Menu

What does your family do for P.E?

bttrflyvld

Looking for future ideas.

Right now I have my daughters in a once a week dance class. It's been a fun way to keep them active. Having gone to public school myself and know how much P.E. we did, I've been wondering if I need to plan to do anything with my kids more along the lines of P.E. I'm thinking mostly to keep them active. What do you do? Are there any great homeschool P.E. Books? I've looked but can't find any. Or any fun videos that you and your kids have loved to do together (talking yoga, aerobics type videos). Any ideas?

Before we were a swim team family my kids loved to use the wii fit. They also talk a homeschool gym class 1x per week at our local y. It was a great class. The gym teacher did a great job of teaching basic sports rules for hockey, basketball, tennis, etc. and a mix of athletic challenges-scooterboard races, obstacle courses, agility races, etc.

My oldest plays hockey. Middle son is between sports right now.

As far as keeping active, I chuck them outside for hours each day. They're getting more exercise than they would get in PE. ;)

We also go to a playground once a week and practice things like monkey bars and all that.

We tried a local PE class for homeschoolers, but didn't like it. I have friends in a different town who loves theirs, though.

Depending on schedules, seasons, etc. dd(11) does a mix of running, biking, swimming, BJJ, horse riding, yoga, aerobics, lifting, and playing outside. There are probably more, but that's all I can think of right now.

PE is one subject I don't have to worry about. Each of my older boys gets at least 10 hours of physical activity per week through their extracurriculars (between them, they do dance, gymnastics, hockey, baseball, basketball, tennis and swimming lessons). They also play hockey or basketball in the driveway every single afternoon and sometimes all weekend. Ds4 is getting two hours of skating, one hour of dance and a 30 minute swimming lesson per week.

I haven't worried about PE. My kids play outside almost daily for hours, they run around with other children at park day, we hike regularly, they ride bikes, we swim regularly in the summer, my dd takes a dance class, both kids enjoy ice skating lessons in the winter, etc. They're active enough in our normal day to day lives that I just haven't felt the need to add in anything extra.

The girls have been bike riding as much as possible and I count that as PE. The weather is turning cold so we are going as often as possible!

We also do the usual things like playgrounds and outside play. Once the winter comes, they will go outside still but just not as often. We've done so much PE in the nicer weather that we've made up for it in the colder weather (in regards to reporting to the district).

And my girls are extremely active all day long so they are always getting exercise. No couch kids here, except when I do "mandatory sit down" because I.just.need.a.break!:D

They play outside, they play at indoor/outdoor playgrounds. Sylvia has gymnastics 1 hour a week; Rebecca has it 9 hours a week. Up at Grandma's, they bike and play on the scooter. They got roller skates for Christmas, but they're so unsteady on them, DH can't help them both and the last thing we need is for Rebecca to bust an ankle or wrist and not be able to do gymnastics. Yes, they do have helmets and pads.

Open the back door. Pour another cup 'o joe for myself. PE box - Check! :001_smile:

They get even more on scout nights and at other scouting events.

Compared to the other kids we're around, my kids are all very active, eat more than their peers, yet stay skinny minnies who need belts to hold their britches up. It takes a 3 day camp completely loaded with activity to get my kids to act even somewhat worn out. I'm not worried about them needing more exercise in the slightest. ;)

We do lots of outside play while the weather is nice. If the weather is just not good for outside, then we will usually break out the Wii. The boys have both played baseball as well and have taken swimming lessons. We just consider all these things everyday life and not really formal PE, though.

Looking for future ideas.

Right now I have my daughters in a once a week dance class. It's been a fun way to keep them active. Having gone to public school myself and know how much P.E. we did, I've been wondering if I need to plan to do anything with my kids more along the lines of P.E. I'm thinking mostly to keep them active. What do you do? Are there any great homeschool P.E. Books? I've looked but can't find any. Or any fun videos that you and your kids have loved to do together (talking yoga, aerobics type videos). Any ideas?

Son plays travel hockey. Daughter walks on campus (but she has already passed state P.E. requirements anyway).

DS13 is a 2nd Degree Black Belt in Tang Soo Do and goes to practice 2 - 3 times a week. He does an hour-long swim class once a week in the fall, winter, and spring and plays baseball in the spring and fall. At home, he's outside every spare minute playing or pitching from his mound. P.E. was one of those things I didn't even remotely think about when we started homeschooling. It just... happens around here.

Until this year my dc have been on a swim team each year. My oldest ds took karate for several years until he got his black belt. At that point he decided to stop. This year my dc are taking tennis lessons, but they aren't really enjoying it, so we'll probably only do that for the fall. As a family, we take a lot of walks and do a lot of biking.

My girls are in gymnastics an hour a week so that is part of their "pe". We also do an every other week open gym at their gymnastics gym where they can go and practice skills, just play in the pits etc. Then on the other days of the week I have our "PE book". I use one of the little composition books from the dollar store and at the top of each page write numbers (1-whatever) then on each page I do have what we will do for PE that day. Some days it says "Go to walking park and ride bikes for the afternoon", some are things like "Run 3 laps around house, do 20 jumping jacks, do 5 push ups, do 5 situps", "Play one on one soccer for an hour" etc. But every page is different. I don't do them in order so the girls never know what the page they are assigned will end up being. We do something daily so at our PE time I just say "ok, we are doing page xyz today. Go see what you need to do."

