Menu

Horrible movies based on books?

Mandylubug

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it was a huge mistake to watch an HP movie right after reading (or re-reading) the book. I enjoyed them much more when a lot of time had passed between reading and watching. I usually try to wait at least a year before watching a movie adaptation of a book I've read; otherwise, I'll just get mad and it'll be a complete waste of time.

I would probably feel the same way if I hadn't read the series twice through already. :-)

I don't love the books enough to be upset or anything--not the way I am about the LOTR movies--but, yeah. People who have only seen the movies really have no idea what Harry Potter is really like.

Heidi with Shirley Temple. The boys absolutely loved the novel when I read it to them a couple years ago. Usually after we read a book, we will often watch the movie adaptation. Heidi was horrible. We were all "yelling" at the screen; I wanted to turn it off but the boys wanted to see if there was any redemptive value in it. Nope. None.

We bought that DVD years ago on a clearance rack shortly after reading and loving the book. We were dumbfounded by what they did to that story. As soon as it was over my young kids insisted that we put it in the trash. They made me promise not to give it away because they didn't want anyone else to have the story ruined for them by that awful DVD!

Any of the Harry Potter movies - and it seemed that as the movies progressed, so did the creative license they took. I was so incredibly disappointed.
Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief - Ds loved the books, and was so angry at TLT that he asked us if we could just donate the movie.
Shirley Temple versions of A Little Princess or Heidi. I loved those books - absolutely adored them - as a child. The Shirley Temple versions are practically different stories. 

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

Ella Enchanted - just...no.

The Jim Carrey How The Grinch Stole Christmas.

The Mike Myers The Cat in the Hat (DH offered those)

Stardust - I just...the adaptation and the casting really did not work for me, at all. 

Really, any Disney adaptations of fairy tales - which are fun on their own, but The Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Three Musketeers really didn't end that way, Disney.

The Dark is Rising.  I refused to even entertain the notion of watching the movie when I read they'd made Will Stanton an American.  The trailer sealed the deal.

Seriously? How does it even work if he's an American?

Swiss Family Robinson. The movie is a disneyfied disaster.

YES! I clicked on this thread to add this one. I actually never saw the movie so not sure it counts but The Dark is Rising is my favorite childhood book series so I just refused once I’d heard what they had done to it. We even went to Cornwall on our honeymoon primarily due to this series so I felt pretty strongly about these books. :) 

There were 8. :)

For me it was a huge mistake to watch an HP movie right after reading (or re-reading) the book. I enjoyed them much more when a lot of time had passed between reading and watching. I usually try to wait at least a year before watching a movie adaptation of a book I've read; otherwise, I'll just get mad and it'll be a complete waste of time.

I just remembered another one. The BBC version of The Woman in White was terrible.

I totally agree. My dh hates going to movies with me that are based on books and having to hear me complain about how it’s too different and ruined, etc. I’ve learned that it’s better to try and judge the movie as a movie and the book as a book. I actually thought the Harry Potter movies did a pretty good job as movies. 

But of course the books are better. : )

I agree with most of these.  Especially the Percy Jacksons.  Ick.

Hunger Games totally lost a lot of its meaning and depth with the movie, though it wasn't the worst film adaptation I've ever seen.  

Mortal Instruments was just plain painful to watch.  Terrible.  Terrible. 

I did love the Hobbit and LoTR movies, though.  Hobbit is really dissimilar to the book in many ways (partly due to incorporating more of the history of Middle Earth and the Silmarillion).  But it wasn't a "bad" movie.  

The Harry Potters?  The first two were very close to the books.  The third was my favorite because I felt it really captured the mood of the books.  4-6 were horribly painful to watch.  I guess if you're not a book purist like myself you'd like them, but I spent most of my time critiquing.  The 7.1 movie was actually really good minus some parts I wish were left in.  7.2 was ok, but the books are always better. 

I'm sure there are more, but those are off the top of my head. 

One of my favorite books as a child was The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge.  I was excited when I read that a film version was in production.  Then I read how the storyline was mutilated and mangled beyond recognition.  I did not bother seeing the film.

All of my children loved the Prydain Chronicles, a five-book series by Lloyd Alexander.  Years ago, Disney issued a garbage pile that shared title with The Black CauldronUGH !!!

I'm sorry, guys, but I completely disagree about the Harry Potter movies.  Do they follow the books perfectly?  No.  Are they actually horrible movies?  Good grief, no.  There are a few others people are mentioning that I think fall into that category too, but HP seems the clearest to me here.

I think when some people really love a book, they have trouble separating the book and the movie.  If the HP books had never been written, or if you enjoyed fantasy movies but weren't able to read them for some reason, I think it would be easy to see that they're fine, even if you didn't just adore them for some reason.

