Menu

I have no idea what to buy my teenage son for Christmas

Based on Faith Academy

If he is into video games or any other electronics, so many companies will be targeting him this Christmas. Things I have bought before include Halo and other video games, iPod, gift card for an online site or store that he shops in, or a newly minted $100 bill.

I have a thousand ideas for my daughter for Christmas but can't come up with one thing for my son that is under $150. What are you buying your teenage son this year?

I'm in the same boat with DS14. He has most of all the current electronics.

He is getting a new laptop IF I can find a good deal with GREAT tech specs. His is about 5 years old and on it's last leg (monitor part is actually coming OFF the keyboard part!). But that's it. That seems like alot $$$, but I do try to balance out the number of gifts. Younger DS's gift cost ALOT less, so they can get a bigger quantity. That sounds horrible,I know...I promised we are not crazy over-doers, we stay within budget, and this is really the ONLY time of year we buy our children non-necessities besides their birthdays.

So far I am thinking:

-Socks...sounds lame, but apparently he never has enough socks.

-Cologne...maybe hide that boy stink??

-PS3 Network gift card...he can buy things online for his PS3 games

-A few shirts

-PJ's...we live in PJ's at home

-Book...but which????

I usually try to go for a lot of little things. That way I can't go all wrong, and maybe something will make them happy!

-Cool flashlight

-i-tunes card

-gagety tool /knife

-fleece blanket

-outdoor camping gear

-socks (sorry, my kids always get socks)

-clothes

-candy

-some sort of cool desk toy

-board game

-lamp

-gas card

-floor mat for truck

-smelly things for truck

I'll keep thinking....

I tend to buy "experience" things, especially groupon deals. :)

So far I bought my two boys a two-hour Segway tour.

I bought my older one two flights in a nearby jet flight simulator. I bought him the 737 simulator for his birthday last summer and he loved it. He is into all things aviation.

Last year I bought all three kids one-year passes to Knott's Berry Farm (a nearby amusement park).

I also buy Magazine subscriptions. Last year I bought Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, and some car magazine. I can't remember the name of it. I always watch for online deals.

but need more. My Mom and another relative give me 100 each for each 15 year old boy and the same amount for each for their December birthdays, so I need SIX presents in the 100 ball park for each. Of course, they are happy with cash.

One boy needs two tennis racquets.

One wants a North Face jacket, and I may see if I can find a good price on that.

I think both would like an electric throw blanket, since we are always fighting for mine.

I think both could use slippers and robes, but wouldn't be terribly excited.

I thought about getting each a personalized couple of bath towels, since they share.

Stocking stuffers are hard for mine too. Neither one of them eats a lot of candy. I used to just fill those suckers with cheap candy, lol.

If your teen is like mine, he prefers to pick out his own stuff.

gift card to Amazon

gift card to iTunes

gift card to ___ (favorite store)

gift card for gas (assuming he pays his own)

more minutes for his phone (or a phone, if he doesn't have one already)

If you share your ds's interests, maybe we can all give more specific ideas.

I sort of like to let relatives give money or gift cards and me a little, maybe. But on Christmas especially, I think learning to give and receive hand picked presents for the individual is just part of the season, so I don't want Christmas morning to feel like a time to just "cash in" by my older children.

My Mom buys for me. I tell my DH what to buy, though he usually also gets me small things he thinks of. It's always such a pleasure that my sister always buys me some small thing she picked out just for me. My love language isn't really gifts, but I do want my boys to have a sense of Christmas as including thoughtfully picked gifts. You know?

We're trying to keep things simple this year. So far, our list for our 14 year old includes:

- books.

- some personalized craft-y things (Pajamas and a handmade ornament for the tree are traditional, but I have a few other ideas this year, too.)

- more books.

- a wall calendar from Shutterfly with photos of his choir trip to London this past summer.

We often let the stockings get out of hand, but this year I think we've agreed to go with food, silly socks (traditional), a new toothbrush (ditto) and gift cards for iTunes and Barnes and Noble for each kid.

In terms of the "big gift," we're trying to decide between an experience of some kind (tickets to something, for example) and supplies for his costume-making hobby. We're researching both, and will end up going with the approach for which we happen to find something cooler.

Does he camp or backpack? Mountain bike? Into science things? A reader? What's his favorite book or show?

Give us some info on the kid and we'll get to work on cyber shopping!

He doesn't camp. He is into computers and loves to take things apart and put them back together. Also he is very much into music and loves to play his keyboard.

He is into computers and loves to take things apart and put them back together. Also he is very much into music and loves to play his keyboard.

In that case...

computer software

his own set of tools

CDs (or iTunes card... really, they do like to pick out their own music)

new sheet music

accessories for the keyboard

He is into computers and loves to take things apart and put them back together

MAKER Shed has Raspberry Pi kits now. They've previously been really hard to get, so I'm ordering one for DS for Christmas. If you don't know what they are, just google Raspberry Pi. There's also Arduino. Or even a subscription to MAKE magazine!

I bought my 14 yo this Jedi robe, which is beyond awesome. It's HUGE! DH is already jealous! :D They also have a Dr. Who bathrobe. The Jedi robes are cheaper on Amazon, but I figured I'd link to the one on Think Geek because there are so many other cool things on there for teen boys. I generally get most of DS and DH's stocking stuffers from there.

Jackie

I thought of something else, for kids who are into electronics — capacitive gloves (the ones with the metal thread on the fingertips, so you can use your iphone/ipod/whatever without taking your gloves off). I picked up a cheap stretchy pair for 3 bucks at Target today, as a stocking stuffer for DD (she has a Kindle Fire), but they have really nice ones, too, that would be more of a "real" present.

Jackie

It isn't exciting but my kids are all getting rolling carry on size suitcases for Christmas. They are the perfect size for overnights and short trips. We are trying to buy them something each year that has long lasting value.

Another year it was nice sleeping bags.

I feel the same way. My ds doesn't actually care if he gets anything, but dd has dozens of requests (all small). So I'll just :bigear: here and see if I can get some ideas to bring balance to my world.

What is up with teen boys? my ds acts like I am asking an unreasonable question when I ask him what he wants for Christmas. Makes me want to scream. He does this for his birthday too...grrrrr.

For him I got same video games, a remote control helicopter, a catapult kit, and a collection of books he has checked out of the library over and over.

My 16 yo has asked for a new pair of boots, a Carhart jacket, cash and a car. I am considering the boots or the jacket. So far all I have for him is a Mike Rowe t-shirt that he wanted when he went to the Boy Scout Jamboree in 2010, and they sold out of before he could get one. I finally found it online! I might get him some sheepskin slippers (wicked good slippers from Land's End). And he needs a new hoodie.

Stocking stuffers- no idea. Last year I thought I went easy on the candy, but they all said they got too much. So maybe some snacks. Oh, I did get him some angry birds boxer type shorts to sleep in. Those will probably go in his stocking.

eta: and books. I always give books.

Teens can be hard to buy for when they work and buy everything themselves:glare:! What I get my teens is axe set or cologne when they ask for it. Ear buds (they seem to loose them atleast once a year...another:glare:), My oldest works next door to a starbucks so I get him a gift card to there, I pay their cell phone for the month, then usually just candy they like and the old stand by $$. They never ask for anything or need anything. Still makes me sad to not go in the boys aisle at the toy store. I had so much fun shopping for them when they were little guys. I was hoping my soon to be 13 year old would want something hotweels or lego for Christmas but no:confused:

Sorry I am not much help, at all....

Oooh, just had a wonderful idea for someone into computers! What about the Developer program from Apple to develop Apps? I think it's just over $100, you go through tutorials on how to develop Apps, then develop them, and submit to Apple to be sold on iTunes...and then get income (if they are paid Apps)!

I have two teen boys and also don't know what to get them. They just don't want much stuff. Younger son got a Best Buy gift card for his summer birthday and still hasn't used it.

So far I am planning on getting:

ear buds

Yep. That's all I have in mind so far. :)

What kind of books are people getting for their teens? DS loves audio books but I am at a loss for what to get him.

Oooh, just had a wonderful idea for someone into computers! What about the Developer program from Apple to develop Apps? I think it's just over $100, you go through tutorials on how to develop Apps, then develop them, and submit to Apple to be sold on iTunes...and then get income (if they are paid Apps)!

Has anyone done this? It sounds very cool, but I'm wondering if it's something that a young teen could do, or if it's mainly for adults with some level of experience.

Pretty sure anyone who has a interest in computers can do this...I mean, I've read tons of stories about teenagers, even children who have developed Apps and making big $$$. I remember one it was like a 10 year old boy, granted way into computers etc, but he'd made hundreds of thousands on some App he developed.

:iagree:Seconding these!

