Menu

Do you "roll with" the unexpected or get your knickers in a twist?

How I long to be a roll with it kind of gal. I hate the feel of twisted knickers. They can be so uncomfortable in those little cracks and crevices. Plus, it would make life a lot easier, since I live with a man who grew up with the Spontanes. Not really. But, the way my husband and inlaws operate, it's rare for them to show much frustration over the unplanned. In fact, the first time I met them, I followed dh into their kitchen at dinnertime completely unannounced. Husband-to-be scared the wine cooler out of his mama by tapping on the sliding glass door as they sat round the table. It was dark. I'm sure all you could see from inside was his big, goofy grin peering in beside my giggly face.

So, you can see what I'm up against.

Today, within the course of a few hours, I had to make room for a piano. A PIANO!! I live in a house of maybe 1,100 square feet! In his defense, we had some idea that the piano was coming. Friends had offered to give it to us (yes, yes, that's so generous..now shut up). Said friends didn't think to call ahead and let us know that today was the day they wanted to be done with their old piano. So, dh was left holding the bag...er...keys. Unfortunately, dh didn't think to phone me to give me any clue that he and four manly men were about to show up on my doorstep with an upright piano. kaBLAM! There they were, ready to move the sucker in.

Quick! Move the leather chair and the hassock. Now! Move the lamp, the stacks of books, the bookshelf, the artwork, the board games, the trinkets, the cd player, the rug. Over there! Put the chair that will no longer fit because there's now a piano to take its place - oh, and that lamp, too. Fast! Lock the cats in the bedroom so they don't get out the door while chaos reigns. Hurry! Get the vacuum cleaner to suck up the crud behind the space where all the other furniture once lived before slamming this out of tune piano against the wall, sealing the dirt behind it forever. Oh, and I'm so pleased to be showing off my crud to these manly men. Because I do so love a surprise!

For almost three hours we managed the unexpected. The living areas of the house are now fairly rearranged. A few spots that haven't been cleaned in over a year have been cleaned. If I can just remember that my trash can no longer lives there, but instead it's now over there, I might make it through the rest of the day without obsessing over how to best turn a certain someone into a very old eunuch! :glare:

He has no idea how forgiving I am. No idea at all.

So...would it make you feel better to call it a SURPRISE?

I love surprises. Yeah, a phone call would have been nice, but really is this a big deal in the long run?

But then, flexibility is my middle name....

Go play something wonderful on that piano and fill your soul with music.

Yes, I would be a bit "twisted in the knickers" myself! A piano showing up at my doorstep??? I hope it wasn't a baby grand or anything!

It sounds like you were gracious and worked quickly to move everything around, despite the unexpected circumstances. I would be a bit frustrated, too, about WHAM-BANG! having to move everything.

I hope it's a good piano and serves you well for many years. :)

I felt a bit "twisted in the knickers" today, too. We got a wedding invitation in the mail from some cousins on my husband's side of the family. They live in the middle of Kansas. There's no way we'll be able to go to the wedding. Enclosed was a detailed list of places the wedding couple was registered. Is this common to see this in wedding invitations these days? We'll probably send a check, but somehow this invitation struck me as a bit "off".

Perhaps I need to go straighten those knickers out. :glare:

Doran, I think you deserve

A Major Award

for your understanding and flexibility.

I'd like to say I roll with it, and usually I do. But right now, my knickers are in a twist. First I was going to watch the neighbor's kids for two hours on MOnday. Then they were going to spend Sunday night with us. Then Saturday and Sunday night. Well, they came Saturday and they are. still. here.

I love these boys, I really do. But, I need for this to end!

(Good neighbors, completely something they can't control, would do the same for me in a heartbeat. So really, I can't complain. But I am.:D)

How I long to be a roll with it kind of gal. I hate the feel of twisted knickers. They can be so uncomfortable in those little cracks and crevices. Plus, it would make life a lot easier, since I live with a man who grew up with the Spontanes. Not really. But, the way my husband and inlaws operate, it's rare for them to show much frustration over the unplanned. In fact, the first time I met them, I followed dh into their kitchen at dinnertime completely unannounced. Husband-to-be scared the wine cooler out of his mama by tapping on the sliding glass door as they sat round the table. It was dark. I'm sure all you could see from inside was his big, goofy grin peering in beside my giggly face.

