities/situations. 

I am not sure that 'Hollywood' has any more addicts than anywhere else. I have dear friends who have struggled with addiction. I have friends whose beautiful children have fallen prey to heroin. I had one friend who had her well to do lifestyle shattered when she found out her husband was using heroin. She had zero clue he used drugs of any kind and trust me when I tell you that we were shocked beyond anything to find that out. Never, ever would have thought that of him. I think we hear about it more from the entertainment industry because they are high profile. But how many firefighters or doctors or teachers or insurance sales people, or mail carriers or librarians or taxi drivers or homeschoolers or financial planners or people who work in call centers or walmart employees are current or former addicts?

Who here hasn't had their life touched in some way by addiction. I don't mean themselves, but that is certainly the case for some of us here, but our families or circle of friends. I doubt there are many if any.

I am not sure that 'Hollywood' has any more addicts than anywhere else. I have dear friends who have struggled with addiction. I have friends whose beautiful children have fallen prey to heroin. I had one friend who had her well to do lifestyle shattered when she found out her husband was using heroin. She had zero clue he used drugs of any kind and trust me when I tell you that we were shocked beyond anything to find that out. Never, ever would have thought that of him. I think we hear about it more from the entertainment industry because they are high profile. But how many firefighters or doctors or teachers or insurance sales people, or mail carriers or librarians or taxi drivers or homeschoolers or financial planners or people who work in call centers or walmart employees are current or former addicts?

Who here hasn't had their life touched in some way by addiction. I don't mean themselves, but that is certainly the case for some of us here, but our families or circle of friends. I doubt there are many if any.

That blows my mind that someone could be using Heroin and it wouldn't be obvious. I wonder how someone on drugs can function and do their job?

I think addiction happens everywhere, not just in Hollywood. My neighbors down the street have a son who is very close with my son, (they are 19), who is a handsome, talented kid, but got involved with drugs and ended up serving time in jail. But, I also think that the lifestyle in Hollywood- being an idol, image being very important, and so on, seems to set people up for pain and emotional issues that make one more likely to seek out drugs or alcohol or other unhealthy coping mechanisms in the first place.

Really sad. But it does seem that a lot if high profile Hollywood deaths are due to drugs :( I think part of it comes from the lifestyle, availability of this stuff, and so many other things. I'm sure being reasonably wealthy and being able to afford "whatever" doesn't hurt.

I am not sure that 'Hollywood' has any more addicts than anywhere else.

I know quite a few people who have been in trouble because of drugs, have been through rehab, have used illegal drugs and/or abused legal drugs. However, I do think Hollywood and certain upper circles of society *do* have more drug use. They don't have to be functional for a job *every day* like other circles of society. Non-functional drug users usually get found out by their families and sent to rehab over a comparatively short time frame for that reason. Saying that it seems to be more prevalent in certain circles, doesn't mean it is absent in all other circles.

Mother Jones has him quoted as saying "I was 22 and I got panicked for my life…I always think, god, you know, I have so much empathy for these young actors, that they're 19 and all of a sudden they're beautiful, and famous, and rich. And I'm like, oh my god, I'd be dead!"

But I have had 2 friends (of the friendly acquaintance sort) die of heroin overdoses.  I'm a midwestern housewife.

I'm also in the midwest. Our region is high on the meth production list, probably due to its access to the interstates both n/w and e/w and lots of rural areas to hide the "labs". Unfortunately, I know a high number of people who have dealt with addictions of all kinds. It can be very easy to hide an addiction habit from family, friends, and coworkers. 

This is a powerful article from Russell Brand about his struggles with addiction. (if he generally rubs you the wrong way, reserve judgment and read the article. He's humble and articulate).http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/mar/09/russell-brand-life-without-drugs Here's a quote: 

"Without these fellowships I would take drugs. Because, even now, the condition persists. Drugs and alcohol are not my problem, reality is my problem, drugs and alcohol are my solution."

I was thinking of alcohol and prescription drugs etc with my comments about the prevalence of addiction, not just heroin. There are lots of functioning alcoholics and prescription drug users out there.

Ah, in no way do I disagree with that. I was thinking more of "hard" drugs, drugs that debilitate faster.

