Menu

When do boys' feet stop growing?

My oldest is 10. He is wearing my husband's old shoes, a men's size 10. Isn't that a little ridiculous? I don't think he is particularly tall for his age. He is 4'11" and is turning 11 in January.

Is the rest of him going to catch up with his feet? It's getting expensive to keep shoes on him and they still seem to be growing pretty quickly.

I can top that. My 12 year old is now in men's size 15. But he is also taller, around 5ft8. I don't know when the feet stop growing, but some men don't stop growing in stature until they are around 20. I hope my son's feet stop growing before we have to have them special made.

My oldest is 10. He is wearing my husband's old shoes, a men's size 10. Isn't that a little ridiculous?

:lol:I used to tell my son the objective was not to keep his shoe size the same as his age. :lol: I guess he believed me because his feet stopped at 14 and he is 16

Last October I bought my 13 year old a size 9 men's, in April of this year I bought him (now 14 year old) a size 11 men. In August of this year I bought him size 13 in men's I normally only buy my kids one pair of tennis shoes a year and I had to buy him 3 in 10 months because his feet were so cramped. He has also grown 8 inches in the last 8 months.

My 12 year old wears a size 9 mens and he hasn't even started the puberty growth spurt yet that his brother is on.

Honestly I'd be surprised if your son is done changing shoe sizes. He seems pretty young to have finished that stage.

If it makes you feel any better, my sons feet grew in leaps and bounds when he was around 12. He was about five feet tall wearing a size 11. He looked so out of proportion. There was no way we could put white sneakers on him because it just looked ridiculous! He is now 16 and wearing size 12's but he is about 5'8" and I think he still has a couple more inches to go. His feet are finally starting to look in proportion with his body and he is not tripping over himself as often.:lol: I hope his feet stop where they are because it is a struggle in my neck of the woods to find shoes beyond size 12.

Around 17yo? I'm hoping ds1's feet are done growing. He's in an 11.5 now. He did have great growth spurts though and his feet always seemed to grow first. I was the same way. He's 6' 1" now and has been there for about a year now. Still wondering if he'll grow some more in the next couple years.

Ds2 has slow-growing feet; they just manage to keep up with his body. He also doesn't have big growth spurts. He's 5' 11" now and is only in a 9. He wore 8.5 for nearly 2 years!

So sorry for those of you whose ds's wear 15's! My brother wears a 15 and my mom used to complain about how the cheap shoes were $150. (He was a basketball player in high school.) I bet she's glad he's buying his own shoes now. :D

This is a philosophical debate that has raged since Socrates. There are those that insist they do eventually stop growing and then there are the mothers. I'm a mother and therefore I fear they will.never.stop!

Middle ds was a youth size 6 in May, 2012. He is now a man's size 9. It would be nice if he was going to grow a foot size per month, if those shoes could at least be handed down to his younger brother who is a youth size 6 now. However, middle ds, believing the shoe money grows on the sugar maple tree in our side yard, destroys shoes as fast as we buy them. They are virtually unrecognizable after a month. The poor youngest child has been raised almost exclusively on hand-me-downs. It's so bad that at times I've wondered if he won't hate us for making him look like a walking refuge camp - the hand-me down shoes being the absolute worst! Sunday is the only day he has nice clothes. So, I recently bought him two pairs of new pants, a nice pair of loafers, some new socks, and two new shirts. The boy acted like he'd died and gone to heaven. :lol:

I don't know the answer. Someone tried to tell me once that when it comes to clothes, girls are far more expensive than boys. I don't buy it! DD never cost what these weeds, uhem, I mean BOYS have cost us.

I keep hoping that they'll level off at 9.5. Dh is a 9.5, my brother and dad are 9.5's and dh's dad was too. However, dh's brother is a 12 (GACK) and his uncles were both 14's :willy_nilly:. I can't even buy 14's within a one hour drive of my house. Even the closest JcPenney's (55 minutes away) only carries to a 13. :svengo:

Faith

Ds wears a 9, same size as my dad and dh (9 1/2). He reached that about age 14. He's not tall, 5' 6", and has averaged on the lower end of the height/weight scale most of his life.

It seems about 11-12 he went up several sizes very quickly. It's leveled out now and he's worn the same shoes for about 6 months. I don't know that he's done yet though.

For him the shoe size increased before the height.

After a size 13, you're really better off buying online. My ds is a size 15 or 16 depending on the shoe. We've been buying at zappos .com or bigshoes .com since he was about 13. Sometime in highschool his feet quit growing then slowed he down growing too. I think he's only grown an inch since he went to college. He stopped at 6'5 1/2". He can't even buy socks in most stores in the US. He wouldn't even try to buy any in Japan.

My ds is 16 and in a size 14. We just bought him two pair and he's telling me they are getting tight. :glare:

Around 17yo? I'm hoping ds1's feet are done growing. He's in an 11.5 now. He did have great growth spurts though and his feet always seemed to grow first. I was the same way. He's 6' 1" now and has been there for about a year now. Still wondering if he'll grow some more in the next couple years.

Ds2 has slow-growing feet; they just manage to keep up with his body. He also doesn't have big growth spurts. He's 5' 11" now and is only in a 9. He wore 8.5 for nearly 2 years!

So sorry for those of you whose ds's wear 15's! My brother wears a 15 and my mom used to complain about how the cheap shoes were $150. (He was a basketball player in high school.) I bet she's glad he's buying his own shoes now. :D

:001_huh:No, no, nonononono!!!! Ds is done, I'm telling you! I refuse to listen...I plug my ears. He is finished. It is over. :lol::lol::lol:

After a size 13, you're really better off buying online. My ds is a size 15 or 16 depending on the shoe. We've been buying at zappos .com or bigshoes .com since he was about 13. Sometime in highschool his feet quit growing then slowed he down growing too. I think he's only grown an inch since he went to college. He stopped at 6'5 1/2". He can't even buy socks in most stores in the US. He wouldn't even try to buy any in Japan.

