Menu

Considering deleting facebook page and changing to a dumb phone

momee

Will I regret it? 

The distraction it adds to my days (im's, texts, gmails, cellph answering machine, home answering machine) are getting to me.

I have not  :001_rolleyes: but there is an adjustment.

I have a dumb phone and get comments from friends and family a lot because I leave it in the car.  :001_tt2:   But that is where I use it - when we are on our way somewhere or in case of an emergency. Not having it is the house makes it a lot less of a distraction.

I have never been on Facebook bandwagon, but it is more because of crazy family. :willy_nilly:   Still though, it is another distraction.  There are plenty already! :cool:

I don't go to FB very much.  My friends know that it isn't a good way to contact me.  I don't have it send messages or alerts to my phone so it is silent unless I physically go there on the internet.  That helps.  I also don't run to every text.  I sometimes even turn my ringer off or tuck my phone into a drawer if I am doing something important.

You all have more self control than I do.  I dream of not having that buzzing beeping thing to babysit!

That said, there is so much of life that I use it for I think it will be a tough transition.  And I kindof like the snapchats my kids send of them doing fun stuff when I'm not with them.

No more bible app, bank app, ynab checking transactions to enter, no more having my kids look at me with my face in my phone (I hate that!), no more relationships that are only! through media (fb, texting, email, etc - hate that too).

Now that I am posting about it I can see more and more reasons to eliminate it, not keep it.

Thanks for talking through it with me.

I like digital life. I live rurally, it allows me to be social and make friends when I can't get to where people are. Also FB is how my extended family is able to keep more in touch.

I'd regret getting rid of FB and a smartphone.

Could I function in a world without it? Sure, but is not choose to dump it all without some more compelling option.

If I need to I just turn things off for a while.

I have never even started on FB because I watch it sucking so much time with my friends and certain family members.  It has honestly become an addiction for some.

Dump FB, give it a couple of months (so withdrawal symptoms subside), then see if you are a happier, more productive person.  :)   If not, it is all still there for the taking....  

You might wait to switch to the dumb phone until you have been away from FB for a bit, to make the transition easier.  Plus, I have found my smart phone, when I don't get sucked in, is extremely useful for taking care of things on the fly instead of having to stop and get to a computer.  I just have to be disciplined about it.

Now, not to complicate your thinking but I am going the opposite way: I can't wait to have a smartphone.  (Why don't I buy one?  Because I have an old dumphone that works well, and I can't bring myself to spend the $$ unnecessarily.) But too often I am out in places where a smartphone would be really helpful.   Looking up a phone number or address, getting directions somewhere.  The key is treating the phone like a tool that you  manage, not a device that manages you. 

As for facebook, I got it so I could get a glimpse into the lives of adult nieces and nephews and some old friends.  I like having that method to keep in touch with people.  I get notified if someone sends me a message or posts on my wall; other than that, I check it at my leisure.  Just another tool!  

But if I found I couldn't manage those things, I would dump them.  

:)  U all are making me smile at least. 

I'm really torn.  

We are about to build a house, of which I could potentially be using that phone MULTIPLE times per day.  Per hour really.

Maybe deleting fb is a good compromise for now.  I don't like that extended family will miss out on what's happening - but they can call me instead.  I'd like that better anyway!

:) U all are making me smile at least.

I'm really torn.

We are about to build a house, of which I could potentially be using that phone MULTIPLE times per day. Per hour really.

Maybe deleting fb is a good compromise for now. I don't like that extended family will miss out on what's happening - but they can call me instead. I'd like that better anyway!

Yes. Get rid of FB, but I would keep your smartphone. Just go in your notification center and turn things off that tend to distract you . Problem solved :)

I got rid of my regular FB; I do keep a 'down-low' account (meaning no family or friends added) for buying/selling homeschool curriculum.

I have a smartphone but keep it put away during parts of the day when my attention is needed elsewhere, like during school hours, mealtimes, family time, etc. I try really hard not to answer calls, check emails, text, or be online during these times and having the phone way off in another room helps with that. I also turned off most notifications on my phone. I do this for my own sanity, but also to attempt to model to my children how to control technology and not have it be our taskmaster.

:)  U all are making me smile at least. 

I'm really torn.  

We are about to build a house, of which I could potentially be using that phone MULTIPLE times per day.  Per hour really.

Maybe deleting fb is a good compromise for now.  I don't like that extended family will miss out on what's happening - but they can call me instead.  I'd like that better anyway!

Why not just get rid of FB on your phone?  I use my phone for everything (plus we do not have a hard line at home). But I've never put FB on my phone.  I just access FB from my laptop.

