Menu

What is your MOST loved curriculum?

Ariston

CLE math

Explode the Code

Teaching Textbooks (I no longer twitch at the thought of high school math!)

A Reason for Handwriting

These are what I have used every year and have not thought of straying from.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a curric, but just reading real books. My dc truly enjoy good literature b/c I've always read aloud well above their "level."

I completely agree. We read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz to our oldest daughter when she was 3. She was hooked from page 2 and begged us to read to her. For the next year we read the remainder of the series, Baum's Oz spin offs and a few of the books by Ruth Plumbly Thompson. 2009-2010 will always be fondly remembered as the Oz years in our house.

We are now firmly embedded in Middle Earth and I can not get over how much both of my girls are enjoying the journey. I never read the Hobbit or LOTR but I love listening to my husband read them to the girls. We have created so many wonderful family memories by just reading great books.

Other curriculum that makes my heart go pitter patter...Singapore math, FIAR and BFSU. All three are a perfect fit for my girls. FIAR has created some wonderful memories for us.

For the next year we read the remainder of the series, Baum's Oz spin offs and a few of the books by Ruth Plumbly Thompson. 2009-2010 will always be fondly remembered as the Oz years in our house.

We had the same time but with other books. We didn't stick with Oz to long. (Just the 4 books twice each). But we lived with Thornton W. Burgess in the Green Forest for a long time. Then recently we spent several months in Droon.

When I started in the mid 90s ...

And before TWTM Guide to American Christian Education was quite popular

We got paper catalogs in the mail, and actually mailed checks by snail mail.

LOL I started about 2003 and the best single source of general information (that I had access to) was:

The Elijah Company catalog! It was from there that I learned about classical education and the WTM!

Then I used the internet and found this forum!

Anyway, my favorites:

Alpha Phonics

First Language Lessons (original 2 text w/o workbooks... works great every time)

Classical Writing

Tools and references: abacus from RS, ABCs and All Their Tricks, Wise Guide to Spelling,

<tempted to add more but keeping it short>

I still miss the Elijah company catalog.

LOL I started about 2003 and the best single source of general information (that I had access to) was:

The Elijah Company catalog! It was from there that I learned about classical education and the WTM!

Then I used the internet and found this forum!

Me too. I still have my Elijah Company catalog. Though I don't use a lot of the materials they sold, I still think their articles at the beginning of the catalog are brilliant for explaining different methodologies to new homeschoolers.

My favorite curricula are...

CLE math (new find this year, wish I had used it from the start)

Story of the World (been using this for over 10 years)

Aplogia Elementary series (been using it almost as long as SOTW)

Analytical Grammar

Well, we are only finishing our third year, but so far my faves are:

Right Start math

WWE

Phonics Pathways

I love SOTW too, but there are many good history curricula that would suit us fine and I am confident in my ability to teach history. I would be totally and completely lost without math and writing curricula. I am thankful that we found good ones early in our homeschooling journey and haven't needed to switch so far.

I have tutored beginning readers and am very comfortable teaching reading and I love PP because it is simple, thorough, has big print and can be done on the sofa!

I forced myself not to read through this thread and be swayed by all those great sounding curriculums. LOL

For us, our most loved are:

AAS,

AAR

These are the only two that we are planning to use for all our kids. Of course, that may change, but these are our go-to programs. As of this year, we also really like BJU English, but I'm not sure it will work for all my kids. My oldest is doing very, very well with it though.

Only considering K-8, here are my top 3 selections over the past 12+ years:

K12 Phonics (All four of my kids have used it. My youngest is finishing up the last unit this week!)

K12 Science (I've never found another solid, secular, elementary science program that works as well for our STEM oriented family.)

Singapore Math

I have a lot of faves. Here are a few:

MY stuff ;-) - like the Awesome History Timeline Schedule, etc.

Singapore math (my most fave math program on the planet)

Miquon (oh how I wish it went on to higher levels)

HWT

Getting Started with Latin

Lingua Latina (love it so much I got MYSELF the new color edition for Christmas)

MCT

MFW- The Lord blessed me by leading me to this program when I didn't have a clue other than knowing we'd do classical education but also wanted a lot of hands on, integrated learning

HWT- does wonders for my dd who needed a multisensory approach to learning and will be great to start with ds who is recognizing letters & numbers but doesn't have the coordination to write them

The library-does that count as curriculum?