We each have several buffs (they make kids' sizes, too), and I just bought DH a Polar Buff to go in his stocking this year. They're so useful, you'll wonder what you did without one. I use mine as a beanie a lot, they're great as a liner under a bike or riding helmet when it gets cool, and in the summer you can soak them in water to keep your head & neck cool. They weigh almost nothing and fold up into a tiny thing you can stick in your pocket. Super versatile!

ETA: This video explains some of the different ways you can wear it. IMO, it's a lot easier to understand than the drawings on the Buff website.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

My 13yo ds claims not to want anything, but it's not true - he'd love an ipad or ipad mini, and he'd also like an airsoft rifle and related paraphernalia, a bow for archery, and noise-canceling headphones, in approximately that order. Unfortunately, most of those are budget-busters.

One thing I'm considering? Stock shares in a company. But what company, I do not yet know.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!! So many great ideas. Keep them coming if at all possible. I love the idea of him starting the Apps and submitting them. Plus all the ideas to use as stocking stuffers. I wish he was into books. How can he be my child and not love to read? Haha. Definitely takes after his father in that department.

Thank you all!!

Loving this thread, as I have three teenage boys and not one specific request. We will do ThinkGeek/Dr. Who stuff and I love the App and Buff ideas.

Oh wait! My 16 year old wants a basketball jersey. That's $90 right there. My 19 year old is a college student and we will be spending January term in Hawaii (poor boy). Guess I can get him some summer clothes.

I hate thinking about this stuff!

I tried to "like" everyone's post who made a suggestion and I reached my limit for the day. I didn't even know there was a "like" button until

5 minutes ago, let alone the fact you can only like so many posts in one day. I am sorry for those who I wasn't able to get but I will try to do so on another day. That way you don't think I didn't "like" you on purpose,lol.

Alright I am confused on what is the Raspberry Pi and the other one that was mentioned. Any information would help.

Alright I am confused on what is the Raspberry Pi and the other one that was mentioned. Any information would help.

This blog has the simplest explanation I've seen of the basic differences between Arduino and Raspberry Pi (although there is now an Arduino Due model, which falls more in between the "lighter" Arduino models and the Pi). Basically, Arduino boards are microcontrollers that you can use to make things light up, move, make sound, etc. There are lots and lots of different components you can get for them, and they don't require a lot of programming know-how. OTOH, the Pi is actually a tiny computer running Linux, which you can plug into a keyboard and monitor and program on. Think electronics (Arduino) versus programming (Pi) — that's an oversimplification, but that gives you the gist of it.

The Pi was developed by a couple of guys from Cambridge University, who were dismayed by the lack of real, hands-on, building/hacking/programming experience in incoming Comp Sci students. They set out to design a super cheap, simple micro-computer that any kid could build/use/modify/mess around with, and it's been pretty phenomenally successful (hence the difficulty in finding them in stock anywhere!). Maker Shed and Adafruit sell beginner kits for both Arduino & Pi, but the plain Pi ($40) is out of stock at both places at the moment. MakerShed does have the Pi "Starter Kit" in stock, which includes a lot of additional bits & pieces, for $125. Their Getting Started with Arduino Kit is $65.

BTW, if you liked ThinkGeek, they have free shipping today (Cyber Monday), as well as some cool stuff on sale. :D

Jackie

but need more. My Mom and another relative give me 100 each for each 15 year old boy and the same amount for each for their December birthdays, so I need SIX presents in the 100 ball park for each. Of course, they are happy with cash.

One boy needs two tennis racquets.

One wants a North Face jacket, and I may see if I can find a good price on that.

I think both would like an electric throw blanket, since we are always fighting for mine.

I thought about getting each a personalized couple of bath towels, since they share.

Stocking stuffers are hard for mine too. Neither one of them eats a lot of candy. I used to just fill those suckers with cheap candy, lol.

I like the electric throw idea. My ds is always walking around with my nice, soft, fluffy throw I keep on the couch, now it smells like boy :blink: .

Among the gifts for my boys are memory for computer, iTunes and Amazon gift cards, gas card, US passport, luggage tags, money belt, various books, an electric shaver. Hopefully I can get Red Sox tickets for DS3 and DH.

The sheriff's office has a handgun safety course twice a year, so I am going to call them today to see if I can enroll the kids in that. The class would be a Christmas present for each of them. I just hope it isn't a "bring your own gun" class, because we don't have any guns.

We each put something in everyone's stocking except our own. I'll put an ornament in each of theirs, and DS3 always gets one of those snake can tricks. DH will put in the gold coins chocolate.