Menu

I have no idea what to buy my teenage son for Christmas

Based on Faith Academy

• 2 weeks later...

How much into music is he? One year we gave our son, a guitarist, a beginner-level mandolin, which he really enjoyed. He was also completely surprised. Another "extra" instrument that makes me drool a bit is a cajon: http://www.music123.com/search.jsp?Ntt=cajon

It looks like a box, but has some snares inside it. You sit on it and hit the sides at various points for different drumming effects. Very fun for informal (or not) jam sessions. You can find youtube videos demonstrating it.

What kind of books are people getting for their teens? DS loves audio books but I am at a loss for what to get him.

Our teen enjoyed reading Classic Feynman: All the Adventures of a Curious Character

which is a compilation of two of Richard Feynman's earlier books -- "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" and "What Do You Care What Other People Think?".

The edition I've linked above is wonderful because it includes a CD of Richard Feynman telling some great stories of his time at Los Alamos.

A non-book possibility to consider that my teen loved (and our whole family continues to enjoy) is the music of Tom Lehrer. I suggest An Evening Wasted With Tom Lehrer (This is not for the easily offended even though many of his numbers were first recorded in the fifties and sixties.) You may be most familiar with his songs The Elements (look on Youtube) or Poisoning Pigeons in the Park.

Regards,

Kareni

These have been wonderful ideas... I wonder has anyone ever bought their teenager a small animal for Christmas and if so how did it work out?

I bought DS3 a tarantula for his birthday one year. He was thrilled. It worked out fine, mostly because tarantulas don't require much work or attention.

When we were kids, my mom bought my brother two female gerbils for Christmas. You can guess where that is going... the present multiplied.

I have a thousand ideas for my daughter for Christmas but can't come up with one thing for my son that is under $150. What are you buying your teenage son this year?

Teen years are rough in these technological times. My son wanted an iPod Touch, an Alienware computer and a new router so his gaming would work better.

Only a few thousand...no biggie. Exaggerating only a little. I did manage to snag a gaming computer half off, so that was awesome.

I miss the days when he wanted magnets and toy cars. That was easy.

You could get an iPod that is not a Touch, if he is interested in music. Or a guitar maybe (don't they all want to be in a band at that age?). A game for whatever system he has? A night of paintball with friends?

DS is getting a Styrofoam ice chest and a Rock-It 3.0. This turns any hollow item into a speaker. It is so COOL. I am excited to see their reaction! I got one for all 3 kids actually.

I saw it shown on Shark Tank and DS said I would like one of those. I saw a guy demoing one at the fair. It is so cool.

I found a girl showing it working with different boxes here http://www.origaudio...roduct_id=29778

How much into music is he? One year we gave our son, a guitarist, a beginner-level mandolin, which he really enjoyed. He was also completely surprised. Another "extra" instrument that makes me drool a bit is a cajon: http://www.music123....h.jsp?Ntt=cajon

It looks like a box, but has some snares inside it. You sit on it and hit the sides at various points for different drumming effects. Very fun for informal (or not) jam sessions. You can find youtube videos demonstrating it.

I love these!!! We use them at church.

My ds(19) asked for some good headphones and new wallet. I plan to put gift cards for Starbucks and a couple fast food cards in it for him (he is always asking for lunch money as he leaves for school so the giftcards I know he'll appreciate. My ds (17) I am a little lost, he needs earbuds and is asking for a weight set. I hope something else comes to me. I was thinking movie tickets and maybe sporting goods store gift card. He's asking for workout clothes but he has to try those on.

• 3 weeks later...

So which gifts turned out to be a hit?

My 14-year-old son was very excited to find the new book in the Ranger's Apprentice spin-off series under the tree. He was also very happy with the tub of hobby stuff (duct tape, fabric remants, several pieces of copper sheeting and a hammer, zip ties, various kinds of wire, etc.), which really made his eye sparkle upon opening. However, the things that have gotten the most use thus far are the magic trick card decks he got in his stocking. He's been carrying at least one deck around with him at all times since yesterday morning, chanting "pick a card" nearly constantly to whomever will listen. He was also prompted to dig out a couple of books about magic tricks that had been gathering dust on his shelf and start reading them again.