Menu

Why do people start hoarding water if there's a hurricane?

Is water somehow connected to electricity in way I don't know about? I heard someone mention filling their tub to flush their toilets in case the power went out. I didn't think water systems were typically affected during things like this. Are they? I mean, I get the bread and milk and non-perishable/ready-to-eat foods, but I'm not sure I understand the worry over water.

Can anyone 'splain to me? :bigear:

Yes, if you are on a well, you need electricity to run the pump.

Also, some keep water on hand because occasionally, the water supply is tainted or undrinkable in some way. THey issue a boil water notice--but people can't because there's no electricity. This happened in FL with Andrew, IIRC.

1. Wells run on pumps that run on electricity. Many people still have wells rather than public water.

2. Many systems can be disrupted by flooding during a hurricane, including safe drinking water. Reservoirs and other water systems can become contaminated or pipes can become disturbed during serious flooding, and having safe drinking water available for a few days worth of being stranded is advisable, particularly if you live in a flood-prone area, or an area likely to be affected by downed trees or bridge and road washouts.

3. Water is a life necessity. It is marginally even more necessary for life than food, for the short term. Ensuring your family's access to a safe supply of it is fairly prudent if there is danger that your supply of it could be cut off. Natural disasters can disrupt even public water supplies and flooding can mean that you cannot get out for a few days. If there are certain conditions present, you may have no electricity or dry wood with which to boil water either. Some of us may know how to strain water, but that may not be perfect if it has been contaminated by, say, gasoline or oil spills from nearby cars.

Hopefully that makes sense of things!

NOt just well water. Often municipal water systems need electricity to function. We have had loss of water before in several parts of the country tied to loss of electricity. We have never been on a well system

Oh dear, this never even crossed my mind, but of course that makes total sense. OK, now I'm kind of :lol: at myself here. How disconnected am I from the way our world works? It's not like the water magically appears from our faucets. Thanks!

I never had well water until we moved into our current house 5.5 years ago. The first time our power went out, we were without power for 3 days. On a well. I had no idea that we'd lose our water. And we'd had a gas stove in our last house so it was a shock that we couldn't use our electric stove. We had our grill and that's it. Luckily we had an above ground pool in our backyard that we could haul water from to flush our toilets. But we had to go to the store and buy water for drinking, baby bottles and dish washing.

To flush toilets. We have 10 gallons of non-drinkable water in the basement at all times. We will fill everything we have tomorrow as we're expecting to lose power.

When we lose power for an extended period of time, we have to drive to a natural spring so the farm animals can have water.

Admit you're jealous.:D

We were without water for four days with Andrew. The water we stored wasn't enough but thankfully we had a small above ground pool! We used it to bathe and for toilets. We were able to save the stored water for drinking. I still remember the smell of the water. The sweet gum tree had dropped gum balls and leaves in the water, so my hair smelled like sweet gum.

I never had well water until we moved into our current house 5.5 years ago. The first time our power went out, we were without power for 3 days. On a well. I had no idea that we'd lose our water. And we'd had a gas stove in our last house so it was a shock that we couldn't use our electric stove. We had our grill and that's it. Luckily we had an above ground pool in our backyard that we could haul water from to flush our toilets. But we had to go to the store and buy water for drinking, baby bottles and dish washing.

Eek! We have a gas stove and oven, and they're both so old they don't have the automatic gas cutoff if the electricity goes out. So we're good unless we lose gas, which I think is pretty rare. Right?! :001_huh:

To flush toilets. We have 10 gallons of non-drinkable water in the basement at all times. We will fill everything we have tomorrow as we're expecting to lose power.

When we lose power for an extended period of time, we have to drive to a natural spring so the farm animals can have water.

Admit you're jealous.:D

:lol: Well...a little! I wish we had animals that I had to worry about!

We have an aboveground pool, so we definitely have plenty of non-potable water for flushing if we should need it. During Irene, I started walking around filling the tub and sinks. Then I thought harder about it and stopped!

Ok, I understand wTer, but why is all the milk and bread wiped put? If I still drank milk, I would be drinking ours down in orep for a power outage, NOT going out to buy more! I guess bread is for pb&j?