We also have another "get the wiggles out" book that is the same idea but just shorter smaller things for my oldest to do when she is having a hard time sitting down and concentrating. It's short things like "crab walk around the living room" or "have a 5 minute dance party".

Combo of organized and non-organized activities works here:

Organized:

Homeschool PE class, mixed group 7--15 yrs. fantastic instructor teaches technical details and just has fun, very inclusive of all ability levels.

Karate and Fencing for DS11

Swimming and Gymnastics for DS9

Disorganized:

Good weather--

Bike rides together daily

Run laps around the yard, inc. number weekly for endurance

Play football, baseball, soccer, tag, swings, rock wall, lacrosse, frisbee, monkey in the middle, dodgeball, sword fighting, etc.

Stomp rockets

Hiking

General unstructured play

Heavy bag work (do NOT attempt this unless you really understand it. Heavy bags and kids can be a very dangerous combination and damage their growth plates and ligaments and tendons. My kids do this only occasionally and under close supervision).

BB Gun

Bad Weather--

Ping Pong

Playground ball catch in basement

Wii Fit, Wii sports Resort, other active Wii and PS3 games.

Feats of strength <grin> (ie how long can you hold a plank, do push-ups, crunches, etc)

Hyper dash

Hopscotch

Toss Across

How fast can you scrub the kitchen floor?

Gentle weight lifting/stretching/resistance band work

Bosu Ball work

Work with Physio Ball

Movement is pretty much a daily requirement in our house, rain or shine. My kids are not really athletes, but they are active.

My 9 year old would do Just Dance Wii or Zumba Wii all day long if I'd let her. They are an awesome workout. She also joins in on my Zumba class usually once a week. When the weather is nice and it's not buggie...she does outside stuff too: ride bike, practice her stilts, scooter, trampoline......

I really let the kids decide what to do, but I try to offer a variety of options. Dd has done gymnastics and ice skating in the past, but now takes 3 hours of ballet per week. Both kids took swimming lessons during the summer, and both kids are currently in bowling. After Christmas, ds4 wants to do gymnastics in place of bowling. I personally use an exercise DVD, and they frequently join me for that.

I tried to have them just play outside a lot, but ds4 doesn't like to play outside (like me), and they didn't do much when they were out there. They really need someone pushing them to do something more, and I don't have the energy to do that.

We're at the ice rink four times a week.

Tuesday: Homeschool Skate - unstructured skate time for an hour.

Friday: Ice Hockey practice - structured practice for one hour.

Saturday: Power Skating - 30 minutes of nothing but power skating (and by far the class that wears them out the most)

Sunday: Ice Hockey games - roughly 30-45 minutes of fast-paced (for their ages) ice hockey. Time varies depending on which line they're playing on.

Outside every day it's not raining.

We have done gymnastics, ballet, baseball in the past. This year we are doing swimming, ballet and possibly soccer. I bought some sport stuff (nets, balls, etc) on clearance and we play around with those. I try to give the kids a basic understanding of the rules in multiple games. We also try to get to different playgrounds so they try different equipment and skills. At least once a year we make a obstacle course in the yard, or the house. The kids will go through it, blind fold each other and lead each other through it, things like that. On a general day-to-day basis though, if they get outside for an hour, I call it done. :)

Ds9 does taekwondo 3 hours a week and dance (ballet, tap, and jazz) also 3 hours a week. In addition, once a week or every two weeks he plays either tennis or basketball with his dad. Sometimes we go to the pool.

Dd5 does ballet 2 hours a week and goes to the park/playground once a week.

We do a nature walk once a week. Every other week we all go to P.E. for homeschoolers an hour away.

I would like to incorporate biking as it's fall and finally getting cool enough (70s instead of 80s and 90s with bright full sun).

Oh yeah, and outdoor unstructured play whenever we can.

Edited by sagira

PE is only two classes a week here, and from what I've heard, a large amount of that time is spent walking around the track, not doing other activities. So I feel reasonably confident in counting DD's dance and tumbling classes as her PE. She gets some of the group games stuff each week at co-op, too, since our co-op includes those activities for the younger kids.

My dd is soon to be 10. She attends the local public elementary school for Music and PE once a week (Tuesdays). She also does To-Shin Do once a week on Wednesdays. She is working on her 6th belt for this and loves it.

We also just signed up for the local Star Bright Theater group. Nothing to do with PE, but she says they do a lot of dancing and bouncing around in their acting.

We have family time fitness and some yoga dvds that we do sometimes. I don't worry much as we have to walk everywhere and the kids are mega bouncy and never still anyway plus they play outside as much as possible . We used to swim more but I personally find pools a bit disgusting, all the ones round here are really run down so it's not fun.

Edited by lailasmum

We turned our FROG (finished room over garage) into a gym. There's an elliptical, treadmill, tv, lots of dvd's, weights, and other equipment. Otherwise, they can bike, walk, run, mow, etc.

Hubby and I exercise daily. So far, the oldest boy who has an IT desk job isn't the least bit interested in being fit =/

The next kid is too busy with college and work =/

So, the last two are required to get 45 minutes of exercise every day. It's part of the school day.

Alas, you can lead a horse to water.....

Smiles,

Teresa