Menu

A bit of a sticky wicket

Danestress

Please do not quote any of this.

I need input.  

I month ago I booked a vacation in the Caribbean. The people I am renting from (I have paid in full) have three apartments they rent and live on site. The offer a lot of services - help with car rentals, book fishing trips, etc.  The accommodations are a bit removed from the touristy parts of the island, so we will rely on their help.  They appear to have been in business for a number of years, and there are a lot of reviews online - like a hundred.  Mostly they have very positive reviews.  A couple of clients felt nit picked over their deposit, but I am overall comfortable with this.  It's a fairly low rent kind of place  - just cottages - and the clients are mostly from the UK - not sure why that is.  Most people raved about how lovely, helpful, and personable the owners were.

Anyway, the owner was extremely helpful when I made inquiries, sent me lots of information and photos, and was easy to deal with. 

Today I got an email from her asking if she could have a camera shipped to my house.  I assume shipping to her Island is really expensive.  I am the kind of person who normally will help out.  I don't really feel a big scam here.  But here's the deal.  We are not going until December.  So I am not sure if she wants me to hold a camera for her until December or wants me to ship it to her (which I probably would not agree to do).

It just seems so weird. She said she would need my phone number and address.  Of course, she has those already from our booking information.  She doesn't have our financial info - we paid for our rental through a bank to bank wire transfer.

I can't figure out what the scam here would be.  But I also don't know how to respond.  I always want to be helpful, and really, their goodwill would make a big difference in our vacation.  But I also don't want to be stupid, and all of a sudden I am feeling anxiety about a vacation I was really looking forward to.  

I haven't responded to her yet, even though my response should probably be to ask if she wants me to ship to her or just bring it. 

Is this weird?  Or just the way people operate who live in places where everything is very expensive and there is no free shipping?  

Knowing myself, I would just ignore the question and pretend I never received that email ha ha. I know that doesn't help you, though! lol

Ha.  That's what I have done so far.  If I respond, it will be a with the team effort of my WTM friends behind me:)  It's like I am frozen without your help.

Just tell her you would be uncomfortable with being responsible for such an expensive piece of equipment. Just keep saying no that you don't want to be responsible. Thank you for thinking if me, but no. You're really not the person she wants for this job, no. You're mind is made up, no. Please.

Ask her more questions!  If she's simply wanting you to bring the camera to her in December, I don't see the harm. I'm sure her culture is more relaxed about a lot of things than we Americans are, including things like this. 

I would e-mail her or contact her directly using contact information you have used in the past.  Do not reply to the e-mail directly.  It could be someone else pretending to be her who hacked into her e-mail address book.  (We had our "dentist" e-mail us asking us for money because he was stranded on  his vacation!  It obviously was not him.)  I would ask to clarify her request.  Just tell her that you are not traveling until December and while you would not mind bringing the camera with you, your circumstances don't allow you to send the camera if that is what she would be requesting.  

That is a strange request, given the nature of your relationship with this person.

While I don't see any real scam-potential, I do see a potential downside to taking the camera with you in December.  What if it gets damaged while you're traveling?  Then you're responsible.  

I think your best bet is to figure out a way to nicely extricate yourself from this request.  Politely declining shouldn't affect your stay with these people in December (I wouldn't advise just ignoring the request).  I would imagine that they want to make sure you have a positive experience, regardless of whether you do this favor for them or not.  

That is a strange request, given the nature of your relationship with this person.

While I don't see any real scam-potential, I do see a potential downside to taking the camera with you in December.  What if it gets damaged while you're traveling?  Then you're responsible.  

I think your best bet is to figure out a way to nicely extricate yourself from this request.  Politely declining shouldn't affect your stay with these people in December (I wouldn't advise just ignoring the request).  I would imagine that they want to make sure you have a positive experience, regardless of whether you do this favor for them or not.  

I am worried about having the camera in my possession for that very reason - what if if arrives damaged?  I am not worried about having to declare it in customs because we will be four people traveling with almost nothing of value - bathing suits and flip flops are pretty much it:)

I am worried that if I decline, it will make them not love me and want to go the extra mile to make my vacation great, but I guess that is what makes the request sort of unprofessional.  One is liable to feel that way, right?