Today, within the course of a few hours, I had to make room for a piano. A PIANO!! I live in a house of maybe 1,100 square feet! In his defense, we had some idea that the piano was coming. Friends had offered to give it to us (yes, yes, that's so generous..now shut up). Said friends didn't think to call ahead and let us know that today was the day they wanted to be done with their old piano. So, dh was left holding the bag...er...keys. Unfortunately, dh didn't think to phone me to give me any clue that he and four manly men were about to show up on my doorstep with an upright piano. kaBLAM! There they were, ready to move the sucker in.

Quick! Move the leather chair and the hassock. Now! Move the lamp, the stacks of books, the bookshelf, the artwork, the board games, the trinkets, the cd player, the rug. Over there! Put the chair that will no longer fit because there's now a piano to take its place - oh, and that lamp, too. Fast! Lock the cats in the bedroom so they don't get out the door while chaos reigns. Hurry! Get the vacuum cleaner to suck up the crud behind the space where all the other furniture once lived before slamming this out of tune piano against the wall, sealing the dirt behind it forever. Oh, and I'm so pleased to be showing off my crud to these manly men. Because I do so love a surprise!

For almost three hours we managed the unexpected. The living areas of the house are now fairly rearranged. A few spots that haven't been cleaned in over a year have been cleaned. If I can just remember that my trash can no longer lives there, but instead it's now over there, I might make it through the rest of the day without obsessing over how to best turn a certain someone into a very old eunuch! :glare:

Your dh must be my dh's long lost brother. He does this to me daily. One time he bought a house without me knowing. My knickers aren't twisted, they are strangling me.

In no way can I roll.

Jet

I would like to say I can roll with it, but I'm afraid I get my knickers in a twist far too often for that to really be true.

I think I am pretty good in an emergency situation. I can remain calm until everything is taken care of and things settle down. I am not so good in unexpected situations which are not an emergency. Those situations often make me quite angry. Do not make me angry.

Sometimes I can be very laid back and enjoy taking things as they come. When we are taking a trip, I like to stop at lots of unexpected places along the way. If we see something coming up that looks interesting (and that could be a museum or an old building or just one of those funny Muffler Men), I want to stop and take a look. I like to dilly dally and enjoy the journey rather than rushing to get where we're going. (Dh, not so much.) Other times I get very stressed out if things do not go according to plan or if the schedule gets out of whack. Just someone popping by without warning can set me off. (Oh, I'll wait till they're gone to rant about it.) If it's someone we don't see often, I don't mind so much. If it's someone we see often (like SIL) and I feel they just aren't being very considerate in popping in like that and then they want to hang around forever, I'm annoyed. I feel like they are invading my space and taking up all my free time.

I was thinking about this the other day and wondering what the difference is, why I can fly by the seat of my pants sometimes and be perfectly happy and other times it completely throws me off. The answer is that I am fine with change as long as I'm in control or it is necessary. If the change isn't necessary, wasn't planned, and was someone else's idea, I'm pretty pissy about it. Yes, I am a control freak!

Congrats on the piano...!!!

Not everyone is wired that way.....I think you either roll or twist.

The way my life has been from birth to marriage....I have had to learn to roll or find a padded room.

You may not realize it but you really did roll and accomplished so much!!! Now you can cross the hidden dust bunnies off the list. You have extricated them from your abode.....:lol:

It's not uncommon around here for my husband to walk in the door and tell me he went dumpster diving and brought home 20 computers to part out and see what he can put together for donations to needy kids. Granted it took him 2 years...but YaY!!! He's finally finished......:001_huh: :tongue_smilie:

I laugh then roll......You have to ask yourself....was there anything you could have really done to prevent being caught unawares. Most of the time the answer is going to be no. Laugh. Laugh at the situation. Then pick yourself up and say...this too shall pass.

I learned that maybe I needed the lesson in flexibility. I just have to roll with it.....

Oh....may we see a picture of your new piece of furniture? We have an old upright grand downstairs that was made in 1879. It's a gorgeous piece of workmanship...but it would need to be gutted and have new felts and strings before it would ever be in tune. It's in tune with itself. That's what the tuner told us.......:lol:

At 20, 30, 40 - definitely a twisted knicker sort of gal. Now, at almost 50, more of an Elegantlion-type Gumby. It hurt to get that way though. I caused a lot of pain and I endured a lot of pain. Geesh - it sure took a long time to grow up.

I'm with Bill - wow, you got a piano! That's just waaaay nifty.

I live in 1100 sf too. We have a piano, 2 armchairs, a sofa, a large computer desk, a child's table with 2 chairs and a bench, a tv armoire, a corner china cabinet, 2 end tables, 2 bookcases (one of which holds 2 of three computers in the room), and an elliptical machine all in our 15X15 LR. We're cozy (she said as she stared back at her computer screen in a vain attempt to tune it all out).