Well, for us, they're part of the ready-to-eat food. PB&J sandwiches, toast, milk for cereal, milk to drink, etc. I have one in the fridge and two in our chest freezer. I can thaw the frozen ones slowly if we need them, and they'll last a day or two at least, even if the freezers are thawing. I'm not particularly worried about getting sick from pasteurized milk.

We have our flush water (well), drinking and brushing water, washing (sharp knives, etc.) water, pet water, drinking water, and frozen water for keeping food cool and drinking later. For 2 adults, 4 kids (1 in diapers), 2 large dogs and 2 cats.

We have a lake a mile down the road to restock flush water, but dh is paranoid that it will screw up our septic balance. @@

Edited by Carrie1234
fat fingers

Eek! We have a gas stove and oven, and they're both so old they don't have the automatic gas cutoff if the electricity goes out. So we're good unless we lose gas, which I think is pretty rare. Right?! :001_huh:

:lol: Well...a little! I wish we had animals that I had to worry about!

We have an aboveground pool, so we definitely have plenty of non-potable water for flushing if we should need it. During Irene, I started walking around filling the tub and sinks. Then I thought harder about it and stopped!

Well, for us, they're part of the ready-to-eat food. PB&J sandwiches, toast, milk for cereal, milk to drink, etc. I have one in the fridge and two in our chest freezer. I can thaw the frozen ones slowly if we need them, and they'll last a day or two at least, even if the freezers are thawing. I'm not particularly worried about getting sick from pasteurized milk.

And if there is a problem with supply, it maybe a week or more before there is another delivery of milk and bread and other groceries. I've been in a hurricane area that was without power and cutoff from deliveries for more than a week.

Ok, I understand wTer, but why is all the milk and bread wiped put? If I still drank milk, I would be drinking ours down in orep for a power outage, NOT going out to buy more! I guess bread is for pb&j?

:iagree: I never understood why people buy milk, frozen goods, or any refrigerated items when they are expecting to loose power...Seems like you would just loose more money when the stuff goes bad...

Our well has an electric pump. If the power goes out, we don't have water. People fill their tubs with water so they can use it to flush the toilets.

Our freezer is chock full, and the food in it will be good for 48 hours if we don't open the door. I've got half a steer in there, and I hope we don't lose power for longer than that.

When my oldest was a toddler, we were affected by hurricane damage via our city sewer/water system. We lost water and power for about 6 days, although my mother, who lived in the same city, got her electricity back sooner, and never lost her water. We showered at her place.

I remember well, so did fill a few containers from our faucets. We have animals, so we've water in the barn as well, in case. I didn't go to the market for it, and we won't waste water, even if we end up not needing it (please) in the next couple of days.

We are on propane, so we're ok there.

Edited by LibraryLover

They are buying what they would have bought later in the week as they anticipate needing it and don't want to go out to the store during the height of the wind/water. Many use a generator to keep the fridge and freezer operating, as well as the sump pump.

Yep, that too. I bought yogurt and some other refrigerated things, because they're ready-to-eat foods we'll use up quickly along with other food we have in the house if the power goes out. We'll use up the frozen fruit we have in the freezer eating plenty of yogurt and granola for a day or two!

:iagree: I never understood why people buy milk, frozen goods, or any refrigerated items when they are expecting to loose power...Seems like you would just loose more money when the stuff goes bad...

We have generators and keep the freezers and fridge cold. I had a lady ask me before the hurricane why I was buying cold cuts, milk, etc. I felt really overly entitled when I told her "whole house generator". It doesn't matter to us. Even without a generator, we'd do the same thing because if you keep it closed freezers and fridges are good for a couple of days, especially those ancient ones that aren't frost free.

We need drinking water because we're on a well and it takes a LOT of power to run it. We have to turn everything else off just about to run it. We can, but it is cheaper to just buy water than to run the gennie for water and lights only.

We have generators and keep the freezers and fridge cold. I had a lady ask me before the hurricane why I was buying cold cuts, milk, etc. I felt really overly entitled when I told her "whole house generator". It doesn't matter to us. Even without a generator, we'd do the same thing because if you keep it closed freezers and fridges are good for a couple of days, especially those ancient ones that aren't frost free.

We need drinking water because we're on a well and it takes a LOT of power to run it. We have to turn everything else off just about to run it. We can, but it is cheaper to just buy water than to run the gennie for water and lights only.

LOL I am laughing at 'frost free'. I don't even want to say how old our freezer is. (Our fridge *is* energy efficient, I promise!) . I didn't go shopping (except at the farmers' market for veggies, grass fed milk & beef-- which I would buy on a weekend, anyway) because I've been preserving garden produce, and we 'processed' our meat birds recently. Some of us lose power in a hiccup. We have a generator. It would be difficult to lose what I've grown. :(

Edited by LibraryLover

Some high-rise buildings require electricity to pump the water to the upper floors. Most have a generator for the water and emergency lights, though.

The Whole Foods Market that makes it's business from all of us high-risers told us we didn't need the water, but it's there is we want it. They said we just are not going to want to come out in the rain, and to get what we need now, if we want to stay dry tomorrow. We are uniquely safe from discomfort where I am.

Some people have generators, but yes, you're right, if you don't have a generator, and if it's not going to be cold enough outside to store it there, it's not wise to invest in cold-storage items.

I didn't read other posts, but on a whim, right before Hurricane Andrew hit Louisiana, my mom filled up every bowl in our house, pots and pans, buckets, sinks and tubs with water. Thank goodness she did...we lived off of that water, bathed with it, cooked with it, for 6 weeks. Our water system (city water) was down for 4 weeks then we had 2 more that we couldn't do anything but bathe in it because it was contaminated. Now, for hurricanes, I hoard water.

I wasn't too worried last time we lost power (and, consequently, our well water) because there'd been a big snowstorm. I'd just use melted snow! Clever me!

Did not occur to me that snow melts very, very slowly when the house is about 40 degrees. And a huge bucketful of snow, heated on the woodstove, yields about a cup and a half of liquid water. And takes over an hour.

And dumping clumps of sticky snow into the toilet tank, figuring it will melt so you can flush? Not a good plan. At all.

I now have lots and lots of water in my garage. :)

We have our flush water (well), drinking and brushing water, washing (sharp knives, etc.) water, pet water, drinking water, and frozen water for keeping food cool and drinking later. For 2 adults, 4 kids (1 in diapers), 2 large dogs and 2 cats.

We have a lake a mile down the road to restock flush water, but dh is paranoid that it will screw up our septic balance. @@

tell your dh that lake water has never hurt our septic system - we keep a monthly enzyme treatment also

we live on a lake with well water and my kids hate the 5 gallon bucket trips to flush when the well acts up or the power goes out:D

we keep milk jugs for cooking, cooking, sponge bath in case of well or electrical difficulties

You do not want to know how many times the well messed up - it was struck by lighting on easter weekend when I had 5 additional folks staying with me - they got a education on how people lived before running water :lol:

my nephew still text me with jokes about the 5 gallon buckets for each bathroom

my dh is considering running a second system with the old fashion hand pump for when the electrical system is down

LOL I am laughing at 'frost free'. I don't even want to say how old our freezer is. (Our fridge *is* energy efficient, I promise!) . I didn't go shopping (except at the famers' market for veggies, grass fed milk & beef-- which I would buy on a weeked, anyway) because I've been preserving garden produce, and we 'processed' our meat birds recently. Some of us loose power in a hiccup. We have a generator. It would be difficult to lose what I've grown. :(

I lose power in a hiccup, too, and live rurally enough that I'm usually out for the week in the event of a major storm. I couldn't imagine being in the position of losing your meat birds to a storm outage.

We have two 55 gallon barrels of water stored in our basement in case of an emergency. We live in earthquake country. There is absolutely no guarantee that your city water will still be working in the event of an emergency, and safe, clean water may be hard or impossible to come by. Emergency aid services typically take 72 hours to get organized and start getting help to people after a natural disaster. If you don't have enough water to get your family through that time period...you could be in a world of hurt.

The other thing with food is that even if you don't live in the affected area your lines of distribution may be affected. We saw that in a couple of hurricanes.

We still have power, thus have refrigeration.

However, as of 5am, there is a driving ban in effect for who knows how long? Therefore, no grocery runs to get milk. If the storm does tremendous damage to roads and bridges, getting new supplies to stores could be a problem.

Sometimes, I think people take the availability of food in our country for granted-- it just seems to automagically appear on store shelves :). But from farmer to processor to store to having money and transportation to buy it, there are many things that can potentially break down.

I had my husband get three gallons of milk because one of my sons needs his own cow and because I knew getting to the store would be hard. We have a small generator to run the refrigerator. I figured in two power outages, I break even with what I would have to throw out, and ice is such a pain to manage.

Bread for sandwiches.

I lose power in a hiccup, too, and live rurally enough that I'm usually out for the week in the event of a major storm. I couldn't imagine being in the position of losing your meat birds to a storm outage.

Thank you. I thoughtfully raised & cared for them. I would not want them to die for nothing.

PS loose lose loss lol I should proofread. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Please don't confuse hoarding with stocking up on something. Hoarding involves obtaining more than you or your family can possibly use, particularly if you can keep others from getting it first, and often letting it go to waste. It is sometimes done with an eye to future price gouging when the immediate danger has passed. Stocking up is a very wise method of gathering things you know your family will need, based on knowledge of amounts needed and future availability. One is selfish, the other is stewardship. Big difference.

The vast majority of grocery stores these days practice something called Just In Time inventory. They usually have enough food on hand to supply the normal volume of purchase by customers for only 3 days. This prevents them from having so much capital tied up in inventory and decreases inventory lost to spoilage.

However, in a disaster situation, roads are frequently blocked by downed power lines or trees, or in some cases missing altogether. Or weather conditions are such that over-road travel is impossible for more than 3 days. Or more than the normal daily volume of customers come seeking to purchase certain items. So even after the immediate weather problem has passed, it can still take many days or weeks until shelves get resupplied.

As others have mentioned, if your house's water supply is dependent upon electricity, that can certainly be a problem if the power fails. Also, municipal water lines can be compromised if flooding errodes ground away and causes breaks or breaches that allow contaminated water to enter the lines. (It's usually still fine for flushing, but probably not for bathing or drinking.) Occasionally disasterous weather or power outages can cause pumping stations to fail and city water just gets turned off for a time.

In my mind, a wise person knows what their family needs to be safe and comfortable, knows how much of that they need for a certain period of time, realizes that something like Hurricane Sandy can disrupt supply lines, and therefore, stocks up so that their family will not have to do without. Water is one of the most critical human needs. We can go a long time without food, even longer (and it feels like forever) without luxuries like chocolate, but we can go only a few days without water and it is agonizing.

The FEMA recommendation for water is 1 gallon per person per day. That doesn't include flushing toilets or washing anything. There are many neat ways of stocking up on water. One, for example, is a plastic bladder that goes into your bathtub. You fill it up prior to the emergency and then have many gallons of clean drinking water available. (If you are already deep into the storm and unable to get out, but still have running water, you can use plastic trash bags for this to keep flushing water near the toilet. Use food-grade plastics to hold drinking water. You can fill every vessel in your home and then later use the water for flushing if you don't need it to drink - it doesn't have to be wasted.)

Edited by hillfarm

We're not on well water but our water runs brown when there is local road construction or a big storm. It also ran brown for a few days after 9/11 (we're 2 miles from the former TC). So I always try to have on hand at least 2 gallons water + one case water bottles, plus I fill up the tub before tropical storm or hurricane. I believe sewage can get into the water lines during a really bad storm but I'm not 100% certain. And it can definitely back up into basements and up toilets :ack2:.

That word hoarding bothered me too.

I have one of the bladders for the bathtub that I got free w/a water filter. They are a one time use because you can't drain them and get all the water out to safely store. I was bummed about that. I don't know that I'll ever break down and use it.

I have heard of people using the blowers that fill air mattresses to blow out/dry the excess water remaining in the water bladders for storage and reuse.

We're not on well water but our water runs brown when there is local road construction or a big storm. It also ran brown for a few days after 9/11 (we're 2 miles from the former TC). So I always try to have on hand at least 2 gallons water + one case water bottles, plus I fill up the tub before tropical storm or hurricane. I believe sewage can get into the water lines during a really bad storm but I'm not 100% certain. And it can definitely back up into basements and up toilets :ack2:.
Here in earthquake country, the emergency preparation experts say DO NOT FLUSH your toilets if the water or sewer lines get damaged, because as long as you do not flush, the traps between your house and the city line will keep everybody else's business/contamination from backing up into your home. Instead of storing "flushing" water, they recommend a portable toilet and plenty of plastic bags for taking care of your family's needs.