Menu

The Food Police

Really interesting article about Foodie-ism. While my family is making several changes in what we eat, it seems I can never keep up with the Olympic Foodies because I believe it doesn't have to be an all or nothing situation. So I appreciated much of this article.

http://loneprairie.net/diet-coke/

"As IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m standing in the grocery store, I think of some of the poorest people in Nicaragua IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve seen living and scrounging for food near the garbage dump. I get a bit upset at the arrogance that says the strawberries or apples or oranges stacked in heaping piles before me are Ă¢â‚¬Å“not good enoughĂ¢â‚¬ because they are not organic.

I am repulsed by the idolatry that my body is so precious that I must find something more healthy and pure, that these non-organic fruits lack enough nutritional value for the little god that is me. You're not that precious. You can drink Diet Coke if you want to."

Thoughts?

I don't drink diet anything.  I don't drink soft drinks more than maybe once or twice a year, basically when forced to.  I think it is much healthier not to drink sodas and particularly not to drink diet ones  So I drink unsweet iced tea or coffee or milk or juice. However, I don't lecture anyone about this except my own children.   My thoughts are my own and they stay that way (or you get them right here since you asked :lol: ).    But really, I do think it is very rude to lecture or scold people in general.  People don't do this with just food.  If you have a chronic illness, they tend to give you unwanted scolds about how if you only did X you would be cured. 

Fantastic article.  I'm going to print it out to keep.

I've been obsessed with food one time in my life, for a period of several years.  I was a badge carrying member of the Food Police.  I will never, ever go there again.  I refuse to obsess about what or how much I (or my family) eat.  Obsession is not a healthy place to be mentally or emotionally, nor is it IMO ultimately beneficial for physical health.  I will also never again believe it's any of my business what or how much anyone else eats or drinks unless they specifically ask for my opinion.  And even then I would be very careful in what I said.

Moderation in all things is my motto.  That goes counter to our attention deficit, obsessive compulsive culture, but so be it.

My facebook has been overrun, at times, with foodie-ism. This post gives me a nice chuckle.

Favourite quotes:

Turn the TV off, unplug the internet, and shut out the voices convincing you that a world of unimaginable plenty isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t good enough, isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t healthy enough. Eat the food you have in moderation.

ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s easy to decry technology and its evils from your comfortable perch in the midst of it.

FYI: Honeybees were introduced to North America by Europeans, and tomatoes introduced to Europe by explorers. Do you really wish the Italians hadnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t gotten their hands on tomatoes? I love marinara. I love honey. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m glad food hasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t remained locally sourced only.

Out of the fear industry, many things have developed. Like being afraid of our food.

There are two important facts about life:
  • I am going to die.
  • You are going to die.

See I guess I don't agree. When I think of the starving people in other countries, all it does is strengthen my beliefs that we need to be on a whole food, organic and unprocessed diet. If The western world would eat local, or at the very least, natural american made foods (those in america at least), then we would stop putting such a strain on the rest of the world.

Also, I truly believe that diet is a public health concern. If everyone ate a healthy diet (approved by me, lol), the health care costs would go down, healthy foods would be more readily available, and the environment would improve.

Yes I agree, it is a marketing gimmick. I am referring to it in a natural sense of the word. So food from your garden is organic, for example.

Not everyone has local, but most communities can, or could rather. I think if we push for change in our food we will get it. There are a lot of problems and hindrances, but it can happen.

I'm trying this post while driving through Kansas. Fields and fields of wheat and sorghum, all of which are not planted or harvested for human consumption. Hundreds of miles of milo.

local...HAHAHAHA

I know you said local or American made, but really not everyone has "local".

I do agree with the sentiment in general. I really do. Unfortunately, with stuff like "organic" it feels more like a marketing gimmick sometimes. Like the fact they individually wrap organic potatoes. Or slap 10 stickers on organic apples (rendering it anything but). Or that they sell organic chips and cookies and mac and cheese. I'd like to see the changes too, but me spending three times as much for the organic mac and cheese isn't going to change anything (except make me more broke).

As for poor countries, I'm not sure it's all that altruistic to take away their food exports.  I know there are some terrible abuses and try to buy intelligently, but it's good for folks around the world to have jobs.