If you have a smart phone and are getting too many texts/calls during school time, etc. you can set to to a sleep type mode where the calls will show up but not ring, and texts will come in but not beep.......but you can set it to still ring/text alert for your "emergency" numbers.  That way only dh, the kids, anyone else you deem very important can still get through but others you can just check your phone at your convenience.

That's one of the problems.  Too much screentime considering I do my banking, personal calendar, family calendar, emails, skype, facetime, facebook, snapchat (alot of that stuff is teens/kids in my circle), etc, etc, etc.

And here too of course ;-)

I have facebook set up so notifications only show up on the site. 

I wouldn't get rid of a smart phone if you're building a house. 

I downgraded to a dumb phone after having a smart phone (other reasons) - it would be nice to be able to check prices or look up something quickly when I'm out. 

I tend to modify the technology to suit my life, not allow it to control me. You could log out of facebook and simply not use it. Delete the app from your phone and only check it online if you need. 

Well, I have fb and a dumb phone. I can only check fb or email when I'm at an actual computer, so I'm not fiddling with my phone to check fb or email. 

My phone has voice mail and text. It also has a calendar that syncs with my computer outlook. It beeps when I (or someone in my family since I keep the master calendar) am supposed to be at an appointment. So, it makes noise or vibrates for phone calls, texts or calendar notification. I would be annoyed if told me about fb and email too. 

Can you just remove the data option from the phone and avoid dawdling on the computer (wasting time on fb and email). Just check the computer once a day. 

The one thing I wish I had a smart phone for is gps. I travel enough--short road trips with kids often, that I think I'd really use gps. But I'm ok without it. 

Data plans are so flipping expensive. I don't have and don't miss having a smart phone. I have a cell phone for talking and an iPod for apps. It doesn't bother me that I only have internet access when I am in reach of wifi. It's seriously not that limiting -- rather freeing, to be honest.

I like looking at Facebook for little hints of what's going on with friends and family. I don't use it myself much though, I post very infrequent updates, comment only occasionally, and use the chat feature to contact 2-3 people whose email addresses I'm not sure of. That's it. You could start maybe by removing celebrity and entertainment sites from your feed, and people you don't really know well, leaving the friends and family you care about on there?

I have a smartphone, but only because that's what DH got me when my beloved military spec phone died after about six years of use. I think DS10 went swimming with it one too many times, lol.

Anyhow, I don't have it connected up to anything, right now I cannot even take calls on it because I cannot figure out how to turn the ringer on after the last update. :o

I don't have Facebook.

I have a smartphone, but I didn't ever set up voicemail.

I have email on my phone, but it is turned off, so I have to manually turn it on in settings if I actually want to check my email. No notifications to bother me. :)

Basically, it's like a dumb phone in that I only get notified of calls and texts.

I do waste too much time online - even without the phone.

I don't go to FB very much.  My friends know that it isn't a good way to contact me.  I don't have it send messages or alerts to my phone so it is silent unless I physically go there on the internet.  That helps.  I also don't run to every text.  I sometimes even turn my ringer off or tuck my phone into a drawer if I am doing something important.

This is me. I check FB a few times a week and most people know it's not a great way to contact me. I do like seeing what my friends from across the country are up to though and seeing baby and kid pictures. :-) It's a nice way to keep in touch with people I don't see often. 

My phone is the same. The ringer is usually off. I like to be able to text people when I need to, but I tend to leave it places like the mudroom in my coat with the ringer off, so it's not a great way to get me. 

I have a dumb phone. That is no big deal to me at all. I will say, it's hard to find reasonable plans for dumb phones now. We may be upgrading next time our phones die (my DH has a dumb phone too). My oldest got a smart phone through republic wireless. The phone was expensive on the front end, but his plan is $10 a month for unlimited voice and text. And the 3G capabilities of his phone just connect through a Wireless network (which is certainly good enough for him). He needed a phone because he got in some situations this fall as the youngest kid in a teen production. Rehearsals would get done early and he would be left alone to wait for a ride without a phone. That said, my DH and I use skype for free texting to each other during the day.

As far as facebook, I use it. I do like it better than this board in many ways because there are "private" boards where I feel like I can share a little more. I think fb is what you make of it. I do not tolerate drama on my feed. I have unfriended and/or unsubscribed from a number of people and my FB life is much happier. If you attempt to post drama/controversy on something I post, I delete your post. FTR, I do not get political on FB or use it as a platform for my beliefs. I mostly post to keep relatives up to date on my kids averaging 2-4 times a week most of the time. I also attempt to self limit my tech access in general. I actually don't even read my feed consistently. I go there more for my private boards. So, if you aren't happy with FB, absolutely, deactivate your account. Many of the people I hear complain about facebook are complaining about the behavoir of particular individuals and that is easy to work around IMO.