In what was basically English 101 at my college, we had an assignment to read Howard's End and watch the film and pick a scene to compare the two.  Every single paper slammed the movie as being clearly worse except mine.  Because it's not a bad movie.  It's a great movie.  It was nominated for Academy Awards for goodness sake.  It's beautifully filmed and acted.  I wanted to throttle everyone in the class and tell them to get over their literary snobbery.

Of course, some of these being mentioned are just painfully bad films - like the Wrinkle in Time mentioned above.  And then knowing that the source material was so good makes it worse.

All of my children loved the Prydain Chronicles, a five-book series by Lloyd Alexander.  Years ago, Disney issued a garbage pile that shared title with The Black CauldronUGH !!!

Okay, I was just going to pick on HP, but I disagree with this too.  I adore the Prydain Chronicles (I spent much of my middle school years trying to teach myself Welsh and researching Welsh mythology thanks to these books).  And Disney's Black Cauldron is very different - it's clearly inspired by but not really a retelling of the book.  But the animation is dark and weird and cool.  I actually really like it, even if it's not the same as the book exactly.  The movie was greenlit because there was an expectation that dark fantasy was going to be the next big thing...  and then it wasn't.  So Disney had to rework their animation and figure out what to do next...  and they ended up with The Little Mermaid formula.  Nothing against that really...  but I wouldn't have minded more dark animated fantasy instead myself.

Do the Batman movies of the 90's count? They are based on comic books, but they were still pretty awful...

Also, the original Cheaper by the Dozen from the 50s or 60s was sooo fun! The newer remake with that white haired guy was horrible!!! Same for Yours, Mine and Ours--thought I don't know that it was a book first.

I did love the Hobbit and LoTR movies, though.  Hobbit is really dissimilar to the book in many ways (partly due to incorporating more of the history of Middle Earth and the Silmarillion).  But it wasn't a "bad" movie.  

The Harry Potters?  The first two were very close to the books.  The third was my favorite because I felt it really captured the mood of the books.  4-6 were horribly painful to watch.  I guess if you're not a book purist like myself you'd like them, but I spent most of my time critiquing.  The 7.1 movie was actually really good minus some parts I wish were left in.  7.2 was ok, but the books are always better.  :iagree: :iagree:

I'm sure there are more, but those are off the top of my head. 

I agree whole heartedly with both points with one change--I was sad and irritated that they left out the valentine delivery scene from HP #2. It was the one scene from the books that made me laugh out loud and I looked forward to seeing it, but nope, didn't happen. :(.

I found the HP books to range mostly from ''okay" to "good" not really good and definitely not great, so I wasn't too invested in the films. That last movie 7.2 annoyed the bejeezus out of me!!! *grrr*....

Heidi with Shirley Temple. The boys absolutely loved the novel when I read it to them a couple years ago. Usually after we read a book, we will often watch the movie adaptation. Heidi was horrible. We were all "yelling" at the screen; I wanted to turn it off but the boys wanted to see if there was any redemptive value in it. Nope. None.

Yep. My girls and I just finished the book then watched the movie. My girls were sooooo irritated and disappointed!

I remember that movie.  I walked out of the theater thinking  :eek:  :thumbdown: .

I loved the Prydain Chronicles.  That series got me through an awful sixth grade year.  Hmmm, I think I will re-read it very soon!

Do the Batman movies of the 90's count? They are based on comic books, but they were still pretty awful...

Also, the original Cheaper by the Dozen from the 50s or 60s was sooo fun! The newer remake with that white haired guy was horrible!!! Same for Yours, Mine and Ours--thought I don't know that it was a book first.

"that white haired guy"???

That's Steve Martin.

For some reason I now feel as old as dirt.

I wanted to throttle everyone in the class and tell them to get over their literary snobbery.

Of course, some of these being mentioned are just painfully bad films - like the Wrinkle in Time mentioned above. And then knowing that the source material was so good makes it worse.

Maybe they simply didn't like the movie. Is it also snobbery to presume to tell others what movies they are allowed to call horrible or not as good as the book?

As an example, Ella Enchanted unquestionably falls into the "painfully bad" category for me, and even if it had won dozens of awards or if critics had loved it, I wouldn't have hated the movie any less than I did. You're free to disagree with the assessment that HP or Howard's End are bad movies, but your opinions are still subjective just like everyone else's and don't invalidate the viewing experiences of others.

I thought of another one. This version of Jane Eyre. I watched it on Netflix once and it was awful. Jane Eyre is one of my all time favorite books.

Pretty much every movie of Jane Eyre ever made (although I don't mind the

). They should all be re-named Rochester: the Dark Romantic Hero. blech.