At the same time, I'm just a nice person, and I do want to do nice things for people.  I'm glad no one is seeing massive scam potential here.  I'm still undecided and haven't emailed follow up questions.  Just stewing on it.  

She's putting you in a very uncomfortable spot.  It is unprofessional IMO.  

But if you arrive with a damaged camera, how are they going to feel then?  Will you have to spend your vacation time trying to figure out how to deal with the repercussions of that?  

Better to decline now, let her find someone else, and hopefully she will have completely forgotten about this come December.  

Do you know how much the item costs? If I could afford it, I would buy it myself and deliver during my visit. I would be very uncomfortable having an item shipped to me, but I am the suspicious sort. Is it really the item she said it would be, or is something illegal? My mind works that way!

Best wishes on whatever you decide.

ETA - are  you flying to your visit? At the airport, do they still ask if you are carrying something for someone else? It that's the case, you would have to unpack the item and inspect it  yourself. I would be very uneasy.

again ETA - could she send you the money and let you purchase the item yourself? It is the having a package sent to my house that I would have to deliver that makes me so uneasy. If the cost was not too high, I would be willing to purchase it my self and deliver.

I would worry about scam, but not from the owners.  I would think someone could have hacked into their e-mail account and be pretending to be them.

I'd be asking more questions, but like suggested before, I would use an e-mail I know was legit.  They may end up thanking you for alerting them to the scam.

IF it is just a case of needing to have something delivered more inexpensively (doubtful, but IF true) I'd have no problem doing it.  Sometimes we have done this for friends who live in Canada (back when I lived on the border).

Years ago, our neighbors (Romanian citizens living/working in the US) asked us to pick up a laptop for them from a relative when we were visiting Paris.  I told them I would be uncomfortable hauling it around with me while we traveled, etc.  A few months later, someone from the US government was interviewing neighbors, etc. because this person wanted a job and I remember the hairs on my neck standing up when one of the questions was something like, "Did this person ever ask you to ... ?"  

It might have been a harmless situation all around, but i am so glad I said, "No".

I wouldn't do it, just because of all the concerns above.

Some places in the Caribbean have extremely high import duties. But, as a visitor, you can often bring in things for your own use or as gifts. That could be what is behind it. But I still would not want to get involved. 

I would e-mail her or contact her directly using contact information you have used in the past.  Do not reply to the e-mail directly.  It could be someone else pretending to be her who hacked into her e-mail address book.  (We had our "dentist" e-mail us asking us for money because he was stranded on  his vacation!  It obviously was not him.)  I would ask to clarify her request.  Just tell her that you are not traveling until December and while you would not mind bringing the camera with you, your circumstances don't allow you to send the camera if that is what she would be requesting.  

I like the idea of getting clarification but I would be careful about saying "I would not mind..."

I suggest you don't say anything that might make it seem that you are agreeable to the idea, at least not at first.  Not even a hint that you might do it.

Remember that there are other guests staying in those cottages.  So there is likely someone else they can ask this of.  Maybe even someone who is arriving before December!

I'm also of the nature to always want to help someone out who asks.  However, I am so, so leery of taking anything like this ("electronics", sort of) that's a "gift" on a plane.  I'm probably over paranoid.  Maybe it's because of all those questions when we travel -- "did anyone give you something to bring that you didn't pack yourself", etc. etc.   A few years back we were traveling to Egypt for a short vacation and a man in front of us in the check-in line at the airport asked us to take a stroller (packed in a box) as one of our items, because we had next to nothing and he had a ton of items.  Even then, the guy was going on the plane with us, etc. etc., I hesitated.  I'm paranoid when it comes to air travel.

I wouldn't do it but I'm not the person to give advice on being tactful so I can't tell you how to decline.

I do see the scam potential here.  Who knows where they're shipping this from?  It could be something that has been (purposely) tampered with & they could use you to bring it through customs.  Even if it's just a camera, they are doing it to save on not only shipping, but duties, right?  If not illegal (I don't honestly know), it is a bit unethical IMO, YMMV.

But maybe I've just seen too many episodes of Locked-up Abroad., LOL.