I do turn off notifications on everything and check things on my time table. For me, dropping facebook would mean losing touch with some relatives and communities that have become important in my life.

Do you need to be that drastic? Is it a matter of lack of self-control (not asking snarkily, asking genuinely because I can understand if that's an issue.)

Could you follow the same rules you would give (or have given) to your kids about technology? Like, no Facebook except after 7:00 pm or after your chores are done? Or you could set up certain times of the day to check for and return messages on your phone, etc.

I don't. I did it about a year ago. That didn't solve everything, because I definitely went on a binge when I opened my account here and I have issues with free kindle books and Amazon in general, but I'm a lot more human and less cyborg than I was during my Facebook days and the world has survived just fine without me trying to save it all the time. My haters and stalkers have had no problems finding other people to hate and stalk, I'm more patient with my technically disinterested parent and more chatty with my technically enamoured parent, my house is cleaner, and I spend more time enjoying my kids.

I'm on a family plan with Metro PCS and my share is only $25 a month, I use an RSS reader (Liferea) to keep track of the blogs I want to keep reading, and I avoid time consuming controversial threads here and remind myself that I made a conscious decision to be a "polite visitor" rather than a "wannabe core member".

I went off of FB several months ago.  

1) There's a withdrawal period.

2) Be prepared for some people to take it personally.  It's almost the same reaction I got when I pulled my kids out of school.  People feel the need to tell you why they choose to be on FB.  Or they act like it's some personal rejection.  

I deactivated my account with the intention of maybe reactivating it.  I did that last week and after about 10 minutes I was reminded of all of the reasons it's good for me to be off (and of a few of the reasons I miss it).  I re-deactivated it.  I'll probably pop on every few months, but I think this is best for me right now.

My GPS/mapping app makes my smartphone valuable to me. I have often considered ditching it and will revisit the issue as the current contract approaches its end. But I will feel a little out on a limb without my navigation gadget!

Also, now that I have several kids piggybacking on my plan, I need to figure out how they might be affected. But to answer your question, I definitely have given serious thought to dumping the smartphone.

As for FB, I am seriously considering stripping that once again to include only my distant relatives and groups that use it for time sensitive communication.

I spend too much time on my phone and FB and I'm tempted to get rid them both. But I rely on my GPS a lot. I love to listen to podcasts when I run. I love my Gregorian chant Pandora station.

I also stayed connected to my college aged daughter through FB and Twitter. I am also part of a homeschool group that only sends notifications through FB.

So as much as I would like to throw it all away I feel dependent on technology now.

I understand your battle!

Elise in NC

I've thought about doing both of these things but I haven't and here's why: 

FB - especially now that I just read The Power of Habit, I realize that "weak ties" can be as useful and important sometimes as "strong ties." FB does allow you to keep a large amount of weak ties and they can come in handy. There's also a lot of information that is nice to be "in the loop" about that you simply won't be if you don't find out through FB. 

Smart Phone - I've really come to love things like photo-deposit and using my phone navigation. I even have navigation built in to one of my cars, but the phone nav is far superior, plus I can speak-enter the destination. That is seriously hard to beat. I can do it on the fly if there's an accident or detour that crops up. That is one awesome feature, I gotta say. And I use my calendar constantly.

I have FB and a smart phone and love them both.

However, I don't have any notifications set up on my phone and I don't go on a mad dash if it's ringing or something. I use it for me, at my leisure. It often dies because it has sat around too long unused if I don't go anywhere for a few days. :)

I use FB to keep in touch with friends and family, as well as local social groups and other groups. I use the chat function. I use FB often, but I don't play games and don't spend all day glued to it or anything.

I love technology. People know the best way to reach me is via email or FB messenger. I dislike talking on the phone. I rarely pick up my phone unless it's a number I recognize and even then I may not.

Yes. Get rid of FB, but I would keep your smartphone. Just go in your notification center and turn things off that tend to distract you . Problem solved :)

I do just the opposite.  I have FB, and I only have a dumbphone.  (Dh and I share the phone, actually. :p)  That way I can sit down for a few minutes on the computer and chat with friends on FB, but when I get up and do other stuff, I'm not chained to it via a smartphone.  People think I'm crazy for having a phone with actual buttons on it  :001_rolleyes:  but it works well for me.  I don't understand texting, to be honest.  I've never got what's so important that someone has to tell you RIGHT NOW every ten minutes all day long, or what's so important on FB that you (general "you") have to be updated constantly.  That would drive me completely nuts.