To add to the crimes perpetuated in the name of Shirley Temple: Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. Excellent book. The movie has nothing to do with the book other than the names of a few characters and putting her on an actual farm (??? One wonders if they actually read the book). Severe disappointment. 

Maybe they simply didn't like the movie. Is it also snobbery to presume to tell others what movies they are allowed to call horrible or not as good as the book?

As an example, Ella Enchanted unquestionably falls into the "painfully bad" category for me, and even if it had won dozens of awards or if critics had loved it, I wouldn't have hated the movie any less than I did. You're free to disagree with the assessment that HP or Howard's End are bad movies, but your opinions are still subjective just like everyone else's and don't invalidate the viewing experiences of others.

I think there's a difference between taste and quality.  I really dislike Moby Dick.  But does that make Moby Dick a bad book?  Of course not.  I can recognize that it's a piece of quality literature.  That I really didn't enjoy or like.  Sure, there's a place in between where people can differ, but I think there are two ends where it's much harder to.  Art is not completely subjective, even if our individual responses are.

Ella Enchanted is a weird movie.  It's not a horrible movie per se - the filming is fine, the acting is decent, the story hangs together okay, there's nothing in the story that is offensive or anything, but I also really disliked it when compared to the book.  And it's not good enough on its own for me to appreciate it outside of the context of the book.  It adds in all those pop culture references and changes Ella's personality so much.  My kids didn't really like it either. 

ETA: I was thinking about this...  I don't think the reason I wanted to throttle them was their dislike of the movie per se...  It was more that it came from an assumption that movies based on books are always, always bad.  They never even considered it.  They said as much in the class discussion, which was how i knew that mine was the only paper that had anything positive to say about the film.  And I found that small minded and frustrating.  If they had considered it seriously and rejected it, that would be different.

Ella Enchanted

I think it's perfectly fair to like some of these movies if you haven't read the book. I like the original Dune (though the syfy miniseries was better in many ways and definitely truer to the book), and Ella Enchanted. But I never really got into Frank Herbert's writing, and never read Ella Enchanted at all.

The animated Hobbit was so bad it was good. "Frodo of the nine fingers, and the ring of dooooom!"

Starship Troopers really spoke to me when I was young and serving my country. The movie was just a wretched mangling of a book I valued for its themes and a total letdown on the effects side--where were the Battle Suits!?!

Read Ella Enchanted!! It was one of my favorite books when I was 12-14. I've re-read it so many times at one time I probably could have told the whole story to you. I knew the movie wasn't going to look like the book in my head but I had no idea it was going to be THAT awful. They kept the NAMES of most of the characters, the concept of her curse, and that's it. :shudder: It's awful even if it had never been based on a book. And sadly, no one is ever going to re-make it right.

I find I do better with books turned into movies if I see the movie first. I'm a book purist (I refuse to see the new P&P) and I'm just miserable otherwise. I saw the movie Beastly before ever reading the book. If I had read the book first I would have been very annoyed. They completely changed the beast's appearance for one thing. But having seen the movie first I'm okay with the creative changes they made.

I think it's perfectly fair to like some of these movies if you haven't read the book. I like the original Dune (though the syfy miniseries was better in many ways and definitely truer to the book), and Ella Enchanted. But I never really got into Frank Herbert's writing, and never read Ella Enchanted at all.

I like the original Dune as well. I like the costumes and design of the David Lynch version. I also think the actors are much better  and not to mention Sting is half naked in it. :lol: When I watch it I tend to watch the three hour cut and not the cut that was released in theaters. I have also watched the four hour cut. I think if they had left David Lynch alone it would have been brilliant. Visually the film is just stunning. Dune is just so big, vast, and epic.  

I am a big Frank Herbert fan and while I realize the David Lynch version did get off the path a bit he really portrayed many things how I see them in my head while reading the books.

There were some interviews with Herbert regarding the film

http://www.slashfilm.com/david-lynch-and-frank-herbert-discuss-dune/

I get asked a specific question a lot of times, if the settings, the scenes that I saw in David’s film match my original imagination, the things I projected in my imagination. I must tell you that some of them do, precisely. Some of them don’t, and some of them are better. Which is what you would expect of artists such as David and Tony Masters. I’m delighted with that! Why not take it and improve on it visually? As far as I’m concerned the film is a visual feast.

FWIW I was probably about 6-7 when I first saw it so it would have made a much different impression on me than it may have someone seeing the movie at an older age. Of course I hadn't read Dune at that age but I read it a couple years later, my parents had those books)

I'm sorry, guys, but I completely disagree about the Harry Potter movies.  Do they follow the books perfectly?  No.  Are they actually horrible movies?  Good grief, no.  There are a few others people are mentioning that I think fall into that category too, but HP seems the clearest to me here.

