Menu

s/o my own thread...corelle dishes

ProudGrandma

it seems like a lot of you have corelle...so if you do...what is your pattern? I am still thnking I want stone...but I also love the idea of thin, takes up less space, and not big and heavy...

but I really can't seem to fall in love with any of the patterns...

but, I am still curious as to what pattern you all have.

We used to have the Corelle square plates with the cool geometric design but the design felt like nails on chalkboard whenever your fork touched it and DH hated the square shape.  After that we went through two different types of plates we've (DH!) has been unhappy with.  Right now we have the plain white Ikea dishes and they are okay.   We are talking about just going to the plain white Corelle dishes because they take up no room, are light, are easy to replace, easy to get, have all sorts of sizes for options, are inexpensive, and will last forever.  We love entertaining and would rather have a bunch of inexpensive Corelle plates that we use rather than paper plates and we can't afford to have enough dishes to serve 30 if we're buying Fiestaware. 

ETA:  After a number of different pattern and color dishes I've come to really like plain white.  Food always looks good against plain white and you can always dress up the table with a cool tablecloth or decorations to make the mood fancier. 

I have white and like it just fine - the plain thin white plates.  I used to have a set of nicer plates, but they got all chipped and looked bad.  I have two boys doing my dishes so it just makes sense to have something light and something that's really hard to break.  My mom also had the same dishes and replaced them with fiestaware once all the little people were out of the house.  I will probably do the same.  Eventually, I'll have nice dishes.

Beth

We have the Simple Lines and bought it open stock from the site to get extra plates and bowls. i love being able to stack 20 plates in teh cabinet shelf, where before I could barely fit 8 of the heavy stoneware. We've had these for 3 years, along with salad plates, mugs, ramekins....and nothing has broken or chipped and after countless washings they still look as good as when we bought them.  I think some styles, like ours, stay around for ages, while less popular ones may not. They are simple white with black curved lines, so I can add anything black or white in to accent as needed. 

NEprairiemom, Walmart has a few patterns of Corelle open stock, so you can at least get a feel for the dishes. 

I have my grandmothers which are a horribly ugly butterfly gold, and then I have my own which are the country cottage ones. I could count on my hands the number of plates I saw break from my mom's set. When they did break though, they shattered. My mom has just about been begging people to take hers. Now that she has no kids she'd like to upgrade to some nicer dinnerware and get rid of the corelle.

White Enhancements.  I had the plain white for years as it was a wedding gift.  I replaced it with the Enhancements maybe 10 years ago.  I still have some of the plain white bowls and such.

I have lots of colored cloth napkins and colored serving dishes. 

I have the white square set. I LOVE them!! They are simple and look modern. They fit into the dishwasher perfectly and wash up beautifully. I don't think we have broken any, and my kids are hard on things. I get many compliments, and my sister went out and bought the same set after seeing mine. 

The dinner plates are very big, we actually use the smaller salad plate most often. I found small round white Corelle desert plates that match nicely. I needed something small for cake, etc. 

I ordered mine from Amazon, but I see the price has gone up since I bought them. If you have a Shopko, they carry them and are now cheaper than Amazon. 

I wasn't crazy about the coffee cups that go with them, they are not the same material. I stored mine away somewhere and actually forgot about them until this thread. 

I have Corelle dishes I bought when I graduated college. They are beige with peach colored hearts on the edges. I graduated in '89 if that lets you know how long they will hold up!

I have some from '89, '90, and '95. We have TONS of Corelle. I have a 4pc set, 16 plain white dinner places, 10 plain white bread plates, 8 white bowls, 6 white fruit bowls, 6 super teeny bowls (great for snacks like nuts), 16 dinner plates & 16 salad plates of another pattern. I'm ready for a pattern change, but in 20 years, we have only ever broken one bowl... that was when I was unloading the dishwasher, the bowl slipped, and I tried to catch it~~I hit the bowl, it flew up in the air and flipped wildly. It flipped and flipped until it landed on its edge on my ceramic tile floor and shattered. One bowl. I still have TONS of dishes left. I don't think they'll ever break!

did you see all of the discontinued patterns on the website...they probably have 4 times the number of dicontinued patterns than they have available patterns...that makes me think each pattern doesn't stay around very long...and if you break a plate...you are stuck...yes??

Well, I have four different patterns. The plain white will probably never be discontinued. The problem is that they are 'plain white'.

I also have the French Swirl.... they give a little 'oomph' to the plain white, and will also probably never be discontinued.

My main dinner set has a light green color with pictures of Basil, Thyme, Rosemary, etc on it. I haven't seen it for a while, but I honestly haven't looked.

My original set for 4 people from '89 is still available... it is white with little blue and pink flowers on the rim (it was a gift and is not my taste).

Chances are, with Corelle, you'll get super sick of your pattern before you have to worry about replacement pieces.

Plain white.

I dress up or down with placemats and such.

The nice thing about white is that it has been around forever.  We had a white set when I was a kid in the 70s.  (We took it to Africa with us!)   Sooooooo.........replacing them is never a problem!  You can always add to your collection.  I have seen patterns come and go.  Remember the gold or avocado trim patters in the 70s?    Can't find them anymore!  And not only that, but the patterns do wear off after a while.

A tip......if you get that black/grey marking on your white dishes, use Bar Keepers Friend gently and it comes right off.

