Menu

You are all going to be SO jealous of me

Halcyon

Guess who moved in next door?

A family of 10. Eight kids under 12.

And.....they're nice.

And....they adore our (not quite legal) chickens....

And.....my older son  likes the older boys (I've been trying to find more friends for him)

AND.....................

THEY HOMESCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN WE SAY "BUILT-IN PLAYDATES" ANY LOUDER, FOLKS?????????????????????? 

happy-dance.gif

This is such an odd forum. Most people would dread your situation, but we're all sitting here drooling.  :drool5:

Nailed it! :)

And yes I too am very jealous.  We have a huge six bedroom house sitting across from us that has been vacant for 1 1/2 years.  I keep thinking what an amazing homeschooling house it would make.  Speaking of that anyone want a mildly run down with beautiful wood work for 60 grand in the middle of nowhere, WI????  

How fun! We lived in a cul-de-sac a few years ago and all the other families homeschooled. I thought they were poking fun at me at first when they started introducing themselves, but they were all serious. It was a lovely year living there - the kids had a block party every evening. There were 22 kids from 2-15 years old.Thanks to the military, we all had to move on.

Is anyone else wondering if there is going to be another post from another homeschooler telling us about how they just moved in and the family next door also homeschools!  LOL  Ask her if she prefers kilts or cupcakes with a straight face and then you'll know if she was part of the Hive.

And yes I too am very jealous.  We have a huge six bedroom house sitting across from us that has been vacant for 1 1/2 years.  I keep thinking what an amazing homeschooling house it would make.  Speaking of that anyone want a mildly run down with beautiful wood work for 60 grand in the middle of nowhere, WI????  

If you had said Virginia...

I have family in WI!  If it came with a job for DH, I'd be your neighbor!

Assuming "mildly run-down" just means "not picture-perfect" instead of "Money pit."

I've been trying to move for 35 years....  seems like I'm better at chasing people away than I am at getting out myself.

(And YES!  I'm jealous of the OP!)

When we lived in the city my neighbors were LDS homeschoolers.  They were the best neighbors I ever had, and our kids got along great even with all the issues mine have.  They were just starting out homeschooling and from conversations we had very different homeschool philosophies but it was wonderful to go sit in the front yard and watch the kids play midday while the little ones napped and have a cup of coffee and then head back in the house to keep working on school.  We had a little 3 foot fence separating the front yards so I would sit on one side in my lawn chair and she would sit on the other on hers and the kids would run back and forth between both yards.

I'm new and I keep hearing this. Splain.

I don't have the master links, but basically the kilt thing flared up spontaneously one summer night under a full moon in a post that went awry...seems some ladies around here are really big on hot men in Catholic girls' skirts (sorry!). There were some out-of-control long threads that I think cost the site owner, SWB, millions of dollars in bandwidth or something. (Okay, maybe not millions.)

The cupcake thing erupted when a suspiciously troll-like individual went on a tirade about making cupcakes for preschool parties or something of that nature. So, cupcakes became part of board culture.

Other references that will make no sense at first will be teA (which is not a beverage, but something couples participate in), carpet vs. hardwood flooring (having to do with "hairstyles" and no I don't mean on your head), and shoes on vs. shoes off in the house. There was also something about crockpots and shopping carts, but I wasn't part of those particular kerfuffloes. 

ETA: Typos galore. Just ignore.

I don't have the master links, but basically the kilt thing flared up spontaneously one summer night under a full moon in a post that went awry...seems some ladies around here are really big on hot men in Catholic girls' skirts (sorry!). There were some out-of-control long threads that I think cost the site owner, SWB, millions of dollars in bandwidth or something. (Okay, maybe not millions.)

The cupcake thing erupted when a suspiciously troll-like individual went on a tirade about making cupcakes for preschool parties or something of that nature. So, cupcakes became part of board culture.

Other references that will make no sense at first will be teA (which is not a beverage, but something couples participate in), carpet vs. hardwood flooring (having to do with "hairstyles" and no I don't mean on your head), and shoes on vs. shoes off in the house. There was also something about crockpots and shopping carts, but I wasn't part of those particular kerfuffloes. 

ETA: Typos galore. Just ignore.

Umm... Thanks?   :001_unsure:

I have family in WI!  If it came with a job for DH, I'd be your neighbor!

Assuming "mildly run-down" just means "not picture-perfect" instead of "Money pit."

I've been trying to move for 35 years....  seems like I'm better at chasing people away than I am at getting out myself.

(And YES!  I'm jealous of the OP!)

Oh yeah!  I would love that unfortunately the job market here is nothing to brag about. The more I think about it money pit would probably be more accurate.  It is habitable, definitely. The floors need to be re-done and such I think it could use new insulation and the exterior is pale yellow brick.  It is beautiful but I don't know if you can make that look new again? The windows and roof need to be replaced.. You get the idea.  I guess that is what scares me about it.  It is in sad shape and either someone who wants to re-do will buy it or someone who doesn't care and then it will just get worse.