I think when some people really love a book, they have trouble separating the book and the movie.  If the HP books had never been written, or if you enjoyed fantasy movies but weren't able to read them for some reason, I think it would be easy to see that they're fine, even if you didn't just adore them for some reason.

In what was basically English 101 at my college, we had an assignment to read Howard's End and watch the film and pick a scene to compare the two.  Every single paper slammed the movie as being clearly worse except mine.  Because it's not a bad movie.  It's a great movie.  It was nominated for Academy Awards for goodness sake.  It's beautifully filmed and acted.  I wanted to throttle everyone in the class and tell them to get over their literary snobbery.

Of course, some of these being mentioned are just painfully bad films - like the Wrinkle in Time mentioned above.  And then knowing that the source material was so good makes it worse.

I disagree about HP. For you personally, they may not be horrible. But IMO, yes, they are horrible movies. Even separating them from the books, I think they are horrible 3 and on. They are choppy with no depth. I feel the whole time as if it's going "This happened and then this happened and then this happened and then......." with no pause for breath.

I thought the worst Harry Potter movies were 1 and 2.   I might just be really biased against Chris Columbus.  3 was better.  4 was groan worthy.  Movies 7 and 8 were a lot better than I thought they would be.  

Yes, I totally agree.  I thought the more they got away from the books a bit, the better they were able to tell a better, clearer, more cinematic story.  Most movie critics seem to agree.  Most HP fanatics don't.

Oh, I will never forgive Kevin Sullivan for that Continuing Story Anne movie that had her and Gilbert in WWI. The sequel he did combining Anne of Avonlea and Anne of the Island and Anne of Windy Poplars was awful enough to the original material but at least it was watchable. There is plenty of good material in the actual books that would make a great PBS type movie.  

The Golden Compass movie was a profound disappointment. When it ended (in a way that thoroughly disregarded the book), about half the people in the theater howled, "Nooooooo!" Sort of gratifying, really.

And while Holes probably wasn't a terrible movie, I really didn't think it came close to the book. But that may be at least partly because I find the young man who plays Stanley to be a little off-putting.

The Golden Compass movie was a profound disappointment. When it ended (in a way that thoroughly disregarded the book), about half the people in the theater howled, "Nooooooo!" Sort of gratifying, really.

I read that they were going to move the book-ending to the start of the second movie, and then the second movie never got made.

My niece LOVES the movie and I thought about getting the book for her for Christmas, but I think they'd have the exact opposite reaction. Probably love the movie hate the book. :glare:

To be fair, the book IS dreadfully boring. I'd seen it recommended so many times on here that I picked it up for a read aloud. It took me three weeks to get through it. I had to force myself to pick it up every few days to read a chapter or two.

To be fair, the book IS dreadfully boring. I'd seen it recommended so many times on here that I picked it up for a read aloud. It took me three weeks to get through it. I had to force myself to pick it up every few days to read a chapter or two.

It's totally worth it for the payoff: Why couldn't the plan to bring penguins to the Arctic work? There's a great lesson there about top predators and sitting ducks.

Pretty much every movie of Jane Eyre ever made (although I don't mind the Masterpiece version). They should all be re-named Rochester: the Dark Romantic Hero. blech.

To add to the crimes perpetuated in the name of Shirley Temple: Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. Excellent book. The movie has nothing to do with the book other than the names of a few characters and putting her on an actual farm (??? One wonders if they actually read the book). Severe disappointment. 

:iagree: with both.

I had forgotten Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. :glare:

One of my favorite books as a child was The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge.  I was excited when I read that a film version was in production.  Then I read how the storyline was mutilated and mangled beyond recognition.  I did not bother seeing the film.

I broke down and got the movie from NetFlix. At first I thought it might be ok, but no. Sad, sad, sad.

The Little White Horse is one of the three books I don't understand not being required reading for every person in the entire known world: The Little White Horse, Understood Betsy, and the Chestry Oak. Happily, no one has tried to adapt either of the others.

Oh my, we just finished Disney's A Wrinkle in Time based on the book. It was horrible. So bad that my kids wanted to stop watching it. My experience is typically the book is best, movie slightly cheesy pattern. However, this movie was HORRIBLE and it even through in evolution snippits that were not even in the book. The book painted a masterly planned universe battling evil. I have no issue with evolution being included in stories texts etc. I do have an issue when you make a production and change one context of a story to make it more politically correct. Maybe P.C. isn't the correct terminology. IDK

Any other book to movie's we should skip?

Augh! We read A Wrinkle in Time in August and then watched the movie ... we basically heckled our way through it.

I read Pippi Longstocking with my kindergartener and I'm not sure if I want to watch the movie. The title song is bad enough.

'