Menu

Update: Week with Daughter Home went great!

TranquilMind

Some of you will recall the difficulties we have experienced with our oldest, which I attribute in large part to the very undesirable exposure she had in a local downtown classical charter school. Big mistake that has taken us a couple of years to repair. Anyway, I posted recently about her letting some kid color her hair a vivid color, and how I wasn't going to say a WORD when she came home (I had wanted her to wait until Christmas and first round of grading in this school staffed by oldish, conservative teachers). I didn't say a word! I'm proud of myself. She finally asked me, "So what do you think of my hair?" I said, "It's cool."

I stayed calm all week, and while we had a couple of tense moments when she started bossing me around, we got past it. It was the best week we have had in two years. I post this just to say to anyone going through it...there IS HOPE! I don't presume we are done with the problems, though I'm cautiously optimistic that we have moved to a new, more calm and mature phase. We shall see. Someone rejoice with me! :hurray:

I will rejoice with you!!!! :party: This is wonderful. :thumbup:

Thank you! I'm really praying she doesn't fall in with the same types of people at her current school, but at least there aren't quite as many of them. Praying hedges of protection, and that she just does well, gets out and moves on to a good life.

Some of you will recall the difficulties we have experienced with our oldest, which I attribute in large part to the very undesirable exposure she had in a local downtown classical charter school. Big mistake that has taken us a couple of years to repair. Anyway, I posted recently about her letting some kid color her hair a vivid color, and how I wasn't going to say a WORD when she came home (I had wanted her to wait until Christmas and first round of grading in this school staffed by oldish, conservative teachers). I didn't say a word! I'm proud of myself. She finally asked me, "So what do you think of my hair?" I said, "It's cool."

I stayed calm all week, and while we had a couple of tense moments when she started bossing me around, we got past it. It was the best week we have had in two years. I post this just to say to anyone going through it...there IS HOPE! I don't presume we are done with the problems, though I'm cautiously optimistic that we have moved to a new, more calm and mature phase. We shall see. Someone rejoice with me! :hurray:

Awesome news. Good for you for remaining calm cool and collected.

TM, that is *really* good news. Yes, I'm sure you'll still have conflicts down the road... people with strong personalities on both sides can probably not escape that. (I mean that in a good way... I consider myself one of those strong personalities, LOL!) But the fact that you had an enjoyable week together has to lift BOTH your spirits!! :grouphug: Glad it went so well.

Oh, I remember your post! You have some self-control there. I know it's hard and you did it admirably. I need to remember to post issues here once Dd is a teen because she's just the type to do something that will cause me to rant and rave. I'm assuming the general consensus of the Hive was to make it a non-issue, right?

Oh, I remember your post! You have some self-control there. I know it's hard and you did it admirably. I need to remember to post issues here once Dd is a teen because she's just the type to do something that will cause me to rant and rave. I'm assuming the general consensus of the Hive was to make it a non-issue, right?

Right, but it really was never about the hair at all. I don't care if she colors her hair, and indeed, I did it for her last spring (and did a lot better job than this kid did!)

It's really about some longstanding tension that was exacerbated when she got immersed in a social structure with kids who were doing drugs, getting expelled, having sexual activity in the school, and all the other things that never seemed to be real when she was a homeschooler. Rebellion seemed like an interesting experiment then, but I truly pray it was just an experiment that was ending, as she only got around the fringes.

Right, but it really was never about the hair at all. I don't care if she colors her hair, and indeed, I did it for her last spring (and did a lot better job than this kid did!)

It's really about some longstanding tension that was exacerbated when she got immersed in a social structure with kids who were doing drugs, getting expelled, having sexual activity in the school, and all the other things that never seemed to be real when she was a homeschooler. Rebellion seemed like an interesting experiment then, but I truly pray it was just an experiment that is ending, as she only got around the fringes.