Menu

Recommendations for vehicles that seat 8 IRL, not just say they do.

ksr5377

We're going to need something that has REAL third row seating, not just a little seat that's only good for a 10 minute drive.  We travel 1-2 times a month, 2-3 hour drives one way.  It also needs a decent amount of storage while using the third row.  I was thinking we would just go with a mini-van, but DH says with all the seats in use we'll have to have luggage on a roof rack when we take our week long vacations and he doesn't want to deal with that.  He's wanting to get a 12 passenger van and I'm desperately looking for other options that would make both of us happy.  I really don't want a 12 passenger van. 

Our Ford Astro seats 8 very comfortably, has all kinds of cubby holes and such for kids' stuff, has a lot of room behind the third seat, and plenty of room under the seats too.  Our family of eight traveled to Wisconsin with all of our clothes, two coolers, a pack and play, and stuffed 8 people's worth of snow pants, boots and such under the seats, all without covering up the back window.  Same thing for our beach trip, all our clothes, two coolers,pack and play, an umbrella stroller, board games and tons of car and beach activities, and didn't even block part of the windows.  There is also plenty of room between the two front seats to put a cooler for in travel snacks. 

It is not "cool" but boy is it comfortable to travel in.  Best purchase we ever made.

We have a chevy astro that replaced our mini van when we had four kids. Love it! It is more comfortable for bigger kids-teens and way more storage than a mini van. However it's not made anymore so you would have to find a good used one.

We now have 8 kids and a 15 pass van which I love ;). I really prefer having more seats thy family members so my kids can take a friend or we can give someone a ride.

We have an 8-seater Toyota Sienna. It really does seat 8 and would probably be fine for a couple hours drive. We usually drive 4-8 hours for vacation. There are only 5 of us but it feels like just the right amount of room for those long drives--my boys are bigger than dh. With 8, I'm not sure you'd have space inside for all your luggage. And you wouldn't have any room for the dc to spread out. Maybe we overpack, though. Dh likes to bring the lawn chairs and portable grill and we always bring a large cooler for drinks/snacks. And lately our vacations have been to places where you bring your own linens/towels. But all that fits inside. I guess it would depend how big your dc are and how much you usually pack as to whether a Sienna would be suitable.

If you really don't want a 12 passenger van, you might have to deal with a roof luggage rack. There is an option though that can fit the rear hitch like a bike rack:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/57025?feat=5488-GN2&page=thule-665c-transporter-combi&attrValue_0=Black&productId=928531

Oh, and my Traverse has a 3rd row that adults have sat in without complaining or looking squished. It does NOT have much cargo space with all seats in use though.

Here's a cheaper option (Just noticed that this is just the bag.): http://www.amazon.com/Rola-59102-Expandable-Hitch-Cargo/dp/B000E7WLJW/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1384271106&sr=1-1

This is the rack itself. I can see using this with bins & bungee cords: http://www.amazon.com/Basket-Style-Bumper-Carrier-Capacity/dp/B000H1S7UM/ref=pd_sim_auto_9 I might get one!

I have a nissan nv. It seats 12. Lots of room. Very comfortable and reasonably priced for big vans. The first couple of time you drive it --it seems huge, but you quickly become accustomed to its size. Upgrades to leather seats, navigation and back up camera are affordable. I know it's bigger than what you want but it really is worth it.

We have a Chevy suburban that I absolutely love. It seats 8 and has plenty of space for luggage. We took a summer trip to Disney-14 hours-comfortably. A large I've chest, stroller, a weeks worth of clothes and swim gear for seven people, beach chairs and toys, plus all the souvenirs we came back with fit nicely. We used to have a Toyota sequoia, but it didn't work for our family, and the gas mileage was much worse than the suburban for some reason. Oh, and the worst part about the sequoia was the lack of storage. I could barely fit the baby's stroller, much less any groceries.

I grew up with my parents driving a Suburban for our family of 7 kids. We never used a roof rack and we took 7hr. trips at least twice a year to my grandparents and 3hr trips to the city once a month. Two of my siblings have suburbans now for their families. If my family were larger it's the direction I would go.

You can fit 8 in my Suburban with plenty of room for luggage in the back. It's also simple and inexpensive to add a cargo rack to the back hitch for easier access than a rooftop carrier. Doesn't get the greatest gas mileage, of course, but that's going to be the case with any vehicle large enough for a crowd. The gas is still a bargain when compared to airfare for a family of 8 though, LOL!

Also, I don't know if you're looking to buy new or used, but used Suburbans that are still in very good shape can be found inexpensively. I only paid $3,000 for mine, a 1997 that only had 125k miles. As long as they've been maintained these things are beasts that will easily run for 300k or more miles. Despite its age, my truck is a reliable workhorse. We've taken ours on numerous cross-country trips without any problem at all.

With the Cadillac Escalade (at least the 2012 and beyond models I'm not sure about older) there is an option to have both second and third row bench seats.  DH selected that option and we made it work with six kids at home and four in boosters or car seats but he has also been kind of pushing that we probably need to go the passenger van route as well.  Our oldest daughter was off to college this fall so we had kind of tabled the issue (ok, maybe I had just hoped we tabled the issue) as we had one less child going anywhere with us on a daily basis.  Recently, our foster son got called back into work emergently and left directly from church services necessitating that we drive his wife and son home after church. This required making two trips as we couldn't fit nine people in DH's Escalade and prompted DH to rededicate himself to van shopping.  

We've looked at and driven the Mercedes Sprinter and the Nissan NV.  I really am not a fan of either.  DH was actually more impressed with the Sprinter but I think the consumer reviews go the other way.  Either of these might be options for your family. I do get the whole not wanting to upgrade to the passenger van concept, I really do!  Sending much empathy!

I have a nissan nv. It seats 12. Lots of room. Very comfortable and reasonably priced for big vans. The first couple of time you drive it --it seems huge, but you quickly become accustomed to its size. Upgrades to leather seats, navigation and back up camera are affordable. I know it's bigger than what you want but it really is worth it.

Perhaps I should have read the whole thread before replying.  I'll try to take some comfort that you love your NV.  Any thoughts on the NV in comparison to the Mercedes Sprinter?  We've looked at and driven both but I'm not really feeling either.  DH feels we've outgrown his Escalade so I guess we'll be getting one of the two and I'll be working on adapting.

THIS is the van DH is trying to sell me on.  I do appreciate how much space it has with a much smaller price tag than any of the SUV options.

We've been thinking about the Nissan NV too, because you can get a wheelchair conversion for it.  The price tag is really hefty compared to a used 12 passenger. We could find some smaller buses in the same price range that didn't require a special license to drive, but I don't think we're ready for that yet.  :lol:

Another vote for a Suburban...

We often travel with a car load of girls for hours at a time.  Comfortable even for adults in the back row.

Our first Suburban (1997) seated 8 (bench for middle row).  Our current Suburban (2003) seats 7 (2 captains chairs in middle row). Both were purchased used and ran forever with few trips to the repair shop. The 1997 was my favorite but it 'died' in a car accident a few years ago (DH was rearended at high speed on an interstate--any other car and the crew would not have survived!).

Used Suburbans are affordable-- and they are built to last.

We had an 8 seat Chevy Venture that took 8 people across the country from PA to CA. Is that a long enough drive to get a comparison? :scared:

Our car had a built in baby seat harness. (LOVED it!) but for the cross country drive we used a car seat in the back so the bigger kids could sit in the middle section.  We loved it and would still have it if it hadn't run off the road into a ditch.

• 2 weeks later...

We have had a 12 passenger van (E350) for 5 years now - we take 2-3 500 to 1000 mile trips per year in it with 8. That includes a 6'+ teenager, a 15yo, and 3 or 4 booster seats.

Pluses - plenty of seat room, and room for your activity boxes/bags, luggage, backpacking equipment, instruments, groceries, etc.

Minuses - seats don't fold down and are difficult to remove (newer/different models may allow for this); not the most comfortable ride, but tolerable; somewhat noisy cabin; parking garages can be tricky.

We get roughly 15 mpg which is comparable to many large SUVs. I thought it would be much more difficult to drive, but it really handles fine. We have driven it in major snow and ice storms, rain and tornados, through mountain ranges, etc., etc. with no mechanical or "death trap" issues ;).

I think some of it depends on how big your 8 people are and/or how comfortable they are being in constant contact with another person. We looked at a Mercury Mountaineer recently and it looked quite roomy.

We have a Suburban and it can fit 8, but the back row is not comfortable for adults or teens.  I'm 5'8" and my legs won't fit in the back row without pushing into the seat. Also, the rear seat is narrower.  If you have young children, they could be comfortable in the rear seat and there is still plenty of cargo space.

We had a Chevy Suburban and changed to a Ford Expedition.  It seats 8 comfortably with TONS of cargo room.  We have traveled on trips up to 5.5 hours with 8 people and all luggage required for a 5 day stay (including all the stuff that comes with kids in tow).  We have the second and third bench seats.  Plus the third row is powered for lowering completely flat.  We can fit long wood also with the seats down.  It is just as handy as our pickup truck for hauling.  I cannot express how pleased we have been with the space.  I like the look of the Chevy better, but there is no way I would give up the room of the Ford.

ETA: The third row has the same leg room and size seats as the second row, unlike the Chevy.  Adults have taken extended trips in third row comfortably.

Expand and expound on this a little, please…..

Not Bill, but I found this:

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/Passenger+Van+Safety

Looks like overloading is usually the culprit, but honestly it would still deter me. They just look unstable to me.

Also: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rollover/

http://blog.redwoodsgroup.com/2012/02/why-are-12-and-15-passenger-vans-dangerous/

http://www.safetyresearch.net/2012/03/29/nhtsa-issues-eighth-consumer-advisory-about-dangers-of-15-passenger-vans/

I second that the 12 and 15 passenger vans are dangerous.  I used to work at a small school that used them.  As the reports about how easily they overturn started coming out, the school ended up trading them out and getting small buses.  They were just monsters to drive.  They just feel unsafe.  I know large families deal with more difficult transportation issues than me with my little wagon deal with but I would really do anything you can to avoid that.

I second that the 12 and 15 passenger vans are dangerous.  I used to work at a small school that used them.  As the reports about how easily they overturn started coming out, the school ended up trading them out and getting small buses.  They were just monsters to drive.  They just feel unsafe.  I know large families deal with more difficult transportation issues than me with my little wagon deal with but I would really do anything you can to avoid that.

I just remembered that I actually know a large family that owns a small bus! lol!

I don't think they use it a lot, but I really admire her parking skills.

I just remembered that I actually know a large family that owns a small bus! lol!

I don't think they use it a lot, but I really admire her parking skills.

It sounds crazy, but if I suddenly had eight kids, having driven both, I think it's what I'd get.  You can't park them in most garages, but you can park most anywhere else.  But I'm not up on the larger other vehicles, so maybe I'm off about what's right...

Another vote for a Suburban.  Definitely seats 8 - I've had two adults, two teenagers (one adult sized, one petite), and 4 car seats in that thing comfortably.  And there's a lot of storage space even with the third row in.  We've had enough equipment for a week-long camping trip - including 2-three room tents, 2-canopies, a campstove, sleeping bags/foam mats/pillows for 6 people, luggage for 6 people, 2 coolers, 2 bins of dry foods, 2 bins of pots/pans/dishes/cleaning supplies, beach toys including boogie boards, and a Samoyed.

Thank you for all the replies, especially about the safety concerns.  For some reason it never occurred to me that something so big could be more dangerous.  It's looking like a Suburban is our winner.  Now if I could only convince him that used will be OK.  I just cringe at the prices of the new ones.