Dawn

Mine was Rosemarie. -- I started out with 8 place settings about 20 years ago.  5-6 years ago, we were getting low, so we got something else, but I still have a few pieces.  They held up a lot better than the nicer china I got from Macy's to replace it.  Thinking of going back to Corelle, not sure what pattern I'd pick this time around. 

This is my pattern. I don't remember the name, but it went away when they switched to only white patterns.

It's 7-8 years old and we use them for every meal, every day and wash them in the dishwasher. I even take them out on the patio when we eat outdoors. I figure if they break I have an excuse to get more, but we've never broken one. I have 8 each of the dinner plates, lunch plates, bowls, small bowls, and saucers.

0D189897-FBD2-4717-875C-FF7DA9CA8D49-131

We have a mix and match of quite a few older patterns, all purchased at Goodwill and garage sales. We have some plain white along with:

Snowflake blue

http://img1.etsystatic.com/008/0/5793368/il_570xN.392133971_dhso.jpg

Butterfly gold

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4784512751_eb5c745b44.jpg

Crazy daisy

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6005/5997586937_ef41fcbfc0.jpg

Woodland brown

http://cdn-s3-0.wanelo.com/product/image/1744964/original.jpg

I also collect vintage Pyrex in similar colors/patterns, and most of our home furnishings are a collection of thrift store mid-century modern finds, so the older Corelle fits right in with the whole retro thing we have going on.

We have a mix and match of quite a few older patterns, all purchased at Goodwill and garage sales. We have some plain white along with:

Snowflake blue

http://img1.etsystatic.com/008/0/5793368/il_570xN.392133971_dhso.jpg

Butterfly gold

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4784512751_eb5c745b44.jpg

Crazy daisy

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6005/5997586937_ef41fcbfc0.jpg

Woodland brown

http://cdn-s3-0.wanelo.com/product/image/1744964/original.jpg

I also collect vintage Pyrex in similar colors/patterns, and most of our home furnishings are a collection of thrift store mid-century modern finds, so the older Corelle fits right in with the whole retro thing we have going on.

My grandmother has used the same Butterfly Gold dishes for as long as I can remember. She's still using it. The real china comes out twice a year.

We have Classic Cafe Red....they look like this except the cubs were white with a red stripe when I bought them.  We had Pfaltzgraf Heritage dishes before, heavy!!!  We love these and just keep adding to them. 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10251165?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000008770&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=13684133350&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=34440412270&veh=sem

My grandmother has used the same Butterfly Gold dishes for as long as I can remember. She's still using it. The real china comes out twice a year.

My grandmother had the Butterfly Gold, too and DH thinks his grandmother did as well :D

I have a set with blue gingham and sunflowers that I registered for when we got married. DH has a beige set that he bought when he went to college.

We have Rosemarie, we've used it for 15+ years, and I'm ready for something new. And heaven help me, I have a few pieces of that Butterfly gold from my mom's old set... How much of that stuff did they sell, seems like we all have it, LOL?!?

I'm seriously considering this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Corelle-Squares-Happy-Days-16-Piece-Dinnerware-Set/10828374?findingMethod=rr

It just looks so cheerful!

Panda, I love that pattern, too bad they discontinued it. And Miriam, those pink flowered are really cute, too!

I should say I don't LOVE correlle, I'd rather have some "real" dishes, but I have arthritis in my hands and corelle is so much lighter for washing, putting away, etc. I hate that they shatter when they break but love that they don't often break. 

I did have one white dish stain on the edge a bit...it was where a plastic red plate touched it in the dishwasher. 

I have a very full set for 12 in the "Winter Frost White" (Dinner plates, lunch plates, salad plates, bread plates, cereal bowls, soup bowls, pasta bowls, ramekins, dessert/snack bowls, divided plates, serving trays, 1.5 qt. serving bowls, 2 qt. serving bowls, salt and pepper shakers, teapot, the whole shebang.).  I bought the original set and all the other pieces in open stock at the Corelle store (May have been an outlet?) near my town.

I also have a limited set of the Callaway set that I use for holiday dishes (for 8). I still have a some of my grandmother's blue velvet pieces, but not many, and I don't use them often. 

Callaway is the set we have now...and I honestly don't like them...(if we buy something differnet, we will be selling our set...anybody here want them? I have no idea how to ship dishes, but I am sure I can figure it out.)...

the only sets I have seen that I even sort of like are: Harmony, Square-daisy Days, Square Koto Leaves, Livingware: Watercolors, Memphis or Squared. But I need to see them in person before I decide. (Oh, I would have linked them, but most of the time I am unable to use anything in the blue tool box above the replies....if anybody knows how to fix this problem, I would love to know)....

I have a mishmash of patterns.  If my kids or I see Corelle with a pattern one of us likes at Goodwill, I pick up a couple of pieces. 

We have Snowflake Blue (my favorite), Butterfly Gold (I don't like it, one of the kids begged for it), Crazy Daisy (my mom's castoffs), some that is all white, and a few other patterns that I don't know the names of.

Anyone know how I can find the names of my patterns? Y'all have me curious now, but when I went to look, I can't find them.

The plain white & French swirl are 'gimmies', but I can't find the other two. When I go to the Corelle web page they aren't listed as discontinued, nor are they showing up in the 'current' sections. 

Any more ideas? I just spent too much time poking on Wal-Mart's web page and gave up. :bigear: