Menu

Do I have the only kid who doesn't like Minecraft?

Dmmetler

I'm not against the game, and it seems like all the kids in our local HS group who are close to DD's age love it, and it's a big topic of discussion on her Athena's academy boards-but when I downloaded the lite version for my iPad, DD played with it a bit, and decided she preferred real legos more. She has her websites and activities that she likes, but she's more likely to spend her online time on Neopets, programming scratch, or exceed her score on Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja on the iPad.

I'm starting to feel the same way about Minecraft that I felt when my parents didn't let me see the neat new movie or go to the concert-like there's something special that I'm not allowed to do, and that I'm somehow younger or out of sync, just because all the other parents go back and forth between how worried they are that their kids play so much and how much their kids are learning from the game-but it's not my preventing DD (well, any more than that I don't allow unlimited screen time). It's that she doesn't care for the game!

Hard as it is to believe some days, there are even kids who don't like Legos!

Actually my DD11 is having lots of fun with minecraft, but has no desire to play with other people. She spends most of her time dying her sheep different colors and building fancy sheep and cows houses. I expect her to lose interest in it before too long. She likes her webkinz and my little ponies (eeeek!) better.

My 9 yo played minecraft when his older brother had a server, but now he does not seem interested. I feel a bit frustrated because he wants more online friends, so i keep finding him home-school friendly minecraft servers, and then he wont play. His passion is roblox . . he's been loving that site for 2 years already. I really need to find some other homeschoolers who like roblox.

My kids do not like the app version at all, but both love the PC version. My 8 year old did a brief run with it, but she doesn't care about it like boys seem to. 12 year old goes in and out of it depending who's playing and has a server he can hop on.

Dd has no interest. Now her brother loves it. I think your dd might enjoy the full game more but be warned about the amount of time that they want to spend on it. Ds uses almost all of his screen time on minecraft. That would be fine if he wasn't supposed to be doing a programming class also.

Hard as it is to believe some days, there are even kids who don't like Legos!

Actually my DD11 is having lots of fun with minecraft, but has no desire to play with other people. She spends most of her time dying her sheep different colors and building fancy sheep and cows houses. I expect her to lose interest in it before too long. She likes her webkinz and my little ponies (eeeek!) better.

This is my daughter. She plays on our computer single player and adores building houses and right now she's breeding ocelots! LOL She even made a library and a hotel, and a church for her "town".

I know how you feel about the other parents checking you out. There were movies my kids didn't want to see and I was always accused of being to strict. My children were on a fairly tight schedule as babies, because dd could not cope any other way. lol We all do the best we can.

The mobile version is so different from the PC version. All of my kids love it. The girls tend to play in peaceful mode & build things. My son makes maps. They do multi-player with me because I don't like playing alone. I'm like this guy --> :scared: when I'm in a cave alone.

You do now. ;)

She would spend all day on it if we let her. She has to earn the time.

Awww! She's a cutie! My dd really likes the creative mode the best.

I do know girls that enjoy it. But many of the boys I know want to eat, breathe, and sleep Minecraft. Every conversation veers to Minecraft, etc. It really gets old! :D

Now that I think about it, I don't know any girls that are into it as much as the boys I know in the 7-14 age range.

My 13 year old daughter is very into MC. I'm a bit surprised since she doesn't like any other video games and has never been into Legos. It's great because it has brought her much closer to her 11 year old brother. My husband made then a private server and they play together a lot.

When PachiSusan posted about Minecraft the other day, I thought, "Hmm... what's Minecraft?" (Duh). I actually looked it up, LOL. It seems harmless enough to me, but I just do not "get" the allure of video games. ???

My husband would know what Minecraft is. I'm one of those "out of the loop" types. For some strange reason, pop culture and I never seem to get acquainted -- shrug.

Hubby plays some video games with the girls on his iPad. Again, shrug. I'm not sure what they play, but I don't think it involves killing or blasting anything. I know one thing they "play" is an app (hey, pop culture!) that creates music -- you lay down the track for the percussion, the flute, the strings, and so on, then play your piece. They enjoy that.

I think they play a race game? Again, that's what they do. I am oblivious.

Now I wonder, would they like Minecraft?

Edited to add: Blow me down, I just asked my husband, "Honey, what is Minecraft?" He had no idea.

Pop culture that I know, that he doesn't?

Ds likes to play alone on the xBox. He plays every day, if we're at home. The complexity of the worlds he's built are insane. On the other hand, dd doesn't like to play on the xBox (makes her dizzy), prefers to play on the PC, and really enjoyed the few times she played on a server...but she hasn't asked to play again in 6 months ;).

My 8 year old watched over 100 videos on YouTube before actually playing it. He watched them from April to December last year. We bought him the full game for his birthday at the end of September. In January, 9 months after the start of videos, he now likes to actually play a lot. His spelling has gotten so much better in just a month! I use it for bribery... Yep, I said it... I use bribery to get stuff done.