On the foodie thing - for some people it's a fad, for some it's an obsession.  It can be a legitimate lifestyle, though, to develop the habit of buying only (or mostly) nutritious, responsibly-produced food.  And, the reason I prefer organics isn't so much what organics have in them, but what they do NOT have in them.  I don't think eating toxins makes me a better person.  It's my choice to make.  I don't march or carry a sign, I simply vote with my pocketbook.  If you knew me IRL you'd see that it's not a "better than you" thing.  Less is more, is my motto.

I think in some cases that may be true. But in Bolivia for instance, Americans are basically staving them because of our quinoa imports. It is a very bad situation there.

As for poor countries, I'm not sure it's all that altruistic to take away their food exports. I know there are some terrible abuses and try to buy intelligently, but it's good for folks around the world to have jobs.

On the foodie thing - for some people it's a fad, for some it's an obsession. It can be a legitimate lifestyle, though, to develop the habit of buying only (or mostly) nutritious, responsibly-produced food. And, the reason I prefer organics isn't so much what organics have in them, but what they do NOT have in them. I don't think eating toxins makes me a better person. It's my choice to make. I don't march or carry a sign, I simply vote with my pocketbook. If you knew me IRL you'd see that it's not a "better than you" thing. Less is more, is my motto.

This person is into spiritual, not science and probably hasn't much contact with the elderly. Probably hasn't experienced cancer up close if they are advocating diet soda pop and pesticide laced foods, since we know that robs the body of essential nutrients and can initiate some bad genetic happenings. Does not see life as valuable enough that he needs to do an excellent job of taking care of the body.

Science? Diet soda causes cancer (or am I misunderstanding you)? It and pesticides are messing with your DNA? Citations please. And not Mike Adams.

This person is into spiritual, not science and probably hasn't much contact with the elderly. Probably hasn't experienced cancer up close if they are advocating diet soda pop and pesticide laced foods, since we know that robs the body of essential nutrients and can initiate some bad genetic happenings. Does not see life as valuable enough that he needs to do an excellent job of taking care of the body.

Did you read the article? I only gave a small quote. You need to read the entire article to get a true sense for the point the author is making here.

I can't post links from my phone. But if you do some searching for aspartame, there is quite a bit of research out there. So it's not diet per se, but aspartame that has been heavily linked to some dangerous things. Aspartame poisioning is a pretty interesting thing to research.

I am repulsed by the idolatry that my body is so precious that I must find something more healthy and pure, that these non-organic fruits lack enough nutritional value for the little god that is me. You're not that precious. You can drink Diet Coke if you want to."

I don't consider myself obsessed with foods (I eat as many Doritos as anybody, no diet soda though) but this I really disagree with.  Taking care of your body isn't idolatry.  It's actually honoring the fact that your body was given to you BY GOD (if you believe that) and not making a god of yourself.  If you respect the gift of your body, you will care for it in the best way possible. 

After this blog article went viral last week, the author posted a follow-up. This quote stood out to me:

"As it is, most of the responses IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m finding in this latest round of 2-day popularity donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t address the last section of the original post, in which I suggest that your mental health is as important as your physical health. I might add that you mental health affects your physical health, too, and that excessive anger, fear, and paranoia are doing your body no good, either. But, as is normal for most of us (myself included), we read a popular post, grab our pet concern from it, and run with it (some more coherently than others).I wonder if thereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s any point to discussion, since weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve already made up our minds about things and just knee-jerk react as opposed to using slow consideration."

I think we are often guilty of this on the WTM boards as well, myself included.

You can read the rest here: http://loneprairie.net/viral-blog-post/

Science? Diet soda causes cancer (or am I misunderstanding you)? It and pesticides are messing with your DNA? Citations please. And not Mike Adams.

I'm not the poster you were responding to, but I'm going to jump in anyway. :-)

Based on my research, there is no hard evidence that pesticides cause cancer in the consumer, but there is hard evidence that it causes cancer in farm workers. I grew up on a farm, plus I spent long summer days picking beans and tomatoes on a neighboring crop farm. I have a type of leukemia that has a higher-than-normal correlation with farm workers. The higher correlation is thought to be caused by pesticide exposure.

There are doctors who, based on their studies of the research, believe that cancer rates could be reduced 60% with healthy lifestyles, including eating whole food rather than processed pretend-foods and moderate exercise 3-4 days per week. It's kind of sad that advocating for eating real food and being somewhat active is considered radical by many these days.

Having cancer has seriously made me re-think what I've taught my kids about food and the example I've set for them. It's hard convincing skinny teen-agers that diet and nutrition are important when I haven't set the example for them from the time they were little.

All that said, I'm really working on not being preachy about food to my family, and while I discuss food with my friends (only those who are interested), I'm definitely not telling other people what they ought to do. I do sometimes share healthy recipes or studies on my facebook, but mostly my facebook is light and fun, not a platform for activism. I still take an "all things in moderation" approach, but I think generally as Americans, we're not as moderate as we like to think we are. For example, when I started reading labels, I couldn't believe some of the things that have sugar added to them - lots of things that don't need sugar!

I can't post links from my phone. But if you do some searching for aspartame, there is quite a bit of research out there. So it's not diet per se, but aspartame that has been heavily linked to some dangerous things. Aspartame poisioning is a pretty interesting thing to research.

I've seen some of this research. I'm not impressed with the methodologies of the studies showing links between aspartame and health issues, including cancer.

HH made some pretty definitive comments that to the best of my knowledge are not backed up by credible studies.

Yeah you know what is even more interesting about aspartame...is how it was approved for being safe to sell in the US market.  Too political to talk about here....

I used to go to church with one of the scientists who was involved in the studies of aspartame. She told me soon after it was approved that it shouldn't have been, it was rammed through the FDA procedures based on politics rather than science, it's a neurotoxin, and she won't use it. She said that it's ironic that Sweet and Low is the one that is labeled with a warning, because the cancer-causing agent in that sweetener is benzoil (or something like that) that is used in processing it, but the amount of benzoil used for processing had been decreased to safe levels.

I love my occasional diet soda.

I eat a pretty healthy diet, but I don't burden myself with the goal of making it as perfect as possible as some obligation to a creator God. Likewise, I try to use my time well but sometimes I waste a few hours even knowing my time is finite.

Honestly, I hate being with people who talk about food all the time. I understand that raising chickens, canning fruit, and grinding wheat is satisfying to some women. I find discussing it at endless length, though, incredibly tedious.

I think this is the bad side of being generally thin and fit in middle age. People think you must be as obsessed with food as they are. I am not. I feed my family well - lots of fresh food. But I don't see why when women get together, they have to talk for HOURS about what counts as 'healthy.' It is so painful and annoying. If I order a diet soda, it's because I want one. I don't need to form a committee to discern the merits of a diet coke. I know it isn't a good choice. I don't limit myself to only making perfect choices.

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

eta: Do you watch the Food Network? I reminded of some of the younger chefs competing on Chopped or Next Food Network Star. Sometimes they try to "elevate" something to the point that it is not tasty and/or not recognizable. For example, one recently tried to use creme fraiche as the main component of a dip, which of course wound up being very watery and not dip-ish. Or the guy who put goat cheese in his "elevated potato salad," which ended up being more like chunky mashed potatoes and not potato-salad-ish. 

I don't totally disagree (though I don't like everything in the article) and I am a bit of a foodie. I think that sometimes people let perfect get in the way of good and because they can't make "all the healthy changes" they despair of making any of the healthy changes. I also think that organic is a very privileged problem to have and sometimes means much less than it is marketed to mean. That said I do think that there are a lot of issues with the food choices we make and that people's bodies do deserve better. All I can control is my own choices though so it's not like I get in anyone else's face about what they do.

I like the article. I try to eat basically healthy, but believe in moderation in all things and in accepting what the Lord has provided for us with thanksgiving. Not everybody can afford organic, grass-fed everything. I am aware of all the food info out there, and I choose to do what I can and not worry about the rest. I am not in control anyway. Even if I could do everything perfectly, I still could drop dead tomorrow.

I thought some of that was fine.  I'm not a purist, and I am going to die.

One the reasons I try to buy organic as much as possible is my concern over the poorest people working in those fields sprayed with pesticides. I don't look at the piles of conventional food and think I am too good for it, I look at those piles and worry about the exploited people who pick and pack it, and then can't afford to buy it.

I thought some of that was good. One the reasons I try to buy organic as much as possible is my concern over the poorest people working in those fileds sprayed with pesticides. I don't look at the piles of conventional food and think I am too good for it, I look at those piles and worry about the exploited people who pick and pack it.

This is where I stand. Same for meat from ethically raised animals and seafood from sustainable fisheries. However, I am in a position that the budget isn't strained to the breaking point to do so.

I didn't read the whole article, but this quote caught my attention.  I think we have two possible extremes in this, and both are wrong (addressing the spiritual, not the science here).  I agree that it can be idolatrous to consider the body a god instead of a temple, to be fed/appeased instead of maintained.  The other end is to not be a good steward, to abuse the gift of health/wealth, by not doing the things that are within our power.  Obviously the people who aren't *able* to make the choices that we've learned are beneficial to our bodies can't be held to the same standard.  As in so many things, finding the middle ground is really the goal.

I love my occasional diet soda.

I eat a pretty healthy diet, but I don't burden myself with the goal of making it as perfect as possible as some obligation to a creator God. Likewise, I try to use my time well but sometimes I waste a few hours even knowing my time is finite.

Honestly, I hate being with people who talk about food all the time. I understand that raising chickens, canning fruit, and grinding wheat is satisfying to some women. I find discussing it at endless length, though, incredibly tedious.

I think this is the bad side of being generally thin and fit in middle age. People think you must be as obsessed with food as they are. I am not. I feed my family well - lots of fresh food. But I don't see why when women get together, they have to talk for HOURS about what counts as 'healthy.' It is so painful and annoying. If I order a diet soda, it's because I want one. I don't need to form a committee to discern the merits of a diet coke. I know it isn't a good choice. I don't limit myself to only making perfect choices.

If your diet requires it, great. If you prefer it, fine. If you think itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the only way to go, have at it. But donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t lecture me especially while weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re in the process of eating. I shouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to defend my digestive history. (from the posted article)

Yup. Totally agree. 

I didn't read the whole article, but this quote caught my attention.  I think we have two possible extremes in this, and both are wrong (addressing the spiritual, not the science here).  I agree that it can be idolatrous to consider the body a god instead of a temple, to be fed/appeased instead of maintained.  The other end is to not be a good steward, to abuse the gift of health/wealth, by not doing the things that are within our power.  Obviously the people who aren't *able* to make the choices that we've learned are beneficial to our bodies can't be held to the same standard.  As in so many things, finding the middle ground is really the goal.

It seems like "middle ground" is something totally lost on this board sometimes.  There are a lot of extremists on here.  I personally prefer the middle ground.

I guess my take is that I would prefer an environment with less reliance on pesticide and harmful fertilizers.  I would prefer not to have that in my body, but more importantly, I would like to see less of it in the environment.  I am voting with my pocketbook.  It's not just about cancer, it is about environmental health.  A thriving ecosystem means greater food security in the long run. 

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

eta: Do you watch the Food Network? I reminded of some of the younger chefs competing on Chopped or Next Food Network Star. Sometimes they try to "elevate" something to the point that it is not tasty and/or not recognizable.

This reminds me of that season in Top Chef where they had to make an original ice cream and one of the chefs decided to make avocado ice cream. The judges turned out to be kids at the local pool. And you can imagine, they hated avocado ice cream. The chef was annoyed because "obviously" the kids' palates weren't sophisticated enough to appreciate such a culinary delight. :rolleyes:

This reminds me of that season in Top Chef where they had to make an original ice cream and one of the chefs decided to make avocado ice cream. The judges turned out to be kids at the local pool. And you can imagine, they hated avocado ice cream. The chef was annoyed because "obviously" the kids' palates weren't sophisticated enough to appreciate such a culinary delight. :rolleyes:

Have you ever had avocado ice cream?  With chocolate sauce?  It is awesome.  I had a friend from Brazil who made us a desert with pureed avocados and a scoop of ice cream topped with chocolate liquor and it was delish.  They were surprised that avocados are used in savory dishes here because they had only experienced them in sweet things back home.   

But, kids will be kids.  For the average American kid, if it is green (and not neon lime green) it can't be good!

See I guess I don't agree. When I think of the starving people in other countries, all it does is strengthen my beliefs that we need to be on a whole food, organic and unprocessed diet. If The western world would eat local, or at the very least, natural american made foods (those in america at least), then we would stop putting such a strain on the rest of the world.

Also, I truly believe that diet is a public health concern. If everyone ate a healthy diet (approved by me, lol), the health care costs would go down, healthy foods would be more readily available, and the environment would improve.

I must comment on this. I recently had a conversation with a woman at our community garden. Community gardeners are on the "food police" side of things a bit, and I'm there gardening, but, I'm not interested in what other people choose to eat! Honest!

My comments relate to the above, specifically, "If everyone ate a healthy diet, the health care costs would to down..." While I agree that speaking generally, Americans could certainly stand to eat healthier, the implied message of that sentence is that if you are sick, it's your fault. I just don't agree. In SOOOO many cases, that is not true. And if it were, it still wouldn't be helpful to the sick person to hear that they are the cause of their illness. I truly think human beings are more complicated than that. Even obvious, well-proven links to illness, like smoking and lung disease\cancer, are not predictable. Most smokers do NOT die of lung cancer. There are other factors that we don't control that contribute to our disease risk.

I think we should all do our best to observe good practices of health and exercise, within what we can afford, and mind our own business. And more, not to judge other people's choices in this area.

"Do I think IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m better than those people in poverty, so I deserve optimal Ă¢â‚¬Å“naturalĂ¢â‚¬ food? Or, do I think that everyone deserves it, but because not everyone is in a place to access it, rice and corn mash are good enough for their kids but definitely not mine? When you donate food to the food pantry, do you donate the expensive organic carefully-sourced food that you insist is the only acceptable thing to put in your body and that you feed yourself and your family, or do you get the cheapest canned and boxed food at the store?"

This quote really struck me. I am surrounded by uber-foodies. How I wish I had the guts to ask them this. Maybe the next time one of these people hassle me over what I am eating, I will toss this little gem out.

Well of course not everyone can be helped by diet. However, in my direct experience diet helps immensely. I have two grandfathers, both with diabetes. One eats a healthy diet and has actually been able to stop his medication. The other refuses and has darn near killed himself because of it. He has ended up in the hospital several times...and cannot afford the bills.

My daughter and husband both have autoimmune disorders that have been "cured" by diet.

I do think people who eat poorly and continue to get sick should be held accountable for their diets. Most of the ones I've met flat out refuse the fact that food has anything to do with it.

I think that they, more than anyone, deserve the organic food. Churches by me have their own community gardens that they donate the produce to their food pantry. 

Sadly, I give toilet paper and laundry detergent to my pantry most often. It's that bad. 

Well of course not everyone can be helped by diet. However, in my direct experience diet helps immensely. I have two grandfathers, both with diabetes. One eats a healthy diet and has actually been able to stop his medication. The other refuses and has darn near killed himself because of it. He has ended up in the hospital several times...and cannot afford the bills.

My daughter and husband both have autoimmune disorders that have been "cured" by diet.

I do think people who eat poorly and continue to get sick should be held accountable for their diets. Most of the ones I've met flat out refuse the fact that food has anything to do with it.

Correlation does not imply causation.

I've met dozens, hundreds of people whose Crohn's disease, cancer, rheumatoid arthritis and all kinds of other things were NOT cured or changed in any way by their diets. Because people hear these messages about their diet causing or worsening their sickness, they try all kinds of diets. I totally support this; but it's a bit unfair to blame the sick person when their diet doesn't make them well. There is absolutely no way to know if the change in the diet caused the improved people to get better.

What disease did your family members have?

I've met dozens, hundreds of people whose Crohn's disease, cancer, rheumatoid arthritis and all kinds of other things were NOT cured or changed in any way by their diets. Because people hear these messages about their diet causing or worsening their sickness, they try all kinds of diets. I totally support this; but it's a bit unfair to blame the sick person when their diet doesn't make them well. There is absolutely no way to know if the change in the diet caused the improved people to get better.

I agree. And very healthy people who end up dying. I just read in a book by A.J. Jacobs about his aunt who was an absolute health fanatic her whole life- knew about toxins in carpets, in the air outside, in cleaners, all off the top of her head. Ate all organic, no meat, completely pesticide free, etc. She ended up getting some horribly rare form of cancer and then died when she fell in her bathroom and cracked her head open. Tragic. Horrible.

It's depressing, the whole lot of it. I think being overly obsessed with food is a way people try to feel immortal, or as close to it as they can. None of us wants to get sick or die. I had an eating disorder for 2 years, I've already wasted 2 years of my life being obsessed about food, no thanks. Life is short enough as it is. That doesn't mean I subsist on Cheetos and Mountain Dew, not at all. :) I just don't want to waste any more of my life obsessing about food.

ETA: My MIL has cancer and completely changed her diet over the past 4 months since her last scan- she juices, eats no meat, no dairy, all organic, etc. Her cancer has still spread in the last 4 months since she made these changes. :(

You know, people keep saying that, --that there is no way of knowing if their diet cured them. Until *you* are one of those people. 

Sometimes science has to catch up with what people already are finding out on their own. Science is not a god. It is not all knowing, It took YEARS for science to catch up with vitamin D and the effects on health. Or things like antioxidants. Meanwhile, people who supported those things were mocked. I've seen it happen over and over again. In many ways, science is just catching up. 

That said, some people have no access nor $ for food that might heal them, and that is a travesty. 

I agree. And very healthy people who end up dying. I just read in a book by A.J. Jacobs about his aunt who was an absolute health fanatic her whole life- knew about toxins in carpets, in the air outside, in cleaners, all off the top of her head. Ate all organic, no meat, completely pesticide free, etc. She ended up getting some horribly rare form of cancer and then died when she fell in her bathroom and cracked her head open. Tragic. Horrible.

It's depressing, the whole lot of it. I think being overly obsessed with food is a way people try to feel immortal, or as close to it as they can. None of us wants to get sick or die. I had an eating disorder for 2 years, I've already wasted 2 years of my life being obsessed about food, no thanks. Life is short enough as it is. That doesn't mean I subsist on Cheetos and Mountain Dew, not at all. :) I just don't want to waste any more of my life obsessing about food.

ETA: My MIL has cancer and completely changed her diet over the past 4 months since her last scan- she juices, eats no meat, no dairy, all organic, etc. Her cancer has still spread in the last 4 months since she made these changes. :(

Not liking the food police is where you are, because of your disorder. And that is good, that you are letting go of it all. But that doesn't mean that what the food police are saying isn't true. It just means that the *control* factor for you is too much. 

The thing with the 'food police', though so many don't like them, is that they are for healthy food for everyone. That they want sustainable farming, healthy animals, healthy people who can eat good food without going broke.

That is not some sort of nefarious goal. 

I'm not mocking anyone. The point I'm trying to make is not that diets never work and you shouldn't try them, or that only something that is "scientifically proven" is valid. I'm pointing out that no one knows everything. You should do what you've found has worked for you and for your body. But don't presume to do this for other people.

Not liking the food police is where you are, because of your disorder. And that is good, that you are letting go of it all. But that doesn't mean that what the food police are saying isn't true. It just means that the *control* factor for you is too

Honestly, people can be 'right' about all kinds of things, and it is still obnoxious to brow beat others about it in what should be pleasant social circumstances. The author should be able to order a diet coke without having to deal with comment and criticism.

Being right about diet coke's faults doesn't make it okay to berate a friend about it at lunch. It sounds to me like the author has a reasonably good diet and is healthy. Her friends might be 'right' about the soda. But that doesn't change the fact that they have bad manners. I think we can all concede that diet coke isn't a healthy choice. It's still a valid, legal choice, and most of us don't need help as adults ordering off a menu.

Interesting, and I generally agree with the sentiments in the article. My reason for opting for organic where I can (I don't seek it out specifically) is environmental rather than health related. I try to make good choices, but we are still very relaxed about what we eat. And I do think that coming from a developing country does influence the way I see western obsessions with diet.

I liked some of the article but not all of it. I believe in eating healthy and in moderation. We eat organic, very little meat, no fast food, etc. but that is just what works for us. Not everyone is in the position to afford it or just wants to eat what they want. No matter the reasoning for either way, it should be that person's choice and they should not be criticized for it. Everyone needs stop judging what other people are doing and worry about themselves. It's pretty simple to me.

If The western world would eat local, or at the very least, natural american made foods (those in america at least), then we would stop putting such a strain on the rest of the world.

By "such a strain on the rest of the world," what specifically are you referring to? The US is a net food exporter and is one of the world's biggest food producers.

Honestly I didn't think he was any more respectful or spiritual in his response than those who questioned his coke, tho I completely admit they were wrong to do so.

I think a huge problem Americans never get addressed is many are nutritionally starved just like people in 3rd world countries. Sure they aren't starving. They might even be obese. But they have chronic anemia, vitamin deficiency and a plethora of other diet related illnesses. We eat a lot. We drink a lot. But most of it is empty of value. I don't think a coke is going to matter. For the first time in their lives my kids have freezer pop thingies in our freezer. They can have one after getting out of the pool. I'm banking on it not killing them. But a huge number of our population does not have the occasional coke, it's all they drink. A huge amount of our population goes weeks or months never drinking a glass of water or white milk. And yes, I worry that alifetime of that lifestyle is just as unhealthy as a lifetime of beans and rice.

I do not at all think I'm too good for a russet baked potato.

But I know for a fact that a sweet potato is healthier.

I don't think I'm too good for a Pepsi. I think it tastes like crap and my body does not process the bubbles in a socially acceptable manner. (blush) and I prefer a glass of wine.

I think organic can be a scam, but I also think Monsanto is the fru-it of the debil. I also think chemicals that can kill bugs, or cause them to become infertile, get in water supplies, or literally change genetic makeup of bugs or crops is probably not a great thing to have on a massive scale for human consumption. I can't afford to speak on that with my pocketbook very often, but when I can and I see the benefit of doing so - I do. Because I don't think that's healthy for society. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I'm okay with that too.

I don't believe in buying local only. People forget that 100 years ago, almost all food was local and it meant people died. Food is affected regionally. I'm glad that if Oklahoma were to ever have a Dust bowl again, my kids wouldn't go hungry for lack of food being shipped in from 5 states over. Of course, that's presuming I could afford to buy it given the expected inflation. :/

I think local is good because it diversifies our food supply. It keeps our people from having to depend only on three corporations/regions for our food supplies. But I do not think it is good to have entirely on it's own, because, again, I think people should not put all their eggs in one basket.

My Dh is a foodie. Because the majority of his life food was a painful experience. Prick finger. Take shot. Eat what was served bc he took a shot for it and it's not an option at that point to refuse to eat. We eat very healthy and economicly for what we eat, imnsho, but we also eat wonderful food. He enjoys learning about food and trying new recipes. If we must eat, and we must, and we have the option of making it tasty and an enjoyable experience - then by all means let us do so. Actually the most expensive things we buy aren't groceries. It's oils and spices and herbs.

I think of "Foodie" and "Food Police" as two different things. I think of myself as a foodie because I enjoy a wide range of foods, will try and enjoy almost anything, and I love to cook all sorts of things. Food Policing, on the other hand, seems more about food evangelism and limiting what others eat. "Wheat is bad for ALL!" Forget that . . . I have a sourdough starter living in my fridge like a pet.

Admittedly, I AM concerned about the food supply and get annoyed that THINGS THAT AREN'T FOOD are legally added to it. I shouldn't HAVE to opt out of eating bug spray and fake fillers. I believe that should really be a opt IN situation. I know diet isn't the be all and end all of health, I have a child with muscular dystrophy and diet won't 'fix' him, but I do appreciate being able to control the things I CAN.

You can roll your eyes in annoyance, but the fact remains that there are places where the avocado is treated like the fruit it is and is a common smoothie choice alongside bananas and strawberries. I tried the avocado smoothie at the Pho place and I really liked it. My brain gave me pause for a minute and went "It's an avocado, but it's sweet. I am confused" but I got past it after a few sips. You must admit that the average American kid at the public pool might not have a very well-developed palate. In fact, they should have eliminated the vote of any kid who didn't like avocados . . . because that's just sad and wrong. That avocado ice cream might have been a favorite at another pool in another place.

Honestly, people can be 'right' about all kinds of things, and it is still obnoxious to brow beat others about it in what should be pleasant social circumstances. The author should be able to order a diet coke without having to deal with comment and criticism.

Being right about diet coke's faults doesn't make it okay to berate a friend about it at lunch. It sounds to me like the author has a reasonably good diet and is healthy. Her friends might be 'right' about the soda. But that doesn't change the fact that they have bad manners. I think we can all concede that diet coke isn't a healthy choice. It's still a valid, legal choice, and most of us don't need help as adults ordering off a menu.

I don't disagree. At all. And, actually, I had guests this weekend and though they have irritable bowl, chronic migraines and are all overweight, they wanted Diet Coke and I bought it for them. Their life. And I didn't say a thing. I enjoyed my time with them. 

That still doesn't mean the food police are wrong. 

I emphatically agree with Martha's last post.