:grouphug: and congrats!

I'm most definitely a 'knickers in a twist' kind of gal, but I'll get twisty over much smaller things than that. I would have never lived through what you described! You're a saint, Doran!

I'm a lot like Jenni in that I can be spontaneous if it's still under my control. If we're out doing something fun, I might even plan on adding a little spontaneity. ;)

I am not so good in unexpected situations which are not an emergency. Those situations often make me quite angry.

I've seen with dh and one of my dds that sometimes because of lack of planning, things become necessary that really weren't unexpected, if only they were done in a timely manner. That really gets to me.

Just someone popping by without warning can set me off. (Oh, I'll wait till they're gone to rant about it.) If it's someone we don't see often, I don't mind so much. If it's someone we see often (like SIL) and I feel they just aren't being very considerate in popping in like that and then they want to hang around forever, I'm annoyed. I feel like they are invading my space and taking up all my free time.

I don't like popovers of any sort. Thankfully, everyone knows that now and takes the time to pick up the phone, but I still get phone calls to the tune of, "I'm right around the corner from your house..." That's when I just roll with it, since I was at least given a warning.

The answer is that I am fine with change as long as I'm in control or it is necessary.

One of my dds is very fly-by-the-seat-of-her-pants. I'm trying to get it across to her that if you've already made plans, you don't change them just because something better comes along. A few times I've cooked a special dinner (something that's her favorite), and she ends up asking at the last minute if she can go somewhere. I don't let her.

I've also had problems with this same child in regards to school supplies. At the beginning of last year, I said there was to be a permanent list on the refrigerator of things she needed and we'd buy them on the weekend. The list never happened, and I can't count how many times we had to run out and get art supplies or a book on a weeknight. I'm cracking down this year big time! I just don't believe teachers assign something needing supplies for the very next day, and I told her that if they do, she needs to tell them to get organized. :)

I do have to put up w/dh being spontaneous, but he knows me well enough to try to give me advance warning of anything. Most of the time. He used to bring home stray dogs all the time, and he doesn't do that anymore.

At 20, 30, 40 - definitely a twisted knicker sort of gal. Now, at almost 50, more of an Elegantlion-type Gumby. It hurt to get that way though. I caused a lot of pain and I endured a lot of pain. Geesh - it sure took a long time to grow up.

I can relate to this. I used to need more control and my knickers would most likely have been strangling someone else! (now that's a picture for ya)

Now I'm more relaxed over all, but still have those hormonal days when everything twists my knickers.

I relate to what Gardenschooler said too about being much more ok with upheaval if I am the one who planned it ;)

Enjoy your piano. We have one sitting in our great room taking up space and nobody plays it except a friend of my kids who comes over very seldom. I wish I could give it the heave-ho, but dd says she wants it some day when she moves out. At least there is a light at the end of the tunnel...She will be taking the dog, one of the cats, and the piano. Maybe I should help her apartment shop. :D

I can relate to this. I used to need more control and my knickers would most likely have been strangling someone else! (now that's a picture for ya)

Enjoy your piano. We have one sitting in our great room taking up space and nobody plays it except a friend of my kids who comes over very seldom. I wish I could give it the heave-ho, but dd says she wants it some day when she moves out. At least there is a light at the end of the tunnel...She will be taking the dog, one of the cats, and the piano. Maybe I should help her apartment shop. :D

Make that apartment ground floor! I inherited a piano and my parents helped me move it several times. They wouldn't take it back when we moved last time, so I had to sell it. 800 miles was too far to drag it.

Guest Virginia Dawn
I do the twist, at least for a little while. Once I wrap my mind around a change, though, I can usually find a way to make it work.

That's me,15 minutes of twisting and shouting then I'm ready to knuckle down and get to work.

I'm a roll with it gal....not that I don't get my knickers in a twist...just that I totally 'get over it' really fast....my friend and I were just talking about this...and what I really think is the issue for me....is that I simply do not have the attention span to stay angry/irritated/whatever. LOL I'm all, "grrrrrrrrrr.....that really pis....look a squirrel!"

I'm a roll with it gal....not that I don't get my knickers in a twist...just that I totally 'get over it' really fast....my friend and I were just talking about this...and what I really think is the issue for me....is that I simply do not have the attention span to stay angry/irritated/whatever. LOL I'm all, "grrrrrrrrrr.....that really pis....look a squirrel!"

HA!!!!! :lol:

I've tried to become more easy-going and spontaneous over the years, but it's been a struggle. I'm wired to like routine and consistency.