I hope you're able to have a nice vacation whatever you decide.

A few years back we were traveling to Egypt for a short vacation and a man in front of us in the check-in line at the airport asked us to take a stroller (packed in a box) as one of our items, because we had next to nothing and he had a ton of items.  Even then, the guy was going on the plane with us, etc. etc., I hesitated.  I'm paranoid when it comes to air travel.

IMO this kind of situation is not the one to be overly accomodating with.  I think you made the smart choice.  If you (general you) want to be kind, be patient as you wait for people to go through with all their things, even if it takes a long time.  There is no completely ethical reason to accept any items from someone else to take on a plane.  Even if it were just a stroller, he doesn't want to pay the extra baggage fee or something.  I wouldn't be comfortable with that.

I'm also of the nature to always want to help someone out who asks.  However, I am so, so leery of taking anything like this ("electronics", sort of) that's a "gift" on a plane.  I'm probably over paranoid.  Maybe it's because of all those questions when we travel -- "did anyone give you something to bring that you didn't pack yourself", etc. etc.   A few years back we were traveling to Egypt for a short vacation and a man in front of us in the check-in line at the airport asked us to take a stroller (packed in a box) as one of our items, because we had next to nothing and he had a ton of items.  Even then, the guy was going on the plane with us, etc. etc., I hesitated.  I'm paranoid when it comes to air travel.

Absolutely be wary!  Just because someone has been ticketed (and/or checked baggage) on a flight does not mean that they will actually physically board the flight.  Thus if someone unsuspectingly  "accepts" baggage to check for someone else, they themselves might inadvertently transport items as a "mule." If a ticketed passenger does not initiate their ticket (i.e. board the plane-- on the first "leg" of their journey,) their bags will be pulled before the plane departs the gate. After that first leg, "your bags are free to move about the country" on their own and seemingly of their own free will!~  :)

Jen (a member of an airline family)

I would absolutely not do it. Not a chance in the world.

Even if it's not a circumstance where there's some sort of financial scam going on, I still see red flags.

Unless you're planning on opening & inspecting the package thoroughly, you could very well be unknowingly transporting drugs or other contraband through customs, etc. Definitely not a position you want to be in!

Then, what if something happens to the "camera" while it's in your possession? Will they expect you to be responsible for replacement should it be lost or damaged along the way?

No. No. No. Just NO.

Or if you want to say it more politely:

"I'm sorry, but due to some personal circumstances I won't be able to do it." If they continued in their request I'd repeat the same thing again. You don't really owe them a reason or an excuse, and an unspecified personal circumstance will probably not be inquired about further.

I would be concerned that something could be put in the camera--drugs, contraband, etc. and that I would be carrying it. Once you are carrying it, you cannot prove that you weren't the one who inserted the stuff if that were to happen. It sounds far-fetched, but stranger things have happened.

Aren't you wondering why she asked *you* and not someone who is traveling in the month of August, at least?  I don't mind carrying things for personal friends and relatives, but for people you don't know I don't think it's worth the risk.

I would absolutely not do it. Not a chance in the world.

Even if it's not a circumstance where there's some sort of financial scam going on, I still see red flags.

Unless you're planning on opening & inspecting the package thoroughly, you could very well be unknowingly transporting drugs or other contraband through customs, etc. Definitely not a position you want to be in!

Then, what if something happens to the "camera" while it's in your possession? Will they expect you to be responsible for replacement should it be lost or damaged along the way?

No. No. No. Just NO.

Or if you want to say it more politely:

"I'm sorry, but due to some personal circumstances I won't be able to do it." If they continued in their request I'd repeat the same thing again. You don't really owe them a reason or an excuse, and an unspecified personal circumstance will probably not be inquired about further.

:iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:

I was in a store once and a woman from a Carribbean Island was at the counter trying to get an order she had placed correct. She was visiting here in NJ but headed home to the Carribbean soon. The store was supposed to mail the item to the place she was staying here in NJ but instead had shipped it to her billing address in the Carribbean. The client was very upset because she said the duty and shipping would cost more than the dress she had purchased. This was just a dress. I can't imagine how expensive it would be for something like a camera.

