Menu

If you don't celebrate Halloween..

Moxie

I would just tell the other person you really appreciate it but don't celebrate, and return the basket. If its anonymous I would just leave it on someone else's door, but wouldn't take anything for my family or involve them.

We don't celebrate Halloween and the kids often have elderly neighbors being stuff over. We just say thank you and pass it on to celebrating friends.

I would bake a plate of cookies or brownies and "pay it forward." I would probably also include the Boo note as the reason for the treats and allow the next person decide what they want to do, but that's my opinion. Depending on your conscientious objection to Halloween you can either include it or not.

Like any chain letter, its not the end of the world if nothing happens. If you do nothing, that's okay too. Sometimes we aren't the right audience for those things and we shouldn't let ourselves be socially manipulated if its not for us. The only thing we should do is be polite, and thankful for any gifts given. 

I would bake a plate of cookies or brownies and "pay it forward." I would probably also include the Boo note as the reason for the treats and allow the next person decide what they want to do, but that's my opinion. Depending on your conscientious objection to Halloween you can either include it or not.

Like any chain letter, its not the end of the world if nothing happens. If you do nothing, that's okay too. Sometimes we aren't the right audience for those things and we shouldn't let ourselves be socially manipulated if its not for us. The only thing we should do is be polite, and thankful for any gifts given. 

I agree. Although I don't really get how just passing the same treats along to someone else would violate anyone's beliefs, I also don't think the family in question should feel compelled or obligated to do anything if they aren't comfortable doing so. It doesn't spoil anyone else's fun to "let the chain die." The receiver can do whatever s/he wants with a gift.

Being Boo'd is like a chain letter, in my opinion. You are under no moral obligation to 'pay it foward' or act on it.

We get Boo'd every year. I am indifferent to Halloween. If we enjoy the contents of the Boo, fine. If not, toss in the trash. Go on with life. You really don't have to Boo someone in return or Karma will hit you.

I often bake a plate of goodies for neighbors around the holidays and consider that my good deed. Others like to Boo people. No difference.

I'd look at is as if mail aimed at someone else ended up in my mailbox by mistake. Just walk it down the street to the appropriate person, no need to feel compelled to add your own Christmas greetings. If its all anonymous, no need to get your name invovled at all.

The only situation that would bother me is if the neighbor who did it knew very clearly that I didn't celebrate the holiday (because I had told them so directly and recently) but was trying to do a passive aggressive thing to "win" by getting me to participate.

I've never heard of such a thing! All of our family & friends know our beliefs & respect them, so I'd have to assume it was from a neighbor we don't know well. Honestly, I'd probably throw it out. :001_unsure: It's such a personal thing...my DH might be ok with eating the candy or whatever (but not passing it on); my conscience is more sensitive. I don't think there's anything wrong per se with any of the options, but like I said, I'm pretty sensitive to stuff like that. It would bother me.

One of my FB friends hates the Boo thing and sticks the sign in her window from year to year so she doesn't get Boo'ed again.

I'd make a copy of the sign and pass along the gifts to a house that has Jack-o-lanterns or other decorations out.

Please elaborate on what's on the sign. Thanks.

I agree. Although I don't really get how just passing the same treats along to someone else would violate anyone's beliefs,.

I would just treat it like a mis-directed letter and would redirect it to someone who participates.  I wouldn't consider that participating.

That was the meaning of my post too. I don't think you should add anything to it. Just give it to someone else. If it's all anonymous you don't really need an explanation like I originally suggested. You can just take it to a neighbor's doorstep and leave it there. Or you can do as mom-ninja suggested and eat the treats. ;)

I will sound like a party pooper but I see this game as akin to a chain letter. If you don't pass it on you squash another's fun. If you pass it on, you put the burden on the next person. I'm not buying it.

We cannot return boo bags because they're anonymous. The instructions say that the recipient is to select two new folks to boo. I let the other person handle it. We do stick the card on the door to let others know we've already been hit. I don't feel bad about this because by the time it gets to us, most of the other neighbors have already been involved and have cards on their doors. No way I'm going out of the neighborhood to perpetuate the cycle.

I have never heard of this thing. You have to do something with the sign I guess. If you know where it came from I would return it to them and tell them I don't celebrate the holiday. If I didn't know who left it I would probably take it to the unofficial keeper of the neighborhood gate and let her deal with it.

A lot of how I handle this stuff depends on intent.