In YOUR situation, Doran, I would definitely have been twisted into a kink. I think my DH knows there would've been hell to pay if he hadn't at least phoned me when he was getting ready to move it out of the other house. The other parts were outside your family's control completely.

I hope you enjoy your piano when you get untwisted.

:iagree: That's almost exactly what I do! My family knows to wait a couple minutes through the storm, then I'm fine! :001_smile:

As much as I would like to be a roll with it person, I'm pretty sure I am a card-carrying member of the Twisted Knickers Club. Sometimes, like if someone were to drop a piano off at my house:D, I would be WAY to excited to care about what was going to have to be rearranged! And, I have learned for the most part not to have my plans set in stone, or let my expectations get too high, because they stress when things don't work out is just not worth it.

However, let's look at last year. Having another baby - SURPRISE! Beth nearly faints. Then it's a boy. Nearly faints again. Dh has to work all. the. time. until baby is born. Crib is in WI with sister. No baby stuff left in the attic except for some girl clothes from the wrong season. The room that has to be the nursery has just been reorganized into the office/homeschool room and no one is arranging the nursery. No nesting for the Mama. This causes great amounts of stress, but Dad is supposed to bring baby stuff from sister and SIL to NC in June. Gas is too expensive to come in June as planned so decides he will bring everything in August when the baby is born. Beth MELTS DOWN AND THROWS A TEMPER TANTRUM. Not so much with the rolling. If family had been in reach, the knickers would have been used to strangle them all.

Yes, I was pregnant. It's not the only time I've thrown a fit when things didn't go the way I was counting on them going, though. Not my prouder moments. Hence the conscious effort not to set expectations too high. Heh.

I have arguments inside my head sometimes. "It was supposed to be this way. Yes, I know it was supposed to be this way. It's not happening. You need to get over it. I don't want to get over it. I want it to be MY WAY. You still have to get over it because you can't change the situation. Are you really really sure? If I try hard enough, I bet it can be my way. Nope. You're out of luck. NO, really, if I just explain it again, everyone will see why it needs to be my way." I feel like there is a (somewhat) rational person inside my head duking it out with the one who wants to throw a tantrum. :lol:

I roll with it! I'm actually just the opposite of the "twisted knickers". If I know about it in advance, I twist! I would stress about where the piano's going to go? how will we get it here? and end up not getting a piano. hm. now that I think about it this is exactly what happened. I was supposed to get my mom's piano, but had no idea how to get it here. dh kept saying he would call someone, but we both kept putting it off. One day my mom called and said "Hey, my friends son-in-law is here with the truck, we are bringing the piano" :)

I can handle surprises much better because I don't have time to think. I just react.

I can get worked up in a hurry. Fortunately, I work down pretty quickly, too. Today, I had to get myself together rapidly enough to ask for what I wanted before dh slipped off to work again. While he was yammering about how it would only take 15 minutes to get the house back together, I realized that it was the household chaos that had me most distraught. So, I said, "Could we please do that now -- put the house back together now?" Once we started down that path together, I was moving forward again rather than suffocating in my knicker twist. It took dh another half hour for me to feel safe letting him leave. The girls and I tackled the remainder. So, even though I am still tossing my trash over there instead of over here, I am no longer considering the sharpness of my knives! :D

To gardenschooler who called me a saint -- you're my best friend forever, pinky swear!:lol:

I've always coped pretty well with the unexpected - living overseas you have to be flexible or go home - but part of our move to Scotland is caused by our just not wanting to have to cope so much any more. The last weekend that DH was in China with us, in one day we had a power cut, our water turned off and the lift/elevator disabled. All the services were back on within a few hours, but I really look forward to fewer unexpected happenings.

Laura

Me, I'm great in an emergency. I've had emergency room nurses ask me if I wanted to consider emergency medicine. When bad stuff happens, a flow chart immediately imprints itself into my brain, and I just start following it. I'm a rock. James Bond would call me for advice if he had to do it all without the gadgets.

Minor thing--like a surprise piano or someone bringing steaks for dinner instead of the tofu I had planned or a sudden rainstorm when I'm at school with the bike--these things knock me out for days.

Me, I'm great in an emergency. I've had emergency room nurses ask me if I wanted to consider emergency medicine. When bad stuff happens, a flow chart immediately imprints itself into my brain, and I just start following it. I'm a rock. James Bond would call me for advice if he had to do it all without the gadgets.

Minor thing--like a surprise piano or someone bringing steaks for dinner instead of the tofu I had planned or a sudden rainstorm when I'm at school with the bike--these things knock me out for days.