I do just the opposite.  I have FB, and I only have a dumbphone.  (Dh and I share the phone, actually. :p)  That way I can sit down for a few minutes on the computer and chat with friends on FB, but when I get up and do other stuff, I'm not chained to it via a smartphone.  People think I'm crazy for having a phone with actual buttons on it  :001_rolleyes:  but it works well for me.  I don't understand texting, to be honest.  I've never got what's so important that someone has to tell you RIGHT NOW every ten minutes all day long, or what's so important on FB that you (general "you") have to be updated constantly.  That would drive me completely nuts.

Nor arguing with you, because everyone has different needs and wants, but I love the text feature of my dumbphone.

When I'm out at the store, I can call my kids and have them text me the grocery list I left on the kitchen table.

Or I can text my husband to ask him to tell me again his dress shirt size.   

If my husband is out at a meeting, I can text him to please stop and pick up milk because we're expecting big snow tomorrow and the kids will want hot chocolate.

Or he can text me to tell me he's on his way home and would I please start a pot of decaf and whomp up some cream for Irish coffees.

I can text my daughter when she is babysitting and we can communicate without waking up the baby. 

I can't use it for long conversations but for quick things I find it quite helpful! :D

Nor arguing with you, because everyone has different needs and wants, but I love the text feature of my dumbphone.

When I'm out at the store, I can call my kids and have them text me the grocery list I left on the kitchen table.

Or I can text my husband to ask him to tell me again his dress shirt size.   

If my husband is out at a meeting, I can text him to please stop and pick up milk because we're expecting big snow tomorrow and the kids will want hot chocolate.

Or he can text me to tell me he's on his way home and would I please start a pot of decaf and whomp up some cream for Irish coffees.

I can text my daughter when she is babysitting and we can communicate without waking up the baby. 

I can't use it for long conversations but for quick things I find it quite helpful! :D

I start to text people sometimes, but it takes so long and is such a hassle I usually get frustrated halfway through and just call them.   :lol:

There's such a thing as a sometimes-smart phone. :) I use mine to check e-mail, but it's really clunky to go online proper, which works in my favor, because "surfing" or "just checking for fun" is too much of a pain, but I *CAN* check directions or a phone number or whatever I need if I'm out.

It's a $16 phone, and I chat and text as much as I need / want, and it costs me on average $10-15 / month. :) For me, it's the perfect balance.

We're a techy family. My children can FaceTime their great grandmother in another state. I think that's awesome.

Still, if you hate it, get rid of it all. Just don't be mad a people if you miss something. You'll have to do the legwork to stay in the loop. People won't automatically call more often because you deleted your account.

Just delete it off your phone and delete your account - it won't *really* delete for a while, so you can reactivate it later if you want. You can download an archive of all the data from your account if you have a lot of pictures and stuff if you'd like before your delete. For me it helps just to have personal boundries, like not using it during "school hours" in the morning, putting my phone on silent and in a drawer and not having it always out and checking it. It can also help to go through your facebook feed and take people off notifications so you make your feed less interesting - I have it so that I really only see my family and close friends on my facebook feed for example, plus a few local groups. That's about all I can handle. Take off all the bloggers and maybe people who post inflammatory or annoying  stuff for example. Not unfriending, just making it so you don't see them on your newsfeed - it makes it much more pleasant and less time-suckish somehow. 

FYI, if you cancel the service for your smartphone, the device will essentially become a poor man's iTouch: you can still connect with your home (or public) wifi when you choose to. You can even get an app for texting.

I would absolutely recommend getting a dumb phone and service in case of emergency, though, just don't give out the number.

There's such a thing as a sometimes-smart phone. :) I use mine to check e-mail, but it's really clunky to go online proper, which works in my favor, because "surfing" or "just checking for fun" is too much of a pain, but I *CAN* check directions or a phone number or whatever I need if I'm out.

It's a $16 phone, and I chat and text as much as I need / want, and it costs me on average $10-15 / month. :) For me, it's the perfect balance.

What creature is this? 

I have a "dumb" phone (I didn't know that was what it was called) and FB.

I don't have any of the notifications turned on, so I have to go to the site to check it.

I go back and forth like you do often about whether to delete the account because it gives me a lot of aggravation.

But there are some people who I would not be in touch with without it. That's why I keep it.

I struggle with spending too much time on the internet in general. A few things that helped me this year is setting a few "rules" for myself.

I keep the computer completely off once a week on Sundays. During the week, I don't go on social media: forums, FB, twitter, etc. except in the evening, after homeschool is over. I limit myself to visiting those sites once a day at most.

I can't say I always perfectly stick by these rules, but this has brought some sanity to my internet usage. It also helps me focus on my kids more.

I'm a Luddite at heart though. If everyone else would go back to writing snail mail letters, I'd gladly give up all this internet stuff. :)