It may be possible she is simply trying to work around those costs. Maybe she orders different, more expensive things when she has someone coming to stay with her?

Still, I wouldn't do it. You don't know her and she doesn't know you. Would be different if it was a relative or someone you knew well. The possibility of being involved in some sort of scam and the responsibility for the care of the item while in my possession would keep me from doing it.

I know someone living in the dominican republic and from what I gather either having items shipped to some one in Miami and held for them or having someone who is coming on vacation bring it is the norm.  The customs agents who handle items shipped into the country are corrupt and will steal things like that if they are shipped.  If someone brings it in, they can declare it as a gift and it is let through without a problem, or she will go to miami every couple months and gather everything she has ordered online that was being held for her.  The shipping and duty is insane, and then you have to risk never getting your item anyway.  I can see how they think this is a good solution.  But I would certainly clarify with them at the original email especially since they are asking for information they already have, that is what makes me think it is a hacker.

I think she has been hacked. If she has three cottages she rents and has never met you why would she choose to wait until December for her camera to arrive with astranger? Ignore the email. IF she contacts you about it again then worry about how to handle it.

I am sure it is to save on shipping and I would assume they are wanting you to bring it with you when you visit. BUT I think it is unprofessional. I think that is what gives me pause to respond.

This.  I think she wants to get an item from the USA where electronics are way cheaper and as well as save on the shipping and taxes, but I agree that it is very unprofessional. 

Here people often have family and friends bring over electronics, but I wouldn't dream of asking a stranger.

I was thinking exactly of this. There are many ways to scam. This email may not be from the owner.

Here people often have family and friends bring over electronics, but I wouldn't dream of asking a stranger.

We've been asked to bring things, and we've asked others to bring things for us, but it's usually books.  We've brought cell phones for people, and this year dh had a friend who asked for a laptop, but in all of these cases they asked us to purchase for them and they would reimburse us.  It was never that we received a package in the mail that they had sent to us and brought it.

Guest submarines

Having lived in a place where shipping costs were twice the item cost, most of the time, so I can relate to her request (assuming she wasn't hacked.)Some people are just more relaxed about stuff like that. I've asked almost strangers to use their address to ship items to. Almost strangers asked me to do the same for them as well.

I'd ask what she meant. If it is a small, under $200 point and shoot, I wouldn't have any problems with it. If it is an expensive professional camera--no way. If she is okay with me opening it to make sure it is the correct item--sure (I was shipped incorrect items by Amazon twice!). If she is adamant that I can't open the package--no way.

Drugs smuggled into the Caribbean? I thought it was the other way around.

Having lived in a place where shipping costs were twice the item cost, most of the time, so I can relate to her request (assuming she wasn't hacked.)Some people are just more relaxed about stuff like that. I've asked almost strangers to use their address to ship items to. Almost strangers asked me to do the same for them as well.

I'd ask what she meant. If it is a small, under $200 point and shoot, I wouldn't have any problems with it. If it is an expensive professional camera--no way. 

:iagree:  OP, here is how I would handle this: 

First I would ask how much the item costs and ask for a link to the product (e.g. Amazon, B&H, etc.). If it's a fairly inexpensive item, I would offer to purchase it myself and bring it as a gift, with the agreement that she would reciprocate by providing you with gifts of equal value — perhaps paying for your fishing trip, or restaurant meals, or buying a gas card for your rental car, or even a discount off your rent. That way the camera genuinely belongs to you, you know it hasn't been tampered with, and you can honestly answer that no one has given you anything to bring with you.

If she's not willing to do that (e.g. wants to order herself from a site you don't trust), then I would say that I'm not comfortable since I would not want to have to tell airport security that someone else gave me something to carry for them. If the item is more expensive than you're wiling to pay for, then I would just say that I wasn't comfortable carrying such an expensive piece of equipment.

As for those who were wondering why she doesn't ask someone who is coming sooner, the OP said that most of their clients are coming from the UK, where electronics would be much more expensive than in the US. Honestly, I think what she's asking is pretty common in that area, and not likely to be a scam; she probably just sees this as a nice opportunity to get a camera for about a third of what it would cost her to buy it there or have it shipped there — not to mention the risks of having it stolen by Customs.

Jackie