Oh my goodness! That's *just* what I was about to post. I mean, I don't think James Bond will be calling me, & I don't like people *describing* blood, much less actually losing it, but otherwise, I'm w/ ya!

The piano? No problem. Dropping everything to come to seminary? Sure! Driving through a place we never go like, say, Burger King? Not only no, but NOOOOO. I'd rather starve. I'm in tears at the mere suggestion. Because a body can't *read* the menu in the dr through. There's not time. And a body won't eat anything weird. And there are people waiting behind me. Watching.

Also, don't take a different rte home. I don't care if you think it's faster, we don't go that way. If you *want* to go that way, give me fair warning, so that I can get emotionally acclamated to the idea. TYVM.

I am a rollin' kind of gal. In fact I am the one to routinely spring something on dh. "we are going for a drive honey.....to Oregon." :D "Honey do you love me? I just bought us new furniture."

:D poor guy, he needs to plan everything under the sun, he has had to adjust.

Congrats on the piano! I wish everyday someone will not call me and show up on my doorstep. :D Hope the knickers smooth out soon.

I'm a roller!! Very much a roller. Think of the beautiful music and unwind those knickers. Better yet, let your dh do it for you! ;)

I'm a roller. DH is a knicker twister. I spend a great amount of time rolling around him to untwist his knickers. I feel like I say "RELAX," about 20 times a day. I've untwisted a whole lot of knickers today. I'm a little over it. Excuse my mini rant. No offense to all of the knicker twisters out there!

I'm a roller. DH is a knicker twister. I spend a great amount of time rolling around him to untwist his knickers. I feel like I say "RELAX," about 20 times a day. I've untwisted a whole lot of knickers today. I'm a little over it. Excuse my mini rant. No offense to all of the knicker twisters out there!

Yes...I get a bit tired of telling my dh to chill as well....LOL

because my dh is also a spontaneous kind of guy. It's one of the things I first liked about him way back when we started dating. I didn't realize then what the implications were for when we began to have children.....

NOW, my only choice is to roll or go crazy. Dh is in the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease, which means that he gets an idea in his head and can't let it go. So, for instance, if he decides he needs to go get his hair cut, he'll mention it every 10 minutes until I cave and take him, even if it wasn't what I'd planned for the day.

Okay, so I posted about how I've had to learn to roll with the unexpected. Then yesterday happened, LOL. I got VERY worked up when I checked bank accounts status online. Then I flew out of the house without thinking things through.

Thankfully, I got calmed down enough that I was able to speak nicely to the customer service rep at the bank. And in turn, she was willing and able to reverse two overdraft charges on my ds's account. And she took her time to really explain to us what had happened. Banking doesn't happen like it used to!!

Lol, dh and I are both like this. he comes home with furniture too ( we love 2nd hand stuff and you never know when a bargain too good to be true will turn up, never mind you already have three of them, it was a steal).

I come home with baby pets. OK, so does he, now I come to think about it! We take turns.

The other day, he came and told me he was buying me a new car- well 2nd hand new car. We hadnt discussed it, I didnt even know I needed one, loved my old car. New 2nd hand car was 3 doors down, it was a bargain, so that was it, bought in the blink of an eye. Actually, it was a good deal, and upon subsequent discussion I am convinced I really did need a new 2nd hand car, so its all good.

New piano? Oh, thats nothing around here. He did that to me too one day ;)

This is off the topic, but as our family took off to the cow pasture for an evening walk, I was thinking about your "knickers in twist" phrase and nancypant's "nightie in a knot" phrase and wondered if that has the same meaning when we used to say, "Have a cow." Surely you remember how often we used that one, right? I enjoy seeing the progression of our phrasiologies. So, in other words, I was thinkin aboucha last night.

This is off the topic, but as our family took off to the cow pasture for an evening walk, I was thinking about your "knickers in twist" phrase and nancypant's "nightie in a knot" phrase and wondered if that has the same meaning when we used to say, "Have a cow." Surely you remember how often we used that one, right? I enjoy seeing the progression of our phrasiologies. So, in other words, I was thinkin aboucha last night.

And, I have no idea whether bunchy nighties and knickers are at all related to birthing bovines, but I can say I'd a whole lot rather do the former than the latter! Yee-ouch! Seems like twisted knickers is more of an irritation while having a cow is an all out production - you know, down in the dirt, sleeves rolled up, rubber gloves, the whole nine yards (there's another phrase to ponder). ETA: The sometimes used expression -- Further up and father in! -- comes to mind here.

Thanks for thinking of me! :001_smile: