Menu

Who are your favorite Downton Abbey characters and why?

Michelle My Bell

I love Anna! She is loyal and just a good person. She has the strength to keep hanging in there in any circumstance and deserves all the happiness she gets, IMO! LOL

Mrs. Hughes is a close second favorite...she is practical, kind, and a good foil for Carson's rigidity. She's willing to do things against tradition if they are RIGHT.

I LOVE the Dowager Countess! She is my FAVORITE!

I hate Bates. He has annoyed me since North and South...and Lark Rise to Candleford...

such an annoying guy...how can Anna stand him???

I dislike Matthew a *lot*. But I like that he stands up to stupid Lord Whatshisface.

Daisy is mean to that new girl so I am not liking her right now.

My 2nd favorite is Lady Mary...I am Lady Mary (in my dreams). But I will be

the Dowager Countess when I grow up.

Mrs. Hughes is great but Mrs. Patmore is hilarious!

OK--end of silly post--back to very very serious curriculum and testing matters...

Well, as I said, I'm a Downton Abbey ho. I love all the men!! :001_wub: Especially Branson, Matthew, Lord Grantham, Bates, and I'm sure anyone else who comes along. As for the women, the Dowager Countess, Cora, Isobel, Anna and Sybil are my favorites. And just so that nobody misses it, because that would be criminal: http://www.charlie-gray.com/downton-abbey-gq.htm

Well, I know this isn't a popular view but Lady Mary is my favorite.

She is prickly, snobby, and blunt, but underneath she feels deeply and loves strongly.

There is a lot more to her than the spoiled little rich girl, but I don't think even she knows it yet. Matthew sees it though.

I like her mainly because she reminds me a lot of how I was when I met dh. He helped me stop being such a porcupine and be more soft.

The love of a good man can do great things, as Lady Mary knows.

I love Mrs. Pattmore.

I find Edith hilarious. I loved her in season 2 -- finally she was interesting!

I also like the American grandma.

Too bad Mr Pamuk died. Although he was obviously fairly sleazy, he was somewhat entertaining.

I think I see a theme here...

the Dowager is my favorite, but since having seen the Downton Arby's commercial ( I am still thanking whoever posted that here, we've gotten a lot of milage out of it. Just the other day as I was making a sandwich, my husband walked through the kitchen and I acted like I was going to throw the lunchmeat in front of him. He stopped short thinking I had done it, and then laughed out loud. We are easily amused!) watching Edith gives me the giggles.

I hate Bates. He has annoyed me since North and South...and Lark Rise to Candleford...

Funny, I was recently watching Lark Rise and thought, "Hey! That's Bates!" -- I like him much better in Lark Rise than Downton, and I noticed the bishop or whoever who officiated at Mary's wedding was the main judge in Garrow's Law! For some reason, I was really excited about that.

He does always seem to end up playing characters with strong personalities and convictions! I really like Bates. His character rings truer to me than even some of the bigger players.

You can't beat the Dowager for a good sharp wit.

I like Anna and Bates.

I feel sorry for Edith and was glad to see her start sticking up for herself.

I can't stand Mary, she's a spoiled brat and her air of entitlement grates on me (I know that she's written like that purposely, but it still grates on my nerves)

I also can't stand Thomas, he needed to go a long time ago.

the Dowager is my favorite, but since having seen the Downton Arby's commercial ( I am still thanking whoever posted that here, we've gotten a lot of milage out of it. Just the other day as I was making a sandwich, my husband walked through the kitchen and I acted like I was going to throw the lunchmeat in front of him. He stopped short thinking I had done it, and then laughed out loud. We are easily amused!) watching Edith gives me the giggles.

Link? :)

Lady Grantham (Cora) is by far my favorite. She is so strong, so loyal, so loving. Her words when Lord Grantham revealed he'd lost most of her fortune. "Of course I'm all right. I'm an American, have gun will travel." Such a good sport, with everyone's best interest at heart. The only time I felt she was messed up was when she was encouraging Mary to stay with the shady newspaperman. Lord Grantham came through on that topic!

Well, I know this isn't a popular view but Lady Mary is my favorite.

She is prickly, snobby, and blunt, but underneath she feels deeply and loves strongly.

There is a lot more to her than the spoiled little rich girl, but I don't think even she knows it yet. Matthew sees it though.

I like her mainly because she reminds me a lot of how I was when I met dh. He helped me stop being such a porcupine and be more soft.

The love of a good man can do great things, as Lady Mary knows.

This is exactly why I love Mary! She reminds me so much of the angry person I used to be before my dh, and I love how she is softening as the seasons progress and with the help of Matthew.

I love Matthew because he is beautiful, and he reminds me of my dh. He and Mary together remind me of my early relationship with my husband... corny, yes, but true!

I also love the Dowager Countess, Anna, Bransen, Mrs. Hughes, William, Sybil, and Carson.