I love Halloween, but semi-secretly because I have many friends who feel it's morally wrong to celebrate it and (frankly) I don't want to be someone they shake their heads over.

So, I do know why you don't celebrate and I'm going to think of what I would do if this happened to me and I didn't think Halloween should be celebrated.

I'd either eat the candy or save it to use to make a Gingerbread house in December or use in other baking.  I wouldn't pass it on, because then you'd be causing someone else to celebrate a holiday you feel is morally wrong to celebrate.  You wouldn't want to be a part of that.  

You could throw it away to make a statement, but I'm not sure if that's necessary. If you feel that eating the candy will indicate that you are celebrating Halloween or showing approval for it, then you would need to toss it.  But if you feel that this isn't a "celebration" of Halloween, but rather is just using up something that was giving to you without you requesting it, then consider it as a practical resource.  Break down the gift into candy pieces, toss anything clearly Halloween related, and then use the candy for eating or baking or whatever.

ETA:  Next year put up a sign to let people know not to give you a boo basket.

I would enjoy the candy and the kindness behind the gesture. I do celebrate but would not pass it along because that is too much effort for me. it would make me smile that someone though about me and it woudn't be about the holiday at all. I would also smile if i received any other gift on any other holiday at random. It was an act of kindness from someone and in our culture it seems like the only acceptable times for acts of kindness like that are during specific holidays.

We are "meh" on Halloween, but we do go trick-or-treating with the boys, and we purchase some candy/etc for neighborhood kids. We were booed for the first time last year on the 30th, so no need to pay it forward. This year, we got hit early in the month. I failed to pay it forward the next night, but we did do it the night after. What bugged me was that we were supposed to boo two houses. Most of what I passed on was the candy from the original boo to our house, and some pencils/stencils/etc. thrown in. Not only are we not huge candy eaters, but most of it contained peanuts/tree nuts, so not something my boys could have. My husband did snag a couple of small bags of Skittles, though. ;)

I like the idea of pre-booing yourself to save yourself the trouble. And if I didn't celebrate at all, I'd just pass along the one basket of goodies we got and call it a day.

ETA: We are in Arizona, btw.

I've never heard of it.  I agree, it's an act of kindness.  I can not fathom being rude or hostile about it.  I was raised Jewish.  People gave us Christmas cards and we were invited to Christmas pageants.  We didn't freak out on anyone or refuse to accept them out of some sort of outrage.  A little perspective-it's not something meant to mock your beliefs.

I haven't heard of this before. Depending on my mood, (lol) I would either just pass it on to another neighbor or not continue it. I wouldn't want to squelch people's fun, but I could see it as something that many people wouldn't like (not just people that don't celebrate Halloween) if it is something that requires time, effort, and money and I wouldn't want to feel like I was burdening someone else with something that I wouldn't want to do.

I don't think not wanting to participate/the possibility of others not wanting to is a good reason to throw away what's basically a gift. If it's anonymous, I'd just pass it on to someone close without taking anything. If it's not, I'd return it to the person who gave it to you with a note saying something like thanks for the gesture, but I don't take part in Halloween.

We are so busy, I can see us leaving the bag outside forever without paying any attention to it.  I don't know this custom, and I live in "the burbs" where scarcely any household knows any other household.   

If it really is structured like a chain letter, I would not be interested in escalating the project.  If two households are to be "booed", I guess I could divide the contents in half and pass them on with a note saying to do the same.  By the laws of calculus, eventually there would be just a molecule of candy to share. 

It sounds harmless, and not worth making a big deal, either positive or negative, about it. 

I've never heard of it.  I agree, it's an act of kindness.  I can not fathom being rude or hostile about it.  I was raised Jewish.  People gave us Christmas cards and we were invited to Christmas pageants.  We didn't freak out on anyone or refuse to accept them out of some sort of outrage.  A little perspective-it's not something meant to mock your beliefs.

This.  Exactly.  "Booing" your neighbors for Halloween is a big deal here.  It is usually accompanied by a fairly elaborate treat (as in a basket full of goodies) and a friendly message about having you as a neighbor.  I can't imagine not passing on the kindness to someone else, even if it wasn't a holiday I celebrate.

We are so busy, I can see us leaving the bag outside forever without paying any attention to it.  I don't know this custom, and I live in "the burbs" where scarcely any household knows any other household.   

If it really is structured like a chain letter, I would not be interested in escalating the project.  If two households are to be "booed", I guess I could divide the contents in half and pass them on with a note saying to do the same.  By the laws of calculus, eventually there would be just a molecule of candy to share. 

