Menu

A movie for 13yo boys?

Laura Corin

Hobbes is almost 13 and wants to invite some friends to stay over to celebrate his birthday. He'd like to watch a film with them, but my mind has gone blank. I'd rather that it didn't have any explicit sex in it (beyond kissing) and not too much swearing, as I don't know what the other parents' attitudes are. He saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off at a similar party recently, so that one is off the list. I was wondering about Beetlejuice.

Any ideas? I don't watch many films.

Thanks

Laura

Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit fit your bill perfectly. No sex, no swearing.

My son also liked Inception, Hunger Games, Star Wars

Those all do sound good, but I'm afraid that the other boys might have seen them, as they have been popular recently (apart from Star Wars - that's a thought).

Laura

13yo boys would probably enjoy beetlejuice. It has it's moments, but it's really weird. (*really* weird. in an almost depressing kind of way.)

free willy.

homeward bound

pirates of the caribean.

secondhand lions

herbie movies (especially the originals from the 60's.)

It's been a few years, but wasn't there a sex scene between someone and a ghost in Ghostbusters?

There was a scene in the October Sky book where Homer loses his virginity in a backseat. I don't remember details from the film but you might want to look into that. I seem to recall some teen boys practicing unlatching a bra.

Secondhand Lions (while I really like the movie) does have a significant amount of swearing in it. I would not be happy if one of my 13 yo's came home from a sleepover having watched it simply because of the language in it.

??? I guess this depends upon what one considers swear words... I googled it and only came up with "d---, pisses off, and crap." To us, only the first would even remotely qualify. To each their own I suppose.

We just saw the more recent version of Spiderman the other night. I think it fits the bill with the lack of swearing.

The same source (Common Sense Media) lists more swearing in the latest Spiderman than it did for Secondhand Lions... it wouldn't be enough to bother our family, but for those more concerned about it...

Apollo 13

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112384/

Iron Will (This would be my top choice for your party!)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110157/

Clockstoppers (sounds a little corny but we really enjoyed this one!)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0157472/

Crocodile Dundee (I can't remember -- might have a brief sex scene??)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090555/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

October Sky the movie does not have a sex scene. However, a drunken father does beat up one of the main character's friends and there is a fair amount of swearing. Good movie, I let my 11 yo watch it, but just FYI...

You really can't go wrong with star wars or the hobbit. Part of the joy is just watching it over and over and over again.

If his are geeky (I mean this in a good way), you could watch vintage Star Trek.

Wait . . . what? I don't remember a suicide scene in Top Gun. A main character dies but it's not suicide. Are you thinking of An Officer and a Gentleman? Or am I just not remembering correctly?

You're right - I was mixing up movies! I'll go back to edit... sorry!

Top Gun definitely has a sex scene!

Oups, I forgot about the sex scene, sorry :(

Come to think of it, it does have booze, smoking etc so maybe not a good suggestion if you are limiting those. Maybe check out what common sense media ( link to what it says about Top Gun) says about any movie you might let him watch, but bear in mind it says Top Gun is ok for age 13, so you still need to use your own judgment and criteria.

Let us know what they watch, and if they enjoy it :)

October Sky the movie does not have a sex scene. However, a drunken father does beat up one of the main character's friends and there is a fair amount of swearing. Good movie, I let my 11 yo watch it, but just FYI...

You really can't go wrong with star wars or the hobbit. Part of the joy is just watching it over and over and over again.

If his are geeky (I mean this in a good way), you could watch vintage Star Trek.

Did October Sky have an implied sex scene? Wasn't there a scene where Homer leaves the dance with Valentine and they wind up in the car? And her original date is outside the vehicle pounding on the windows?

It's been my experience that a group of typical 13 yo guys won't do much movie watching anyway. It will be playing in the background and they'll be engaged in male bonding through video games.

I have to second The Sandlot!! GB loved that movie.

Ones they haven't seen?

The Goonies

Back to the Future - isn't there a scene in that? Not sure.

Holes - we love the movie

The Princess Bride - at that age, they may start quoting. :D

Time Bandits - though the old special effects may throw them off

The Iron Giant

Night at the Museum

I think Back to the Future has a scene where his (young) mom is really coming on to him.

All I recall on The Princess Bride was one comment near the end...something about perfect breasts.

There was a scene in the October Sky book where Homer loses his virginity in a backseat. I don't remember details from the film but you might want to look into that.

disney cleaned it up. they sit in the backseat and look at each other awkwardly.

someone else mentioned the drunk father beating up his son. homer's dad stops the beating, in no-uncertain terms lets the man know it is to NEVER happen again or he'll answer to him; and takes the boy home with him. It's actually a nice moment and one of the reasons homer develops such respect for his father.

Top Gun

sex scenes, profanity, lots of suggestiveness. I would be annoyed if someone showed it to my 13yo boys. I think I'm fairly relaxed.

Apollo 13

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112384/

Crocodile Dundee (I can't remember -- might have a brief sex scene??)

http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_1

dudeling adored apollo 13. one brief shower scene that doesn't show much behind a glass door.

I like crocodile dundee II better. ;p I think the raciest scene is she takes off her bra (while wearing a shirt so nothing is seen) to be used as bait for a (man) trap.

Oups, I forgot about the sex scene, sorry :(

Come to think of it, it does have booze, smoking etc so maybe not a good suggestion if you are limiting those. Maybe check out what common sense media ( link to what it says about Top Gun) says about any movie you might let him watch, but bear in mind it says Top Gun is ok for age 13, so you still need to use your own judgment and criteria.

Let us know what they watch, and if they enjoy it :)

No problems with booze and smoking.

Laura