No, because I don't think addiction begins as a behavioral problem.  I don't believe in an "addictive personality". I think it is a physical disease that gets triggered by the chemicals.

We hear about the addiction because we hear about celebrity.

I am really sad to hear this news too. I just saw Catching Fire last week.  He was really good in that, like he is in everything.  He just exudes intelligence.

My favorite PSH movie is The Talented Mr. Ripley. He plays a really unlikeable character, but, he's also the ONLY person in the film to figure out that Matt Damon's mild-mannered character is a killer and a liar.  He makes the role really complex and memorable.

I am seeing nothing but sadness about this news, while the response to Cory Monteith's death was much more divided (all over, not necessarily here). I think perhaps it is easier to sympathize with a middle aged addict than a young one. Or maybe it's simply that this is a greater loss, from the public eye's perspective. I don't know. It's sad.  Both were victims of the same terrible disease.

So very sad. And makes me remember "One day at a time," the AA saying that is so applicable. 20 years sober is no guarantee that you (or in my case, loved ones) will be sober at the end of the day today. Alternately humbles me and scares the living hell out of me. Every day I have to chose the humility and the hope, or I'm left shaking in the corner.

I am really sad to hear this news too. I just saw Catching Fire last week.  He was really good in that, like he is in everything.  He just exudes intelligence.

My favorite PSH movie is The Talented Mr. Ripley. He plays a really unlikeable character, but, he's also the ONLY person in the film to figure out that Matt Damon's mild-mannered character is a killer and a liar.  He makes the role really complex and memorable.

I am seeing nothing but sadness about this news, while the response to Cory Monteith's death was much more divided (all over, not necessarily here). I think perhaps it is easier to sympathize with a middle aged addict than a young one. Or maybe it's simply that this is a greater loss, from the public eye's perspective. I don't know. It's sad.  Both were victims of the same terrible disease.

I think part of it is the sheer body of work that PSH brought to us compared with CM.  Also, the talent was so different...very different.   We *knew* that PSH had great talent. He had shown it to us over and over again.  CM seemed untried outside of one light-fare tv show. 

I thought this article is a lovely tribute to PSH's talent:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2014/feb/02/philip-seymour-hoffman-dies

As to whether or not his fame (or money, or boredom) had anything to do with the drug abuse - he has had an addiction issue since long before he was rich and famous...

I live in his hometown... yesterday I was at a rehearsal with a number of retired teachers that had taught PSH (!) and they announced the news. There was palpable sorrow in the room... so very sad.

I think part of it is the sheer body of work that PSH brought to us compared with CM.  Also, the talent was so different...very different.   We *knew* that PSH had great talent. He had shown it to us over and over again.  CM seemed untried outside of one light-fare tv show. 

I thought this article is a lovely tribute to PSH's talent:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2014/feb/02/philip-seymour-hoffman-dies

I agree with this. I just wish poor CM's death had been met with same grace that people are extending to PSH. 

My wife watches a lot of movies. A few minutes ago, when I saw that as "Breaking News", I asked her if she knew him. She told me, "don't tell me one of my favorite actors is dead"...

He died with a needle in his arm. He was a long time drug abuser. Apparently, "sober" for a time and then back into it. SAD...   R.I.P.

No, he really wasn't.  He had an addiction problem as a teenager/young adult, and got clean at age 22, and was sober for over 23 years. 

Addiction is so scary, because it is progressive, even while the person isn't using.  Constant vigilance for life is necessary, and it is so sad that he lost his way and his life. :(

No, he really wasn't. He had an addiction problem as a teenager/young adult, and got clean at age 22, and was sober for over 23 years.

Addiction is so scary, because it is progressive, even while the person isn't using. Constant vigilance for life is necessary, and it is so sad that he lost his way and his life. :(

Similarly to PSH, I have 2 friends who married men who were recovered addicts, and both men relapsed 16/18 years into their recoveries. For one of the women that was 14 years into their marriage, for the other it was 5. Both men are sober again, but both had scary run-ins with death. I just can't imagine being 14 years into marriage and then having to face a dragon that you thought was long slain.

I'm sad for his kids.

I don't think most people even knew really who Cory Monteith was. Had he done anything besides Glee? I've never watched that show at all, whereas I've seen a lot of Phillip Seymour Hoffman's movies. I think that is the main difference you are seeing.