It sounds harmless, and not worth making a big deal, either positive or negative, about it. 

I've never seen it structured like a chain letter.......... not in typical chain letter fashion, anyways. A gift arrives on your doorstep with a cute note, telling you to pass on the neighborhood fun to two other neighbors. If you've already received a gift, you put a little sign by your door so that you don't end up with another one. I've seen it done at Christmas time too, with a different theme. It's supposed to be fun, not stressful!

I feel like I should clarify that I have NO issue with Halloween! We're big fans! I have rats and pumpkins on my mantle! But, this is our first year in this neighborhood. We were booed so I booed two people in return; it didn't occur to me until later that I don't know the neighbors well enough to know how they feel about Halloween so I was curious.

We have been Boo'd so many times. Maybe other people give big Boo baskets, but the ones we have received aren't worth the time or energy to pass along or even think about what the intent was. No more than receiving a plate of homemade cookies for Christmas. Enjoy if you like. Toss in the trash if you don't. If it is not homemade and is sealed, donate to food pantry. We often get baked goods given to us at Christmas, too. If I know the person keeps a clean kitchen and is aware of our food allergies and we like the items, we eat. If not, we toss.No guilt. Life is too short to be guilted into passing along a Boo or breaking a chain letter.

This.  Exactly.  "Booing" your neighbors for Halloween is a big deal here.  It is usually accompanied by a fairly elaborate treat (as in a basket full of goodies) and a friendly message about having you as a neighbor.  I can't imagine not passing on the kindness to someone else, even if it wasn't a holiday I celebrate.

That's how it is here.......... it's fun!

I've never seen it structured like a chain letter.......... not in typical chain letter fashion, anyways. A gift arrives on your doorstep with a cute note, telling you to pass on the neighborhood fun to two other neighbors. If you've already received a gift, you put a little sign by your door so that you don't end up with another one. I've seen it done at Christmas time too, with a different theme. It's supposed to be fun, not stressful!

That is actually interesting. We have been Boo'd many times, but never by anyone in our neighborhood!  (Our office/school room is by the front door, so have always caught them in the act though I didn't say anything to them at the time.) 

I feel like I should clarify that I have NO issue with Halloween! We're big fans! I have rats and pumpkins on my mantle! But, this is our first year in this neighborhood. We were booed so I booed two people in return; it didn't occur to me until later that I don't know the neighbors well enough to know how they feel about Halloween so I was curious.

If it is a tradition in your neighborhood than I would assume that anyone who doesn't want to participate would have a sign out or some way to notify the neighbors that they aren't participating.  

This. Exactly. "Booing" your neighbors for Halloween is a big deal here. It is usually accompanied by a fairly elaborate treat (as in a basket full of goodies) and a friendly message about having you as a neighbor. I can't imagine not passing on the kindness to someone else, even if it wasn't a holiday I celebrate.

Passing on the kindness would be participating to me...for my personal conscience. I would not be rude or hostile though. If I am given a gift near Christmas by a neighbor I graciously accept. Just accepting a plate of cookies is different than the booing that is being discussed because it requires further action. So if I could return it to the sender I would kindly do so and tell them we do not celebrate the holiday.

Passing on the kindness would be participating to me...for my personal conscience. I would not be rude or hostile though. If I am given a gift near Christmas by a neighbor I graciously accept. Just accepting a plate of cookies is different than the booing that is being discussed because it requires further action. So if I could return it to the sender I would kindly do so and tell them we do not celebrate the holiday.

I've never seen it where you would know who sent it.......... it's supposed to be anonymous.

Although not a fan of Halloween, I see only friendly gesture in this "boo-ing" thing.  It just came into my memory that this activity has turned up before in my husband's office.  He was clueless to the meaning, of course.  When we remember about it (which we often don't, since Halloween is not on our radar), we try to send some candy to his office to have in a bowl for anyone who wanders in/out. 

Although not a fan of Halloween, I see only friendly gesture in this "boo-ing" thing.  It just came into my memory that this activity has turned up before in my husband's office.  He was clueless to the meaning, of course.  When we remember about it (which we often don't, since Halloween is not on our radar), we try to send some candy to his office to have in a bowl for anyone who wanders in/out. 

Everyone at dh's office knows that there is a welcoming bowl of chocolate on his desk, pretty much all the time. And they know that they have me to thank for it :D .