:svengo::blink::eek::ack2:

Please not my ds, please not my ds, please not my ds........

:D Faith

My son was outgrowing his shoes every 3 months for several years. Plus he needs an extra wide shoe. Thankfully we have been in the same sneakers for almost 5 months. Keeping my fingers crossed.

He is 5'9 and a a size 11, but only 13 years old. His growth slow down seems to have occurred the same time as his foot slow down. I am certain it is not permanent but I am enjoying the break.

This is some info I've been needing. Ds 16 has slowed down or hopefully stopped at size 12. He's 6'. Ds 14 is in a 14-15 wide and I'm nervous he's still growing. He's only 5'10" right now. I had to special order barn boots for him this fall. His current shoes are the only ones we could find. I'm buying socks online for him.:tongue_smilie:

About the time they're responsible for buying their own. :glare:

So, whatever age they move out :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously I have been asking this to RL friends. The answer seems to be around 20. So I think Imp is right!

On a side note, it felt very strange to take hand me down socks from my son. They're plain white athletic socks that he barely wore, so now they're mine. *sniff*

:iagree:

I inherited a pair of barely worn sneakers from GW. While I'm glad they won't go to waste, it's disconcerting to realize how big he's getting.

:iagree:

I inherited a pair of barely worn sneakers from GW. While I'm glad they won't go to waste, it's disconcerting to realize how big he's getting.

I am the proud owner of a nice pair of hiking books. I was sure his foot was large enough, nope, grew within a couple of months of purchase. I find I like the extra width in the toe! :D

This is a philosophical debate that has raged since Socrates. There are those that insist they do eventually stop growing and then there are the mothers. I'm a mother and therefore I fear they will.never.stop!

Middle ds was a youth size 6 in May, 2012. He is now a man's size 9. It would be nice if he was going to grow a foot size per month, if those shoes could at least be handed down to his younger brother who is a youth size 6 now. However, middle ds, believing the shoe money grows on the sugar maple tree in our side yard, destroys shoes as fast as we buy them. They are virtually unrecognizable after a month. The poor youngest child has been raised almost exclusively on hand-me-downs. It's so bad that at times I've wondered if he won't hate us for making him look like a walking refuge camp - the hand-me down shoes being the absolute worst! Sunday is the only day he has nice clothes. So, I recently bought him two pairs of new pants, a nice pair of loafers, some new socks, and two new shirts. The boy acted like he'd died and gone to heaven. :lol:

I don't know the answer. Someone tried to tell me once that when it comes to clothes, girls are far more expensive than boys. I don't buy it! DD never cost what these weeds, uhem, I mean BOYS have cost us.

I keep hoping that they'll level off at 9.5. Dh is a 9.5, my brother and dad are 9.5's and dh's dad was too. However, dh's brother is a 12 (GACK) and his uncles were both 14's :willy_nilly:. I can't even buy 14's within a one hour drive of my house. Even the closest JcPenney's (55 minutes away) only carries to a 13. :svengo:

Faith

Take heart! A youth size 6 is a men's size 8, so only one size in 3 months. By this time next year he might be a 12 instead of a 21. :lol:

My oldest is 10. He is wearing ... a men's size 10. Isn't that a little ridiculous? I don't think he is particularly tall for his age. He is 4'11" and is turning 11 in January.

This is my son exactly, except he turns 11 in December. We bought the 10's in August, though, for baseball. Hoping they last the rest of the fall season - just another month, come on, hold out! lol

On that note, though - if you're looking for sports shoes, I highly recommend Play it Again Sports. Since boys grow so fast, many of the shoes look nearly new, and they're only $6 dollars or so here, PLUS you get a credit ($2, maybe?) for bringing in your outgrown pair. I can't find a deal to beat that one.

When we picked up the ballet shoes I had to special order from the dance store, the lovely woman behind the counter told me my son probably has at least another year of foot growth before he's done. He will be 15 in March.

He's tall, too, though. So, the big feet make a certain amount of sense to me. Last time I checked (and it could have changed since then), he was almost 5'11" and wearing a size 11 shoe.

The dance store lady was bugging me about buying him cheap tap shoes. We're vegans and don't wear leather. So, I've been buying the "economy" shoe for him. I told her, at the rate his feet grow, I can't afford to do anything fancy just yet. Once his feet stop growing, I'll be happy to order custom made shoes for him. But, since it'll require the equivalent of a car payment for that, I'll hold off until I know he'll be able to wear them for more than a few months.

• 10 months later...

Bumping this almost a year later to see if anyone else had their child grow 3 sizes this past year and have their child's shoe size exceed their age. I had to order DS new speed skates. I just hope he either grows more before they arrive so I can return them unused for the next size up or he stops the foot growth for a few months to get some use out of the skates. At least his foot is large enough that I can resell to the adults and teens but not for what I paid for them.

My oldest is 10. He is wearing my husband's old shoes, a men's size 10. Isn't that a little ridiculous? I don't think he is particularly tall for his age. He is 4'11" and is turning 11 in January.

Is the rest of him going to catch up with his feet? It's getting expensive to keep shoes on him and they still seem to be growing pretty quickly.

Age 18 or 20?

Let's hope he's just getting a jump on things and isn't going to end up in a size 24 that he will have to have custom-made!