So far, although, we've only been homeschooling a year and a half. We are entering our 4th grade year for my oldest and K for my next.

Singapore Primary Mathematics(2/3)

Rightstart Mathematics (K/1)

Story of the World

Rod and Staff for Grammar (years 1&2 FLL)

Writing With Ease

Writing Road to Reading for Spelling

We're almost at the end of our 7th year of homeschooling and I can say that we've had a lot of flops over the years,

My top ones have to be

Barton Reading and Spelling (yes it's expensive, but my 11 year old daughter is finally starting to read well now that we're using this program, I love it so much I'm planning on starting my own tutoring business using it)

All About Spelling (well loved by both myself and my oldest son)

All about Reading (so glad this is finally out, I just wish it had been out when the above daughter was first learning to read)

We're almost at the end of our 7th year of homeschooling and I can say that we've had a lot of flops over the years,

My top ones have to be

Barton Reading and Spelling (yes it's expensive, but my 11 year old daughter is finally starting to read well now that we're using this program, I love it so much I'm planning on starting my own tutoring business using it)

All about Reading (so glad this is finally out, I just wish it had been out when the above daughter was first learning to read)

Dancing Bears Reading was my awesome "teach my dyslexic child to read" program.

I've thought about tutoring too. LOL I've actually had several people ask me....

I have two kids leaving public school a year and a half behind in reading. I have been SO torn between All About Reading and Barton!! Which one do you prefer and why? I REALLY like what I saw in the Barton videos - the rules of spelling. But the "All About..." series seems like maybe they teach the rules too?!

My top ones have to be

We've had several duds or curricula that we just couldn't make work for us but so far out LIKES are:

Sonlight reading list- for 2nd grade

LLATL- yellow

Living Math- not a curriculum but a method

The library

This forum

FIAR

More Starfall.com

No science or history/geography favorites YET,

I will probably think of more tomorrow and have to edit this:

Life of Fred (elementary and advanced)

Singapore Primary Math

Michael Clay Thompson

Meet the Masters

Rod and Staff Grammar

IEW SWI-A

Lively Latin

History Odyssey (Pandia Press)

Writing With Ease

Super Scratch Programming Adventure

Art of Argument

Reading Reflex

Spelling Workout

NOEO Chem

the Brock Magiscope

We are still pretty new at this but I am very thankful for Singapore. Virtually everything about it has been a great fit (mastery with just the right amount of review, conceptual, easy to accelerate). The only thing that drives me batty is all the books but I'm trying to adjust my attitude and be thankful it's so flexible. We can just do the textbook and be okay but there's room for extra practice and challenge when we need it.

We are still pretty new at this but I am very thankful for Singapore. Virtually everything about it has been a great fit (mastery with just the right amount of review, conceptual, easy to accelerate). The only thing that drives me batty is all the books but I'm trying to adjust my attitude and be thankful it's so flexible. We can just do the textbook and be okay but there's room for extra practice and challenge when we need it.

Just a suggestion. Teach the material in the text, and do the problems in there together. Use the workbook, but don't flip back and forth! After you are done teaching, hand out the workbook for independent practice. We know from neuroscience that we actually form new neuronal connections when we learn new things, and these connections get stronger if we see them again soon, but are retracted if we don't. That later independent practice time up to 24 hours later can make a difference in retention.

• 2 weeks later...

SOTW

Singapore

Alphaphonics--I don't love it, but it's gotten the job done for 4 kids, so it's one of only 3 curric that has been consistent since we started.

You guys. Seriously--I read the old '99 ed of WTM, so when I found the forums later (when I was actually ready to start hs'ing, lol), & you guys convinced me to try SOTW & Singapore--well. I think it's safe to say you saved hs'ing for me. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Lyra Color Giants colored pencils. Best. things. ever.

We're Lyra fans, too. My daughter got her first set in 6th grade; it's shown here. She took them to college and is now planning to take them to South Korea where she'll be teaching English to kindergarteners.

The library was essential for us especially as we started homeschooling with absolutely no budget available to us. Thrift store books were a boon to us, too.

I also recommend thinking and learning games such as SET, Quarto, Iota, MindBender logic puzzles, Bananagrams and Quiddler.

Regards,

Kareni